Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free Agency and the 2013 Draft

kansascolt

Not going to keep Powers for that amount, no way. Even mediocre corners get more than that, north of $6 million/year. I'd rather front load his contract with Year 1 and Year 2 money, and then keep flexibility in the last three years.

I would consider Powers to be an extremely mediocre corner, a middle of the road #2. Jonathon Joseph, a top 5 Corner in the league, is playing a 5 year/48 mil contract. If Powers gets 5 years/40 mil, I think we overpayed on him. Teams do tend to overpay on corners, I just want to avoid what Polian was so adept at doing. 5 years/30 mil would be alright with me.

I think the 1st pick is going to Chance Warmack if he's there for our Pick. Looking at who will likely be Drafting before us (Saints, Panthers, Browns) I don't think a lineman is their BIGGEST Concern. So he may be available for our taking

nobody is going to draft a guard that high. decastro was the greatest thing since sliced bread and didn't go until the twenties.

I would consider Powers to be an extremely mediocre corner, a middle of the road #2. Jonathon Joseph, a top 5 Corner in the league, is playing a 5 year/48 mil contract. If Powers gets 5 years/40 mil, I think we overpayed on him. Teams do tend to overpay on corners, I just want to avoid what Polian was so adept at doing. 5 years/30 mil would be alright with me.

I think a little more highly of Powers than you do, and just a little lower of Joseph. No big. I think Powers will command close to the 5/40 that you mention, especially if he hits actual free agency. If we lock him in before free agency starts, maybe we could get a discount, but I'm pretty sure it will be higher than $5 million per.

I think we keep Powers but I wouldn't lock him up long term, He didnt cut it as a #1 and has yet to really show much as a #2 with any consistency, he just hasn't proven to be a starter, yes I know he will get his tackles, they will wind up in the 50's or 60's but a career average of 1.2 pass deflections per game, 6 picks in 4 years does not say starting Corner, I can name at least 5 possible Free Agents to be who are worth that type of money at Corner before Powers. I know some will say I have it out for Powers just like some say I have it our for Justice and Mcglynn but thats simply not the case, Powers just has the awareness and play making ability of a Nickel Corner, we will lock him up I am sure but lack of depth at Corner dictates that more then his ability. Look Powers has been decent for us nothing real good, He lacks starting Corner awareness in my opinion

I do not want to pay 10+ million/year on Wallace at all. If its speed we want, we already have it and Wallace is a bit of a head case over there. I'm mixed on spending big money on powers as well. First year he has played this many games (contract year) and he hasn't quite shut anyone down this year. Almost rather pick a player in te draft to develope as a man to man corner in first or a second round pick that would be acquired in a trade down and move on. Spend the savings for the trench guys from FA. powers fits the cover two style better. If we have learned anything, it should be to quit paying players who are good in another system and go get guys who fit your system.

na instead of wallace go get the LG Slauson/Britton/Vazquez, RT Volmmerr/Beaty/Bushrod for the same amount.

hopefully they get another DE or nickel Corner or S..i just hope GIrgsson uses the money wisely and not just make a splash for a big FA, way too many holes, a single star wont make this team a superbowl contender

Wallace is a realistic option, IMO. I don't think he stays in pittsburgh. He wanted a new, long term deal, and they gave it to Brown instead. They thumbed him in the eye. The only reason he ended his holdout is because 1) it wasn't going to get him anything after the Brown deal, and 2) he needed to make a good impression for free agency. He's worked with Arians in the past, we've got a great young QB, and he would automatically start here.

He's said in the past that he wasn't looking for a Fitzgerald-like deal, as it was reported during his holdout, and I believe him on that because the steelers couldn't have ever afforded that to begin with. His amazing speed also seems to fit perfectly what we're trying to build on offense. He would be our future #1 receiver, and worth a respectable deal, IMO.