Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Not Hearing High Praise For...

HarassedOffTheSite

Here is what I've heard: 

Castonzo looks like another year older and developed, keep in mind he should just now be starting to come into his prime as a player.

Cherilus looks good at right tackle is probably our answer there.

I have not heard much on the middle part of the line where I think the big problem has been.

With that said I am not sure we can expect it to be all fixed this off-season.  Again, I think Grigson was still trying to get talent to develop into their prime as Luck comes into his prime and Luck is still probably a year or two away from that.  I think Thomas is a guy who is better than what we had but isn't going to be an all pro or anything like that.  I think Holmes and Thornton are the long term answers but again I don't expect them to walk in and be answers day one. 

The one really good thing I've heard that I didn't except to hear is how well Ijalana has been playing.  If Ijalana gives us something that's a bonus at this point and could become a wildcard in our starting o-line formations. 

Have to take into account that our starting RG Hugh Thornton hasn't been playing. Let's not forget we have Robert Mathis a Pro Bowler and  one of the fastest pass rushers in the league, also  Werner who has a great bull rush and active hands. Those two are gonna make many offensive tackles look bad this season. Chapman plays a huge part in it as well because he's so strong pushes the pocket inside which disrupts the entire o-line. I'm not concerned with the o-line at all as long as Thornton is ready week 1.

The one really good thing I've heard that I didn't except to hear is how well Ijalana has been playing. If Ijalana gives us something that's a bonus at this point and could become a wildcard in our starting o-line formations.

That is good news. And I'm hoping he can handle how we're blocking AND stay healthy. The SB camp is griping about Gosden . I'm a little concerned that we've brought in 2 centers though.

Have to take into account that our starting RG Hugh Thornton hasn't been playing. Let's not forget we have Robert Mathis a Pro Bowler and  one of the fastest pass rushers in the league, also  Werner who has a great bull rush and active hands. Those two are gonna make many offensive tackles look bad this season. Chapman plays a huge part in it as well because he's so strong pushes the pocket inside which disrupts the entire o-line. I'm not concerned with the o-line at all as long as Thornton is ready week 1.

Yeah but they are going to have to play against those kinds of players if we want to get to where we want to go, Wilfork and Ngata are both better than Chapman and we have to play a guy like Watt twice a year so playing against guys like Mathis and Chapman are just going to get them read for what they are going to expected to block in a regular season game so they need to be able to stop them in practice if they are going to be as good as we want them to be.

Yeah but they are going to have to play against those kinds of players if we want to get to where we want to go, Wilfork and Ngata are both better than Chapman and we have to play a guy like Watt twice a year so playing against guys like Mathis and Chapman are just going to get them read for what they are going to expected to block in a regular season game so they need to be able to stop them in practice if they are going to be as good as we want them to be.

There's not a offensive linemen in the league that can block Watt one on one, it has to be a collective effort which is why it's crucial that Thornton is ready because Mcglynn makes the o-line look worse.

And here we wanted our NT to demand double teams....TNT is gonna hurt some running games!!!   :)  Triple team :)   :td:  :td:  :pass:  :pass:  lmao  lmao

I cant wait to see this in action,lol disruption to say the least.So far big Ben is hanging in there as well on OL ,will only be a big plus,this team can be very very deep

There's not a offensive linemen in the league that can block Watt one on one, it has to be a collective effort which is why it's crucial that Thornton is ready because Mcglynn makes the o-line look worse.

I should be clear, I am not saying I think that our lineman should be able to handle Watt one-on-one.  What I am saying is that if our lineman can't preform as expected against Mathis in practice we shouldn't just go oh it's Mathis give him a break.  It's a sign of a problem because they are going to go up against lineman as good as Mathis during the season.  If Mathis beats them here or there, okay sure that's nothing to worry about because Mathis is going to win his own plays because he's a great player, just as Watt will no matter if you double or triple team him, sometimes they just win.  If a guy looks like he shouldn't even be on the field (and I am not saying any of lineman fit this category) with Mathis and then it's a reason to be concerned. 

I guess all I am saying is that we shouldn't be so quick to maybe poo poo something that might be a problem oh the grounds of oh it's Mathis.  With that said it could very well turn out to be Mathis just got some good plays and there is no reason to be concerned at all. 

I think the Oline will be fine. They are certainly more improved than what we had last year. To me if they have let anything up in training camp it's more of a testament to the strength of our improved pass rush. I've said on here more than once that we have a number of guys who are able to put pressure on the pocket. Others have voiced concerns, but I was on the opposite end of the spectrum with that. I feel like we have at least 4 to 5 guys on this team that are pretty capable of putting heat on the QB, not to mention being pretty stout on the defensive line all the way across the board. It's a challenge to block all of that!

Can someone please cut and paste the story about Chapman beating four of our OL?!?     Please?

I'll believe it when I see it....   a NT, beating 4 OL?      Sorry....  not buying it....

Believe it;

NT Josh Chapman has been intriguing to watch. Frequently, he’s been a handful. On one play during 11-on-11 work, Chapman blew up a running play. The 340-pounder burst off the line and pushed C Samson Satele and G Mike McGlynn into T Gosder Cherilus and Allen. End of play. That’s the type of interior disruption coach Chuck Pagano wants from the nose tackle.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20130731/SPORTS03/307310084

Believe it;

NT Josh Chapman has been intriguing to watch. Frequently, he’s been a handful. On one play during 11-on-11 work, Chapman blew up a running play. The 340-pounder burst off the line and pushed C Samson Satele and G Mike McGlynn into T Gosder Cherilus and Allen. End of play. That’s the type of interior disruption coach Chuck Pagano wants from the nose tackle.

Wish there was tape of this....

But the description itself says the assertion is wrong...

Allen is not an OL....   he's a TE.     Still...  seems props are due to Chapman, which thrills me no end....   this is just what I hoped for when we stole him in the 5th round....    Hope this turns out to be one of Grigson's better steals....

Thanks to everyone for responding with links....    appreciate it....       :thmup:

Jumping the gun there a bit, aren't we?  We all hope that Thorton has what it takes to be a starter, but he's far from that right now.

I know that they've been playing Iljalana at backup T, but I'm hoping he comes on and takes a starting G spot.

That inside of the line is worrisome, we really don't know if Thomas is full time 16 game starting material.  If he goes down, we're back to that pathetic inside line we had last year.  Keep that FB on the field Pep!

Believe it;

Wish there was tape of this....

But the description itself says the assertion is wrong...

Allen is not an OL.... he's a TE. Still... seems props are due to Chapman, which thrills me no end.... this is just what I hoped for when we stole him in the 5th round.... Hope this turns out to be one of Grigson's better steals....

Thanks to everyone for responding with links.... appreciate it.... :thmup:

To be fair, Allen is the best blocker we have. Chapman knocking him down means more to me than if he knocked McGlynn down lol.

Lamey's play by play is not what I am talking about here.  His daily updates are useless.

If no daily updates were given out would you whine about why isn't there any updates given? I would think that being a Colts fan you would want those updates. I guess I was wrong.

To be fair, Allen is the best blocker we have. Chapman knocking him down means more to me than if he knocked McGlynn down lol.

He did not exactly knock down Allen. He knocked down Satele and McGlynn who fell behind Cherilus and Allen and tripped them.

If no daily updates were given out would you whine about why isn't there any updates given? I would think that being a Colts fan you would want those updates. I guess I was wrong.

Dear God...

I will spell it out for you. Lamey's information are fluff pieces with no real info - everyone is working hard type nonsense. I trust the stuff I read from Phil B, Chappell or national writers infinitely more than someone paid by the team.

Who cares?  Lamey's commentary is the rah, rah, meaningless nonsense.  There are only been a couple of padded practices and whether the reports are good or horrible means nothing for the regular season.

Yeah, to be honest, Lamey gets on my nerves sometimes.

Dear God...

I will spell it out for you. Lamey's information are fluff pieces with no real info - everyone is working hard type nonsense. I trust the stuff I read from Phil B, Chappell or national writers infinitely more than someone paid by the team.

The ignore feature is great. Not you jskinnz, just sayin. 

He did not exactly knock down Allen. He knocked down Satele and McGlynn who fell behind Cherilus and Allen and tripped them.

agreed...I love the story but I think some people are embellishing it.  From what I got of it, Chapman was taking on Satele and Mcglynn and he rather easily beat them and knocked them back into Cherilus and Allen, who were not focused on someone else.  

Now granted, that's awesome and if he were able to take out 4 of the blockers of the other team no matter how it happens.  But it's not like 4 guys were assigned to block Chapman and they could't do it.  Still a great feat and I would have loved to have seen it happen...would love to see it happen on a regular basis once the season starts.  But it wasn't a superhuman feat. :)

agreed...I love the story but I think some people are embellishing it.  From what I got of it, Chapman was taking on Satele and Mcglynn and he rather easily beat them and knocked them back into Cherilus and Allen, who were not focused on someone else.  

Now granted, that's awesome and if he were able to take out 4 of the blockers of the other team no matter how it happens.  But it's not like 4 guys were assigned to block Chapman and they could't do it.  Still a great feat and I would have loved to have seen it happen...would love to see it happen on a regular basis once the season starts.  But it wasn't a superhuman feat. :)

I to would have liked to have seen it. I believe Chapman is going to be a beast.

Dear God...

You don't need to spell anything out to me. If you don't care for Lamey that's fine. There are a lot that does enjoy Lamey and look forward to his thoughts on the Colts. Lamey does call out players who don't play well. Matter of fact there have been a few times when even I though he was to critical of some players. 

Jumping the gun there a bit, aren't we?  We all hope that Thorton has what it takes to be a starter, but he's far from that right now.

I know that they've been playing Iljalana at backup T, but I'm hoping he comes on and takes a starting G spot.

That inside of the line is worrisome, we really don't know if Thomas is full time 16 game starting material.  If he goes down, we're back to that pathetic inside line we had last year.  Keep that FB on the field Pep!

With you,I hope big Ben stays healthy,and helps this team :thmup: