Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why doesn't Pat Mcafee take over our field goal kicking? (merge)

kansascolt

Good kickers have looooong careers. I dont' think anything is being hurt by letting McAfee blast the kick offs and punts. Keeps AV's leg working a little longer while providing PMAC time and a coaching to improve. He will be good for us in the long run. I like how it's working now.

I think part of the reason also lies with not wanting to wear his leg out. He does kickoffs and punts, both of which require him to kick the ball as hard as he can. If we throw him into FG duty too, that's just more wear on his leg. Also, Vinatieri isn't a liability, so no need to change.

Seriously, just wondering why. I'm pretty sure he has more power than adam vinatieri in his leg. Is it an accuracy issue or is he just kind of waiting in the wings until Adam retires? If anyone has any info on this, clarification would be much appreciated.

I think the answer is as simple as Vinatieri is still a really good kicker.

Seriously, just wondering why. I'm pretty sure he has more power than adam vinatieri in his leg. Is it an accuracy issue or is he just kind of waiting in the wings until Adam retires? If anyone has any info on this, clarification would be much appreciated.

He's not as good as Adam and yes he has accuracy issues.

Say we are on the 45-50 yard line putting it in a 62-67yd FG on 4th down and forever and 4 seconds on the clock and we are down by 2 points. AV doesnt have the power for that distance i dont believe, so do we hailmary it or does Patty Mac come out and give it a try?

Say we are on the 45-50 yard line putting it in a 62-67yd FG on 4th down and forever and 4 seconds on the clock and we are down by 2 points. AV doesnt have the power for that distance i dont believe, so do we hailmary it or does Patty Mac come out and give it a try?

Depends on the field conditions, the wind and the temperature. I'm leaning hail mary, but could see us trying the long kick with either AV or McAfee. Problem with McAfee kicking is that he's the place holder. So now you're using a different kicker in a clutch situation and a different holder, and the likelihood of success is much less than just using AV.

Depends on the field conditions, the wind and the temperature. I'm leaning hail mary, but could see us trying the long kick with either AV or McAfee. Problem with McAfee kicking is that he's the place holder. So now you're using a different kicker in a clutch situation and a different holder, and the likelihood of success is much less than just using AV.

Yea, the other variables def weigh in. It seems like having another holder trained in practice with Pat kicking would have to be somthin they do in practice if they have any sense lol. And was just considerin the game to be at home so weather and field are non factors.

Yea, the other variables def weigh in. It seems like having another holder trained in practice with Pat kicking would have to be somthin they do in practice if they have any sense lol.

McAfee has handled some kicks during the preseason. I don't remember who was holding.

I know Pat Mac can kick around 70 yard FG's. I've seen him do it before a game, and there's stuff on youtube.

Maybe they want to keep his leg fresh, and/or it's consistency issues.

All I know is, the boy's got a heckuva leg!

Yes he does that's not the issue the issue is he has problem pitting it between the goal posts. if he can't do that all that great leg does is give the other team great field poistion.

Because Adam Vinateri is really, really good...

• 3 weeks later...

I'd rather Pat always being the punter. Guy has a strong leg, not so accurate, but that's what you need in a punter.

Right now Pat is second with a 52.5Y/P to New Orleans Thomas Morstead's 53.3Y/P. Has the the 6th longest punt with a 64 yarder.

Secretly I just wanted to give some neat stats.

With what Vinatieri has done for this team, and his career, it would be a shame to just sideline him and let Mcaffee kick these field goals. I personally would be upset and in an uproar if they did that. Show the man the respect he deserves. He still has it, so let him finish his career with the colts being an actively participating and contributing player and retire on his terms. He deserves that much.