Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

When does the journey of a team stop mattering?

chad72

Nowadays, with SB rings being the only thing that matters in some fans' eyes, how much does the journey of the Colts' team in a year where it does not win the SB matter to you as a fan?

Does there come a point where your expectations end up so high when your team is not a "new kid on the block" anymore that you forget to acknowledge the journey it took to get to a postseason berth in the first place if it does not end up in a SB ring?

Thoughts???

I always remember the good games during the regular season. However some years even though I remember the good games I still can't help feel disappointed that we didn't win the SB maybe because of bad coaching or GM interference *cough* 2009 *cough*. But other than that the SB isn't all that matters. Good games are good games.

As a Colts fans, there will be regular season memorable games for me. Moral victories, comeback wins, epic blowouts. But from an outsider looking in, to quote "if you lose the last game of the season, nobody gives a crap." 

The goal is a Superbowl wins, and that's what fans crave for. So yes I do think expectations get to a point where simply postseason birth isn't enough. 

Rather deep Chad, but a great question. The object of sport is really to entertain, so as long as we get a good ride, I'm happy. Sometimes the way your season ends Saints it a little (2005 / 2007 / 2008 /2009 / 2010), but you can normally recall the good parts of the season.

I agree it doesn't always need to end with a championship.

In the clip above, that's great acting by Will Ferrell.

As for the question posed I would say that last season was one of the most fulfilling seasons for me as a fan of the Colts because of the feel good story that we all know about overcoming adversity and the over performing rookie class. I couldn't care less that they didn't advance in the playoffs. 

This year it will probably  revert to normal in the sense that I'll be crushed when they lose that playoff game. However, I'll still go back and find something positive and memorable moments from regular season. I guess it's all about the expectations we set. If the expectations are too high and they are not met then from the neurochemical standpoint there is a drop in dopamine levels in the brain :). Otherwise the opposite happens.

Nice question for discussion. The way I think of it is; I feel like the journey is always important; but for each core (we have a new core that really began last year maybe two years ago) to have one big super bowl run at the very least. No journey will ever be as sweet as the time you went all the way through the journey and won. After you reach the top of the mountain other runs will be special (I watched it with the 2008 and 2011 Giants with my wife and father in law).

I mean, it's like our former title runs. We succeeded once, it was sweet. We got close many other times and even had another SB berth. They're all special. What matters along the way is the excitement and the memories you form along the way. That's where the victory and enjoyment lies. In the journey itself, not necessarily the top of the mountain/end of the journey.

For me I hope for one title, wake up on one NFL Super Bowl sunday to see Luck and the current core play in it; I deserve that. We deserve that. Anything beyond that is just gravy IMHO in today's NFL. Other than that I'll enjoy wildcard playoff games, learning about new role players we pick up, watching the college game and day dreaming about depth lineman on each side of the ball who I think would help us, little things like that. Along the way in the journey watching a HOF career (Marvin, and now Reggie) doesn't hurt things!

Seeing a fringe prospect like Freeman develop, that's somethign that makes the journey beautiful too.

Without the crushing loss to Pittsburgh in 05 we wouldn't have appreciated the incredible win over NE in the 06 AFCCG as much. Both of those games still stand out as the lowest and highest emotional experiences I've ever dealt with as a die-hard Colts fan.....both brought tears, and both were parts of great, but separate, journeys. Last season was a fantastic journey but what still sticks out the most is the loss to Baltimore. So, ultimately, the SB win matters the most but I'll never forget many of the great moments throughout all of the seasons. 

If this doesn't bring chills to your bones, something is wrong with you: http://www.hark.com/clips/klmjhxndwg-marlin-jackson-interception-that-takes-colts-to-super-bowl

I have been a part of this discussion so many times over the years......and I have always had the same answer.....I would take a team that is headed up by, and built with class, that has great character wins year after year over an extended period, over a short run and winning a SB.

and its not even close.

I enjoyed myself last season just as much as I did in our 2006 season. I feel those small victories, every win, every play, every interview. My experience as a Colts fan is like neverending winning. So many things have to go right to get to, and eventually win aq SB. But to play with class, dignity, character, and win more than 50% year after year, is something far beyond things just "going right".

Superbowls are the big thing however in my view as a fan I just like to see fun and exciting games with the opportunity to make the playoffs. Having a solid fun season with action packed exciting games, then watching the team you love try to tough out its way to a SB victory is considered a success in my eyes. Even if our beloved team doesn't win the big one.

Being a realist I realize it's very difficult to make the superbowl, let alone win and don't really count any years of not winning a SB a failure.

Without the crushing loss to Pittsburgh in 05 we wouldn't have appreciated the incredible win over NE in the 06 AFCCG as much. Both of those games still stand out as the lowest and highest emotional experiences I've ever dealt with as a die-hard Colts fan.....both brought tears, and both were parts of great, but separate, journeys. Last season was a fantastic journey but what still sticks out the most is the loss to Baltimore. So, ultimately, the SB win matters the most but I'll never forget many of the great moments throughout all of the seasons. 

If this doesn't bring chills to your bones, something is wrong with you: http://www.hark.com/clips/klmjhxndwg-marlin-jackson-interception-that-takes-colts-to-super-bowl

The Bob Lamey radio call gives me more chills than actually watching the TV highlight.

What I'm about to write may not work for many fans....    might not even work for most fans.   But, it works for me....   

But winning a Super Bowl is incredibly hard.   Perhaps the toughest championship to win in U.S. team sports.

So -- for me --  as long as my favorite team (in this case, the Colts) is really trying to win, then I'm OK if they fall short.   But if I thought the franchise was only trying to be competitive and was not seriously trying to win,  then they would quickly not be my favorite team. 

If I thought the owner and front office were just trying to make sure they were making money and keeping the stadium full, but weren't really serious about winning,  then they'd lose me as a fan.

I've thought that off and on about teams like the Bengals, and the Bears and the Chargers, and the Jets....   and a few others.     Things chance and evolve over time. 

As long as the franchise is committed to winning,  I'll support them.   But less than that?    No thanks.

The journey is everything.....   even when you can't reach the destination.

Just one fans viewpoint......     of course,  your mileage may vary......

The hair on the back of my neck stands up, goosebumps form, and a slight tear pop up every time I think about that play.

Nice question for discussion. The way I think of it is; I feel like the journey is always important; but for each core (we have a new core that really began last year maybe two years ago) to have one big super bowl run at the very least. No journey will ever be as sweet as the time you went all the way through the journey and won. After you reach the top of the mountain other runs will be special (I watched it with the 2008 and 2011 Giants with my wife and father in law).

I mean, it's like our former title runs. We succeeded once, it was sweet. We got close many other times and even had another SB berth. They're all special. What matters along the way is the excitement and the memories you form along the way. That's where the victory and enjoyment lies. In the journey itself, not necessarily the top of the mountain/end of the journey.

For me I hope for one title, wake up on one NFL Super Bowl sunday to see Luck and the current core play in it; I deserve that. We deserve that. Anything beyond that is just gravy IMHO in today's NFL. Other than that I'll enjoy wildcard playoff games, learning about new role players we pick up, watching the college game and day dreaming about depth lineman on each side of the ball who I think would help us, little things like that. Along the way in the journey watching a HOF career (Marvin, and now Reggie) doesn't hurt things!

Seeing a fringe prospect like Freeman develop, that's somethign that makes the journey beautiful too.

Could not agree more.

Great question Chad. I've been a Colt fan since '67 and my answer to this question has changed in phases throughout those 46 seasons (wow-46 seasons really?). Early on, every Sunday was crucial to me, probably because 1-2 loss teams were the norm in Baltimore in the '60s and early '70s. (If you didn't live through Super Bowl III, be glad because that one still hurts). But the mid-'70s teams with Bert Jones were such upstarts, and I actually enjoyed the journey those years (regardless of the finishing losses). Same goes for the Dickerson years in the '80s and the Harbaugh years in the mid-'90s. But the Peyton years brought on a feeling of such greatness and potential that I didn't enjoy the journey as much as I should have each season. Even Super Bowl 41 was more of a relief that we finally won a SB, than a super joy for me. I honestly think we should have won 3 SB's those years and not just the 1 in '06. But really, we should all enjoy the journey much more than most of us do. That doesn't just go for football either. 

It is all about the journey when you are a young team rebuilding and learning how to win.  It becomes about the ring as soon as a team tastes its first post season victory.  After that point only a ring satisfies until it is time to tear down and rebuild anew. 

So with the above stated...this year continues to be about the journey albeit with heightened expectations but as soon as we get that first playoff win ...it becomes all about getting that ring baby!  Rings validate the journey. Don't get me wrong the journey is always important and as fans we enjoy the ride but only those ending in Lombardi's become immortalized. So tonight these Colts are young...let's set this league on fire and create some journeys that will live forever!

Great question, and great answers.  For those of us old enough to remember the dark years, when it seemed management wasn't committed to winning, or maybe just too inept, these last 15 or so years have been fantastic.

Jim Irsay continues to make this journey matter.   We're lucky to have him.

I can also say, from experience of playing on sports teams for most of my life, that the journey is undoubtedly the best part. It is the work you put in over a long period of time, sacrificing commitments to family, friends, your social life, and in the setting of amateur/semi-pro, for little reward other than the 100 people in the stands and a snippet in the local newspapers and hopefully the respect of your teammates.

Every team has aspirations to win, and it is unlikely that you will happen to be on the team that ends up doing it, though maybe one day you do, and the culmination of not just that year, but all the years of failure seems justified. And in the moment you remember the work that has been done to get there.

Yes yes Yes!!!!!

I can also say, from experience of playing on sports teams for most of my life, that the journey is undoubtedly the best part. It is the work you put in over a long period of time, sacrificing commitments to family, friends, your social life, and in the setting of amateur/semi-pro, for little reward other than the 100 people in the stands and a snippet in the local newspapers and hopefully the respect of your teammates.

Every team has aspirations to win, and it is unlikely that you will happen to be on the team that ends up doing it, though maybe one day you do, and the culmination of not just that year, but all the years of failure seems justified. And in the moment you remember the work that has been done to get there.

Very well said!! I totally agree!!

Great question Chad. I've been a Colt fan since '67 and my answer to this question has changed in phases throughout those 46 seasons (wow-46 seasons really?). Early on, every Sunday was crucial to me, probably because 1-2 loss teams were the norm in Baltimore in the '60s and early '70s. (If you didn't live through Super Bowl III, be glad because that one still hurts). But the mid-'70s teams with Bert Jones were such upstarts, and I actually enjoyed the journey those years (regardless of the finishing losses). Same goes for the Dickerson years in the '80s and the Harbaugh years in the mid-'90s. But the Peyton years brought on a feeling of such greatness and potential that I didn't enjoy the journey as much as I should have each season. Even Super Bowl 41 was more of a relief that we finally won a SB, than a super joy for me. I honestly think we should have won 3 SB's those years and not just the 1 in '06. But really, we should all enjoy the journey much more than most of us do. That doesn't just go for football either. 

Agreed right on!

Another question, and maybe we start a new thread on this--- but are the days of dynasties dead? Like the 80's niners? Will we ever see another? I wonder if anyone can sustain that again

Anything more than three or four years is really tough because of the salary cap and free agents.

People can complain all they want about Polian but he managed to keep the team competitive for a long time. Steelers and Patriots are really the only other teams that managed that.

You play to win a championship every year, Nobody says well I wanna when X number of games and if I reach that goal Im done, you keep going as long as you can and when its over you look back and say....Well....we played well in some stretches....we can build upon some things but we weren't good enough to win it all....we must get better....The journey is great, remember it....enjoy it....Most of all.........Remember what that feeling was like when that journey was forced to end

My older brother was a boxer and he taught me at a very young age "don't think about what's next, think what is". In boxing like every sport if you anticiapte the next move the immeidate move will kill you. All atheletes have long term goals but as a unit or an individual it is poison to put the long term goal anywhere near your immediate challenge. It is said all games are important and they are. You don't wait until you are on your last breathe to start to defeat your opponent. I can't recall ever thinking past the game I was in, I call it focus or tunnel vision. To the devil with next week it may never come. You win now, today and good things will come. 

Well done Chad - absolutely love the topic.  My wife and I love to drive to our vacation spots and literally 9 times out of 10 we have more fun on the journey than the destination itself.

And well done to the posters in the thread.  I don't think there was one 'win the Super Bowl or the season is a total failure' post.  That "all or nothing" thinking is simply wrong.  The world is grey.  It is not black or white.

What did it for me was the 2005 season.  That was such a great season and we had so much fun tailgating before every game.  So how can all the fun memories from the games we saw at the dome or when we traveled with the team to road games - how can all those great times be washed away because of a bad playoff performance?  It can't.

I think every season matters, to me at least. There was something about last season that was so satisfying because team legacy is such a fun part of being a football fan. And having such a great bounce-back season showed the league that maybe our best years didn't end when when we let Peyton go, that we're going to be a team you don't want to play. Though we may never match the historical seasons Peyton and Co. gave us,  you'll be seeing us in the playoffs for years to come.

Well done Chad - absolutely love the topic.  My wife and I love to drive to our vacation spots and literally 9 times out of 10 we have more fun on the journey than the destination itself.

And well done to the posters in the thread.  I don't think there was one 'win the Super Bowl or the season is a total failure' post.  That "all or nothing" thinking is simply wrong.  The world is grey.  It is not black or white.

What did it for me was the 2005 season.  That was such a great season and we had so much fun tailgating before every game.  So how can all the fun memories from the games we saw at the dome or when we traveled with the team to road games - how can all those great times be washed away because of a bad playoff performance?  It can't.

I echo that 100%. Well said. As you know, I'm spending some serious dosh, and travelling thousands of miles to Indy in October. A win will be better than a loss, but you can bet your bottom dollar I'll have a brilliant 4 days to reflect on for the rest of my life.

Personally the two years I had the most fun following the Colts didn't end in a Super Bowl title, it was 1995 and last year.  They just came out of no where so there weren't sky high expectations which made it fun to just enjoy them every week where as when other teams would lose with the Colts it was a disappointment because I felt like they underachieved.  Even in 2006, while I enjoyed the end result more than any other season I still rank it third behind 95 and last year in terms of the complete journey. 

For me it's when the last Colts game is played. During the 2-14 year I watched every game just like every other year. Ofcourse I zoned out alittle easier(Jets game) that other years. When the Colts lost to the Saints in the superbowl I was at a Superbowl party and when the game ended I asked"Ok now what are we doing playing poker or what. I love everything NFL(except the jags), but when the game or season is over it's time for something else. This year I'm looking forward to the season alittle more because I have season tickets for the first time.

What I'm about to write may not work for many fans....    might not even work for most fans.   But, it works for me....   

But winning a Super Bowl is incredibly hard.   Perhaps the toughest championship to win in U.S. team sports.

So -- for me --  as long as my favorite team (in this case, the Colts) is really trying to win, then I'm OK if they fall short.   But if I thought the franchise was only trying to be competitive and was not seriously trying to win,  then they would quickly not be my favorite team. 

If I thought the owner and front office were just trying to make sure they were making money and keeping the stadium full, but weren't really serious about winning,  then they'd lose me as a fan.

I've thought that off and on about teams like the Bengals, and the Bears and the Chargers, and the Jets....   and a few others.     Things chance and evolve over time. 

As long as the franchise is committed to winning,  I'll support them.   But less than that?    No thanks.

The journey is everything.....   even when you can't reach the destination.

Just one fans viewpoint......     of course,  your mileage may vary......

That describes the AZ Cardinal's It also describes the Colts Prior to Manning and JiM Irsay JR.  The easy years are when we arnt expected to win but are building a team that will get there.  These early Luck years are easy.  Its when we shoulld win and we dont ,that makes it hard. 

I have been a Colts fan since 1975.   I admit that the journey seems to be more exciting when the expectations are lower.  In the Manning era, for the most part, I expected to win almost every game.   It was a matter of how many games over 10 we would win a year.  And that was a great luxury I probably took for granted.   The most exciting for me has been when it was not expected.   Joe Thomas rebuilding the Colts and the Bert Jones lead Colts turning around and winning the AFC East. Jack Trudeau and Erik Dickerson leading the Colts to the playoffs against the Browns in the late 80s.   The magical 1995 season.   1999 when the Colts went from 3-13 in 1998 to 13-3 in 1999.  And last season was amazing to me.   Because each week you never knew if we would win or not.

The Manning Colts were much like watching Mike Tyson in his prime.  They were going to win.  It was just a matter of by how much.  

I do believe we underachieving during the Manning years.   Always seemed rusty and unprepared in the playoffs.

People love a winner and the Colts have done a nice job of providing some wins lately. I'm in it for the good times, but it's a game, there will be some bad ones too.

It's a hobby. Like all other hobbies really. It stop's mattering when you decide your done with it.

Another question, and maybe we start a new thread on this--- but are the days of dynasties dead? Like the 80's niners? Will we ever see another? I wonder if anyone can sustain that again

I think the current 9ers could sustain a long, winning period. Maybe they'll get two or three SBs this decade. Unless everything comes crashing down for some reason, which I don't see happening as long as Harbaugh is there.