Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Select Hugh Thornton With 3rd Pick

krunk

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you cold draft every G in this draft and still have them be better than who the colts had in the starting line last season and he was just drafted and you guys are already calling him a bust i'm going to make a point here you don't know really how good a player is until they are in there 3 or 4 year in the NFL because if you don't think about it and you cut him after one or two years then you have a good chance you just made a mistake and that player goes somewhere else and plays really well and has a great career.

Anybody that does not like this pick just doesn't know anything about Thornton. He'll start day 1, barring injury.

I agree with this Brother,hes very versatile as well ,has played bouth guard positions as well as weakside tackle,thats an added plus IMO kind of a safety net for us

Did not start day 1. Was behind Fleener. He played, but did not start till Fleener got hurt.

You have really not distinguished yourself in this thread and this post is no different. Faulty assumptions and factual inaccuracies abound.

For your efforts, I give you a collective...

Dear God

I'm not sure I would look to the senior bowl footage of any of these players. Doesn't really tell you anything about how they can play lol. Almost like the probowl, IMO, of college.

How can the 1 on 1 linemen drills not tell you anything about how they play?!?! David quessenbury was one of the top 3 linemen I watched in those drills. I would have rather gotten him

Thank you. If you step back and look at what happened so far this Off-season, you get mixed views. What grigson did in the 1st rd shows people that he does not even trust his own judgement. He brought in a Young pass rusher in FA (Sidbury), then drafts another before Sidbury can show if he can play or not. One of the reasons I have a wait and see attitude

I completely disagree that our first round pick shows Grigs not trusting himself. I think it just shows what Grigs' plan was all along, load up on run stuffers and pass rushers. We now have a mean looking D. Not to mention, Grigs and Pags have been very open about using Walden as an edge setter and cover guy. It was clear to the entire world that we needed another premier pass rusher and guess what? We got one. I think this highlights Grigs' ability to envision a plan quite a few steps before it unfolds and actually execute it. When they took Bjoern, it was literally an autopick. Not exactly what you would expect to see of a GM who is kicking himself. We now have an excellent D (on paper), and we just need a chance to prove it. Go grab Rambo for some safety depth and lets go take the league by storm.

How can the 1 on 1 linemen drills not tell you anything about how they play?!?! David quessenbury was one of the top 3 linemen I watched in those drills. I would have rather gotten him

You would have rather had Quessenbury to play guard??? I really wish people would take into account scheme fit before saying such things. Quessenbury is not nearly strong enough to play guard in our system. One of his major flaws is weak upper body and skinny legs. Not a good combo for a man blocking scheme.

Why so excitable lol?

I prefer the tape from their own teams and their own systems. Tells me more how a guy adapts to schemes, and working as part of a unit.

Notice the carefully inserted "IMO" because everyone has different ways they evaluate players.

You would have rather had Quessenbury to play guard??? I really wish people would take into account scheme fit before saying such things. Quessenbury is not nearly strong enough to play guard in our system. One of his major flaws is weak upper body and skinny legs. Not a good combo for a man blocking scheme.

I think there is a very good chance he starts day 1 but I dont think he is locked in there yet, Obviously you would think with what else we have to work with at RG Thornton would be a lock but he has to work on his technique, he reaches sometimes and stops moving his feet and hand placement is inconsistent

I think there is a very good chance he starts day 1 but I dont think he is locked in there yet, Obviously you would think with what else we have to work with at RG Thornton would be a lock but he has to work on his technique, he reaches sometimes and stops moving his feet and hand placement is inconsistent

Easily still better than we have on the roster now though for RG. He does need work on his footwork but those things should be easily correctable in a rather short time. It's just muscle memory and once he gets used to it after being worked with, he'll be fine. Like I said though, easily better than McGlynn and Reitz.

Easily still better than we have on the roster now though for RG. He does need work on his footwork but those things should be easily correctable in a rather short time. It's just muscle memory and once he gets used to it after being worked with, he'll be fine. Like I said though, easily better than McGlynn and Reitz.

anybody is better than Mcglynn

Agree with my assesment though? especially about his feet while engaged

Yea it's not very often though, it's a very easy fix for coaches at the NFL level, his intensity and aggressiveness shows, he definitely should kick McGlynn out fairly easily in camp

From everything I read,  Queesenbury is viewed as more of a zone-blocker...    

Thornton is seen as more of a man-blocker....

I've been asking why everyone keeps suggesting Donald Thomas is definitely slated for LG when most of his playing time in NE was at RG... now the Colts draft a guy who played predominantly at LG and LT, but everyone says he's slated to play RG...

I know there is a quote from Pags saying DT would play LG, but he also called players by the wrong name, so I don't put much stock in that.

If anyone can give me a logical reason why these two players would switch sides from what they are most experienced playing, I'd appreciate the education.

I've been asking why everyone keeps suggesting Donald Thomas is definitely slated for LG when most of his playing time in NE was at RG... now the Colts draft a guy who played predominantly at LG and LT, but everyone says he's slated to play RG...

I know there is a quote from Pags saying DT would play LG, but he also called players by the wrong name, so I don't put much stock in that.

If anyone can give me a logical reason why these two players would switch sides from what they are most experienced playing, I'd appreciate the education.

we used LG as our Pulling Guard (because Mcglynn was more mobile then he was a power Guard) RG is your power Guard...Thornton. Thomas is the more mobile, more agile of the two

we used LG as our Pulling Guard (because Mcglynn was more mobile then he was a power Guard) RG is your power Guard...Thornton. Thomas is the more mobile, more agile of the two

I asked for some logic, and you delivered, Gavin. So why is that different, or how is this sitch with the Colts different, than their previous teams?

Were the Pats and Illini playing opposite hand?

I'm pretty sure Pagano has already said Thomas will be the LG.

I asked for some logic, and you delivered, Gavin. So why is that different, or how is this sitch with the Colts different, than their previous teams?

Were the Pats and Illini playing opposite hand?

why is what different?

I'm sticking with it till I see otherwise. The left side is the weak side and the right is the strong side. Doesn't make sense to switch him IMO.

??? But everyone is saying they are switching them? Thomas from RG with NE to LG for the Colts. Thornton from LG/LT with the Illini to RG for the Colts.