Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Not Hearing High Praise For...

HarassedOffTheSite

I'm listening to all the podcasts & watching the videos on the Colts.com app (because the website's media sucks). I'm hearing a lot of good things. Hearing a lot of rah rah stuff.

But I'm not hearing anything good regarding the Oline. Um not hearing much at all. Lamay rattles on about everything but the Oline. Nothing good or bad about them.

Considering this unit above all others had to get better, its a little disconcerting.

I'm listening to all the podcasts & watching the videos on the Colts.com app (because the website's media sucks). I'm hearing a lot of good things. Hearing a lot of rah rah stuff.

But I'm not hearing anything good regarding the Oline. Um not hearing much at all. Lamay rattles on about everything but the Oline. Nothing good or bad about them.

Considering this unit above all others had to get better, its a little disconcerting.

I read somewhere that Cherilus was looking real good.

Practice is really tough to figure out who's doing good or bad on the lines.  When a D Linemen breaks through and makes a great play, is it because he's doing good or because our O Line isn't?  Same when there's no pressure on Luck, is it great protection or bad D play?

We won't really know until the preseason.  And even then, there's very little game planning.  But I feel your impatience.

Maybe, one way to think of it is...

The less we hear, the more they are doing their job? I would guess with the o-line being very clueless last season, the media will be very quick to jump on their back before heaping some praise.

We won't see how much improvement has been made till game situations anyway.

Here's hoping bro!

I read somewhere that Cherilus was looking real good.

Practice is really tough to figure out who's doing good or bad on the lines.  When a D Linemen breaks through and makes a great play, is it because he's doing good or because our O Line isn't?  Same when there's no pressure on Luck, is it great protection or bad D play?

We won't really know until the preseason.  And even then, there's very little game planning.  But I feel your impatience.

Might also be made tough by the fact that a D-lineman has to be careful not to plaster the quarterback if he does break through.  

We are only two padded practices in.

I'd say yesterday was the O-line's best day as the Colts running backs were able to bust a few nice gains during 11-on-11 periods.

The depth up front isn't great right now without Thornton and Holmes.

But the starting five has certainly created holes for Ballard and Brown early on in camp.

I'd say yesterday was the O-line's best day as the Colts running backs were able to bust a few nice gains during 11-on-11 periods.

But the starting five has certainly created holes for Ballard and Brown early on in camp.

How are they holding up at the point of attack? Is the pocket collapsing? Can Andrew step up? Hearing Chapman bulldozed 4 Olinemen at once was troubling/awesome.

Praise and criticism within practice for offense and defense will always be a double edged sword.

Nevertheless it is being handed out. And not hearing any regarding the Oline is kinda troubling. They're only a few days in, the install is new etc, etc. But it is a point of concern that we're all paying attention to. ;)

How are they holding up at the point of attack? Is the pocket collapsing? Can Andrew step up? Hearing Chapman bulldozed 4 Olinemen at once was troubling/awesome.

I heard and read AC seems bigger and quicker at the point of attack, and is communicating well with Donald Thomas.  The left side looks to be the power side.....throw the fullback in too...and POP em :)

Thanks Kevin.  I know we're all pulling for Iljalana to make it back and be a factor too.

Who cares?  Lamey's commentary is the rah, rah, meaningless nonsense.  There are only been a couple of padded practices and whether the reports are good or horrible means nothing for the regular season.

Call me crazy, but I for one have enjoyed Lamey's "nonsense" from hockey..to boxing...to basketball...to football for 35 years.

When he was younger.....no better play by play anywhere....RAH RAH :)

Who cares?

Obviously I do.

Lamey's commentary is the rah, rah, meaningless nonsense.

You're obviously NOT paying attention then. Lamey's daily updates have been insightful.

There are only been a couple of padded practices and whether the reports are good or horrible means nothing for the regular season.

Thanks for your wisdom?

Call me crazy, but I for one have enjoyed Lamey's "nonsense" from hockey..to boxing...to basketball...to football for 35 years.

When he was younger.....no better play by play anywhere....RAH RAH :)

Lamey's play by play is not what I am talking about here.  His daily updates are useless.

Lamey's play by play is not what I am talking about here.  His daily updates are useless.

I have not heard all of them...just love the hometown rah rah stuff...unless he Rah Rahs Cassius Vaughn wearing the famous number 32 :)

I do enjoy the totally unbiased commentary.  Just given some love to Bob.

With just a couple of days it's way too early to tell who and what this line will become. With new players it also takes time for all to get on the same page so to say. These guys are still learning each others tendencies and strengths. Hopefully all this will come together with reps and practice. 

With just a couple of days it's way too early to tell who and what this line will become. With new players it also takes time for all to get on the same page so to say. These guys are still learning each others tendencies and strengths. Hopefully all this will come together with reps and practice.

Nevertheless praise and criticism is being handed out. And not hearing any regarding the Oline is kinda troubling. They're only a few days in, the install is new etc, etc. But it is a point of concern that we're all paying attention to. ;)

Nevertheless praise and criticism is being handed out. And not hearing any regarding the Oline is kinda troubling. They're only a few days in, the install is new etc, etc. But it is a point of concern that we're all paying attention to. ;)

I understand what you mean but it's way too early to say one way or another. We have not heard any negative so thats a good thing. Quit being a worry wart! lol :goodluck:

I'm scratching my head over the curious case of Mike McGlynn myself.  We all remember him from splash plays in which he gets pushed back by some big DT and onto his bum.  He seemed terrible whenever I tried to focus on him.  However, I've seen some who claim that he is actually pretty good at the run-blocking element, though not necessarily at drive blocking.  Makes me wonder if the coaches have suffered him to start at RG because they feel he's the best run-blocking option, and they know that Luck is a natural at avoiding the additional pass rush up the middle...

I just listened to the first podcast last night and the first 2 or 3 minutes was spent talking about the oline.  He talked about how big they are and yet seem to be able to move well.  Then in his training camp daily recap after the first day he talked about the oline working hard on and off the field to become a unit and how Cherilius(sp?) absolutely dominated on the day at RT.

So it seems there is quite a bit out there about the oline after just a couple of days.

we had no o-lineman that was good last season and won

worry all ya want

I've heard multiple media types who've been at camp say they're not even bothering to evaluate the OL at this point. If you check out some of the podcasts on 1070 "can't tell too much right now, wait till the preseason games" is the standard answer whether it's Clayton or the Indy crew Wells, Chappell, Brunner, etc.

We've heard some good things about the O-line, but like you, I am skeptical too. It could just be rah rah.

However, indirectly you can make the following assumptions:

1. Luck is completing about 66% of all of his throws from camp combined, including throwing for 72% two days ago and 66% yesterday-- when they were in full pads and the defense was bringing the rush. This could indicate good O-line play as well as a more efficient offense.

2. We've heard about a few big runs from Ballard and Brown which could also be a indication of good O-line blocking.

3. On top of that, there are reports of Castanzo looking bigger and Cherilus dominating-- Satele-- not so much..lol.

4. Also, we've been hearing much about Fleener and Allen making big plays from the TE position, sometimes lined up in the slot. This may indicate that along with scheme, we trust the O-line a whole lot more than last year's O-line, where the TEs primarily stayed in to help block.

With all of these statements pieced together, you can make the assumption that the O-line and perhaps the offense as a whole is performing better. Of course, we all know about assumptions.....

I've heard good things about the tackles, which is to be expected.

Not so much on the interior O-line. Hopefully that's because Chapman is just tearing things up like Swamp Thing, but we all knew going in to it that interior OL was the weakest point of the roster. Hopefully Holmes and Thornton can get healed up and it gets better.

Nevertheless it is being handed out. And not hearing any regarding the Oline is kinda troubling. They're only a few days in, the install is new etc, etc. But it is a point of concern that we're all paying attention to. ;)

Yeah I do agree. To be honest, the O-Line was the one area of the team that I wasn't ecstatic about in terms of off-season upgrades. They were okay, and if Grigson really got the guys he wanted, then fair enough, but I am just rather skeptical. 

At least it can't get any worse.

Lamey's ....When he was younger.....no better play by play anywhere....RAH RAH :)

People in Indy may not realize how lucky they are to have Bob Lamey doing the play-by-play. The only guy I've ever thought was better was Bill King who did the Oakland Raider games, many years ago. I wish I could get Bob's play-by-play when watching the Colt games via Sunday Ticket, but I'm out of range for any Indy-market station, and I Heart Radio runs way behind the TV broadcast. Does anyone know if any of the regular radio stations do streaming audio of the games?

@ HarryTheCat

I do believe that on NFL.com in their game coverage page there is an option of listening to the local radio feeds.

Also on my cell phone's NFL app. there is the ability to do that too. I know that I have listened to broadcasts of games that weren't televised, not sure if it is live or delayed.  Worth a shot though.