Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Syracuse Head Coach Says Zaire Franklin is "Uncuttable"

krunk

While "Veteran's" like Goode on the defensive side and Grant/Slauson on the offensive side were signed with the picture painted that they'd likely start.....lets be honest, they were really brought in for a veteran voice in the film rooms....a 1 year deal tells us that much.

Franklin, just like every other rookie linebacker, wide receiver and offensive lineman has a wide open opportunity to earn a starting spot.

Lewis and Turay will rotate in and learn from Sheard, Simon and of course Robert Mathis before earning a starting role.

38 minutes ago, krunk said:

We shall see. I can't be too critical when it comes to a 7th rounder but I don't always come away pleased when watch him at MLB. I will wait till the preseason.

can he drop into coverage? need that from a cover 2 mlb

5 hours ago, theanarchist said:

can he drop into coverage? need that from a cover 2 mlb

yeah he has the speed but the coverage itself needs work amongst other things which I'm sure they feel they can clean up

4 hours ago, John Waylon said:

Ballard has cut bait on higher draft picks than this guy. 

Zach Banner took my order at McDonalds this morning. 

You mean after they served you your order, Zach Banner came and took it from you?

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, krunk said:

We shall see. I can't be too critical when it comes to a 7th rounder but I don't always come away pleased when watch him at MLB. I will wait till the preseason.

I hated and felt frustrated by Malik Jefferson's tape because you could see his physical and athletic potential but he would make the wrong reads so very often. Franklin seems like Jefferson on steroids in that respect. At some point watching his tape I started wondering if he's making the wrong reads on purpose. Time after time he would pick the wrong gap, chase the wrong man, take the wrong angle... I know it's a 7th round pick, but he looked extremely underwhelming for most of the two games I saw. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

I hated and felt frustrated by Malik Jefferson's tape because you could see his physical and athletic potential but he would make the wrong reads so very often. Franklin seems like Jefferson on steroids in that respect. At some point watching his tape I started wondering if he's making the wrong reads on purpose. Time after time he would pick the wrong gap, chase the wrong man, take the wrong angle... I know it's a 7th round pick, but he looked extremely underwhelming for most of the two games I saw. 

That's why I kept in other threads asking if he would be a better fit at Will?  Seems like he'd be a decent chase and tackle type guy who you could teach to be better in coverage.

7 minutes ago, krunk said:

That's why I kept in other threads asking if he would be a better fit at Will?  Seems like he'd be a decent chase and tackle type guy who you could teach to be better in coverage.

I'm not sure. Cutting down the decisions he has to make as much as possible would be beneficial for him, so will linebacker would probably be his best position... but even there I'm still not comfortable expecting anything from him really. I don't expect much from 7th rounders to begin with, but oh well... lets hope he's coachable and learns quickly... 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tvturner said:

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/zaire-franklin-syracuse-football-things-are-different-around-here

Not sure if this has been posted, but it's a great read if you have 5-10 minutes to spare

Great read.  Interesting tidbit in the article is that Clemson coach Dabo Sweeney came into the Cuse' locker room after the upset to congratulate the team and to tell Steve Ismael what a great player he thought he was and we wound up signing him as well. 

9 hours ago, Narcosys said:

"This guy is uncuttable! He can marry my daughter!"

Doesn't make it past the first round of cuts...

Statements like these always make me cringe when a guy is trying to make a roster because they put added pressure on Franklin & he's not being evaluated for his spousal qualifications. 

I wish the man luck. Reminds me of the same craziness coaches said about Tebow too & he's playing minor league baseball right now. 

21 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

While "Veteran's" like Goode on the defensive side and Grant/Slauson on the offensive side were signed with the picture painted that they'd likely start.....lets be honest, they were really brought in for a veteran voice in the film rooms....a 1 year deal tells us that much.

Franklin, just like every other rookie linebacker, wide receiver and offensive lineman has a wide open opportunity to earn a starting spot.

Lewis and Turay will rotate in and learn from Sheard, Simon and of course Robert Mathis before earning a starting role.

From what I've read on Slauson, I seriously doubt he will want to lose his job to a rookie. I'm looking forward to the competition on the right side of the line this year. Good stuff. The linebackers should also be fun to watch. Who'll step up and take it? Mathis is having a blast! You can see it in his interviews. Watch out for Bash back in a 4-3 where he's comfortable. 

• Like 1

I don't know how literal the coach meant that statement to be. I think what he was basically trying to say is that Zaire shouldn't just be written off like most 7th round picks. That's a fair statement too. Syracuse isn't just some random school either. They upset a Clemson team that was ranked #2 at the times. We also signed Steve Ishmael as an UDFA who went to the same school. There's something in these Syracuse kids. Something that makes it so you can't short sell them. Zaire may be a sleeper. We will see though. He's in the perfect place to succeed though.

• Like 4

Lets hope he makes it

Most 7th rounders dont (10% is my guess, OOPS, my GUESS was actually 16.7%  :) )  We have some stats guys .........

Expecting him to start this year is a significant reach

I hope he becomes an All-Pro......  but not bettng any of my cash on it

I truly doubt that CB is banking the teams future at LB on the 7th round

He is hoping that maybe one will rise above the others, and the "other" one is probably cut or PS

Tough to be a so-so rookie in the NFL

Cat in a room of rocking chairs.........

5 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Lets hope he makes it

Most 7th rounders dont (10% is my guess)  We have some stats guys .........

Expecting him to start this year is a significant reach

I hope he becomes an All-Pro......  but not bettng any of my cash on it

I truly doubt that CB is banking the teams future at LB on the 7th round

He is hoping that maybe one will rise above the others, and the "other" one is probably cut or PS

Tough to be a so-so rookie in the NFL

Cat in a room of rocking chairs.........

If this roster is a void of talent like most think don't be surprised if Franklin does make the roster.

It wouldn't surprise me if 9 out of the 11 drafted makes the roster.

• Like 1

Well, I stand corrected..... (again)

This chart tells which round a player is drafted and their being on a roster later

It doesnt say if the player started, or if they were effective, just that they were on a roster

Round  Year 1    Year 2    Year 3   Year 4  Year 5

1        99.7%    93.5%  83.9%   77.4%   71.0%

2       96.8%     96.1%  83.9%   74.2%   41.9%

3       96.9%     75.1%  62.5%   37.5%   18.8%

4       91.4%     74.3%  54.3%   34.3%   17.2%

5       81.1%     56.8%  37.8%   24.3%   16.2%

6        70.2%     57.5%  35.3%   20.9%   10.6%

7       58.3%     45.8%  31.3%   21.7%   16.7%

I used to have to review business for trends from massive spreadsheets  :(

After looking at this, some suprising facts 

1) 30% drop in year 5 between round 1 draftees and round 2

2) 20% drop in round 4 and 5 , after year 2

3) More 7th rounders are on a roster 5 years later than 5 and 6

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

If this roster is a void of talent like most think don't be surprised if Franklin does make the roster.

It wouldn't surprise me if 9 out of the 11 drafted makes the roster.

I hope he does make the roster and does great things for the Colts

We have many prospects (round 5 and on, and udfa) history says that at least half will not make it

some wont be at pro potential for a year or two

IMHO (very humble) ...... I think we need an additional vet or two (maybe 3) on this roster before camp

4 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I hope he does make the roster and does great things for the Colts

We have many prospects (round 5 and on, and udfa) history says that at least half will not make it

some wont be at pro potential for a year or two

IMHO (very humble) ...... I think we need an additional vet or two (maybe 3) on this roster before camp

I kind of seeing Ballard signing a couple of vets before camp myself.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

When it comes to this level everyone has physical talent. What separate the men from the boys is in between the ears. I'll take a smart, driven hard worker over a workout warrior any day

That is exactly why Ballard has picked team leaders and captains.

• Like 2

Would have liked to see a CB or S picked with that last choice. It would have made the Henry Anderson trade more meaningful, especially since there were a couple of pretty good secondary players who had dropped (Meeks, for ex.).  But I'm pulling for the kid. 7th round picks are a crap shoot; if he makes the PS, that's a success. 

3 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Well, I stand corrected..... (again)

This chart tells which round a player is drafted and their being on a roster later

It doesnt say if the player started, or if they were effective, just that they were on a roster

Round  Year 1    Year 2    Year 3   Year 4  Year 5

1        99.7%    93.5%  83.9%   77.4%   71.0%

2       96.8%     96.1%  83.9%   74.2%   41.9%

3       96.9%     75.1%  62.5%   37.5%   18.8%

4       91.4%     74.3%  54.3%   34.3%   17.2%

5       81.1%     56.8%  37.8%   24.3%   16.2%

6        70.2%     57.5%  35.3%   20.9%   10.6%

7       58.3%     45.8%  31.3%   21.7%   16.7%

I used to have to review business for trends from massive spreadsheets  :(

After looking at this, some suprising facts 

1) 30% drop in year 5 between round 1 draftees and round 2

2) 20% drop in round 4 and 5 , after year 2

3) More 7th rounders are on a roster 5 years later than 5 and 6

It's also may have something to do with 4 year contract as well

• Like 2

Just now, indyagent17 said:

It's also may have something to do with 4 year contract as well

Thats true, but this document was for any roster.

So, if you drafted a player and he was still on another teams roster he would be counted