Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Select Hugh Thornton With 3rd Pick

krunk

No Hilton and Dwayne was picked for need. What I was trying to say was that there is exceptions to that rule, A. Beatha, A foster, D, Freeney are few of the examples of this.

Lol how was picking Dwayne a need? He was the 2nd TE in a row taken by us. TE for one isn't even a position of critical need on a team so I don't think top priority was drafting TEs. Simple fact is Allen was best player available at the time. The fact that Fleener was taken before him had nothing to do with need. He was just the best player left at the time according to the Colts.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, he will not start day 1 because of where he was drafted.  If he was a day 1 started, then he wp\ould have went higher.  Again, I have said there are exceptions.

I hope he does well, but will not shout for joy till I see it.

You speak as if he was drafted in the 6th round or something. You must have forgotten Dwayne Allen was drafted in the 3rd round. He certainly started from day one, and the Colts had strong expectations of him.

I agree that Thornton could work in our system, but not day 1.  We needed a day 1 starter not some one down the road.

Why? We are a young team. We arent NE or Denver who is in pure win now mode.

The fact is unless a guard is a special prospect/player...you almost never see high draft picks or big money spent on the position.

Chance Warmack and Cooper were two exceptions in this draft and we had no shot at them. After them there wasnt alot separating the rest.

Again...similar to your position on pass rushers....who else were we going to get? Levitre? He's a decent guard but he isnt anything amazing. Vasquez? ALOT of SD fans were not upset to see him leave.

I dont want to put words in your mouth but I just get a feeling your caught up in names and maybe a little dissapointed that we didnt get any of the guys you actually knew coming into this.

Cause he ran a 4.8 40. Good thing Grigson goes on tape instead of just combine results.

I agree with grigson about combine.  IMO, Allen was the best TE in last year's draft, but fell becaue os a slow 40 at combine.

Has to be another reason. Jarvis Jones only dropped to the Stellers at 18, I believe and Werner was suppose to be better than him.

Lol how was picking Dwayne a need? He was the 2nd TE in a row taken by us. TE for one isn't even a position of critical need on a team so I don't think top priority was drafting TEs. Simple fact is Allen was best player available at the time. The fact that Fleener was taken before him had nothing to do with need. He was just the best player left at the time according to the Colts.

Needed a 2nd TE and a blocking TE.  I agree that Dwayne was BPA, but was still a need.

You speak as if he was drafted in the 6th round or something. You must have forgotten Dwayne Allen was drafted in the 3rd round. He certainly started from day one, and the Colts had strong expectations of him.

Did not start day 1. Was behind Fleener.  He played, but did not start till Fleener got hurt.

Why? We are a young team. We arent NE or Denver who is in pure win now mode.

The fact is unless a guard is a special prospect/player...you almost never see high draft picks or big money spent on the position.

Chance Warmack and Cooper were two exceptions in this draft and we had no shot at them. After them there wasnt alot separating the rest.

Again...similar to your position on pass rushers....who else were we going to get? Levitre? He's a decent guard but he isnt anything amazing. Vasquez? ALOT of SD fans were not upset to see him leave.

I dont want to put words in your mouth but I just get a feeling your caught up in names and maybe a little dissapointed that we didnt get any of the guys you actually knew coming into this.

We have a QB to protect.  We saw what happens when you have to tighten the belt and bring in 2nd and 3rd tier players.  I want us to give Luck every chance to succeed.  Names is not what I care about, but results.  At the end of the day, did we give our QB what it took to get the job done.

We have a QB to protect.  We saw what happens when you have to tighten the belt and bring in 2nd and 3rd tier players.  I want us to give Luck every chance to succeed.  Names is not what I care about, but results.  At the end of the day, did we give our QB what it took to get the job done.

Fair enough.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. I dont agree but we can agree to disagree. :thmup:

Btw I dont think youre a troll. Ive seen you on here for a while. I give you props for keeping your cool with the onslaught of quotes youre getting. lol.

Fair enough.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. I dont agree but we can agree to disagree. :thmup:

Btw I dont think youre a troll. Ive seen you on here for a while. I give you props for keeping your cool with the onslaught of quotes youre getting. lol.

Thank you.  If you step back and look at what happened so far this Off-season, you get mixed views.  What grigson did in the 1st rd shows people that he does not even trust his own judgement.  He brought in a Young pass rusher in FA (Sidbury), then drafts another before Sidbury can show if he can play or not.  One of the reasons I have a wait and see attitude

Love this pick. Have had this kid on my draft board for a few months. Doing research on him puts perspective on just how much he has gone through and how it has shaped him as a person. This guy is exactly the kind of person I want to see in a Colts uniform. Best wishes to him and really hope to see him in that starting Guard spot Week 1.

This.  There is a long history of teams getting caught up in measurables rather than production when it comes to pass rushers, which is detrimental since production in college tends to be a very good predictor of production in the NFL when it comes to pass rushing.

Additionally, it would be functionally impossible to take a player at 24 who didn't drop to 24, so asking why Werner in particular dropped to 24 is pointless.

To say that a player is only as good as his draft slot is ignoring the reality of the draft, which is that different commodities at different stages of the draft mean different things to different teams.  To say that a player your team picks in the third round is a bad pick because that player fell to the third round is a contradiction that can't be reconciled.  Yes, absent any context I would rather have Warmack than Thornton, but that entire discussion would be irrelevant.

If you follow his " logic" , I guess you should package all your picks and trade up as high as it takes you. Not sure if it was him but one person claimed that because Werner "fell" to 24 , he would have been available in the 2nd round. 

Never said they would.  I agree that we upgraded over last year's Oline, but how much is still yetto be detemined.

Cherilus- one good season, before that Stafford had to run for his life.

Thomas- perennial back-up. Don't know if can give us 16 games.

This new OG- not that good or would have been drafted higher. Probably will not start this year except because of injuries.

I see nothing unreasonable in that.

Colts general manager Ryan Grigson said that Thornton graded out as the top guard during this year's Senior Bowl and that was after a senior year where he started at left tackle for Illinois.

I know for a fact Warford was at the senior bowl as well

You feel he could have been available later, but admittedly you have no idea who he is.

That's exactly the point. I did not make a factual statement, it was a statement based on a gut feeling which is what you do when you don't know.

If pass rusher was a need then grigson messed up FA.  Sorry one way or the other can't have both.

I don't know why you think this?   There's not an ounce of logic behind it.

The money for the top pass rushers was not to his liking...

And the draft was deep in DL and OL.    Grigson is going by simple economics and the law of supply and demand.

He's not building the team with free agency OR the draft...   he's building it with BOTH.

I don't know why you're having a hard time with this concept,  but you really are.....

Thank you.  If you step back and look at what happened so far this Off-season, you get mixed views.  What grigson did in the 1st rd shows people that he does not even trust his own judgement.  He brought in a Young pass rusher in FA (Sidbury), then drafts another before Sidbury can show if he can play or not.  One of the reasons I have a wait and see attitude

Oh for Goodness sakes.....    you might be the most logically challeneged individual since...  (no wait a minute....  we have others)

He brought in Sidbury on a one year deal.   That's it.   A simple flier.   No downside and all upside.   And that alone in your view means we were not supposed to invest in a premium talent?!?

This gets more bizarre with each passing post.....

Watched his game against Michigan and I absolutely LOVED what I saw. He dominates his man and tries to destroy him. He didn't let sped rushers beat him and always blocked till the whistle blew. He rareIy, if ever got beat and let his man make the tackle. I definitely think he will be a starter by the beginning of the season.

Is it me or does appear in that video that he chop blocks quite a few times? Or, what is that launching at pass rusher's feet.

It's evident that that's how they cut off the backside at Illinois on certain plays they have, because it looks pre determined

For what it's worth,  it's 11:30p on the West Coast as I'm writing this post.   There are some 266 posts in this thread.

And our friend Gacker65 is responsible either in posting, or generating responses for 111 posts.

That's nearly 42 percent of this very long thread about a 3rd round draft pick.   Props to him for keeping his cool all the way,  but this is madness.    Simply madness....

There's no certainty Sidbury makes this team, he was signed to a 1 year deal for the minimum. He wasn't brought in to be a difference maker.

I could be wrong but to me (even though the Holding rule seems to be open for interpretation) he looks to hold on about 6 of those snaps

and he got confused on a stunt

Stopped moving his feet way to much from the looks of it after he was engaged with a defender which lead to some unfinished blocks

wasn't really ever challenged in that game by savvy pass rushing moves

Like him but he has a ways to go-Will be a developing player who will compete to start

All my opinion of course, dont amount to nothing, just what I saw

Absolutely LOVE the absolute meltdown...

Love that the nay sayers never back anything up with their own evaluations or opinions or refer any real on field tangible content, apparently Thornton is a bad pick because Kiper & Mayock don't have him ranked in the top ten...

There is a reason Kiper & Mayock spend their time making MOCKs... Because NFL teams don't want to entrust their team to them... Grigson is his own talent evaluator and he hires a staff and has coaches who help him evaluate players, glad they aren't reading kippers top 100 to base their evaluation...

People who are shocked & complain about players they don't know about are hilarious...

I could be wrong but to me (even though the Holding rule seems to be open for interpretation) he looks to hold on about 6 of those snaps

and he got confused on a stunt

Stopped moving his feet way to much from the looks of it after he was engaged with a defender which lead to some unfinished blocks

wasn't really ever challenged in that game by savvy pass rushing moves

Like him but he has a ways to go-Will be a developing player who will compete to start

All my opinion of course, dont amount to nothing, just what I saw

It's only holding if they call it...everyone knows that lol

This new OG- not that good or would have been drafted higher. Probably will not start this year except because of injuries.

People are good in the third... We got Hilton last year, heck, joe Montana was a third round pick. He will be a starter day one.

Absolutely LOVE the absolute meltdown...

Love that the nay sayers never back anything up with their own evaluations or opinions or refer any real on field tangible content, apparently Thornton is a bad pick because Kiper & Mayock don't have him ranked in the top ten...

There is a reason Kiper & Mayock spend their time making MOCKs... Because NFL teams don't want to entrust their team to them... Grigson is his own talent evaluator and he hires a staff and has coaches who help him evaluate players, glad they aren't reading kippers top 100 to base their evaluation...

People who are shocked & complain about players they don't know about are hilarious...

I love our picks

By this logic, no one that is drafted after the first round is going to start... Your logic is flawed, my friend.