Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reggie sees a little of Peyton in Andrew......

NewColtsFan

Reggie 'went there'....   he made the comparison last night in an interview.

The story is on the front page of ESPN.com for all eyes.....

He didn't make a full blanket comparison....   only that he sees some very similar and very positive traits in Luck that Manning also had....

Read, and enjoy!      :thmup:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp13/story/_/id/9546523/reggie-wayne-indianapolis-colts-sees-some-peyton-manning-andrew-luck

sounds like he is a leader

the comparison was mainly to work ethic and communicating with the team

that is good to hear

yeah too bad about the comparisons that are bound to happen around the broncos game

anyway, thanks for the link

Guest TeamLoloJones

What I take away from the article is that Luck is at least starting to possess my single favorite trait that Peyton Manning had.  He holds everyone accountable, and holds everyone to a higher standard.  Not so much this is my huddle you better do what I say, but more so "Hey guys lets all do our jobs and do them right! Ya dig?"

Guest TeamLoloJones

i'm confused awhile back..reggie said he didn't want andrew to be compared to peyton...he wanted andrew to have his own legacy

Reggie even says he hates to say it but he couldn't help it.  I have a picture in my head, that ever since Luck was drafted, Reggie tells himself every morning in the mirror: "I won't compare Andrew to Peyton, I won't compare Andrew to Peyton, I won't compare Andrew to Peyton, Andrew is a lot like Peyton,  DANG IT!!!"  

But in all seriousness, as much as I want Luck to create his own legacy, being mentioned in the same breath as Peyton Manning, especially by Reggie, is about as high of praise you can get in the game of football.

I figure Andrew will have this happen until a few years after Peyton retires. Then it'll only be when he does something big, like win the Superbowl or breaks the TD record. Just a feeling I have. It took about 3 years for the Farve/Rogers comparisons to stop being mentioned everytime Rogers played. 

Playing style wise i see more of Big Ben with Rodgers athleticism and Peyton's Pocket awareness. Luck uses his size and strength and holds on to the ball until the last second. Peyton doesn't hold on to the ball for very long has quicker release. Personalities are different as well Peyton is a fiery guy will yell at team mates who runs wrong routes or drop balls,similar to Brady. Has also got into altercations with Jeff Saturday and Tarik Glenn. Peyton lives, eats, breathes, smokes, , chews football,he expects other people to approach it the way he does. It's not always a good thing. Luck is more like Eli very laid back.

Playing style wise i see more of Big Ben with Rodgers athleticism and Peyton's Pocket awareness. Luck uses his size and strength and holds on to the ball until the last second. Peyton doesn't hold on to the ball for very long has quicker release. Personalities are different as well Peyton is a fiery guy will yell at team mates who runs wrong routes or drop balls,similar to Brady. Has also got into altercations with Jeff Saturday and Tarik Glenn. Peyton lives, eats, breathes, smokes, , chews football,he expects other people to approach it the way he does. It's not always a good thing. Luck is more like Eli very laid back.

Its never better to be less committed and more laid back

Hopefully he better in playoffs than peyton

First- at least he'll have an Offensive Coordinator who will actually do his job in the playoffs, instead of sitting back & letting the QB do it for him.

Second- If he plays in 2 SuperBowls & wins 1, I'll take that.

Andrew has had comparisons done for much of his football career. 

For my money, Luck reminds me of a young Elway. The smart Stanford kid with a great arm, we can also make some plays with his legs. Also Luck has that clutch ability that Elway had. Thankfully Luck ended up playing for us, unlike Elway.

I expect this season to be a step forward for Luck, he will improve on his performance from last year and could make a case to be MVP.

And here's Jeff Saturday saying he's heard the same things about Andrew that Reggie was saying...

He also adds that Wayne does NOT throw around compliments very easily....   so for Reggie to do so means he's REALLY impressed with Andrew...

Here's the story, with tape of Saturday on SportsCenter with the very good Bram Weinstein....

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/52136/former-colt-backs-waynes-analysis-of-luck

Andrew has had comparisons done for much of his football career. 

For my money, Luck reminds me of a young Elway. The smart Stanford kid with a great arm, we can also make some plays with his legs. Also Luck has that clutch ability that Elway had. Thankfully Luck ended up playing for us, unlike Elway.

I expect this season to be a step forward for Luck, he will improve on his performance from last year and could make a case to be MVP.

That was my thought, too....

Elway was a powerful thrower and he could throw with peole hanging on him.

He also could take big hits and jump back up.

Elway wasnt as accurate as Manning but neither is Andrew......at leats not yet...

If I had one game to win all time..with 2 minutes to go down 6...

It would be Johnny Unitas, Peyton Manning  or John Elway...

But with the young receivers Indy has (TY, Brazill, DHB, the tight ends and even Griff Whalen) Andrew could reach that extremely high level very quickly

sounds like he is a leader

the comparison was mainly to work ethic and communicating with the team

that is good to hear

yeah too bad about the comparisons that are bound to happen around the broncos game

anyway, thanks for the link

Nadine, off-topic here.

But do you know if the chat will be open for the Bills game? Thanks in advance for your answer

Hopefully he better in playoffs than peyton

I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that no quarterback has suffered 

And here's Jeff Saturday saying he's heard the same things about Andrew that Reggie was saying...

He also adds that Wayne does NOT throw around compliments very easily....   so for Reggie to do so means he's REALLY impressed with Andrew...

Here's the story, with tape of Saturday on SportsCenter with the very good Bram Weinstein....

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/52136/former-colt-backs-waynes-analysis-of-luck

I like what Mike Wells is doing for ESPN.com, mostly because I'm not really a fan of Paul Kuharsky overall. But this was egregious:

Saturday was Manning's teammate in Indianapolis for nine seasons. Saturday played in Green Bay last season before retiring and becoming an ESPN analyst.

Try 13, Mike. 13 seasons.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SatuJe55.htm

Other than that, good thoughts there.

Reggie 'went there'.... he made the comparison last night in an interview.

The story is on the front page of ESPN.com for all eyes.....

He didn't make a full blanket comparison.... only that he sees some very similar and very positive traits in Luck that Manning also had....

Read, and enjoy! :thmup:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp13/story/_/id/9546523/reggie-wayne-indianapolis-colts-sees-some-peyton-manning-andrew-luck

Really cool article, I was thinking about posting this myself but I never post anything worthwhile!!!! Nice post.......

I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that no quarterback has suffered 

I like what Mike Wells is doing for ESPN.com, mostly because I'm not really a fan of Paul Kuharsky overall. But this was egregious:

Saturday was Manning's teammate in Indianapolis for nine seasons. Saturday played in Green Bay last season before retiring and becoming an ESPN analyst.

Try 13, Mike. 13 seasons.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SatuJe55.htm

Other than that, good thoughts there.

You're not a fan of Kuharsky?     Really?     May I ask why?  

I like him......

He is a cross between Peyton and Rothlesberger IMO. He has similar skills and work ethic of Manning and the b@!!s to stay in the pocket or run for the first down like Ben does. I also think he will have at least two titles like Big Ben before he hangs up his cleats.

With a little bit of Cam Newton like athleticism sprinkled in.  

Honestly if he wouldn't have come out in the same draft class as a world class sprinter in RG3 the news media types would be marveling at how athletic Luck is.  

You're not a fan of Kuharsky?     Really?     May I ask why?  

I like him......

Do you ever read his chat transcripts? They mostly leave me feeling like he hasn't said anything.

I don't dislike him. I just don't think he does a good job of providing new information or fresh angles on information we already have. I'm nonplussed by his contributions.

JMO

He is a cross between Peyton and Rothlesberger IMO. He has similar skills and work ethic of Manning and the b@!!s to stay in the pocket or run for the first down like Ben does. I also think he will have at least two titles like Big Ben before he hangs up his cleats.

Heartily agree. But faster than Roth. oh ya!

thank god no more Whiny POUTY FACE

Powerful compliments from players who ought to know. 

My hope is Luck doesn't have the perfectionistic attitude Peyton seemed to have.  I realize high expectations are important, but Peyton seemed to want perfection from everyone on every play in practice and games.  Not everyone was capable of perfection and our offense got predictable at times IMO.  I would like Luck to embrace a less-traditional style using more deception, even trickery, than Peyton ever would attempt. 

Wouldn't trade the Peyton years for anything, but here's hoping Andrew (and Pep) can keep defenses guessing when those tight playoff games are on the line in the future.

Powerful compliments from players who ought to know.

My hope is Luck doesn't have the perfectionistic attitude Peyton seemed to have. I realize high expectations are important, but Peyton seemed to want perfection from everyone on every play in practice and games. Not everyone was capable of perfection and our offense got predictable at times IMO. I would like Luck to embrace a less-traditional style using more deception, even trickery, than Peyton ever would attempt.

Wouldn't trade the Peyton years for anything, but here's hoping Andrew (and Pep) can keep defenses guessing when those tight playoff games are on the line in the future.

I agree and that's been the whole premise this year. I've seen guys playing different positions all around the offense with a lot of different formations.