Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Team Needs (as of March 20th)

Andy

**This is the way I see it**

The Colts have made a lot of signings in free agency and have addressed a lot of needs. I breakdown the position that needs the most attention (i.e draft picks, free agent signings) and the ones that need the least.

Offensive Guard

Donald Thomas is a solid addition, but he's nothing special. He should be a fine guard though, and I doubt many will have to worry about him. The problem is the other guys. Joe Reitz, and I've been saying this for the last few years, is a short term solution. He's not a longterm starter. I believe his time as a starter has run out after a dismal season last year. I saw him get torn up by Karl Klug (average defensive tackle) from Tennessee. Ouch! The Colts need another guard and they need to find it in the draft or in free agency, however the draft is the better place to look. This year's class is superb, with standouts in the first round, and starters going into the 4th round. However, next year, I shouldn't see any returning Colts starting at the guard spots because last year, both of them (McGlynn and Reitz) were awful. Also, with the departure of Seth Olsen and Link on the fence, it wouldn't be bad to bring in a couple of depth players. 

Strong-Side Outside Linebacker

Robert Mathis is great at the rush outslde linebacker spot. Don't get me started about Jerry Hughes, as he's barely a backup. As for the strong side spot, Erik Walden is the incumbent. Walden wasn't flashy, and he wasn't exactly overly impressive in Green Bay. After watching him and reading on him, I noticed that he's a pure run stopper, and his pass rushing skills are below average. The Colts need a contain guy; a guy that can stop outside runs. However, I think an ideal strong-side OLB can do both things very well, whereas a rush guy is more of a pass rusher. That's how I see, and I'm not alone. If Walden isn't a pass rushing threat, teams will double team Mathis, and the Colts will lose their pass rush. Walden isn't the ideal starter, which is why the position is still high on the needs attention (needs) list. 

Wide Receiver

Reggie Wayne is great! I'm not 100% convinced that TY Hilton is a #2 receiver in the NFL, and even if he is, there is no slot receiver on the Colts. No I don't think Lavon Brazill, a late round pick with very limited playing time last year, can play that position full time, at least not yet, he could soon. The Colts need one more starter at the position, a guy that can replace Donnie Avery. They have options in free agency that could go for cheap, or they can look in the draft, where there a lot of real gems in the middle rounds, and some good deep threats in the earlier rounds. 

Nose Tackle

This one is going to be very tricky to explain. The Colts signed Aubrayo Franklin, and have Josh Chapman and Martin Tevaseu to back him up. Franklin is a veteran and should do fine at the position, and although I don't think it's something people should worry about right now, it's a position that will definitely need attention soon. Can Josh Chapman have a healthy successful career in the NFL? If he can't, who will the Colts look for? If Franklin goes down, this automatically becomes the biggest need position. Right now, it's not something to worry about, but it's something people should keep an eye on. 

Cornerback

The Colts have 2 capable starters in Vontae Davis and Greg Toler. Darius Butler showed flashes of brilliance last year, but still has to prove that he's a starter in the league. The Colts lack some depth at the position; actually they lack bodies. All they have at the position is Cassius Vaughn as a backup. They need to find more depth and potentially a backup option for Darius Butler if he isn't doing well. 

Center

This is an interesting position. Last year, the backup outplayed the starter. Now, going into the training camp, I doubt the backup will be the starter, making the original starter the starter. Confusing? Samson Satele disapointed last year as the hyped up free agent who helped pave the way for DRC the season before. His backup AQ Shipley came in and performed very well. As I said before, Satele will probably be the starter going into the training camp. If he doesn't improve, I think the coaching staff won't resitate to put Shipley in, that's just my opinion. So, this position has good depth and a pretty good starter (Satele is still pretty solid despite last year). However, their play this season will be interesting to watch, because this position has the talent to be at the bottom of my list, if you know what I mean. 

Offensive Tackle

People are critical of Anthony Castonzo at left tackle, but he improved a lot last year and was the Colts' best offensive lineman. I think he's a fine fit at left tackle. The Colts then signed Gosder Cherilus at the right tackle spot. Cherilus had a few mediocre years in Detroit, but picked it up last year and proved to be a solid player. He will start at the right tackle spot, and with the Colts have a bit of depth at the position, it's not a big need, or even a need at all. 

Defensive End (3 Tech and 4-3)

The Colts utilize both a 3-4 and a 4-3 hybrid, but it's mostly 3-4 now. If the Colts go into a 4-3, which should happen several times in a game, then they'll have trouble finding a guy to put across from Mathis. As for the 3-4 on the D-line, the Colts have Cory Redding who impressed last season, and they have Fili Moala, Ricky Jean Francois, and Drake Nevis at the other 3 tech spot. This position has no star, but it has depth and capable starters. 

Safety

With the addition of Landry, this really isn't a position of need anymore. However, his play must be monitored. The Colts also have pretty good depth at the position with Lefeged being the first backup.

Inside Linebacker

This is a postion with 3 starters; too bad there are only 2 spots.There isn't a star, but all 3 can do a very good job. No worries here. 

Running Back

Although there isn't that star running back, Ballard is a solid starter, and the Colts have depth at the position.

Tight End

Dwayne Allen and Coby Fleener seem to be a great duo. Allen is a very complete tight end and Fleener is more of a receiving tight end. No worries here.

Quarterback

This will stay at the bottom for the next 12 years, at least...

I put our needs in the draft as OG, WR, OLB, and CB. We need to groom another guard. We need another playmaker on the outside at receiver. We need to groom a pass rushing lb...Mathis isn't getting younger. CB we need depth. We have solid starters and a nickel but NOTHING if someone goes down....also they will need special teamers in that cb/s mold to make plays there.

I put our needs in the draft as OG, WR, OLB, and CB. We need to groom another guard. We need another playmaker on the outside at receiver. We need to groom a pass rushing lb...Mathis isn't getting younger. CB we need depth. We have solid starters and a nickel but NOTHING if someone goes down....also they will need special teamers in that cb/s mold to make plays there.

thank you for summarizing everything in the original post.

Honestly I think we have pretty solid options for the pass rush opposite of Mathis. Hickman, Hughes, and although I've never actually seen him play, Sidbury has generated some sacks in his limited pass rushes. I think he'll surprise. I imagine we'll see Walden in for base downs, but in Nickel and Dime we'll see any combination of the other edge rushers.

Guard and WR are the top priorities right now, with CB a distant 3rd imo.

Honestly I think we have pretty solid options for the pass rush opposite of Mathis. Hickman, Hughes, and although I've never actually seen him play, Sidbury has generated some sacks in his limited pass rushes. I think he'll surprise. I imagine we'll see Walden in for base downs, but in Nickel and Dime we'll see any combination of the other edge rushers.

Guard and WR are the top priorities right now, with CB a distant 3rd imo.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Sidbury has ever played in a 3-4.

Don't expect much from Hickman, he did nothing last year and that should continue this year.

Dear God, Hughes, just seeing that name makes me cringe.

Even if Sidbury surprises, the Colts still need more options (and better options) at OLB. A relatively early draft pick comes to mind.

Don't expect much from Hickman, he did nothing last year and that should continue this year.

Even if Sidbury surprises, the Colts still need more options (and better options) at OLB. A relatively early draft pick comes to mind.

I don't know, I thought Hickman was always putting pressure on the QB when he actually got in the game. He didn't get any sacks but he didn't have many opportunities. Hughes, while much maligned, has been a decent pass rusher....even in 2011 he was alright in my book. As a run stopper and coverage guy....different story. I wouldn't worry about Sidbury not playing in a 3-4. If he does get any opportunities it will be as a Nickel pass rusher, with his hand on the ground.

Not saying I'd be opposed to drafting an OLB, I just don't think it's a very high priority right now. I'd rather see how it plays out next year and possibly address it in the offseason. This is probably Hughes last year here anyway.

Agree with OG,OLB,WR,CB.  Hoping that they can find a rental or two in the flooded FA market, I know most think they are done at this point.  Seems like more and more pundits are saying the value is in the middle rounds in this draft, I think the only thing that might effect the Colts possible trade value is being sandwiched by the Vikings who may be willing to take less for someone to move up.

The Clowns here don`t have a clue that if Hughes got a similar number of snaps as Anthony Spencer has gotten career wise,

Hughes Tackle & Sacks numbers last season project to a Typical Spencer season. 61 Tackles 6 sacks. Clearly, a little known Fact.

You can parade all the stats you want for Jerry Hughes, but the fact remains, that the Colts will let him go as soon as it is financially prudent to do so.

dfiefvoiefvmvoimo

Oops, sorry, my red nose fell off and hit the keyboard......

You can parade all the stats you want for Jerry Hughes, but the fact remains, that the Colts will let him go as soon as it is financially prudent to do so.

dfiefvoiefvmvoimo

Oops, sorry, my red nose fell off and hit the keyboard......

Hmm where is your source stating that its a fact?

For me, I can see Hughes improvement on rushing the passer with the new defense. What I also see is him getting blown up when directly blocked. He fails to establish an edge on rushing plays and if I had a dollar for every time I have seen him turned or pushed out of the way I could build a new wing onto my home......He is a solid pass rushing entity......I haven't seen enough of him in pass coverage to have an opinion but he is terrible against the run, unless you consider chasing the runner down from behind or from the side as an asset. just my opinion.

I believe Colts will draft best player available which could be WR, TE, OL, DE, RB or any position except QB. Our OL will have Ijalana, Griffin, Anderson, Reitz, and McGlynn all competing for the RG spot. Ijalana may be on pup until October if his knee is not healed. Anderson can play guard and tackle but may be best suited for the right guard position. Anderson is similar to Thomas in that he has not played OL much since Georgia had him at DT for a while but he could beat out McGlynn for the spot if he is healthy. On defense Pagano and Griggs have been trying to get athletes who fit the 3-4 scheme. It seems that they now have as much athletic ability as Baltimore's defense had, so now Pagano has to teach them how he wants to play defense. Landry made the pro bowl last year and should improve the defense. Francois had started to come into his own in SF towards the end of the season. Franklin and Chapman should both be able to colapse the pocket. Johnson last year was kept in check by a single blocker. We have not accounted for McKinney being healthy this year. Right now the team is like a soup being put together with good possibilities. In the preseason we get to taste the soup to see if it will be good.

For me, I can see Hughes improvement on rushing the passer with the new defense. What I also see is him getting blown up when directly blocked. He fails to establish an edge on rushing plays and if I had a dollar for every time I have seen him turned or pushed out of the way I could build a new wing onto my home......He is a solid pass rushing entity......I haven't seen enough of him in pass coverage to have an opinion but he is terrible against the run, unless you consider chasing the runner down from behind or from the side as an asset. just my opinion.

I wonder what your opinion of Mathis and Freeney are/were as run defenders if you thought Hughes was bad haha...

That doesn't matter...in pass rush situations last year, the colts almost always went with a nickel package and a 4 man front, so Sidbury would be at his famliiar DE role. 

Also, for the NT position, you forgot about Brandon McKinney.

i dont know how WR became such a huge position of need, everyone saying we were fine before irsay said we were targeting one, but after, somehow a WR is a top priority?

i still think CB is still a bigger need, personally im not sold on Toler, id draft Rhodes in a heartbeat if he is there but dont like Trufant in the first, he reminds me of how Kyle Wilson shot up into the first round a few years ago because of a good senior bowl and combine/pro day and alot of ppl here were all over him, then he was drafted by the jets and he has been average at best IMO

1) Guard. Essentially, we have two LGs, and one of them couldn't stay healthy last year (Reitz). I really like Reitz, I think he can be an above average LG, but the injury flags are out there (knee and concussions). So, the best possible solution is to draft us a RG, start Thomas at LG, and move Reitz to a back-up role (where he can have an easier time staying healthy and be a better option than Linkenbach).

2) Tackle. Do you guys realize that Linkenbach is the best/only back-up OT we have? Scary, huh? I wouldn't use our first rounder on it, but I'd definitely use the third.

3) Wide Receiver. I like Brazill more than most, and really like the 1/2/3 of Wayne, Hilton, and Brazill. However, there really isn't anyone else special developing back there. Adams, Palmer, Sambrano, Whalen, Kelley - CFAs, all of them. Seems like a well-placed draft pick could give us a #4 developing for the post-Wayne days.

4) Corner. Like WR, I like our 1/2/3 of Davis, Toler, and Butler. Vaughn got some valuable experience last year, and while most of it was painful, he flashed some ability. However, with Davis' contract up after the next year, I'd like to fill in depth some more. It's always a good idea to do that when key contracts come up (so the player doesn't have you over a barrel).

5) Saftey. We'll see about Landry. Bethea's aging (and had his worst year as a pro last year). I like Lefeged as a swing guy who can cover and play either safety position. But it's a little barren after that. The depth needs to be filled in.

I really think that Grigson is done with the front seven on D. Mathis and Hughes are the starter and back-up at Rush OLB. and Walden and Sidbury are the starter and back-up at the other OLB spot. They looked for guys they thought could "set the edge" against the run, and that's who we're going with. We have options signed at NT in case Chapman takes more time before fulfilling his destiny - Franklin, McKinney, Tevaseau, Heard. And the addition of Francois gives us 4 DEs.

Andy - very nice write up! I'm not as down on Hughes as others are but I see your point. I don't look at a players performance weighted against where he was drafted or how much he's paid. None of that matters when they get on the field.

Again, great write up. Shows that except for QB, TE, and maybe RB, the BPA should be selected in the draft.

Walden wasn't flashy, and he wasn't exactly overly impressive in Green Bay. After watching him and reading on him, I noticed that he's a pure run stopper, and his pass rushing skills are below average. The Colts need a contain guy; a guy that can stop outside runs. However, I think an ideal strong-side OLB can do both things very well, whereas a rush guy is more of a pass rusher. That's how I see, and I'm not alone. If Walden isn't a pass rushing threat, teams will double team Mathis, and the Colts will lose their pass rush. Walden isn't the ideal starter, which is why the position is still high on the needs attention (needs) list. 

Do you realize that Walden has been #2 on the Packers the last two years in QB Pressures? Only 3 sacks, but I seem to remember he had around 26.5 QBP.  Doesn't sound like someone who can't rush the passer to me. Granted, the really good rushers close the deal with sacks, but I believe that Grigson brought him in because he can do both - set the edge and rush the passer...

With all the new additions they have added over the last week, The #1 need IMO is still OG. We really need to add another good guard because I don't really want to see Reitz or McGlynn starting if we can help it. I think Reitz is ok, but he always has injury problems it seems and McGlynn is just terrible.

With that said, it's highly doubtful we'll get one of the better guards at our draft position. I would like a trade down and grab one in the 2nd rd.. I have been dead set against getting a WR, but since they were able to address so many area's in free agency, I wouldn't mind grabbing one with another pick if we can trade down out of the 1st rd.

I'm not down on OLBer like many are and I don't really feel like it is an immediate need so if we don't draft one it won't bother me at all. Essentially what were going to be drafting for is depth at this point, so IMO adding another DE and possibly even more O-line depth is where I would go after the first couple of picks.

The Clowns here don`t have a clue that if Hughes got a similar number of snaps as Anthony Spencer has gotten career wise,

Hughes Tackle & Sacks numbers last season project to a Typical Spencer season. 61 Tackles 6 sacks. Clearly, a little known Fact.

You don't really believe it's that cut and dry, do you?

Because that formula has been applied in the past to guys like Rob Johnson and Scott Mitchell...with results that left their GMs with 6-egg omelets dripping off their faces. We can't simply extrapolate a small sample's worth of statistics into a Pro Bowl level of production.

Let's not mince words....Jerry stunk as a 4-3 DE and Polian projecting him there was a mistake that he pretty much admitted himself. Given the very recent switch to the 3-4, Hughes will probably get one more season to show the 1st round ability we all hoped for....and if he produces Spencer-like impact I'll happily applaud it. If he doesn't....then he's finished in a Colts uniform.

Either way....along with OG....we HAVE to get better at that position.

Chuck Pagano's assessment on Hughes and the OLB spot will be found out by Week 1 and I won't lose a whole lotta sleep if he decides that Hughes can be let go. Pagano is no clown.

You don't really believe it's that cut and dry, do you?

Because that formula has been applied in the past to guys like Rob Johnson and Scott Mitchell...with results that left their GMs with 6-egg omelets dripping off their faces. We can't simply extrapolate a small sample's worth of statistics into a Pro Bowl level of production.

Let's not mince words....Jerry stunk as a 4-3 DE and Polian projecting him there was a mistake that he pretty much admitted himself. Given the very recent switch to the 3-4, Hughes will probably get one more season to show the 1st round ability we all hoped for....and if he produces Spencer-like impact I'll happily applaud it. If he doesn't....then he's finished in a Colts uniform.

Either way....along with OG....we HAVE to get better at that position.

Chuck Pagano's assessment on Hughes and the OLB spot will be found out by Week 1 and I won't lose a whole lotta sleep if he decides that Hughes can be let go. Pagano is no clown.

Many of the "experts" consider the Walden signing kinda "nutty", as he has certainly never shown 1st rd kind of ability either.

For $14M, Freeney was going to be played.

Hughes got 596 defensive snaps. And he made a lot of plays, Unlike Freeney. Just saying if he got half of Freeneys 619 snaps, he should have been able to continue to contribute at the rate he did, giving him similar #`s to an average Spencer season. And of course, he may have benefitted from more playing time/experience.

Hughes did have an additional 200+ plays on special teams. Let him apply that energy to OLB and...??

I don`t think Hughes will lack for work if the Colts let him go.

Many of the "experts" consider the Walden signing kinda "nutty", as he has certainly never shown 1st rd kind of ability either.

Hughes got 596 defensive snaps. And he made a lot of plays, Unlike Freeney. Just saying if he got half of Freeneys 619 snaps, he should have been able to continue to contribute at the rate he did, giving him similar #`s to an average Spencer season. And of course, he may have benefitted from more playing time/experience.

Hughes did have an additional 200+ plays on special teams. Let him apply that energy to OLB and...??

isn't 596 well over half of 619? i need to check the math

To be fair....we were indeed super-glued to Freeney with that contract and he was as miscast at 3-4 OLB as Hughes was in the 4-3.

Hopefully....Hughes will force his way into the starting line-up by simply winning the pre-season competition and go on to play solid at OLB. It looks like he'll get another shot at doing so and maybe better 3-4 personnel will help too....there ARE 10 other guys on defense and its supposed to function as a unit. :)

If he's on the roster I'm rootin' for him.

I like your write-up Andy... with the exception of ILB.

I do not think we are nearly as set at the position as many do. Angerer showed us close to nothing as a 3-4 ILB, and Connor is average. I seen Daniel Jeremiah mocked Manti T'eo to us at #24 in his latest edition, I would be very happy with that.

I really don't understand this NT romance with people. "Guise we ned got nt. We jus drapht wun but he no starter Cuz we ain't see him play". No. You can't simply continuously draft a position and never even stop to see what you have. They would not have drafted Chapman if they had no intention of playing him. /rant

I really don't understand this NT romance with people. "Guise we ned got nt. We jus drapht wun but he no starter Cuz we ain't see him play". No. You can't simply continuously draft a position and never even stop to see what you have. They would not have drafted Chapman if they had no intention of playing him. /rant

I agree, were 4 deep in NT's and don't need to add another one. Franklin, despite his age is still a very good NT, We absolutely do need to see what we got with Chapman and even if he's not what we expect him to be, we still have McKinney and Teveseu. Both are viable NT's that will be just fine. I think people are under the impression that even your backups have to be all pro's.

I think the Colts loaded up & addressed areas of need pretty efficiently this FA...

every team inevitably has holes or someplace they can improve, they cant all be pro-bowlers...

I think at this point the Colts will already field a better overall team than last year, & there is still the draft...

I am excited for next season...