Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pep Hamilton hired as OC [Merge]

Horseshoe

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know if Pep will be bringing his entire offensive philosophy from Stanford but if this is what is to come upon his arrival, i am very excited.  Things to note:

- Varied Formations

- Designed Roll Outs

- Timing Patterns

- Motion to keep Defenses Off Balanced

- Andrew Luck's attributes are the Star of the Show

And a lot of No-Huddle as well, right?

Silent Hill:

I understand your thought process, but we need to see if there are changes at QB coach, WR coach etc....we have experience there now....Clyde is actually a good veteran presence if he stays....just do not let him call the plays!  :funny:

I know you are a fan......I am confident this team will put major offensive numbers on the board....mark my word.  If a guy has not had a chance to call plays.......the other team does NOT know what a Colt team with Luck, TY,  Reggie and the boys are gonna run....I am excited.....I am ready to be 'surprised' by intricate and exciting play calling!!!  NEW STUFF!

van1973........I can run special teams tomorrow and defense....from a bar stool and on the field...:)

I'm nonplussed as well. I'll be even less impressed if he insists on sitting in the booth during games instead of being on the sidelines.

Any coach needs to be on the field unless on crutches etc.  Fat and lazy  :censored2: me off!   Insert Coyer!  

Some say the 'eye in the sky' works well.......not by this old LB!  That is what the photo-crew is for.....get your butt on the field in the trenches with the men!   :rawr:

Replay assistant challenged the tweet. Grigs and Pags weren't sitting on their butts, screened possible best prospects and interviewed them before Arians' leave. I think Grigs must have Pep's number on speed dial... just in case.

Tweet is upheld.

This is what concerns me - I can't see them asking for and getting interviews when the position wasn't open.  Arians was hired yesterday, and it was the last HC opening in the NFL.  And the Cardinals just fired an Arians clone basically - meaning, it would seem a more unlikely place for BA to land.  But if they did, and a guy like Hamilton has requests from Oregon, Va Tech, Jets - why would he fit in the Colts when there was no position open to be hired?  He had HC discussions going on.  I hope they were thorough, hope the interview process was done.  In this day and age for no other name, no other interview (any interview for that matter) to come up in the media is very odd to me.  I think Hamilton was it if Arians left.  Which troubles me. 

I think speculation is par for the course on a message board, don't you?

And I'm normally not dogmatic about where coordinators sit. A lot of people did a lot of moaning about Larry Coyer sitting up in the booth. It's not a huge deal; lots of coordinators sit upstairs. But I do think it's more effective to be on the sidelines than up in the booth, and I'd prefer it, personally. Probably a hundred times this season, Arians was there to look Luck in the face and talk to him as the offense came off the field. I think that's better than picking up a phone.

Fair enough....and who knows, maybe he will be on the sidelines. 

Personnel and execution are gonna write our offensive success story more than where Pep coaches from...and I like this hire.

Any coach needs to be on the field unless on crutches etc.  Fat and lazy  :censored2: me off!   Insert Coyer!  

Some say the 'eye in the sky' works well.......not by this old LB!  That is what the photo-crew is for.....get your butt on the field in the trenches with the men!   :rawr:

Ummmm ... okay???

Lots of coordinators sit in the booth, and do a good job from there. There's been a lot written in recent weeks about Jim Caldwell's impact on the Ravens' offense, and he calls plays from the booth. It's not my preference, and I hope Hamilton is on the sidelines, but I'm nowhere near as emotionally invested in it as you seem to be.

;)

Hum would have prefered a OC with NFL experience, but Stanford runs a pro sytle offese. The guy seems to be a hot canidate & has a relation with Luck, and there is no pro film on him. I will take a wait & see attiutude but not  all where in love with the BA hire either. I think Grigson moves thus far like him or not have worked for the best. I am sure Pags & Grigson had this hire in mind & talked to him before BA took the job honestly we all know he would be leaving & the team was prepared as indcated by the fast hire.

Ummmm ... okay???

Lots of coordinators sit in the booth, and do a good job from there. There's been a lot written in recent weeks about Jim Caldwell's impact on the Ravens' offense, and he calls plays from the booth. It's not my preference, and I hope Hamilton is on the sidelines, but I'm nowhere near as emotionally invested in it as you seem to be.

;)

I know Sup...my Pet Peeve!!  :)

Fair enough....and who knows, maybe he will be on the sidelines. 

Personnel and execution are gonna write our offensive success story more than where Pep coaches from...and I like this hire.

I agree with all that. I just have a preference.

I'm undecided on this hire, in case you couldn't tell. I think a lot of people are over the moon about it because he's familiar with Luck, but a lot of Stanford people are unimpressed with his performance as the coordinator. That doesn't necessarily mean that there's something wrong with him, but they are more in the know about him than I am.

I would have definitely preferred Whisenhunt, but if Hamilton works out, it's a long-term solution. I'm cautiously on board.

None of those(Pennington,Cutler,Grossman) had the talent level of Luck including Jay Cutler, sometimes its not the O Coordinator or HC even its the talent of the players themselves, there is a reason Cutler is not mentioned as a top QB in the league, he is easily rattled, Now I cant say much about Hamilton but I can tell you the Jets were 12th in the league in total offense in 2004-05, Also Pennington had 16 td's and only 9 picks, neither are great numbers I understand but its not like he ever had a huge year, same with Cutler, decent numbers but not numbers that ever would jump off the screen at ya under any coach....Take for example Ken Whisenhunt , some may consider him not the best OC in the world but yet he is a former Superbowl winning OC because he had the talent to succeed....yes I know the other side of the ball was the best in the league that year but he also had a middle of the pack offense, what it really comes down to is execution and the talent to execute

Hum would have prefered a OC with NFL experience, but Stanford runs a pro sytle offese. The guy seems to be a hot canidate & has a relation with Luck, and there is no pro film on him. I will take a wait & see attiutude but not  all where in love with the BA hire either. I think Grigson moves thus far like him or not have worked for the best. I am sure Pags & Grigson had this hire in mind & talked to him before BA took the job honestly we all know he would be leaving & the team was prepared as indcated by the fast hire.

Who doesn't like Grigson????

seinfeldribbon.jpg?h=182&w=250

This is what concerns me - I can't see them asking for and getting interviews when the position wasn't open.  Arians was hired yesterday, and it was the last HC opening in the NFL.  And the Cardinals just fired an Arians clone basically - meaning, it would seem a more unlikely place for BA to land.  But if they did, and a guy like Hamilton has requests from Oregon, Va Tech, Jets - why would he fit in the Colts when there was no position open to be hired?  He had HC discussions going on.  I hope they were thorough, hope the interview process was done.  In this day and age for no other name, no other interview (any interview for that matter) to come up in the media is very odd to me.  I think Hamilton was it if Arians left.  Which troubles me. 

I believe you are wrong Arians has been doing the world tour of interviews I believe he was interviewed by the time lapse of the hire. ;)

It's just my 2 cents, but after the season BA was a very popular prospects for teams, and he talked about accepting an HC job with Grigson/Pagano and even with Irsay as well. Maybe it is just a conspiracy theory, but they've just kept it confidential, and started browsing in background. Perhaps they didn1t wanted media attention remember last year even Irsay's private plane was under close attendance) or just thought it is easier haggle over with a prospect as if they weren't in real need. I personally wouldn't be surprised if Pep's interview happened earlier than BA's in AZ.

As I said just my 2 cents...Grigs is more sound than hiring an OC via phone.

I wasn't happy upon hes hire, like him alot better know, but 1 year doesn't make a great GM yet. :disco:

Wait, wait, wait.......I thought we lived in a 'what have you done for me lately' kinda world.

That would make him a great GM today. HOF in fact.     :)

I would not say bad hire until I see the product in September. Look, remember last offseason? Much of this forum at times ranted about Irsay being silly and having a rookie QB/GM/HC and how we were doomed for a painful rebuilding process.

Well here we are.....heck the Colts even exceeded my expectations, I had them at 9-7. And yes like much of this was attributed to Manning in the past and deservedly so I do think Luck was a huge factor in us winning so many close games as well in the clutch.

I love the job Arians did but more as a HC and leader filling in for Pagano and inspiring a young team more then I did his actual play calling (so maybe I have been too tough on him as the future HC of the Cardinals). Some of his play calling down right almost got Luck killed at times and helped him pad his interception stats. Yes our o line was not good, but sometimes Arians did not help the cause either. I sometimes did love the big plays at times but it was so boom or bust and the bust parts put us in some holes in games.

I also was not into having an old OC either. I love Tom Moore but those days are over.....and going after big names is not always the best move either sometimes.

I am willing to give Pep a chance and give them the benefit of the doubt here after last offseason with nearly everything working out.

I am sure Andrew is happy with the hire.

Grigson is a scout first and foremost. He admits he LOVES to look at players from everywhere and keep very up to date. I have no doubt he knows the offenses and defenses teams run and what he thinks of those as well, so it's entirely possible he became familiar with Hamilton's offense and what it looks like and how the talent here fits. I don't think he came into the hunt looking at who everyone else was interviewing, much like he did last year with the coach search. Most of the names weren't the big names, well sought after guys. Until I have reason not to, I trust Grigson.

Well, all I can say is let's see what happens.

Let's hope he's the best hire for the Colts. I hope they prove me wrong, because I'm not sure that this was a good hire. 

Now, I give you permission to thrash me for saying Hamilton shouldn't be hired. 

well you were right, when luck and fleener was there, they were the offense. actually if im not mistaken their avg points a game went down by two TD's after luck and fleener left. might be wrong, but i think that is right.

We are a very young offense. I just figure it would be good to bring in a young mind for a young offense.

Stanford did lose a lot of really good offensive players because of the draft. I think that was why the offense for Stanford slowed down last year.

Brad Wells (BBS) ‏@StampedeBlue @jetwhispers

says Pep Hamilton is Colts new OC. He was a target of the Jets as well. Working to confirm. Sending drones from mom's basement.

Dan Leberfeld ‏@jetswhispers

Pep Hamilton to the Colts. Perfect spot for him. He wasn't the best fit for Jets.

You mean we might even tear him away from the Jets? j/k

I am fine with it right now, might help Luck play up to all his strengths too which he certainly has a lot of.

I just don't want Luck to be the next Flacco (before they opened up the playbook and let Flacco throw vertical chunk plays all sprinkled throughout the game)

If we can scrape together a formidable offensive line over the offseason this may eventually look like a great hire.  Luck had a strong offensive line and running game to lean on at Stanford but no receivers during his senior year.  If he gets a solid oline and a running game in Indy, we've got the receivers for Luck and Pep to do some very special things with.   Grigs hasn't let us down so far so I'm going to give him a vote of confidence with this hire.  We've got an extremely happy franchise qb now and not one moping over Arians moving on.  That has to count for something.

Since Pep has history running a similar offense as Harbaugh and Greg Roman, now with the Niners, I think that it would make sense to look at Alex Smith's numbers to see how he faired in this offense. (Kaepernick runs some spread read, so he isn't the best comparison from the Niners).

2011:16 Games- 273 of 445 61.3% Comp 61.3Comp.% 3,144 Yards 7.07YPA 17TDs 5INTs 90.7% Rating

2012:10 Games- 153 of 218 70.2% Comp 70.2Comp.% 1,737 Yards 7.97YPA 13TDS 5INTs 104.1% Rating

Alex Smith is not known for pushig the ball downfield. He is relatively safe and prefers to check down rather than throw the ball into tight windows. I think that Luck will greatly improve his completion percentage this year, will have a much better quarterback rating, and will throw for about the same amount of yardage, over 4,000 yards.

I'm not going through six pages, so if this was already posted...deal with it...

I thought this was funny about Pep at Stanford, from CBS Sportsline:

"In 2010, he was the receivers coach before he was moved to the offensive coordinator spot for the past two seasons -- his official title, no joke, was the Andrew Luck Director of Offense."

"In 2010, he was the receivers coach before he was moved to the offensive coordinator spot for the past two seasons -- his official title, no joke, was the Andrew Luck Director of Offense."

I know, that always gets me too. lmao

Hey maybe it is meant to be. I am often all about destiny.

I really hate to burst everyone's bubble, but.....

Pep Hamilton did not call the plays for Stanford full time, ever. (Shaw calls the plays for Stanford)

Pep Hamilton did not draw up the game plan for Stanford, ever. (He was part of a 3 man group headed by Shaw to draw up the game plan on a weekly basis)

Pep Hamilton possibly last called his own plays more than a decade ago. (Hamilton University, HC could have been calling plays, unknown)

I was possibly the most optimistic person on this forum going into last year, and for me to do a complete 180 like this should say something. I don't like a team full of sophomore players, learning an offensive system where the coordinator doesn't even know it, and the head coach, was a former defensive coordinator, so he can't even help with the offensive play calling. Everything that us fans can see from the outside looks grim. I REALLY hope that the front office see's something I don't here or we are setting ourselves up for failure.

Silent Hill...

Can you tell me/us where you got this view of Hamilton??    Is there a link to some story you can point to?     Because many of your views are incorrect.

-- Hamilton did call the plays for Stanford.   Yes, Shaw had over-ride power, but that's not a surprise or a knock on Hamilton.

-- Yes, Hamilton did draw up the offensive game plan.   Yes, part of a multi-headed team, where others had input,  but Hamilton was the lead guy.

I have concerns about Hamilton,  but I think your information here is incorrect.

I'm not a fan of this hire.  He doesn't have any pro coaching experience and I don't want to see us run a simplified, college-style offense.  Keep Luck progressing with making pro reads and pro plays in a pro system.  I'm hoping he proves me wrong though.

I assume you meant to say....   he doesn't have any pro OC experience??    Because he's got lots of pro coaching experience...  6 of 7 years in the NFL.   Just as a position coach, mostly QB...   not as an OC.    This would be his first NFL OC job.

He's been Stanford's OC for two years.

So,  am I correct?   That's what you meant to say?    Just double checking....

Hamilton said good footwork was essential in his offense and Luck has great footwork.  Bill Walsh said Montana's footwork was what he first noticed about him.  I feel the same about Luck.  The first time I saw him I noticed how he kind of glided on the field.