Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Giving up our 2nd pick in next years draft

jblastick

has me really bummed out. I'm typically a "glass half-full" guy but when I think about what we gave up for Davis it really bothers me. Return has certainly not been there yet but hopefully Davis comes around. Hope the coaching staff can harness the talent this guy has to make him a major contributor to our defense. Our 2nd round pick is likely to fall somewhere in the 40th pick range. Lot of good players (with less baggage) will be available there.

BTM

You can look at it from multiple perspectives. Davis has the potential to be a top 5 CB in the league, especially with the coaching he will get from Pagano. Personally, I'm also not a fan of giving up early draft picks, but consider this: at 24, Davis can realistically be expected to play at least 10 more years. There will be players in next year's draft that are 24, so that's not a big deal. As well, will there be a player in the 2nd round that will be able to be a top 5 CB in the future? Chances are there won't as many of the top CB prospects available in the 2nd round, so we get a better CB in Davis than we could have gotten if we kept the pick.

Now, with that said and because it is important to consider all perspectives about an issue, one could counter what I just said with the following: there might not be a better CB available in the 2nd round, but will there be a better overall player available? Will there be a receiver who is a better receiver than Davis is a CB? With so many positions and roles on a football team, the answer to that question is more likely to be a yes than to the question in the first paragraph. It's all about how you look at it. Being an optimistic person, you'll probably lean towards the perspective in the first paragraph.

If Davis does end up being a top 5 CB in a year or two, then it will be more than worth it. Imagine having a guy like Revis or Haden on our team and having him only cost us a 2nd round pick!

Another point of view is that you have no idea how our second round pick will turn out, or where we'll be in the draft. It's a crap shoot at best. People are already complaining about our second round pick this year and it's not likely we'll be that high in the draft order again.

The Bronco's once traded an all pro RB for a CB. That CB is still playing while that RB is long forgotten. I'm not saying Davis is a Champ Bailey, but I am saying a good CB is worth a lot more than taking a chance on a 2nd round pick.

The more wins we have the better the trade will look. Davis has loads of talent and if the coaching staff can get him to play anywhere near his talent level it's a good trade. I personally don't believe we can get a player of Davis talent level and of course exp level. he is only 24 years old. I can understand that some fans will feel cheated if the pick ends up being one of the top ten picks in the 2nd rd. there could be a O-lineman, D-lineman or WR that they feel can help this team and there could be but, I don't feel that there is another player that will be available that can help this team more than Davis. He fills a position of grat need and is capable of being a top 5-10 CB. So lets hope the Colts can win 7-10 games and Davis gets comfortable with the system and becomes that top 5-10 CB and this trade will look real good. Hoping for the best. "GO COLTS"

There are a series of very good, very thoughtful, and, in my opinion, very accurate responses in this thread.

I too, would have preferred not to give up a 2nd. And I think if we had waited, we might've been able to talk Miami down. But, that's just my guess, I could be wrong.

But, it was determined that a known quantity, which is what Davis is, is worth a #2, even a high #2. And while I don't think he'll ever be a top-5 corner, I think he can be a top-15/20. And that's worth it to me.

We traded the possibility of talent for the reliability of someone the staff likes and feels like they can make even better. I trust this staff, I really do.

And, as someone who leads the charge on trading down in this years draft, I would not rule out the possibility of that happening and picking up more draft picks. We may go to the draft with 3 picks (1, 3, 4) but I doubt seriously we'll leave the draft with just that. I expect Grigson to wheel and deal and for Colts fans to be very happy with what we do.

Just my two cents....

Vontae Davis is way better than any 2nd round pick you will find in the draft.

Really??? because i have seen nothing that is worth a second round pick out of him yet. especially since assante Samuel was traded away for a 5th round pick. i mean there is a reason why the DOLPHINS gave him up.

There are a series of very good, very thoughtful, and, in my opinion, very accurate responses in this thread.

I too, would have preferred not to give up a 2nd. And I think if we had waited, we might've been able to talk Miami down. But, that's just my guess, I could be wrong.

But, it was determined that a known quantity, which is what Davis is, is worth a #2, even a high #2. And while I don't think he'll ever be a top-5 corner, I think he can be a top-15/20. And that's worth it to me.

We traded the possibility of talent for the reliability of someone the staff likes and feels like they can make even better. I trust this staff, I really do.

And, as someone who leads the charge on trading down in this years draft, I would not rule out the possibility of that happening and picking up more draft picks. We may go to the draft with 3 picks (1, 3, 4) but I doubt seriously we'll leave the draft with just that. I expect Grigson to wheel and deal and for Colts fans to be very happy with what we do.

Just my two cents....

thats the only reason i see why they traded the 2nd pick for davis away is because they plan on trading down in the first round with our high first rounder. im hoping we can still get Te'O to go next to Angerer. having two really good run stopping MLB's next to each other would improve our run defense that much more.

I mean if they really want to its possible if we got a high 1st rd pick we can trade our 1st rd pick for a team thats trying to get a QB (Geno Smith or Barkley) and we get their 1st and 2nd rd pick..? If thats possible

if we get a top 5 pick hopefully grigson is smart enough to trade it away for more then just a 1st and second round pick. more like 1st, 2nd in this years draft and 1st or 2nd and 3rd in 2014 draft. or along the lines of what the rams got from the skins for their pick or close to it.

if we get a top 5 pick hopefully grigson is smart enough to trade it away for more then just a 1st and second round pick. more like 1st, 2nd in this years draft and 1st or 2nd and 3rd in 2014 draft. or along the lines of what the rams got from the skins for their pick or close to it.

Yea that works too. lmao

Really??? because i have seen nothing that is worth a second round pick out of him yet. especially since assante Samuel was traded away for a 5th round pick. i mean there is a reason why the DOLPHINS gave him up.

Did Philly have any serious needs at cornerback to sit around asking someone for a 2nd round pick for Samuel who is not a young cornerback? If Samuel was 24 years old they probably would have. You are going back and forth about a 2nd round pick, but if we didn't do the deal we would have been stuck with the likes of Justin King as the starter. Have you seen any other 24 year old cornerbacks that were traded before or after Davis this year that compare to him? I can't think of any and I'm sure almost anyone who had the chance to do a deal like that would have had to give up a high draft pick.

I look at it this way odds are we would have used our first or second round pick on another starting corner in the draft anyways so all we did was trade for a guy who is a proven starter in this league. Davis has played very well when he's been healthy so I am still okay with this trade.

all depends on what is on the board and what we need. If say the best NT in the draft is there when we pick and you aren't crazy about another one you have to take the guy for example. It's too big of a need not too. However if it's say between a RB, QB, and a WR I could see the Colts moving back.

I'm actually happy we got Vontae Davis for the pick. He has PLENTY of playing left in his career. As said above, he has the potential to be a TOP 5 CB in the game. The way I am looking at it, we are not going to find an immediate impact player with such an upside as VD with a 2 round pick. With that 2nd round pick, we sured up our starting CB and maybe our CB's if we can resign Powers and sign a good nickel. If we had drafted a CB with the 2nd round pick or another position, we would be waiting for that player to come around on the field.

http://www.nfl.com/d...y-round-input:2

looking at this years second round. Only players making an impact on their team is Janoris Jenkins, Jerel Worthy, Alshon Jeffery, Upshaw, and Fleener.

I'll take a proven 24yr old top 20 cornerback already in his career for a 2nd round pick over that 5/32 ratio of finding a quality player in year one

Cordy Glenn, Johnathon Martin, and Stephen Hill said "hello".

Vontae Davis is way better than any 2nd round pick you will find in the draft.

I thought this when we made the move, even though I wasn't happy about giving up a top 10, 2nd round pick (almost always a starter in a year or two). Wanted to believe it and still do but I've not seen anything from Davis to prove his worth yet. Character issues aside, which I believe he's grown out of, he was benched in Miamah because of his play. I am holding out hope still.

I thought this when we made the move, even though I wasn't happy about giving up a top 10, 2nd round pick (almost always a starter in a year or two). Wanted to believe it and still do but I've not seen anything from Davis to prove his worth yet. Character issues aside, which I believe he's grown out of, he was benched in Miamah because of his play. I am holding out hope still.

you havent seen anything because he hasnt played much...wait till he's healthy.what is he? 24?

..and you are asuming we'll pick in the Top-10...

Look at the rest of the AFC............... I dont think that's going to happen...

I think we overvalue second round picks sometimes. Lets say we go 8-8, or 9-7 then we have pick 52 or something is that really going to be a hall of fame pick? Maybe. However it's always a gamble when you draft anyone, I think we see Davis as much safer with more reward then say Kyle Fuller or Logan Ryan. It could come back to bite us, but we needed a body this year.

I think we overvalue second round picks sometimes. Lets say we go 8-8, or 9-7 then we have pick 52 or something is that really going to be a hall of fame pick? Maybe. However it's always a gamble when you draft anyone, I think we see Davis as much safer with more reward then say Kyle Fuller or Logan Ryan. It could come back to bite us, but we needed a body this year.

Thank you, Corgi :thanks:

Yes, let's not undersell how valuable a second round pick can be. However, let's not undersell how badly we needed help at cornerback, and how valuable a young veteran with potential can be.

Agreed. Personally, I think the 2nd rounder for Davis was appropriate, given his talent level.

I definitely see the logic in the trade. I hate giving up a 2nd rnd pick in a rebuilding year as much as the next guy. But a potentially great player at a HUGE position of need, it was a justified move I think. Pagano will coach him up and i trust him to put Davis on the right track.

Miami got rid of Marshall to Chicago for later round picks. Davis had also been benched so they had nothing to lose by trading him. So I think the Colts could have negotiated a bit better but they were desperate for a CB. At least they didnt trade and give the Cowboys a second round pick.

I would say Davis hasnt been very good even when hes in the lineup. He defends by grabbing and technically could be called for pass inter or holding on nearly every play (and he does get called a lot). So yeah if he continues to suck then losing a 2nd rounder will definately hurt.