Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Select Hugh Thornton With 3rd Pick

krunk

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

By him dropping that far, you have to ask why and no one did.

Except you could say the SAME EXACT thing about every other player.  Name a player who was available to us at 24 who you think we should have taken, and I can say that same exact thing about him.

Your first two points have some merit, but your third is illogical, unless you are saying that no one drafted outside of the 24th pick in the third round is any good.  That makes no sense.

Did not say that. usually after 2nd rd, you are looking for depth.  With that said, there have been players taken or overlooked for some reason that can step in on day 1 and start.

That makes no sense.  Are you saying Grigson messed up by not singing Avril?

Avril is a bit overrated, IMO...

Actually, I don't think ANY of cgawkers comments make any sense.

So if we need a pass rusher in the draft, we messed up FA?  How about guard, CB, WR, RB, or any particular position?  If we need any of those, we messed up FA too?  That's just a nonsensical statement.

Could have got Werner in 2nd round.  By him dropping that far, you have to ask why and no one did.  IMO, if we had not drafted him in 1st rd, he is still there in 2nd.

The Packers took a DE two picks after we did. Who's to say they dont take Werner at the the 26th pick. 

Thanks for the write up.  At the very least, we'll have some great competition for the G spot.  I'm still pulling for Ijalana and hope Anderson can really play too.  Not to mention hoping Reitz can finally stay healthy.

"great competition for the G spot." :D ROFL !!!! i don't know if anyone else caught that

If pass rusher was a need then grigson messed up FA.  Sorry one way or the other can't have both.

Who was he going to get in FA?

Kruger appears to be a 1 hit wonder and is certainly no guarantee. Freeney showed he didnt fit this defense at all. Avril looked like a decent player but is really a 4-3 DE.

Dumervil appeared to be a Bronco before the whole fax fiasco....Abraham, Osi are both 4-3 DEs and on the downside of their career. Basically the same thing as Freeney.

Not sure who you expected him to go get. Id take Werner over just about all of those guys with the exception of Dumervil.

An OLB was a want?? Reaaallyyy??? We were one of the worst pass rush defense of last year WITH Mathis and Freeney! Walden is for run support, Mathis will get double teamed, Hughes...well...he's Hughes.

Why in the world would anyone think an OLB is a want??

We got Luck quite a bit of O-line help this offseason, we also got him TWO starting TEs last year, one from his college team. Two WRs, and a RB who is now a starter. This draft NEEDS to be defense heavy!

Comes down to whether or not Grigson did FA correctly.  I do not trust him, but am willing to give him the benefit of doubt and was willing to let Walden and Sidbury play to find out how FA went.

Did not say that. usually after 2nd rd, you are looking for depth.  With that said, there have been players taken or overlooked for some reason that can step in on day 1 and start.

No, you're not.  You're looking for good players, period.  I don't think TY Hilton or Dwayne Allen were picked for depth.  Also, Antoine Bethea heavily disapproves of your comment.

Side note, yeah, if Patton falls to us in the 4th I would bite on that one.  The guy is just plain good at just about everything.  It's uncanny.  He doesn't have the elite measurables of a Megatron, but I swear to you guys, he's everything you want in a wide receiver otherwise.

EDIT:  Seriously, Quinton Patton has hall of fame potential  Not kidding.

Disagree with your first sentence.  It depends on your team.  Let's face it, even if the Colts did well last year, their OL stunk.  Even in the third round, I think we were looking for and hopefully found a starter.  It's not as if we were the 49ers.  In that case, sure, Thornton would probably only be looked at as depth or a future project.

Who was he going to get in FA?

Kruger appears to be a 1 hit wonder and is certainly no guarantee. Freeney showed he didnt fit this defense at all. Avril looked like a decent player but is really a 4-3 DE.

Dumervil appeared to be a Bronco before the whole fax fiasco....Abraham, Osi are both 4-3 DEs and on the downside of their career. Basically the same thing as Freeney.

Not sure who you expected him to go get. Id take Werner over just about all of those guys with the exception of Dumervil.

Yeah, I'd also take Werner over just about anyone you mentioned.

Comes down to whether or not Grigson did FA correctly.  I do not trust him, but am willing to give him the benefit of doubt and was willing to let Walden and Sidbury play to find out how FA went.

You dont trust the guy that became Executive of the Year his FIRST year as a GM???

He was one of the primary reasons we went from going from 2-14 to 11-5.

He drafted 5 starters last year, 5 starters that look to be the future of our QB, RB, WR, and TE position for quite some time. A DT that will be a starter this year.

And...you dont trust him??

Ok then.

Whether we could have gotten him in the 4th is a question we'll likely never be able to answer - he's a mid-round graded O-lineman with outstanding size.  Hard to rely on that happening if Grigson really liked him.  More upside than Jones IMO.

Don't really understand what you mean by "set the tone."  There is no tone.  There is just picks.  Maybe you can sum up the draft with a pithy quote after its done, but there is no tone.

Pass rusher was absolutely a position of need, and the front half of the first round was overloaded with O-line.  To my very great sadness, we actually did kind of alright last season (I know, it's tough being us), and missed out on that run.  But, fortunately, arguably the best pass rusher in the draft (yes I mean that) fell to us, and we needed one, so we took him.

So, yeah, our next pick was in the third round.

The third round is NOT (and I'm going to repeat that a few times - NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT) irrelevant afterthoughts.  We had 2 third round picks last year, and we spent them on a couple of guys with the names of T.Y. Hilton and Dwayne Allen.

I would invite you to start a thread calling those guys afterthoughts who aren't any good because they weren't drafted earlier.  You'll get run out of here to the sound of raucous laughter.

Put this another way.  If you believe that grigson did well if FA then our stopping Werner from sliding out of the 1st round was a want.  If Grigson messed up his FA pick=ups, then Werner was a need.

Could have got Werner in 2nd round.  By him dropping that far, you have to ask why and no one did.  IMO, if we had not drafted him in 1st rd, he is still there in 2nd.

IF a fair trade down package was available...then maybe so.

Evidently there was not a fair trade down.

And there was a pretty widespeard consensus that the players in the 25-45 range were very evenly rated...which leaves all of this up to our player personnel folks to decide.

All I'm saying is that....assuming you were happy with a very surprising 11-5 record....you sound totally dejected over a crop of free agents and 2 draft picks who haven't played so much as one snap yet.

Why panic like that?

Could have got Werner in 2nd round. By him dropping that far, you have to ask why and no one did. IMO, if we had not drafted him in 1st rd, he is still there in 2nd.

We had no second pick this year.

So without trading, couldn't happen.

Top 5 Interior Offensive Linemen Draft prospects:

#5 Hugh Thornton
Having played guard until 2012, Thornton’s play at left tackle this season has helped him prove his athleticism to NFL scouts. Thornton has surprised with his ability to pull and lead block effectively on outside runs and to get through to the second level to block linebackers well. Although he is not a “fire-off” the ball in-line run blocker, he does lock up man quickly and has the playing strength to turn man out of the play. Heavy hands and good hand placement enable Thornton to lock-out in pass pro and keep man pinned on the line. He can slide easily to adjust to different pass rush moves and to pick-up delayed blitzes. Thornton’s strength, athleticism and hand-use give him the tools to start at center or guard and do a solid job as a backup/swing tackle, which increases his draft value. ---National Football Post

Put this another way.  If you believe that grigson did well if FA then our stopping Werner from sliding out of the 1st round was a want.  If Grigson messed up his FA pick=ups, then Werner was a need.

Insane.  Troll.  Logic.

Seriously, if, in theory, any need in the draft is reflective of failure in free agency, then why do we have any draft picks at all?  In that sense, shouldn't we have, I don't know, traded our first rounder for Revis or something?

BTW, I seriously doubt Werner was going to slide out of the first.  But that's another issue entirely.

What you're saying just makes no sense.  You're saying that if Grigson did well in FA, we wouldn't need any draft picks at all.

You CAN'T fill all your holes in free agency.  It's neither feasible nor desirable.  You build a team through the draft.  To say that needing a pass rusher in the draft reflects a dire failure of the management in free agency is delusional at best, and frankly if I called it psychotic I'd probably be charitable.

Yet another player taken that I have no clue who it is.

So, I have no comment for this. Just gonna continue to sit back & watch it all pan out

I wouldn't worry too much if some of you don't know who he is because, as someone mentioned in passing in an earlier post, the Colts know who he is. In fact, the Colts O-line coach, Joe Gilbert, was Thornton's O-line coach his sophomore and junior seasons so I'm fairly confident that the Colts are very confident that they got a player they wanted.

Again, that statement makes no sense.  You can't fix everything in free agency. 

That kind of viewpoint turns you into the Washington Redskins of yesteryear.  Albert Haynesworth, anyone?

No, you're not.  You're looking for good players, period.  I don't think TY Hilton or Dwayne Allen were picked for depth.  Also, Antoine Bethea heavily disapproves of your comment.

No Hilton and Dwayne was picked for need.  What I was trying to say was that there is exceptions to that rule, A. Beatha, A foster, D, Freeney are few of the examples of this.

Cherilus- one good season, before that Stafford had to run for his life.

Thomas- perennial back-up.  Don't know if can give us 16 games.

This new OG- not that good or would have been drafted higher.  Probably will not start this year except because of injuries.

eeyore-rain-cloud-pessimism-pessimist.jp

Insane. Troll. Logic.

Seriously, if, in theory, any need in the draft is reflective of failure in free agency, then why do we have any draft picks at all? In that sense, shouldn't we have, I don't know, traded our first rounder for Revis or something?

BTW, I seriously doubt Werner was going to slide out of the first. But that's another issue entirely.

What you're saying just makes no sense. You're saying that if Grigson did well in FA, we wouldn't need any draft picks at all.

You CAN'T fill all your holes in free agency. It's neither feasible nor desirable. You build a team through the draft. To say that needing a pass rusher in the draft reflects a dire failure of the management in free agency is delusional at best, and frankly if I called it psychotic I'd probably be charitable.

haha I frankly agree. Colts added mass depth.

No Hilton and Dwayne was picked for need.  What I was trying to say was that there is exceptions to that rule, A. Beatha, A foster, D, Freeney are few of the examples of this.

There are waaaay too many 3rd rounders and on, turning into starters, not depth. 

When it's that common, by definition... that's not an exception.

"Get yo Popcorn Ready" -Terrell Owens

Grigson just can't win in some eyes no matter who he picks in the draft( last year as well)

Two biggest needs were pass rush and interior line, Grigson addressed both with the first two picks. What more do you want, you want him to teach your dog to do a backflip