Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free Agency and the 2013 Draft

kansascolt

Yes its a long way away and unlike last year, I actually enjoy watching our colts play on sundays; win or lose, but what I'm wondering is where everyone stands as far as next years draft goes and free agency. Obviously Grigs is a huge player in the free agency field. So as fans what position(s) would you like to see addressed in free agency and which position(s) would you like to see addressed through the draft?

Given the fact that we only have a few picks in the draft, we're going to have to be active in free agency. And since we'll have so much cap space, it makes sense to do so, in a disciplined manner.

First, I'd like to see us re-sign Jerraud Powers, no question. Then, I'd like for us to sign at least one, and maybe two starting caliber offensive linemen.

Given the fact that we only have a few picks in the draft, we're going to have to be active in free agency. And since we'll have so much cap space, it makes sense to do so, in a disciplined manner.

First, I'd like to see us re-sign Jerraud Powers, no question. Then, I'd like for us to sign at least one, and maybe two starting caliber offensive linemen.

im not sure will resign powers, he's been getting beat too much and polian drafted him because oh his cover 2 skills not really a man cover cb. as far as free agency goes conner barwin olb will be available and so will rt vollmer. those guys would be huge additions to the team. in the draft we just get the best available defensive player on the board, we need with the entire defense.

i think the colts need to sign offensive lineman out of FA...

heres a list of guys id like to see the colts try to get.

Tackles:

Jake Long ( Miami will push hard of course, but wouldnt hurt to try to lure him to indy)

Jermon Bushrod

Ryan Clady

Chad Clifton

Guards:

Ryan Lilja

Brian Waters

Anthony Herrera

Defense

OLB

Shaun Philips

Corner

Resign Powers

Grimes

Michael Jenkins

Rogers-Cromartie

Then of course in the Draft get defensive players: most of these are guys id like to see us use our first pick on

Star Lotulelei, NT - from Utah

Matni Te'O MLB - Notre Dame

Gholston - DE from Michigan St.

Lester - SS from Bama

TJ Mcdonald - S out of USC

Nickell Robey - CB - USC

Carrington Byndom - CB - Texas

Barkevious Mingo - DE/OLB - LSU (this kid can play both on the line and standing up perfect for a 3-4 hybrid defense)

Eric Reid - Safety - LSU

Bjoern Werner - DE - FSU

JArvis Jones - OLB - UGA

im not sure will resign powers, he's been getting beat too much and polian drafted him because oh his cover 2 skills not really a man cover cb. as far as free agency goes conner barwin olb will be available and so will rt vollmer. those guys would be huge additions to the team. in the draft we just get the best available defensive player on the board, we need with the entire defense.

This is not a smart-alec question: Have you paid attention to Powers' play this season? He's much more than just a Cover 2 corner. He's thriving in this new system. He got beat on Sunday, but he's been a rock for most of the season.

Lardarius Webb got six years, $53 million. Terrell Thomas got four years, $28 million. I think somewhere in the middle would be fine for Powers: five years, $40 million, $8 million signing bonus. I'd front load a good amount of roster bonus and base salary into 2013 and 2014, since we'll have a ton of cap space. Then we'd maintain flexibility in the final three years of the deal.

Barwin will probably be a cap casualty in Houston, and I'd take him, but not for any significant amount of money. I don't think that position will be a particular need for us. I would assume that the Pats will keep Vollmer.

This is not a smart-alec question: Have you paid attention to Powers' play this season? He's much more than just a Cover 2 corner. He's thriving in this new system. He got beat on Sunday, but he's been a rock for most of the season.

Lardarius Webb got six years, $53 million. Terrell Thomas got four years, $28 million. I think somewhere in the middle would be fine for Powers: five years, $40 million, $8 million signing bonus. I'd front load a good amount of roster bonus and base salary into 2013 and 2014, since we'll have a ton of cap space. Then we'd maintain flexibility in the final three years of the deal.

Barwin will probably be a cap casualty in Houston, and I'd take him, but not for any significant amount of money. I don't think that position will be a particular need for us. I would assume that the Pats will keep Vollmer.

I also think having Davis on the other side of him is helping. NOTE I am not saying that accounts for ALL of the improvement with Powers. I think Powers is thriving in the new system as well. With that said I have always thought Powers is a high end number two corner in this league so having a true number one corner on the other side of him really helps Powers.

Now in fairness and the reason I know it's not all Davis Powers best game this season was the Packers game when Davis was out hurt.

However, I wouldn't freak out too much about a corner getting beat on a play (I know you aren't) because in today's NFL that is going to happen to ALL corners at some point.

As for the rest of the free agents I've said all along it's too early to see who all will be there because we just don't know who is going to be on the market and frankly what they are thinking they can do in the draft might impact free agency as well. For example if they think they have a pretty good chance at landing a NT during the draft they might not target one in free agency. With that said what happens in free agency might very well impact what happens during the draft too. I also wouldn't be shocked to see moves during the draft to try to get more picks IE maybe entertain trading back or something.

I also saw the NFL has a new rule for free agents:

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2012/10/16/3511394/nfl-free-agent-rule-change-tampering

Pretty much teams get a three day head start on trying to keep their own free agents but can't "officially" sign them till once true free agency starts. It will be interesting to see how that impacts free agency.

Lilja doesnt have the girth or strength to play in a Power Blocking scheme, when he was with the Colts we were running a Zone Blocking Scheme which is also what the Chiefs are running now

Eben Britten was drafted to play in the power blocking scheme over at Jax

Slauson or Britten or Leonard Davis (whos all have the size and girth and have been in a power blocking scheme there whole careers if they become Free Agents would be likely candidates

A couple scenarios I would look at that just came to mind

#1 looking to trade down if we finish inside the top ten in regards to the draft and drafting Barrett Jones or Chance Warmack at Guard while picking up William Beatty at RT who is in a power blocking scheme over with the Giants ran by Gilbride (Beatty was a key blocker in Browns success at Connecticut) and drafting a pass rusher in the 2nd (if we are able to pick up a 2nd after trading down)

#2 not trading down and drafting the best player available at a position of need such as Star or Jarvis Jones or Te'o and picking up Slauson or Davis in Free Agency to come in and at the very least compete for the Right Guard spot with Hicks if we still have him and drafting RT Hurst out of LSU in the 3rd and resigning Freeney to finish his career out as a Colt

Obviously there are a ton of possibilities but of the two scenarios I just named I would have to go with #1

I also think having Davis on the other side of him is helping. NOTE I am not saying that accounts for ALL of the improvement with Powers. I think Powers is thriving in the new system as well. With that said I have always thought Powers is a high end number two corner in this league so having a true number one corner on the other side of him really helps Powers.

Now in fairness and the reason I know it's not all Davis Powers best game this season was the Packers game when Davis was out hurt.

However, I wouldn't freak out too much about a corner getting beat on a play (I know you aren't) because in today's NFL that is going to happen to ALL corners at some point.

As for the rest of the free agents I've said all along it's too early to see who all will be there because we just don't know who is going to be on the market and frankly what they are thinking they can do in the draft might impact free agency as well. For example if they think they have a pretty good chance at landing a NT during the draft they might not target one in free agency. With that said what happens in free agency might very well impact what happens during the draft too. I also wouldn't be shocked to see moves during the draft to try to get more picks IE maybe entertain trading back or something.

I also saw the NFL has a new rule for free agents:

http://www.sbnation....hange-tampering

Pretty much teams get a three day head start on trying to keep their own free agents but can't "officially" sign them till once true free agency starts. It will be interesting to see how that impacts free agency.

That's very similar to the NBA, where players can't sign for a week or two, even after they've agreed to terms. So it's not just a "first to the table" kind of situation. Good change.

#1 looking to trade down if we finish inside the top ten in regards to the draft and drafting Barrett Jones or Chance Warmack at Guard while picking up William Beatty at RT who is in a power blocking scheme over with the Giants ran by Gilbride (Beatty was a key blocker in Browns success at Connecticut) and drafting a pass rusher in the 2nd (if we are able to pick up a 2nd after trading down)

#2 not trading down and drafting the best player available at a position of need such as Star or Jarvis Jones or Te'o and picking up Slauson or Davis in Free Agency to come in and at the very least compete for the Right Guard spot with Hicks if we still have him and drafting RT Hurst out of LSU in the 3rd and resigning Freeney to finish his career out as a Colt

Obviously there are a ton of possibilities but of the two scenarios I just named I would have to go with #1

I like #1 IF we can indeed get a 2nd rounder as well, but really number 2 wouldn't be so bad either. Number 1 sort of has that theme of get better quicker, while number 2 is slower, but could ultimately make us better than number 1. It's that never ending debate of: Do we go for the bigger upgrade or the bigger talent? Like I said I'm leaning towards a scenario like #1, but I don't know how I'll feel come draft time, and who even knows where we'll actually be drafting then?

Yes its a long way away and unlike last year, I actually enjoy watching our colts play on sundays; win or lose, but what I'm wondering is where everyone stands as far as next years draft goes and free agency. Obviously Grigs is a huge player in the free agency field. So as fans what position(s) would you like to see addressed in free agency and which position(s) would you like to see addressed through the draft?

Hey! Doesn't your avitar advise us on reverse mortgages? (Just askin')

im thinking we trade down...to me if Barwin is there he is a must sign if freeney leaves(which i believe will happen). texans have reed and drafter mercilus with their first so i can see it happening.

id go after kenny philips also if he is there and a T or G like you said...

a bonus would be glenn dorsey or someone to beef up the line

I'd be really happy with Chance Warmack or Luke Joeckel out of Texas A & M for our first. Warmack would just be a terrific investment for this team. I like that he got the Jerry Duncan award at Alabama and it just seems like he's one of those special players who could have a lengthy pro career.

However, I have a feeling that we won't draft O-line in the first round. It think Grigs has a mindset that he can find value in other places (free-agency, philadelphia) judging by this last offseason. Hopefully I'm wrong on that.

There will be some very solid receiver talent in this draft as well. Maybe we could snag Quinton Patton in a mid or later round depending on where his stock ends up.

Jairus Byrd and Michael Bennett should be realistic free agent targets for us.

Lilja doesnt have the girth or strength to play in a Power Blocking scheme, when he was with the Colts we were running a Zone Blocking Scheme which is also what the Chiefs are running now

Eben Britten was drafted to play in the power blocking scheme over at Jax

Slauson or Britten or Leonard Davis (whos all have the size and girth and have been in a power blocking scheme there whole careers if they become Free Agents would be likely candidates

A couple scenarios I would look at that just came to mind

Really like #1. I'm all for going "all offense" once again, because we still don't have enough talent around Luck. Really like Barrett Jones' versatility, kid can play RT as well. If Colts will sign Eben Britton (OG) and Mike Wallace (WR), draft Barrett Jones (C/OT/OG), Desmond Trufant (CB) and Ricky Wagner (OT), I will be a happy man.

Grigson is a Purdue guy. He'll target both Cliff Avril and Anthony Spencer, both are FA in 2013. Avril would play opposite Redding, and Spencer will replace Freeney who we need to just get rid of.

I'm also hoping we go after Jake Long to be our LT and move Costanzo to RT. Cut Justice. Duane Brown is also FA who I hope we at least pursue if we can't get Long. In the event we land both Long and Brown, with Costanzo we'd have one of the best young OL's in the AFC.

In the draft, I'm hoping we get either of the LSU beasts Mingo or Montgomery. I love Star and Hankins, but I think Josh Chapman can be our NT. Without his injury he should have been drafted in the second round.

Davis and Powers are fine at CB, Bethea is great...but, we need to cut Zibs. He just sucks.

Our linebackers will be one of the best groups next year with or without Spencer. I hope we get Anthony Spencer to play opposite Robert Mathis, and have both Angerer and Freeman playing the two inside spots. Conner and Foku add great depth.

Later in the draft or even FA, get some help at WR...just in case.

Given the cap space they will have, I'd start with signing an O-Line man and one of the big time FA WR -- (Cruz, Jennings, Wallace, Bowe). Those would be my 1st two areas addressed in the FA market. Once that's done, you can look at what to do with the rest of the money you have left over. I think they'll make a good effort to sign Powers as well.

In the draft, I'd love to see them get Te'o (ND homer here). Use this pick on a D player, unless a stud o-line guy happens to be there when they pick. It's way to early to say if they'll be picking top 5, 10 or where exactly. Depending on how high they are picking you might also want to look to trade down to get more picks next year and beyond.

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie makes sense since he is a good man to man cover guy. And Grigs knows him so he knows what he brings to the table.

Other than that, I trust Grigs on getting the right personnel. If you think about it, every guy Grigson has drafted this year has produced in some manner. Except for Fugger, Chapman (yet), and Harnish.

Grigson is a Purdue guy. He'll target both Cliff Avril and Anthony Spencer, both are FA in 2013. Avril would play opposite Redding, and Spencer will replace Freeney who we need to just get rid of.

I'm also hoping we go after Jake Long to be our LT and move Costanzo to RT. Cut Justice. Duane Brown is also FA who I hope we at least pursue if we can't get Long. In the event we land both Long and Brown, with Costanzo we'd have one of the best young OL's in the AFC.

In the draft, I'm hoping we get either of the LSU beasts Mingo or Montgomery. I love Star and Hankins, but I think Josh Chapman can be our NT. Without his injury he should have been drafted in the second round.

Davis and Powers are fine at CB, Bethea is great...but, we need to cut Zibs. He just sucks.

Our linebackers will be one of the best groups next year with or without Spencer. I hope we get Anthony Spencer to play opposite Robert Mathis, and have both Angerer and Freeman playing the two inside spots. Conner and Foku add great depth.

Later in the draft or even FA, get some help at WR...just in case.

yeah, i'm grigson will go after those guys because they happened to attend the university....makes complete sense.

and why would the colts cut justice? they guy is very well. and you might as well forget about long or brown...chances are slim and none of getting either of those guys.

Justice seems to have a lot of injury issues.. I wouldn't mind Welker (guy is a beast regardless of his age) or Bowe or Mike Wallace (Bowe is a big athletic target, Wallace's speed is just insane) and yes.. Defense needs to be addressed early in the draft.. Love the talent coming out this year.

Some guys that would be interesting and will be FA (or at least their contract is up this season but of course they can get tagged or resigned anyways) are Louis Vazquez G, SD. NT from 49ers, Glenn dorsey, DRC, Mike Jenkins, Carey Williams, Barwin, Spencer fromt he Cowboys, Kenny Phillips, Volmmer, Bushrod, Jaryius Bird, Wallace, Bowe, Gregg Jennings, Clady, Long, Unger (Center fort he seahawks and he is a rock), Goodson(Safety from 49ERS)

I think a G from Atlanta is a fA but cant remember his name

Duane Brown was signed htis offseason so he is not a posibility

I'd go Hard for any of the premiere OL but i honestly dont see they leaving Denver/Miami/Seattle so: Goodson, Vazquez, Vollmer.

then mid-interest: Mike Jenkins, Spencer, Cliff Avril, Bushrod, Phillips

I want a LG/RG from FA. I would then want to trade down from the first and take either best DE,CB or SS from draft. Then hopefully with the trade down we also pick up a 2nd Ed pick and we start collecting defense and a future RT if we don't believe our guy who keeps getting hurt isn't going to be the guy. I do not want to waste cap space on mike Wallace.

yeah, i'm grigson will go after those guys because they happened to attend the university....makes complete sense.

and why would the colts cut justice? they guy is very well. and you might as well forget about long or brown...chances are slim and none of getting either of those guys.

I know it's slim, but I just hope we get them. In the event we do, we can cut Justice. If we don't then keep Justice.

I'm pretty certain Grigson will improve the OL via free agency, not the draft. He will want to make sure he "hits" and not "misses" when it comes to protecting Andrew Luck. The draft is more of a gamble, and should be spent improving and adding depth to our defense. In reply to one of the previous posts above, I don't want to trade down...if we land in the 5-10 spots, we will have a shot to draft Mingo or Montgomery. To skip on that kinda talent would suck.

I trust Grigson when it comes to the OL, he was an OL himself. Costanzo in my opinion is the only keeper. Reitz sucks. Satele sucks. (yes he does, have you seen him create any push at the point of attack???) McGlynn is ok, but more of a backup. Justice is the same, solid but more of a backup in this league. Grigs will spend most of our cap room improving the OL. Which should be our main priority.

In my opinion, our defense is pretty darn good. We just need another year to learn the system. Redding, Nevis, Mathis, Angerer, Freeman, Foku, Conner, Bethea, Powers, and Davis are all keepers! If we are certain Chapman is our NT of the future then we are good there as well. We need another safety to replace Zibs, more talent at CB, and more depth at DE/DT and you can never have enough LB's.

We have so many needs still on this team that Grigson will be a very busy man this offseason. A few FA OL would be great to shore up the line faster. And go Defense in the draft. Im just hoping my Tennessee WR's stay another year in Justin Hunter and Patterson. I would love to have either but the colts need to focus on other positions this next draft. For how bad the Vols have been playing they have about 4 guys that could go in rounds 1-2. As you can tell im a Vols homer bad.

I'm pretty certain Grigson will improve the OL via free agency, not the draft. He will want to make sure he "hits" and not "misses" when it comes to protecting Andrew Luck. The draft is more of a gamble, and should be spent improving and adding depth to our defense. In reply to one of the previous posts above, I don't want to trade down...if we land in the 5-10 spots, we will have a shot to draft Mingo or Montgomery. To skip on that kinda talent would suck.

I trust Grigson when it comes to the OL, he was an OL himself. Costanzo in my opinion is the only keeper. Reitz sucks. Satele sucks. (yes he does, have you seen him create any push at the point of attack???) McGlynn is ok, but more of a backup. Justice is the same, solid but more of a backup in this league. Grigs will spend most of our cap room improving the OL. Which should be our main priority.

In my opinion, our defense is pretty darn good. We just need another year to learn the system. Redding, Nevis, Mathis, Angerer, Freeman, Foku, Conner, Bethea, Powers, and Davis are all keepers! If we are certain Chapman is our NT of the future then we are good there as well. We need another safety to replace Zibs, more talent at CB, and more depth at DE/DT and you can never have enough LB's.

I agree with you for the most part, but Im not sure I want either Mingo or Montgomery with our 1st round pick. If we are picking 5-10, I am hoping either Hankins or Lotulelei are there. If not, then Id be happy with a trade down to acquire an extra 2nd rounder in return. Then with the 1st round pick via trade down we could take a guy like Bjoern Werner, Chance Warmack, or John Jenkins. Then with our 2nd rounder get either SS Kenny Vacarro or SS Matt Elam.

I agree with you for the most part, but Im not sure I want either Mingo or Montgomery with our 1st round pick. If we are picking 5-10, I am hoping either Hankins or Lotulelei are there. If not, then Id be happy with a trade down to acquire an extra 2nd rounder in return. Then with the 1st round pick via trade down we could take a guy like Bjoern Werner, Chance Warmack, or John Jenkins. Then with our 2nd rounder get either SS Kenny Vacarro or SS Matt Elam.

I like both Hankins and Lotulelei but we don't need either if we think Josh Chapman is our NT of the future. Remember, had Chapman not gotten hurt he would have been drafted in the 2nd round. Mingo or Montogomery would add depth at LB, and either would be the eventual successor of Robert Mathis. I also am big on Bjoern. There are plenty of options I'd be happy with...as long as we go defense I think I'll be happy and trust Grigs.

I know many have thought Freeney will be gone after this season but I really doubt he is going to get a huge contract for next year and beyond. He is Older, not tearing it up this year and been hurt last 3 years in some fashion. I could see us keeping him at 4-5 mil/ for say 3 years to let him finish out his career. Cold put in some incentives as well in case he has a full season and plays up to his reputation of his past. Depends on if he feels like he will garner a bigger contract elsewhere and somewhere he feels like he can succeed and win.

I know many have thought Freeney will be gone after this season but I really doubt he is going to get a huge contract for next year and beyond. He is Older, not tearing it up this year and been hurt last 3 years in some fashion. I could see us keeping him at 4-5 mil/ for say 3 years to let him finish out his career. Cold put in some incentives as well in case he has a full season and plays up to his reputation of his past. Depends on if he feels like he will garner a bigger contract elsewhere and somewhere he feels like he can succeed and win.

Not a chance. He would never play for that big of a paycut. Not when he will get overpaid by some other team "cough, cough, the Patriots, cough"...

Plus, he is just old news. Get rid of him, all he is doing is filling up space on the field and against the cap.

Carrington Byndom - CB - Texas

As a Texas Longhorn Fan, I'll have to be Honest with you. Byndom is gonna either gonna be a Hit or Miss type of player depending what Defense he goes to. Coming from a Manny Diaz Defense, he'll have to get Drafted by a 3-4 Defense (Like Us) to be at his BEST. Now, he could prove me wrong & just be a Good player overall, & I hope he is... but that's just my View on him from watching him these past 2 years

Re-sign:

Powers (wouldn't want to give him more than $5 mil per year)

McAfee

Justice

Moala - for cheap

Avery - if he doesn't demand too high a contract

Other cheap backups/camp bodies (Linkenbach, Hickman, Fokou, Dixon, Shipley, Vaughn, etc)

Gone: Freeney, Collie, AJ

Free agents

DL (our weakest area imo)

Mike DeVito

Henry Melton

Desmond Bryant

Alan Branch

Ty Warren

Justin Bannan

Terrance Knighton

Corey Williams

Casey Hampton

Isaac Sopoaga

CB (one of these guys has to shake loose)

Bradley Fletcher

Mike Jenkins

Derek Cox

Sean Smith

Brice McCain

OG

Matt Slauson

Phil Loadholt (OT that should be an OG)

Chad Rinehart

Kraig Urbik

Brandon Moore

Antoine Caldwell

Leroy Harris

WR

Victor Cruz

Mike Wallace

^^^^^Both will be retained, but we can all dream right?

If we got 2 DLmen, 1 CB, and 1 Guard, I think we'd still be just fine Cap-wise.....

For the draft I'd be looking at a big SS that can match up in man coverage with big TEs, an interior pass rusher, MLB depth, OL depth.

Re-sign:

Powers (wouldn't want to give him more than $5 mil per year)

Not going to keep Powers for that amount, no way. Even mediocre corners get more than that, north of $6 million/year. I'd rather front load his contract with Year 1 and Year 2 money, and then keep flexibility in the last three years.

WR

Victor Cruz

Mike Wallace

^^^^^Both will be retained, but we can all dream right?

I'm not so sure Wallace stays with the Steelers. They already spent money on Antonio Brown, and they're in cap trouble already. They'll have some flexibility if they can move some money around, but that will increase their cash outlay for next season, and retaining Wallace will require a sizable signing bonus (probably north of $10 million). He might be a casualty.