Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I thought they attacked vaughn

oldunclemark

Yeah it was pretty clear they where attacking Vaughn. Was a great idea also as there was a high probability that Vaughn would give up the catch, big play or PI about 80-90% of the time he was targeted. Smart move to stay away from Vontae as he played exceptional early.

Definitely need a legit #2 and just as important a valid SS even though Lefeged IMO is far superior to Zbi, which is pretty terrible lol.

We have a lot of holes to fill, but at the same time a bright future. I do have faith in Grgson to bring in the right guys this offseason to improve the team as much as possible

Then Torrey Smith would have lit us up

No because we could have doubled him deep. I think we would have faired better with Vaughn, and Bethea doubling him vs. singling Vaughn on Boldin. I knew he was going to out muscle Vaughn, or Butler. Vontae is big enough not to be out muscled.

Then Torrey Smith would have lit us up

Boldin wasn't supposed to get deep like he did this afternoon. He's a slower possession type receiver... which tells you how horrible Vaughn had to be, to get beat deep consistently by such a slow receiver. Vontae was on the right receiver, IMO  

Vontae was shutting them down early, so they picked on Cassius. 

Cassius had a horrendous game. 

He did but that PI they called on him early on was bullocks. He beat the receiver to the spot and got flagged. I wonder if that may have caused him to play off like he was for the rest of the game? 

Vaughn probably has the worst awareness of a DB when the ball is in the air. Butler atleast knew where the ball was on the last Baltimore TD but Boldin made a great catch and held on with Butler fighting to knock it loose.

Honestly Vontae and Butler are the only guys who deserve a spot on this roster next season. I say that but im still not totally sold on Butler. He looked good at times this year but still has struggled at times as well. I think he could be a good nickel corner for us next year though if we can land a more talented player outside.

You "think" they attacked Vaughn?  You mean like every single team the second half of this season?  Vaughn is just plain awful.  I mean, worst player on the field.  I think Lacey may be a touch above Vaughn, although Vaughn has better size and is better in the run tackling category.  We HAVE to upgrade that position. 

They didnt throw at Vontae Davis much at all...largely Vaughn and Butler...

..but its hard to pick on the 'D'/..we held them to 24 points and the last seven were on a spectacular catch

You'd be right.  When he went out they went after Butler too.  This tells me that we just don't have a good number two corner yet.  We had two nickle guys trying to fill in at number two corner. 

Yeah it was pretty clear they where attacking Vaughn. Was a great idea also as there was a high probability that Vaughn would give up the catch, big play or PI about 80-90% of the time he was targeted. Smart move to stay away from Vontae as he played exceptional early.

You would think they give him help over the top and leave vontae on Davis island... but zib is as about exploitable as Vaughn is. Bottom line they both have to go

If you were an offensive coordinator wouldn't you attack Vaughn or Butler??      I sure would.     No matter how good, or not good those two are,  they are NOT Vonte Davis.    So, by default you attack the other two.

The other thing is....    we get very little pressure on the QB.    You can only expect the corners to be able to cover for so long.

You all saw how little time Luck had and how much pressure he was under on every pass.    I didn't see that with Flacco.

So,  if you can't pressure the QB, and one corner is far superior, the other corners are going to have long, long days.

I don't think these guys are as bad as you make them out to be.    I'm not saying they're quality starters...   but as I've said in other threads, I think both these guys can be on the team next year....   as #3 and 4 corners.    I hope we find a sold #2 in FA or the draft.

Yes Vaughn had a bad game we all know that, but he was slated as a Nickel back when he came over in the offseason.  We did not want him lining up against their 1st or second option.  He is a nickel corner.

Butler got beat on 1 play and he played it perfectly.  Boldin just made an amazing catch.  Dumping both of them would be just an ignorant move considering we are so thin at DB.  Remember Powers is on the IR and a zone cb not a press corner.  Butler, if he is with us next year will be leaps and bounds better than he was this season.  Heck we picked him up during the middle of the season and he really was just starting to understand the playbook in the end.

I fault Manusky and Pagano for not realizing that it was a mismatch from Jump after the first time he got beat.  At least Butlers Height would have givin Boldin/Flacco more problems.  Boldin was huge compared to Vaughn.

Yes Vaughn had a bad game we all know that, but he was slated as a Nickel back when he came over in the offseason. We did not want him lining up against their 1st or second option. He is a nickel corner.

Butler got beat on 1 play and he played it perfectly. Boldin just made an amazing catch. Dumping both of them would be just an ignorant move considering we are so thin at DB. Remember Powers is on the IR and a zone cb not a press corner. Butler, if he is with us next year will be leaps and bounds better than he was this season. Heck we picked him up during the middle of the season and he really was just starting to understand the playbook in the end.

I fault Manusky and Pagano for not realizing that it was a mismatch from Jump after the first time he got beat. At least Butlers Height would have givin Boldin/Flacco more problems. Boldin was huge compared to Vaughn.

Butler is smaller than Vaughn. I do agree with you though in that he played Boldin perfectly but just got out muscled for the ball. Vaughn just has *-poor fundamentals and technique. I don't see him ever really improving or getting better and definitely not a player I would invest time in.

I really hope Butler stays and is our nickel corner. He is someone that I would invest time in because I believe he can be a very good player especially with Pagano.

Butler is smaller than Vaughn. I do agree with you though in that he played Boldin perfectly but just got out muscled for the ball. Vaughn just has *-poor fundamentals and technique. I don't see him ever really improving or getting better and definitely not a player I would invest time in.

I really hope Butler stays and is our nickel corner. He is someone that I would invest time in because I believe he can be a very good player especially with Pagano.

Holy Moly he is!  I know its an inch but man Boldin made him look like mini me.  Regardless, I still think Butler will be the better of the two, he just needs the right coach.  Hopefully Pagano is it!