Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Team Needs (as of March 20th)

Andy

Maybe colts can score Barrett Jones who has experience all over the line, guess he prefers center, but is willing to play wherever, could give the Colts an option for Center, or Guard....

I like Jones, but a prospect I love is Brian Schwenke, who's seriously flown under the radar for how good he is.  Nobody's talking about him, but the combination of movement, size, versatility and strength he gives a team is rare. He's slightly more athletic than Jonathan Cooper, who is an exceptional athlete himself for an interior lineman, and still brings power to the table. 

Schwenke's going to be a beast in the NFL and should warrant strong consideration with our 1st rounder if he's on the board. The mock draft guys are sleeping on his prospects; the NFL personnel guys aren't. He's got perennial Pro Bowl ability, just without the hype. I still see guys like Warford rated above him, for example, and there's no way Larry goes first on draft day.

I like Jones, but a prospect I love is Brian Schwenke, who's seriously flown under the radar for how good he is.  Nobody's talking about him, but the combination of movement, size, versatility and strength he gives a team is rare. He's slightly more athletic than Jonathan Cooper, who is an exceptional athlete himself for an interior lineman, and still brings power to the table. 

Schwenke's going to be a beast in the NFL and should warrant strong consideration with our 1st rounder if he's on the board. The mock draft guys are sleeping on his prospects; the NFL personnel guys aren't. He's got perennial Pro Bowl ability, just without the hype. I still see guys like Warford rated above him, for example, and there's no way Larry goes first on draft day.

I always forget about Schwenke when OLine prospects come up, he'd be a great pick-up too...

I also like Alvin Bailey especially if he's on the board in the fourth...

If we stand pat with our draft picks.....

1. WR- I don't think its our biggest need but it will be the easiest to fill with the talent available at #24

2. OG- Thomas was a good pick up but this depends on Ijanlana's health IMO. If the FO thinks he is good enough to compete for and possibly win a guard spot then this won't be as huge a need.

3. OLB- I'm anxious to see what Walden brings but we all know pass rush is a priority in the NFL. Remember when the Seahawks drafted Bruce Irvin and everyone in the whole universe said WHO!?

4. RB- Love Ballard. Dude showed some real heart on several occasions last season. I have no faith in Donald Brown, at all, period.

5. CB- You can never had too many guys who can cover.

I'd vote for WR & OG being the  top two needs. I think at least one will be addressed in FA soon.

Then I'd say on offense it'd be nice to have a vet tight end to mentor the two draftees. Also a better running back.

On defense, a 4th cornerback, & a young SS to back up Landry.  

Next year may need a FS, C, DE & rush OLB.

Peace

I agree, were 4 deep in NT's and don't need to add another one. Franklin, despite his age is still a very good NT, We absolutely do need to see what we got with Chapman and even if he's not what we expect him to be, we still have McKinney and Teveseu. Both are viable NT's that will be just fine. I think people are under the impression that even your backups have to be all pro's.

Agree definately no NT atleast not this year we cannot carry 5 NTs on the 53 man roster,thats crazy.If Chapman doesnt work out at NT maybe he can be a DT has a great motor.

You don't need shutdown corners when you have a good pass rush, ask Tom Coughlin! First round we draft a OLB wouldn't be surprised if Jarvas Jones drops or maybe Okafor idk whoever is the BPA at OLB. 3rd round we should go WR hopefully Grigson sees another WR that could benefit the offense like last year in finding t.y . 4th we should go OG or C then fifth we probably might draft the best fullback. That would be a good offseason IMO

I wonder what your opinion of Mathis and Freeney are/were as run defenders if you thought Hughes was bad haha...

Well in the 4-3 days both Freeney and Mathis took the best angle to the QB by design, run stopping was just a happy coincidence at best in those days....in the 3-4 Mathis has done fine (not outstanding but fine) in contain....Freeney still had pass rushing angles.......to me its different, in that Hughes takes the correct angles he just gets blown off the ball, Freeney on the other hand took pass rushing angles so he wasn't even in the run gap to get blown off the ball....the result, as Freeney loved to say, "at the end of the day" the result was the same but the shortcoming between he and Hughes was completely different.

My list:

1) Pass rusher -- The defense can manufacture a pass rush, but having a guy who can beat his man one on one any down would take pressure off of Mathis and help the coverage.

2) Interior offensive line -- Not sure what we have at guard or center. Thomas looks and sounds promising, but there's some questions about Satele and Shipley, and the other guard spot is basically up for grabs. We have some decent options in Reitz and Ijalana, if healthy, but this is not a position of strength at the moment.

3) Inside linebacker -- We have options, but Conner and Angerer are limited in this defense, and there's no proven depth outside of them and Freeman.

4) Receiver -- Wayne is rock solid. Hilton is one of my favorites. But nothing proven after those two. I like Brazill and Whalen, and we have a couple other prospects, but there's no real depth here, and I'm not sure Hilton is ready to be the #2. If the tight ends and backs are going to be a bigger part of the passing game, then it might not matter.

5) Cornerback -- Our top three is better now than it was last year, and Vaughn at dime is better than Vaughn at #2. But no depth.

Well if they draft and use FA like last year,It is going to be all Off.I can see Grigs drafting an OG ,C,RB,WR,and a DE and cB.But I Think top picks will be on Offense Considering FA DEF DEF DEF prospects.Please forgive my typing just had a neurostimilator implant get shocked alot while typing.And remember Grigs was a proffesional OLinemen he knows the Offense starts there.

4) Receiver -- Wayne is rock solid. Hilton is one of my favorites. But nothing proven after those two. I like Brazill and Whalen, and we have a couple other prospects, but there's no real depth here, and I'm not sure Hilton is ready to be the #2. If the tight ends and backs are going to be a bigger part of the passing game, then it might not matter.

Were Wayne to go down - very little depth or experience.

Too many NTs on team already cannot carry 5 on a 53 man roster

I think we have 4 actually. McKinney, Franklin, Chapman and Tevaseu. I dont remember if Heard is a NT but looking at his size...he is probably a DE. He's really tall to be a NT. Anywho...

I still dont know if we have a real starter yet on the roster and while the depth looks good on paper almost eveyr guy on the roster had significant injuries last year. I still wonder if McKinney and Tevaseu make the final 53. McKinney has been a career backup and was out all season, Tevaseu was nothing special and was basically a body to fill in for injuries, Chapman hasnt played a snap and is coming off serious injury and Franklin is 33 and also coming injury (albeit not as serious).

I think we have 4 actually. McKinney, Franklin, Chapman and Tevaseu. I dont remember if Heard is a NT but looking at his size...he is probably a DE. He's really tall to be a NT. Anywho...

I still dont know if we have a real starter yet on the roster and while the depth looks good on paper almost eveyr guy on the roster had significant injuries last year. I still wonder if McKinney and Tevaseu make the final 53. McKinney has been a career backup and was out all season, Tevaseu was nothing special and was basically a body to fill in for injuries, Chapman hasnt played a snap and is coming off serious injury and Franklin is 33 and also coming injury (albeit not as serious).

Yes 4 but if you draft 1 =5 I still dont know about Mc kinney hope hes healthy

I think we have two true needs that HAVE to be addressed:

Number Two WR

Kick Returner

Back Up Safety

We could use another MLB and but probably wouldn't fall apart if we don't get one unless we lost .

From there we could upgrade the following areas if a free fits that we like for the right price or they fall to us in the draft but we probably have people on the roster that could do the job:

Guard, Running Back, Pass Rusher, and Cornerback

I think we have two true needs that HAVE to be addressed:

Number Two WR

Kick Returner

Back Up Safety

We could use another MLB and but probably wouldn't fall apart if we don't get one unless we lost .

From there we could upgrade the following areas if a free fits that we like for the right price or they fall to us in the draft but we probably have people on the roster that could do the job:

Guard, Running Back, Pass Rusher, and Cornerback

Valuing a kick returner entirely to much in my opinion when the value of a kick and punt returner has significantly  decreased do to the new rule changes regarding kickoffs, we have 4 on our roster that can do it right now

1.Palmer

2.Brazill

3.Hilton

4.Sambrano

Also Hilton clearly showed #2 WR capability 

I would be estatic to see us get DeAndre Hopkins (WR, Clemson) or Cordarrelle Patterson (WR, Tennessee) in Rd 1 -- if neither of them is available -- I think we go OL or DB.  I also like Justin Hunter (WR, Tenn. - we will see what happens with WR's, I think Hunter, if his health issues appear to be resolved, could be potentially worthy of a late Rd 1 if there is an unexpected rush early in round 1 on WR's).  Then there are some guys with some off-field troubles that if we don't snag a WR in Rd1, that I think could be good fits in Rd 3 or 4 - Cobi Hamilton (WR, Arkansas), Da'Rick Rodger (WR, Tennessee Tech -- if he shows he can be mature, the guy has potential to be a freakshow in the NFL), or Aaron Dobson (WR, Marshall).  Some late round draft picks that I think could be good NFL players with a couple years under their belt -- Tavarress King (WR, Georgia), Corey Fuller (WR, Va. Tech), and a number of others.

I think WR is our biggest current weakness, and something we need to address to help Luck out.  I think our TE's have potential to be the best TE combo in the league very shortly (Pagano says he thinks Allen will be the best TE in the league in the next few years, and I think Fleener is going to be able to cause serious mismatches up the middle if matched up on LB's this year), and I think our line is OK -- yes we could use improvements, but I think we'll be better than last year if we went into the season today and I think this year's draft is stocked with OL more than any other position (I think we can improve OG up to round 4, maybe even round 6 if some guys slide).

Reggie Wayne is a stud.  TY Hilton is a tremendous playmaker, and I think the west-coast style offense is going to be great for him -- however, I don't see him as a true #2 (at least not yet).  I think TY's speed is going to serve him better in the slot in this offense.  If somehow, Tavon Austin (WR, WVU) fell to us (I don't think he'll fall past 13th, though I've seen a few mocks with him coming down to 22-23), I think I'd be comfortable running Reggie outside as #1 and then devising packages to put Austin and Hilton switching between slot and outside #2.   However, I don't think Austin is going to fall to us and you notice the other WR's I mention above are all 6'0" or greater (I think King is 5'11"/6'0") -- and will be very beneficial to Luck to have another possession type WR on the outside (besides Hunter from TN, who if healthy can be a gamebreaker and pure down the sidelines threat, all the other WR's up there remind me a bit of Reggie and I think could be groomed very well to fill REggie's shoes in a few years).  I still would like to see us grab a cheaper WR in free-agency (Mohamed Massoquai, Ramses Barden, Josh Cribbs, Laurent Robison, Danario Alexander, are a few names that I think would improve our WR corps for very minimal cost).  I think Brazzill has potential, but don't think he's ready to be a #2 or #3 guy now (if we lined up with TY in the slot, Brazzill and Wayne outside, there is no question that Wayne we be double teamed and Brazzill I think can be handled fairly easily by a #2 cb on the other team -- with Allen/Fleener and TY in the middle of the field, I think we can still create mismatches, but I'd be more comfortable with someone other than Brazzill).  I think Griff Whalen is going to become a poor-man's Brandon Stokely -- that being said, I think there will be times when we can utilize 4-5 WR packages and Whalen can make some plays if he is matched up vs. a dime CB, safety, or LB.

I am pretty comfortable with our CB's - personally, I think depth at safety is a bigger concern -- Landry is coming off a great year but has been plagued by injury in the past, and hopefully Bethea can bounce back (as someone already pointed out, last year was his worst as a pro).  There are a few guys that will be available that I think have a lot of upside at safety in round 4, and possibly even round 6.  That being said, if there is a solid corner available in Round 4 - it may be better value to take him and wait for a safety.

I am not very concerned about OLB, though I think if a gem fell to us in round 1 or 2 we should jump on it.  I think Hughes will surprise a lot of people this year, and I think we gave Warden that big contract for a reason -- personally I am glad we got him over Kruger or some other FA's that people were buzzing about.  I am not sold on Sidbury as anything other than a 3rd down rusher, but I think he will at least be able to provide depth and competition.  I think our DL is going to be very solid -- I think Chapman, if he can stay healthy, will be our long-term solution at tackle, and I think we have enough depth/talent across the line that we are set here going into the season.

I think our RB's are solid (I wish Donnie Brown could stay healthy, as I think him and Ballard compliment eachother nicely).  I look for Ballard to make a big jump in year 2, and if he, along with Delone and Donnie can stay healthy, I think we have a very solid (not spectacular mix).  However, if he is still there in Rd 4, I would love to see us take a chance on Marcus Lattimore (RB, South Carolina).  I think Lattimore, though he's coming off 2 season-ending knee injuries (different knees), could be a stud in the NFL -- he was, IMO, the best RB in college ball before getting hurt -- I think he could be the next (maybe better version) Willis McGahee.

Another guy I wouldn't mind us taking a chance on in Rd 4 or later is the Honey Badger.

My dream for the rest of the off-season would go something like this: 

1) Sign one of those FA WR's for cheap (or trade for someone like Devone Bess)

2) Draft:

Rd 1 -- DeAndre Hopkins, WR Clemson or Cordarrelle Patterson WR, Tenn.

Rd 3 -- Brian Winters, OG Kent State, Barrett Jones, OG/C Alabama, Travis Frederick OG/C Wisconsin, or Brian Schwenke OG/C California

Rd 4 -- Marcus Lattimore RB S. Carolina, Chris Harper WR Kansas State, Cobi Hamilton WR Arkansas or Honey Badger DB LSU

Rd. 6 -- Earl Wolff, SS, NC State

Rd. 7 -- Quanterus Smtih, DE W.Kentucky or MIchael Buchanon DE Illinois

Were Wayne to go down - very little depth or experience.

And then there's that. We take for granted that Reggie will be on the field, because he always is and always has been. But if he missed a month, we're light -- very light -- at receiver. 

I hope we pick defense in the first round. I know many say we don't need a DT/NT but we do in my opinion. For years we've picked up guys and they haven't really panned out. The guys we have now can be moved the the DE spots in the new 3/4. We need a space eater and hopefully Jenkins is around at 24. A CB would help or a OLB. We need to go defense this year sorry to say. Offense needs to get better in the redzone. That was our only problem last season was lack of production in the redzone.