Colts work out Cliff Harris

FightLikeSin

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought this excerpt from PFT back on August 26 was pretty funny:

"Harris will now be exposed to waivers, where cornerback-needy teams (cough . . . Colts . . . cough) will have a crack at him.  (Actually, the Colts have first dibs on every player waived, through the first three weeks of the regular season.)"

But we can't make any use of him on the field, if he's arrested off the field for such things.

I was a heavy advocate for NOT taking Janoris Jenkins for his off the field issues. But the difference is spending a 2nd round pick vs a low-cost waiver wire pickup. If he smokes weed while robbing a liquor store using a stolen Cadillac as his getaway car...it would be unfortunate, but the loss would be minimal since we didn't have anything invested in him. Which is why it would be a smart pickup.

I was a heavy advocate for NOT taking Janoris Jenkins for his off the field issues. But the difference is spending a 2nd round pick vs a low-cost waiver wire pickup. If he smokes weed while robbing a liquor store using a stolen Cadillac as his getaway car...it would be unfortunate, but the loss would be minimal since we didn't have anything invested in him. Which is why it would be a smart pickup.

Perhaps You are right, and his stats are impressive enough to give him a shot.

But we can't make any use of him on the field, if he's arrested off the field for such things.

They're kids. They do stupid things. The question is - do they mature and take the game seriously or do they self destruct? Everyone deserves a second chance.

All that being said, I don't think his off field baggage was the reason for being released. Apparently he just wasn't good enough to make the team. As someone wrote about him, you just don't make the team based on your talent. Everyone has talent in the NFL.

Perhaps You are right, and his stats are impressive enough to give him a shot.

Much like Vontaze Burfict around this time last year, Cliff Harris was a 1st round draft pick to many. Then character concerns set in. Could he be much worse than Justin King or Cassius Vaughn talent-wise? I'd give him a shot.

They're kids. They do stupid things. The question is - do they mature and take the game seriously or do they self destruct? Everyone deserves a second chance.

All that being said, I don't think his off field baggage was the reason for being released. Apparently he just wasn't good enough to make the team. As someone wrote about him, you just don't make the team based on your talent. Everyone has talent in the NFL.

Here's the quote with a little bit more quote :)

So what happened? PhiladelphiaEagles.com's Dave Spadaro has some thoughts:

Why didn't Harris make the cut here? At the top of the list is the idea that he didn't play well enough to beat out a talented group of cornerbacks, and it's hard to dispute that after watching practice every day and after three preseason games. Harris needs to add strength and he needs to refine his technique and he still needs to learn to approach the game as a professional. Talent alone doesn't get it done in this league. Every player has talent.

Spadaro adds that it didn't help that Harris missed OTAs because of the NCAA rules prohibiting players from working out with NFL teams until their college graduations. And while Harris showed well early in camp, he wasn't the same once he suffered an ankle injury.

and janoris jenkins is biting us in the behinds right now. 6 tackles 1 pass deflected and a INT against detroit in week 1. what did vontae davis do that we gave up a second round pick for? and according jeff fisher Jenkins has turned his act around and is focused on football. yeah we got fleener in the second round, but the colts were already in line to draft Allan also. so getting jenkins wouldnt have hurt.

and janoris jenkins is biting us in the behinds right now. 6 tackles 1 pass deflected and a INT against detroit in week 1. what did vontae davis do that we gave up a second round pick for? and according jeff fisher Jenkins has turned his act around and is focused on football. yeah we got fleener in the second round, but the colts were already in line to draft Allan also. so getting jenkins wouldnt have hurt.

Fleener put up 80+ yrds. Pretty good for a rookie tight end. I'm not complaining yet.

Hindsight... 'Nuff said...

We didn't know that Allen would be available to start the third. We went with the top rated players from our board. If you want to use hindsight for your argument, at least wait for them to play more than one game.

Let's not get to excited over his performance. Bears played prevent for nothing deep gave fleener a good amount of those yards

If by prevent you mean Tampa-2....yes. They were zone heavy but they didnt play actual cover-4 or cover-6 prevent defense until towards the end of the game.

Fleener also had several nice plays before the half.

is this a serious comment? You do realize that Vontae has been in Indianapolis for about 3 weeks right? By your logic, if we had traded for Nnamdi Asomuga, it would have been a waste as well? We all knew what Jenkins was capable of. However, the risk outweighed the reward and Grigson was pretty clear that he didn't want to use a draft pick on trouble makers. Not to mention that Jenkins is in St. Louis of all places and his fellow CB is Cortland Finnegan....yeah i'm not holding my breath on him staying out of trouble.

I'd like to nominate your post for biggest over-reaction of the year. I'm sure there will be none to top it.

"Andrew Luck didn't throw 50 TD's against the Bears! Horrible selection! Should have drafted RG3!" could come close to competing though.

You guys Fail to realize that this is just a FA signing if he does get Signed. Not like we wasted a pick on him. But Pagano isn't gonna sit back & allow no Troublemaker to keep making trouble when they arrive here in Indy. We're not a Undisciplined team like the Lions, Saints, Cowboys, etc. We don't have Off the field problems like that. But if he's determined to live the life of a Troublemaker, I'm sure Pagano & Grigson will GLADLY show him the door. Honestly, they may even walk him to the door themselves

They made those Picks due to Stafford making stupid throws. Anytime you let Finnegan pick you off, you're having a bad game *Shrugs*

I just watched that play again. I probably could have intercepted that throw...bad decision by Stafford. Jenkins basically stood still and caught the ball.

Exactly, idk what got into Stafford that game. And the passes he did complete to his WR's, sometimes, they had to make HUGE adjustments to get it. Stafford just became a trigger-happy QB that game. That's a game that the Lions should've lost, but the Rams couldn't finish

Hindsight... 'Nuff said...

We didn't know that Allen would be available to start the third. We went with the top rated players from our board. If you want to use hindsight for your argument, at least wait for them to play more than one game.

The cupboard was so bare on the TE, WR, and DB front that Grigson had to make an executive decision. DL, LB and OL - Grigson felt he made several moves to get folks signed up. We have to wait a few more games to find out if it is going to work once they are all engrained in the new systems. Plus, the issue here is Irsay and everyone else from top to bottom want us to embrace the fact that we are capable of making the playoffs while we know the reality that it is at least a year away, IMO.

I was on here campaigning for Cordy Glenn who now plays RT for the Bills and while the team is not good, their run game is stellar. But like I said, Grigson had to lean towards something and he leaned towards offense. He obviously had more faith in Olsen and Linkenbach than we did, plus did not anticipate Ijalana going down like he did.

not hard to change for a few months. the hard part for jenkins will be maintaining it

We are worried about signing a nickel corner over getting our quarterback killed? thats not good

he just signed two lineman. not that they're great, but what do you expect him to do at this point? not like he can grow anthony munoz in a petri dish

We're already jello.

Keep stirring Grigs!

If you keep stirring the Jello, it will never set up. I understand upgrading due to talent (potential) evaluation. But after a while (pretty soon now, IMO), we're going to have to coach-'em-up and let-'em-play.

Seems there is a lot of hand-wringing among the fan base. Maybe the Jello reference was toward those fans?

Fleener put up 80+ yrds. Pretty good for a rookie tight end. I'm not complaining yet.

I thought this was significant because we had two WRs out and Allen was a blocker on many plays...

This suggests that Fleener can do that every game......

We seems to start a little slow off the line

But if he can get of the line, he's an impossible guy to cover on short and mid-range passes,,too fast..too tall

If by prevent you mean Tampa-2....yes. They were zone heavy but they didnt play actual cover-4 or cover-6 prevent defense until towards the end of the game.

Fleener also had several nice plays before the half.

They did a bit before the end of the 1st half when we were running 2 minute offense.