Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2024 NBA, Pacers and all NBA talk

The 2024 season starts tonight. The Pacers play tomorrow night and host the Wizards. 

Here are my top 5 teams heading into the 2024 season:

1. Bucks

2. Nuggets

3. Lakers

4. Celtics

5. Warriors by a hair over the Suns.

-Regarding the Pacers, I am very optimistic about this season. I have us as a 5th seed in the East only behind the Bucks, Celtics, Heat, and Sixers. I have us winning 46 games. We are very talented with Haliburton, Mathurin, Nesmith, Turner, and Hield + the addition of Brown from the Nuggets.

My top 5 players heading into the 2024 season:

1. The Joker (Nuggets)

2. Giannis (Bucks)

3. Curry (Warriors)

4. Durant (Suns)

5. LeBron (Lakers) - I still have him in the top 5 in 2024.

My 2024 NBA Finals pick:

Bucks over Nuggets 4-3. The addition of Lillard by the Bucks just doesn't seem fair. They now have Giannis, Lillard, Lopez, and Middleton! I think they now have a better overall team than the Nuggets have. Nuggets losing Brown will hurt them a tad + I don't see them repeating.

My top 5 players since the merger = the 1977 season still remains:

1. Michael Jordan (Bulls)

2. Magic Johnson (Lakers)

3. LeBron James (Cavs, Heat, Cavs, Lakers)

4. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Bucks, Lakers)

5. Kobe Bryant (Lakers) by a hair over Larry Bird (Celtics).

My top 5 teams since the merger = 1977 season still remains - 1 team per different core:

1. 1987 Lakers - Magic, Kareem, Worthy, AC Green, Scott, and Cooper (loaded). Way ahead of their time.

2. 1996 Bulls - Jordan, Pippen, Rodman, Kukoc.

3. 2001 Lakers - they had a different core compared to 1987. 2001 had Shaq and Kobe. Shaq was a dominant force and a top 10 player of all-time! Kobe was in his Jordan mode by 2001.

4. 1986 Celtics - Bird, McHale, Parish, DJ, and Ainge.

5. 2017 Warriors by a hair over the 2013 Heat. Heat had LeBron dead smack in his prime, Wade, Bosh, and Allen. That LeBron team would have given the Warriors problems. Warriors had Curry, Durant, Klay, and D.Green all in their primes. Curry is a top 10 player of all-time, Durant is top 15 all-time IMO.

OK everyone. Enjoy the season. @w87r, @Jared Cisneros, and others.

• Like 3

Thanks @2006Coltsbestever

I feel the Nuggets are a bit weaker, but we have a chance to repeat. Bruce Brown was an elite 6th man, and it sucks not getting him back, but we drafted 3 players that are ready to play now, and we had many players from last year who are now ready to contribute. Zeke Nnaji just got extended, and I feel someone will contribute and step up from all the young talent on our bench. We have our starting 5 back, so hopefully we can still hang with the top teams.

The East is going to be brutal this year, as the Bucks got better, the Celtics got better, and the 76ers and others are really good. The Spurs may be better this year if Wembenyama is as advertised. For you, the Pacers could try and make a run again as Haliburton is a sneaky elite player that many people underrate. 

I think the Nuggets lose the opener to the Lakers as this is just generally a horrible matchup for us in particular. However, this will be a good season again overall. GL this year. I'll try and post when I can on this thread!

• Like 1

Nice start for the Nuggets. They beat the Lakers pretty handily. No rust by anyone for the most part, and the Nuggets took over from last year. 

Loved the "Who's your Daddy" chants from the Denver fans at the Lakers. Lebron is a horrible human being in every way possible, and I hope the Lakers miss the playoffs this year and he has to retire with people remembering him missing the playoffs on his way out.

• Like 1

Hoping my Clippers stay healthy for once. They have some real nice younger pieces in K.J. Martin,Bones Hyland and Kobe Brown to complement Leonard,George and Westbrook.

Been a fan since 1975-6 Buffalo Braves day,been a tough existence to say the least. Not sure what is going to happen with James Harden but have a feeling he is not coming over.

• Like 1

I was going over all the NBA players that have played since the merger from the ABA in 1977. From their stats, accomplishments, the way they changed the game, their leadership, and by my eye test - my new revamp top 20 Just NBA players what a player has done since the 1977 season (since 1977) are:

1. Michael Jordan

2. Magic Johnson

3. LeBron James

4. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar - he still belongs here, he won 2 League MVP's (77 and 80), a Finals MVP (85), and 5 Championships since 1977 + has been the best Center since 1977.

5. Kobe Bryant

6. Larry Bird

7. Shaq O'Neal - Most dominant Center I have ever seen inside of 5 feet.

8. Stephen Curry - Greatest shooter of all-time.

9. Tim Duncan

10. Hakeem Olajuwon

11. Isiah Thomas (Pistons)

12. Dirk Nowitzki

13. Moses Malone

14. The Joker @Jared Cisneros- he is already here IMO

15. Kevin Durant

16. Karl Malone

17. Dwyane Wade

18. Charles Barkley

19. Giannis Antetokounmpo

20. Reggie Miller - 2nd greatest shooter of all-time. Led his team to 6 Conference Finals and a Finals with 1 team.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I was going over all the NBA players that have played since the merger from the ABA in 1977. From their stats, accomplishments, the way they changed the game, their leadership, and by my eye test - my new revamp top 20 Just NBA players what a player has done since the 1977 season (since 1977) are:

1. Michael Jordan

2. Magic Johnson

3. LeBron James

4. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar - he still belongs here, he won 2 League MVP's (77 and 80), a Finals MVP (85), and 5 Championships since 1977 + has been the best Center since 1977.

5. Kobe Bryant

6. Larry Bird

7. Shaq O'Neal - Most dominant Center I have ever seen inside of 5 feet.

8. Stephen Curry - Greatest shooter of all-time.

9. Tim Duncan

10. Hakeem Olajuwon

11. Isiah Thomas (Pistons)

12. Dirk Nowitzki

13. Moses Malone

14. The Joker @Jared Cisneros- he is already here IMO

15. Kevin Durant

16. Karl Malone

17. Dwyane Wade

18. Charles Barkley

19. Giannis Antetokounmpo

20. Reggie Miller - 2nd greatest shooter of all-time. Led his team to 6 Conference Finals and a Finals with 1 team.

My main key omission would probably be Julius Erving. To me he was the greatest ABA player of all-time, he was a great NBA player but not like he was in the ABA. He never won a Championship in the NBA until Moses Malone joined them in 1983. Reggie belongs on this list because he never had near the help many others had that won a Championship. He carried the Pacers for nearly 2 decades and the Pacers came close several times. Only 3 players I have on my list that didn't win a Championship are Reggie, Charles Barkley, and Karl Malone. All 3 had something in common, they all lost to Jordan's Bulls. Reggie lost to the Bulls in the ECFinals 4-3 (1998), Barkley lost to the Bulls in the Finals 4-2 (1993), and Karl Malone lost to the Bulls twice (1997 and 98) in 6 games. Jordan was just Godly. I never thought anyone could be better than Magic, but then he came along. 

John Stockton wasnt bad-averaged 14.9 points, 11.9 assists and 2.3 steals per game. Made 8 All-Star appearances and 9 All-NBA teams. 

Stockton won 9 straight assists titles. He was no slouch on defense either making 4 All-Defense teams. 

All time NBA assist leader by over 3,000

All time NBA steals leader by over  500

• Like 1

5 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

John Stockton wasnt bad-averaged 14.9 points, 11.9 assists and 2.3 steals per game. Made 8 All-Star appearances and 9 All-NBA teams. 

Stockton won 9 straight assists titles. He was no slouch on defense either making 4 All-Defense teams. 

All time NBA assist leader by over 3,000

All time NBA steals leader by over  500

Julius Erving and Stockton would have been my next 2 players but I just did a top 20.

13 hours ago, w87r said:

Bally sports was down last game, and haven't been able to get in tonight yet....

You didn't miss anything, we got smoked! Haliburton was out as well so that didn't help.

I think LeBron is going all out this season and is going to retire at the end of the year. He wants to win #5 and call it day - he would match Kobe and Magic with 5 which is huge for his legacy. I say that because he is giving 100% on every play from what I have seen per highlights. Also, at the end of the Suns game he hugged Durant, then last night hugged Leonard. He said in both cases, it might be one of the last times I play against those guys. I just get that vibe. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The refs already gave LeBron 1 win this week. I’ll be real curious to see if they do it again tonight and set up a 7 on 5 showdown for us Saturday. 

It’s about to get exciting though. The Pacers have arrived. They’ve beat the rest of the league over the head with our arrival this week. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

The refs already gave LeBron 1 win this week. I’ll be real curious to see if they do it again tonight and set up a 7 on 5 showdown for us Saturday. 

It’s about to get exciting though. The Pacers have arrived. They’ve beat the rest of the league over the head with our arrival this week. 

12-8 as of now and we have an explosive offense. Haliburton is looking like a SuperStar! We took out the Celtics and just took out the Bucks tonight. Great stuff. Whatever is in the water in Indy we need to keep it between the Colts and Pacers success lately.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

12-8 as of now and we have an explosive offense. Haliburton is looking like a SuperStar! We took out the Celtics and just took out the Bucks tonight. Great stuff. Whatever is in the water in Indy we need to keep it between the Colts and Pacers success lately.

I’ve said all summer there was no reason this team shouldn’t compete for the 8-5 spots in the playoffs, but they look well ahead of schedule on that and that could wind up being a conservative estimate. That combo of tempo and shooting is going to be hard to contend with over a 7 game series. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, John Waylon said:

I’ve said all summer there was no reason this team shouldn’t compete for the 8-5 spots in the playoffs, but they look well ahead of schedule on that and that could wind up being a conservative estimate. That combo of tempo and shooting is going to be hard to contend with over a 7 game series. 

I had us winning 46 games and finishing 5th in the East. My before season pick above. We look pretty good right now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, the Lakers came by it honest last night. 

Another playoff-like matchup with the Pacers Vs LeBron. We’ve earned the right to send him home. At least once. I think they’re going to push the pace even more than usual and try to wear the Lakers down tomorrow night.  

My wife and I are going down to a show in Newport, KY tomorrow night or I’d be headed to the Fieldhouse to watch the game at the event they’re doing there. 

• Like 1

On 12/7/2023 at 8:02 PM, John Waylon said:

The refs already gave LeBron 1 win this week

Yeah, that was ridiculous, what's even more ridiculous is the league came out and said it was the correct call.

Like who do they think they are talking to, kindergartners?

I have given the NBA a chance this year, even bought NBA league pass.(was only $99 on YTTV).

Cost more to watch the Pacers than it does the other 29 teams...($20/mon Bally, like $13-$15/Mon for league pass).

Anyway, I was about done with them on that Lakers TO call. Go back to watching crime TV I guess...

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

If you’re reading this you were called for a personal foul on Davis tonight. Mother Earth got a flagrant for hitting him with a passing breeze. 🤨

I got three in a row. At one point I was just talking to my wife and got called for it. Starting to think things were just a little scripted…

GIF by Giphy QA

• Like 1

An absolutely embarrassing show by Giannis last night after the game. The Pacers didn’t run out the front door and jump into a waiting car to peel away on screeching tires like the Dillinger gang knocking off a * bank. In fact, they were going to be in the building for at least another hour or two. 

If they really wanted to steal his ball and hurt his feelings the damn thing would have disappeared entirely between the court and him assaulting executives in the hallway outside of our locker room. Not floated back to him down his river of tears 10 darn minutes later. 🙄

I’ve always really liked Giannis but last night showed me what a complete and utter putz he really is. It’s the biggest little LeBron energy I’ve ever seen and I’ll never call him anything but giannis james for it ever again.

On 10/25/2023 at 8:28 AM, holeymoley99 said:

Hoping my Clippers stay healthy for once. They have some real nice younger pieces in K.J. Martin,Bones Hyland and Kobe Brown to complement Leonard,George and Westbrook.

Been a fan since 1975-6 Buffalo Braves day,been a tough existence to say the least. Not sure what is going to happen with James Harden but have a feeling he is not coming over.

League high 7 in a row for my Clips, it's still early but if this team can avoid injury bug for once they have a legit shot to pull this off. 

Sidebar: does anyone have any interest in taking over a team in a unique fantasy league? I am running this league and we had a team just become abandoned. Record is 5-3 and still in playoff contention. 

Here is a 60 second clip explaining the league:

It’s a lot of fun. DM me if anyone is interested in trying it out. 

2 hours ago, John Waylon said:

Pacers need to show some kind of sign of life tonight against Charlotte. We haven’t been the same since we beat the Bucs in Vegas. 

Seems to get back on track tonight.

Crazy, saw something like the Pacers were 1-3 since the in season finale, and the Lakers were 1-5 or something? Could have numbers reversed or not even right. Lol. But something like that.

Hoping we make a move.

Add:

Siakam and/or OG

Jerami Grant

Hail Mary - Mikal Bridges

Alex Caruso

if not, I'll just bide my time for a couple years till Anthony Edwards is ready to come join Haliburton. :D

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Loaded up. Wonder if there is another move in the cards.

Now have a log jam at the 4.

Haliburton, Nembhard, McConnell, Wong

Hield, Mathurin

Nesmith, Sheppard, Brown

Siakam, Toppin, Smith, Walker, Johnson

Turner, Jackson, Tshiebwe 

Looks like we have 1 open roster spot.

Maybe we trade Hield and Smith for Wiggins or something?

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, w87r said:

@John Waylon

@2006Coltsbestever

You see the news above 

I’m stoked. And to be honest, I’m not upset at the price. Pritchard’s drafting history is spotty at best, the chances are incredibly high Siakam is a better player than he would have netted with one of those three picks. And I don’t have any reservations about him resigning, I can’t see them making this deal without at least some kind of deal in principle for him to remain. 

And I don’t think we’re done yet. We’ve got some extra bigs now, and I still think we still move Heild before the deadline. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I’m stoked. And to be honest, I’m not upset at the price. Pritchard’s drafting history is spotty at best, the chances are incredibly high Siakam is a better player than he would have netted with one of those three picks. And I don’t have any reservations about him resigning, I can’t see them making this deal without at least some kind of deal in principle for him to remain. 

And I don’t think we’re done yet. We’ve got some extra bigs now, and I still think we still move Heild before the deadline. 

Yeah, it was a great deal, we traded (2) players that were essentially free, Brown(FA), Nwora(toss in on a trade) and (2) 2024 1st(not the greatest draft), and a 2026 1st.

To make things better:

Tony East: Pacers picks sent out in deal, I’m told: -2024 IND first, protected 1-3 -2024 OKC first (worst of HOU/UTAH/OKC/LAC) -2026 IND first, protected 1-4

– via Twitter TonyREast

Both 1st are protected in case we win the lottery.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, w87r said:

@John Waylon

@2006Coltsbestever

You see the news above 

This makes us dangerous now. It at least separates us from teams 5-15 in the East. We are 4th best in the East now at worse. I am really stoked. Keep in mind, we have already beat the Bucks 4-1 this season. It would not shock me if the Pacers made the ECFfinals. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

Yeah, I read the article. Great stuff! I am really happy with this trade. It shows we are not settling to be average or just making it to the playoffs. We want to make a run. I have us 4th in the East now and Philly is very beatable. We also own the Bucks this year. Celtics will be difficult to beat still, Heat are dangerous too, but I like our chances. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah, I read the article. Great stuff! I am really happy with this trade. It shows we are not settling to be average or just making it to the playoffs. We want to make a run. I have us 4th in the East now and Philly is very beatable. We also own the Bucks this year. Celtics will be difficult to beat still, Heat are dangerous too, but I like our chances. 

Probably going to pair a 3rd star at some point. Maybe not this year, but soon enough.

Still think we probably make another move before the deadline.

Hield probably still wants out and is a FA Smith/or Jackson with the front court log jam. Toppin is RFA after season

McConnell rumors been all year(although he is like the perfect 12-15 man on a good team)

• Like 1

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/pascal-siakam-toronto-raptors-indianapolis-pacers-nba-basketball

Classy fella.

*No mention of Pacers in story, don't want you to be expecting that if you go to read.

Only thing that says Pacers is under his name.

https://medium.com/@gadroseflare/unveiling-the-strategic-artistry-how-the-indiana-pacers-engineered-the-pascal-siakam-coup-ff71d0eda386

This article is pretty nice going into some of the finer details of how the trade evolved and worked out. Creative salary cap work by Pritchard and that is exciting to think about with other potential deals in the future.

Only problem I have with the article is is has some incorrect information. It says that NO received a 2nd, that's isn't the case. NO sent us a 2nd, we sent them the minimum cash considerations possible $130k(or something close to that).

A little late but I love the trade. Siakam will cook next to Tyrese.

Pacers still need a wing if they want to compete with the best. Next I'd look at DFS on the Nets. He's a good defender and would fit very well in the starting lineup. He's also on a good contract for what he brings to the table. Nets say they want 2 1sts but I think you can negotiate it down. I'd trade Toppin + Stix + a few 2nds for him. 

Another option for a wing is Herb Jones. Pelicans are paying BI, CJ, JV, Zion and are close to the tax. A few of their rookies are up for extension as well. I don't think they want to trade Herb but he may be a cap casualty. I'd call NO and see what they want for him. He's going to be expensive though since he's an elite defender. You probably have to include Jarace in the deal and Pacers aren't ready to move him (yet). I think NO moves CJ so they can re-sign JV and keep Herb, but he's one to watch out for.

• Like 1

My Clippers looking good and healthy except for Zubac who is gone for a bit but lucky that Plumlee came back just before the injury. They got a lot of heat when the acquired Harden and it could go wrong in the playoffs but he has lokoed like a great fit so far. Been following them since 1975 as the Buffalo Braves and Bob McAdoo was my first basketball hero (My folks got me the autographed Wilson ball for Christmas one year was awesome).