Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is it safe to say that busted coverage vs Jags cost us the division?

chad72

I mean, our AFC record is tied with the Texans, so if we had beaten the Jags without that busted coverage, our division record would be tied too.

They lost to the Vikes and Packers, we beat both of them. Both of us beat the Lions and they beat the Bears that we lost to. So, the common opponent tie-breaker goes to us, right?

I never would have dreamt that a busted coverage against Blaine Gabbert of all people would have cost us the division and a home playoff game. Oh well!!!

This team has outstanding COACHES. When we got the lead, did you see our CBs jumping routes ala Tracy Porter? Have you ever seen that consistently with Dungy's squad? COACHING levels are considerably better in this Grigson-Pagano era, IMO at least on the D and ST front.

How about Antoine Bethea missing that tackle on MJD, and MJD scampering for 80 something yards.

How about Andrew Luck throwing 3 interceptions in that Bears game.

How about the blocked punt against the Texans?

How about that fumble at the one yard line against the Texans?

The Colts have made a lot of mistakes this year, but nevertheless, they are in the playoffs and have a favorable matchup. Nothing to be mad about. Worry about next week, not Week 3.

Possibly, but you could argue that a lapse like that taught them a very important lesson that helped them improve in games to come. 

Well said.  One thing leads to another.  One loss could motivate the team to work harder the next week and get a win while a win could result in a team feeling complacent and not putting forth the same effort the following game

No Houston still has the better record, don't they

We are 11-5 and they are 12-4.

Again, I am playing the IFs but if we beat the Jags, we are both 12-4. We would get the division over Texans in this last game and I think I would be correct in stating that.

Overall, conference and division record would then be the same, and the tie-breaker would be common opponents where we are 3-1 vs NFC North, they are 2-2, and we would have won that tie-breaker. Never knew it would play out like that but just goes to show you that you never know how big a game early in the season could be, later for the standings.

You could also blame the Lions game.......vs. Houston.

Or Jags/Texans.

We came close. VERY close.

If we had a few home playoff games that would be amazing but this also puts less pressure on us.

Hey I will take it. 11-5 and knocking on the AFC South title again for next season. This team is fierce.

Also this team will be unreal sooner then later. We have the coach. We have the QB. We have young talent. We have money coming up to spend too.

We can beat Houston at home so at worst we split with them and they have aging stars.

We finally got what a lot of us wanted. We have the right coach to go with the right QB. As much as I liked Dungy I never was convinced at times that he was the kind of man who could win several SBs despite having Manning.

I feel Pagano could. He is aggressive enough....

No Houston still has the better record, don't they

Yes but it was by one game.  Had the Colts won that game over the Jags then they would have been tied on records.  I look at it this way we pulled a game out of the fire against the Lions we had no business winning so I think it evened out over the season.  We can look at the Texans game in Houston and say that cost us the division. 

We win the South next year. We will be due for a new division winner or two. 2011 and 2012 saw all 4 division winners repeat. I can see Indy and Cincy winning their divisions next year. Broncos/Pats should hold serve as long as their QBs are still their QBs.

It's time for Dalton and Luck to start taking some control over the AFC.

I mean, our AFC record is tied with the Texans, so if we had beaten the Jags without that busted coverage, our division record would be tied too.

They lost to the Vikes and Packers, we beat both of them. Both of us beat the Lions and they beat the Bears that we lost to. So, the common opponent tie-breaker goes to us, right?

I never would have dreamt that a busted coverage against Blaine Gabbert of all people would have cost us the division and a home playoff game. Oh well!!!

This team has outstanding COACHES. When we got the lead, did you see our CBs jumping routes ala Tracy Porter? Have you ever seen that consistently with Dungy's squad? COACHING levels are considerably better in this Grigson-Pagano era, IMO at least on the D and ST front.

That's true, but at the time, most of us thought it would be the difference between 3-13 and 4-12.

Half time and in game adjustments are top notch. Dungys staff was solid but man, what a spectacular upgrade across the board from the JC era. Ive been particularly happy with the D coaches.

Sure home-field advantage can be invaluable, but I don't think there is a team I'd rather play in the playoffs than the Ravens. If we can win a hard fought game against them then that'll give us some massive confidence going into next round against Denver/Patriots (which ever we play, I'm not sure).

NO!

All we had to do was beat the Texans two weeks ago, the Chiefs last week, and the Texans again today.

We were in control of our own destiny, and even possibly a bye just three weeks ago. Everything that happened before that doesn't change the fact we didn't do what we had a chance to do after the fact.

It did, yet all the other mistakes cost us as well. We also didn't just back into these playoffs, or record. The whole, Colts had an easy schedule is dumb. Our record last year only accounted for setting up games against two teams, the rest of the schedule was same as the Texans.

The tie breaker would be conference record which the Texans would win.

We are 11-5 and they are 12-4.

Again, I am playing the IFs but if we beat the Jags, we are both 12-4. We would get the division over Texans in this last game and I think I would be correct in stating that.

Overall, conference and division record would then be the same, and the tie-breaker would be common opponents where we are 3-1 vs NFC North, they are 2-2, and we would have won that tie-breaker. Never knew it would play out like that but just goes to show you that you never know how big a game early in the season could be, later for the standings.

Somehow you are giving the Texans an extra conference loss. You need to go no further than look at what you wrote. If we went 3-1 vs the NFC and they went 2-2 and we had the same record (12-4) , then they would have to have a better frecord in the AFC.

Somehow you are giving the Texans an extra conference loss. You need to go no further than look at what you wrote. If we went 3-1 vs the NFC and they went 2-2 and we had the same record (12-4) , then they would have to have a better frecord in the AFC.

Yep, you are right, and I overlooked that part!!! My bad, thanks for the correction!!! :)

We will get the AFC South next year after Schaub wets his big boy pants again!!! :)

Assuming the Colts loss to the Jags was a win.

HOU vs. (TEN & JAX 4-0)

IND vs. (TEN & JAX 4-0)

Hou vs. AFC E ( 3-1)
Ind vs. AFC E (2-2)

Hou vs. NFC N (2-2)

Ind vs. NFC N (3-1)

4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference. Houston would win this tiebreaker 10-2 vs. 9-3 based on the assumption.

Yep, you are right, and I overlooked that part!!! My bad, thanks for the correction!!! :)

We will get the AFC South next year after Schaub wets his big boy pants again!!! :)

Be hard to catch them talent wise as they are loaded , but the guy we have behind center is just so much more clutch than theirs. Kinda what you just said ... right ?

I posted in another thread that three mistakes cost us the division title and possibly the "1 seed.

The Jags 80 yard last minute TD was 1.

Two mistakes in the first Texans game possibly cost us a win there. The Moore fumble when we should have taken it in for a TD which would have added 7 points to our score and the Allen missed block on the blocked punt/TD that the Texans scored. Take that blocked punt/TD away and the Texans lose 7 points. The resulting 14 point change in the score gives us the win.

NO ITS NOT,you look back 2 weeks ago to the Texans game,i believe we gave that one away,poor exicution.Or the Patriots game,we gave it away as well,and got our booty kicked,IMO you cant point at 1 game,but my hats off to this team yesterday just showed the improvement all the way around,if we play that kind of football we can beat anyone.It was impressive.! :thmup: