Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts are "Fool's Gold"

A lot of people on other boards and some of the media think we overachieved. They are of the opinion that we were lucky (no pun intended) to win a lot of the close games we won, and that this luck won't continue. That, combined with the weak schedule we had (4th place) make some people think we'll crash and burn this season. 

Ya gotta be careful how you state this, as I think our team deserved their victories 100% last year.  They showed great desire and worked their arses off to achieve.  However, if they were to play last season over 100 times, there wouldn't be but a couple of times that they won 11 games.  In this respect, I agree with those who say we overachieved.  However, what fans around the league miss is the material improvement over last year's team.  The OL will be night and day over last year, both the starters and depth.  The D got much deeper, which was missed because of the lack of big-name additions.  And the secondary is now a top-ten secondary if they can avoid major injuries.  Last year, the secondary was a major liability.  The Colts could be the NFL's most improved team, though I've read multiple places where NFL fans call into question whether the Colts improved AT ALL!  I think Indy is now officially the most under-rated team in the NFL.  It's a good place to be...

I dont want us to be underrarted..

I want to be a front-runner...a team expected to be in the post-season....

/////We were fortunate to pull out the games agianst Detroit and Green Bay  but the final record was 11-5 and then 11-6...

But its all about the post-season.

Check back: the NYGs went 9-7 one year and wn the Super Bowl...wqent 9-7 the next year and missed the playoffs.

WE expect to make the playoffs.....I think its realsitic. Not Fool's Gold..which is worthless...

If we're 9-7 and in the playoffs........we did as well in 2103 and we did in 2012

It's hard to say whether or not we go 11-5 or not.  Only time will tell.  What I do know is, this team is serious about trying to improve and they are making educated decisions.  I'm confident that the Colts will be a more rounded team.  They will be a lot of fun to watch and should never be taken for granted.  If a team thinks its going to beat the Colts, they had better pack a lunch. 

Will they have a better record than last year?  Don't know.  Will they play hard and be fun to watch?  You bet!

I wish them the best of "Luck".  GO COLTS!

I do remember the quote.....   and it might've even been posted and linked here....   but I honestly don't recall who said it....

I'm glad Pagano does!    I think he and Grigs are good and building up that chip on the shoulder mentality....   Hey, if it turns into a boulder on the shoulder -- that's fine with me!!

I want a team with attitude... a team that feels it has to prove itself all over again!     :thmup:

A lot of people on other boards and some of the media think we overachieved. They are of the opinion that we were lucky (no pun intended) to win a lot of the close games we won, and that this luck won't continue. That, combined with the weak schedule we had (4th place) make some people think we'll crash and burn this season. 

What really burns my behind is that since it is us we were lucky. If it had been the redskins or pats it would have been masterfull

...is what Coach Pagano said he read about us going into this season.

Anybody know what writer/talking head said that? I want to be sure which dummy to e-mail/tweet when we start beating the brakes off of the media favorites.

Hey....maybe it was the same NFL Network "expert" who just recently said the Saints defense could be vastly improved this season with the addition of DC Rob Ryan and players such as ex-Cowboy OLB Victor Butler...who played in Dallas' 3-4 defense under Ryan.

There's only one problem.....Victor Butler had his ACL snapped in two during OTAs and is probably out for the entire 2013 season.

As much as I like the 24/7 availablility of NFL off-season info....a couple of these incoherent, cackling simpletons need to do their homework.

Love it, last year he used the 32nd ranking. Now he ca. Use the fools gold! I don't see anything wrong with getting your team fired up for being dissed. Lets play with an attitude and with a huge chip on our shoulders!

What really burns my behind is that since it is us we were lucky. If it had been the redskins or pats it would have been masterfull

They are the sexy pick, we are the small market team with an eccentric owner.  Can't beat RGIII and Brady. 

I just hope our team on the field plays as good as the team sounds on paper. 

Here you go, Brian:

The Colts are fools gold. Almost all of their wins were close, nail biting affairs. Their biggest wins of the year were 20-13 scores over the Kansas City Chiefs and Buffalo Bills. All things even out over time, so I expect their close games to start going the other way more often.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/5/25/4365370/2013-nfl-power-rankings-countdown-17-indianapolis-colts

Here you go, Brian:

The Colts are fools gold. Almost all of their wins were close, nail biting affairs. Their biggest wins of the year were 20-13 scores over the Kansas City Chiefs and Buffalo Bills. All things even out over time, so I expect their close games to start going the other way more often.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/5/25/4365370/2013-nfl-power-rankings-countdown-17-indianapolis-colts

More like Fool's Logic...he didn't say anything that I don't see on twitter from people who didn't watch a single colts game last year.

Hey....maybe it was the same NFL Network "expert" who just recently said the Saints defense could be vastly improved this season with the addition of DC Rob Ryan and players such as ex-Cowboy OLB Victor Butler...who played in Dallas' 3-4 defense under Ryan.

There's only one problem.....Victor Butler had his ACL snapped in two during OTAs and is probably out for the entire 2013 season.

As much as I like the 24/7 availablility of NFL off-season info....a couple of these incoherent, cackling simpletons need to do their homework.

Well,  that NFL Network "expert" should realize one big important thing....

When you're the worst ranked defense and you've given up a record number of yards in a season as the Saints did,  and they go out and get a new DC and add some pieces,  it's not hard to predict that the next year the defense will be improved.

There's only one to go when you're at rock bottom --- and that is up.

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure that out......

Just sayin.......

A lucky win was when Seattle got that simultaneous catch call to steal the game against the Packers.  Vick Ballard diving into the endzone to win a game was not lucky, it was incredible.  We certainly had some good fortune along the way last year, but come on - this new roster deserves a chance to show itself before getting labeled as Fool's Gold.

I just saw NFL Network, and Grimm(?) said we are going to struggle on D and have to rely on the O once again this year. I'm not saying we're top 3 by any means, but struggle? I just don't see it.

Trust me, throughout the years, I've known the colts are gonna suck. I knew it going in. I just don't see "suck" and "struggling" as part of our team this year. As much as a HOMER as I am, I know when the Colts have problems. This year is going to be fun.

I actually thinks it works in our favor. To be under the radar. I have no problem when people think we're going to take a step back. Enjoy the fireworks. We won't be under anyone's radar next year.

But to be honest, I think it's just the fans who value/de-value certain franchises. Make no mistake, the team you're playing against is NOT taking you lightly. Most football players know about pride and execution. NO team really goes under the "radar" when you think about it, because people study you to death......... 

I think what we are unestimated on is overall team depth and ability.   Too often the "experts" look at a team with 4-5 elite players as being the team to beat.  But those are also the teams that have half a roster full of rookies or cheap players.   We potentially have a solid team across the board.  Not really great at all positions, but good.  And I believe that will get us much further than a handful of superstars.

Here you go, Brian:

I'm gonna rip Tim Lynch (@TimLynch1978) a new one when we beat the Manning led Broncos.

I agree with you on that comment. But one thing I can say is the people who do know football did vote Grigson and Arians the top GM and coach. So what the Colts did was not overlooked by real football minds. To many fans take what the media has to say at heart. It is the media who keeps things stirred in order to keep eyes and ears on them. I highly doubt that most of them believe a word they say but that wouldn't be a story.

I'm gonna rip Tim Lynch (@TimLynch1978) a new one when we beat the Manning led Broncos.

I love seeing Broncos fans try to rip our team like we went on some sort of super magical run that was pure luck.

If anyone got lucky last year, it was the Broncos playing a string of bad/below average teams on their "win" streak. They have no room to talk luck.

I love seeing Broncos fans try to rip our team like we went on some sort of super magical run that was pure luck.

If anyone got lucky last year, it was the Broncos playing a string of bad/below average teams on their "win" streak. They have no room to talk luck.

And ended up dealing with what we have for over a decade; one playoff game & bounced.