Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ian Rapoport: Colts coaching search down to McDaniels or Vrabel

stitches

What I want in a head coach is a game manager and leader, How about we try for a Jeff Saturday ? I think former centers would make a fine coach, kinda like catchers make good managers in the MLB, they see it all, this is why was all for Toub..being a center in collage as well as ol and dl coach.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bleh...must say I am very disappointed.  Thought Ballard would do better.  I dont feel good about McDaniels and Vrabel is just another inexperienced defense oriented coach like Pagano was.  Coaching pool sucks this year. Holding on to Pagano for 2 years too long really hurt us. 

3 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Bleh...must say I am very disappointed.  Thought Ballard would do better.  I dont feel good about McDaniels and Vrabel is just another inexperienced defense oriented coach like Pagano was.  Coaching pool sucks this year. Holding on to Pagano for 2 years too long really hurt us. 

Who did you want?

6 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Stop the nonsense. For the past 6 years we all have been clamoring for an offense that took pressure off QB and poor line play/talent to enable a much more precise scheme that was quick developing to hide deficiencies and you are opposed? Besides this offense is HARD to stop by almost every team in the league and again you are opposed? :wall: Just stop the non-sense

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He was no doubt a fail in Denver but he was only 32. A lot can change in 8 years. People mature a lot throughout their 30's and learn a ton. Also he never had a QB like Luck in Denver either.

Yep, I'm 30, so just imagine if I got named the coach of the Colts, of course you wouldn't feel confident in me. It's very difficult to have all that pressure on you at such a young age and lead a team to a SB where you are making so many decisions. It was his very first time in that spot. He's now had a lot of experience as an OC and grown through experience instead of being thrown in the fire again. Sometimes you need to mature, and I think Josh McDaniels has done just that. His results in NE speak for themselves, and I look forward to him being the coach of the Colts.

1 minute ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Not Coltsman, but if we were gonna go defense I'd so much rather go after Wilks. Just like Vrabel he's seen to be a good leader/teacher but he's also by all accounts a really intelligent guy.

Yeah I am just wondering who other people want. In our Poll McDaniels ran away with it. I wanted either Nagy or McDaniels because both are young and both have Great Offensive minds. I think Luck would benefit from guys like that.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yep, I'm 30, so just imagine if I got named the coach of the Colts, of course you wouldn't feel confident in me. It's very difficult to have all that pressure on you at such a young age and lead a team to a SB where you are making so many decisions. It was his very first time in that spot. He's now had a lot of experience as an OC and grown through experience instead of being thrown in the fire again. Sometimes you need to mature, and I think Josh McDaniels has done just that. His results in NE speak for themselves, and I look forward to him being the coach of the Colts.

Yeah you seem pretty mature and 30 isn't a baby by no means but when you get into your 40's you will see what I am talking about. Your wisdom will be x5.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I am just wondering who other people want. In our Poll McDaniels ran away with it. I wanted either Nagy or McDaniels because both are young and both have Great Offensive minds. I think Luck would benefit from guys like that.

Yeah I'm with you on who I want/wanted. Top choices were 1a. McDaniels 1b. Nagy and 2. Wilks

13 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Colts really missed out on hue Jackson, chip Kelly and mike Mularkey.

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Who did you want?

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Who did you want?

There really isn’t any one this year. We messed up by waiting too long to move on a new coach.  Would have liked for Frank Reich, Shurmer and Patricia to at least have been interviewed.

1 minute ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Kyle Shanahan and Sean McVay would have both been better than the Colts 2 finalists. 

McDaniels is the just flavor of the moment. Nothing in his resume warrants the hype. 

Nothing? Like... literally nothing? 

Just now, Coltsman1788 said:

Kyle Shanahan and Sean McVay would have both been better than the Colts 2 finalists. 

McDaniels is the just flavor of the moment. Nothing in his resume warrants the hype. 

How did McVay and shanahan have better resumes?

3 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

McDaniels is just the flavor of the moment. Nothing in his resume warrants the hype. 

Supposedly Josh could've had the 49ers job last year but didn't want it.

2 minutes ago, BOTT said:

How did McVay and shanahan have better resumes?

They didn’t fall flat on their faces at Denver for one.  They both ended up being successful in their first year as head coaches.  I know hindsight is 20/20.  But the point is we didn’t ever have a chance at either because Irsay was infatuated with Pagano for too long.  

4 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

They didn’t fall flat on their faces at Denver for one.  They both ended up being successful in their first year as head coaches.  I know hindsight is 20/20.  But the point is we didn’t ever have a chance at either because Irsay was infatuated with Pagano for too long.  

I don't get too worked up about the coaching hire.  I'm not going to pretend I have a clue who will be a successful NFL coach.  And judging from history, most general managers don't either.

Two points.  First of all, I don't recall ever hearing Ballard say that Toub was his guy at anytime.  It seems that was a rumor floated last offseason once Ballard was hired.  Is there any evidence Ballard wanted Toub other than speculation?

Secondly, remember that Belichick had a similar experience to McDaniels when he was coach of the Browns.  He didn't make too many friends when he cut the beloved Bernie Kosar.  They showed improvement but the last year didn't do very well.  He had just an incredible staff.   So McDaniels shouldn't be crucified too much for his Bronco decisions. He should have never had power over personnel.  But as a coach, his offenses always amaze me.  They will run the ball 40 times one week and the next week run 4 times.  They will feature Dion Lewis one week and then James White the next.  They completely change their makeup depending on who they play.  And that is a far cry from what the Colts have been doing, which is line up and do the same thing with the same lineup no matter who we play.  So McDaniels could be very good.  I don't agree with the person who says Mike McCoy should be OC. 

Just now, BOTT said:

I don't get too worked up about the coaching hire.  I'm not going to pretend I have a clue who will be a successful NFL coach.  And judging from past history, most general managers don't either.

Yeah it is what it is. I will at least give the new coach a chance. I’m just not that optimistic about it all right now.  Maybe if we bring in some good coordinators I will start to feel better about things. 

25 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm the same age as McDaniels was when he was hired in Denver, no way I could handle that stress. My biggest professional accomplishment to date is running a television station, and after 5 years of that stress I moved to another tv station that I'm not in charge of...so much happier now. At 40 though, I"m fairly confident I could tackle that challenge again.

8 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

Two points.  First of all, I don't recall ever hearing Ballard say that Toub was his guy at anytime.  It seems that was a rumor floated last offseason once Ballard was hired.  Is there any evidence Ballard wanted Toub other than speculation?

Secondly, remember that Belichick had a similar experience to McDaniels when he was coach of the Browns.  He didn't make too many friends when he cut the beloved Bernie Kosar.  They showed improvement but the last year didn't do very well.  He had just an incredible staff.   So McDaniels shouldn't be crucified too much for his Bronco decisions. He should have never had power over personnel.  But as a coach, his offenses always amaze me.  They will run the ball 40 times one week and the next week run 4 times.  They will feature Dion Lewis one week and then James White the next.  They completely change their makeup depending on who they play.  And that is a far cry from what the Colts have been doing, which is line up and do the same thing with the same lineup no matter who we play.  So McDaniels could be very good.  I don't agree with the person who says Mike McCoy should be OC. 

Good post. Hope you end up being right. 

15 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Shannahan left that up to his Dad

39 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

McDaniels is just the flavor of the moment. Nothing in his resume warrants the hype. 

Except for running one of the best offenses in the league? No big deal.

1 hour ago, deedub75 said:

I’m not saying this will happen but what if the Patriots win the Super Bowl and Belichick calls it quits. The Colts have been waiting for the Patriots playoff run to end so they can sign McDaniels and he then gets promoted to HC. That would be something. 

Yeah. I believe McDaniels to the Colts is not for certain by any means