Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stitches

Ian Rapoport: Colts coaching search down to McDaniels or Vrabel

2 minutes ago, Indeee said:

HC: Josh

DC: Kris Richard

OC: Mike McCoy

ST: Toub

Is Kris Richard's contract up? If not, like Vrabel, we would have to offer him an Assistant HC title in addition to DC to make it a promotion.

Just now, csmopar said:

And if McDaniels chooses the Giants?

Pretty sure all the D guys are frontrunners for NY. And it really feels like we are McDaniels top choice 

I'm not a advocate or proponent of McDaniels by any means but I do think the longer this drags on, the higher the chances are it'll be him

Just now, Dr. T said:

Is Kris Richard's contract up? If not, like Vrabel, we would have to offer him an Assistant HC title in addition to DC to make it a promotion.

He was relieved of his duties as Seattle DC along with all their coordinators. 

Just now, Colts_Fan12 said:

Pretty sure all the D guys are frontrunners for NY. And it really feels like we are McDaniels top choice 

Yeah was just thinking that after I made that comment

The troll Brad Wells is the guy who first said this way back when, didn't believe it, but Luke Dunlevy while not super well known is pretty respectable. I don't think he'd just be spouting off lies.

Just now, csmopar said:

Yeah was just thinking that after I made that comment

I think Patricia goes there honestly if I had to guess.

4 minutes ago, Dr. T said:

I think Richard was let go. But as far as I know, Toub is still under contract with KC. Dont see him leaving unless its HC

5 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

The troll Brad Wells is the guy who first said this way back when, didn't believe it, but Luke Dunlevy while not super well known is pretty respectable. I don't think he'd just be spouting off lies.

Explains the no invite for Toub.

...and as a general hiring principle, I don't like it.  Just hire the best candidate, regardless of age.  The average run of NFL head coach is short anyway, even for the successful ones.  Dungy only spent 7 years here.  You could hire Pete Carroll or Arians tomorrow, and in terms of age, it wouldn't matter.

Would be ok with either I think MacDaniels would. Be great from the offense/ he will need a D.C. And I have always admired  Varbel! I like the shotenhimer oc idea! With all this Patriot stuff though it just feels a little DIRTY! :yuk:

1 minute ago, stitches said:

He (Kris Richards) was relieved of his duties as Seattle DC along with all their coordinators. 

If that's so, then Richards would be my top choice for DC. He's young, an aggressive play caller and helped manage the Legion of Boom. If he is chosen as DC, that might also mean that Minkah Fitzpatrick may be in play for the #3 draft pick. Can you imagine Fitz, Quincy and Hooker in the same backfield?!

Schotty was terrible as OC at Georgia, just throwing that out there. Not very impressive as OC with the Rams either.

If it ends up being Vrabel as HC and Schotty as OC, I think things will get ugly.

Just now, Fisticuffs111 said:

Schotty was terrible as OC at Georgia, just throwing that out there. 

If it ends up being Vrabel as HC and Schotty as OC...oof.

Talk about bottom of the barrel. 

35 minutes ago, Dr. T said:

Why can't we have both?

McDaniels: HC

Vrabel: Assistant HC and DC

AND keep Shotty for the OC

:rock:

Why Schottenheimer?

9 minutes ago, Dr. T said:

I like that

9 minutes ago, Dr. T said:

If McDaniel were hired as HC, I would be ok with Vrabel at DC/Asst. HC.and McCoy at OC.

Just now, BOTT said:

Why Schottenheimer?

He's good with quarterbacks and has rapport with Luck. Don't worry, McDaniels will be calling the plays.

If McDaniels gets it, I’ll TRY to give him a chance.  Who knows?  Maybe he’s grown and isn’t the jackwagon he was in Denver.  And maybe he wasn’t included in BB’s intricate cheating schemes, most of which we’ll never hear about.  And maybe he could have been successful in NE without all of BB’s cheating...wow, it’ll be hard to give him a chance...

4 minutes ago, GwinnettColt said:

If McDaniel were hired as HC, I would be ok with Vrabel at DC/Asst. HC.and McCoy at OC.

I doubt Vrabel would be leaving Houston unless it's for HC.

15 minutes ago, csmopar said:

And if McDaniels chooses the Giants?

Then we may be in bad shape or choose Vrabel, lol. Hopefully, if we are interested in McDaniels, there's already a mutual agreement for him to sign when the Pats lose or win the SB. I don't know if we can afford to lose him and wait that long as well.

2 minutes ago, Dr. T said:

If that's so, then Richards would be my top choice for DC. He's young, an aggressive play caller and helped manage the Legion of Boom. If he is chosen as DC, that might also mean that Minkah Fitzpatrick may be in play for the #3 draft pick. Can you imagine Fitz, Quincy and Hooker in the same backfield?!

lol heck yes and besides we are already getting our own little legion of boom going with hooker desir and hopefully a resigned Melvin 

47 minutes ago, Dr. T said:

Why can't we have both?

McDaniels: HC

Vrabel: Assistant HC and DC

AND keep Shotty for the OC

:rock:

30 minutes ago, stitches said:

HC: McDaniels

DC: Vrabel

OC: Schottenheimer

ST: Toub

Vrabel can't make a lateral move unless the Texans allow him to and I don't see them letting us poach their DC. Even elevating him to AHC doesn't make a difference in our ability to steal him. You're either a Head Coach or an Assistant Coach when it comes to that rule. Same thing with Toub.

Based on Ballards hire of a few ex seahawk execs and the positional players he has drafted, I think his ultimate goal/desire would be for Colts to intiate a cover 3 defense similar to seattles. I think having an offense like NE's and a defense like seattle would be hands down impressive if it could be obtained

3 minutes ago, Archer said:

If McDaniels gets it, I’ll TRY to give him a chance.  Who knows?  Maybe he’s grown and isn’t the jackwagon he was in Denver.  And maybe he wasn’t included in BB’s intricate cheating schemes, most of which we’ll never hear about.  And maybe he could have been successful in NE without all of BB’s cheating...wow, it’ll be hard to give him a chance...

If Belichick himself were hired as Colts HC, I guaranty you that Colts fans would forget about "cheating".

2 minutes ago, Shive said:

Vrabel can't make a lateral move unless the Texans allow him to and I don't see them letting us poach their DC. Even elevating him to AHC doesn't make a difference in our ability to steal him. You're either a Head Coach or an Assistant Coach when it comes to that rule. Same thing with Toub.

Not sure why you quoted me? I just meant you'd need a good DC with Vrabel as HC too. Wasn't talking about getting Vrabel as DC.

1 minute ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Not sure why you quoted me? I meant you'd need a good DC with Vrabel as HC too. Wasn't talking about Vrabel as DC.

Whoops! Got + happy. Lol. 

1 hour ago, crunked said:

So our choices are between a current Pats coach or a former Pat player.....It feels a little wrong lol

If you can’t beat em....hire em?

I could certainly live with McDaniels. I think McDaniels and a healthy Luck could be a deadly combo.  It'll be interesting to see who he hires as his coordinators

5 minutes ago, Shive said:

Thanks. Didn't know that. :Cry:

3 minutes ago, Shive said:

Could they just give him a special title like, I don't know, Lebeau had?

Regardless, I'm sure he's a genuine head coaching candidate.

12 minutes ago, Archer said:

That’s exactly how I feel.  Tough to want him but realize the likelihood of it happening.   

1 hour ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I don't really want our next HC's best trait to be "a leader of men." And that seems like his best trait by far. 

I don't know.  That seems like the FIRST qualification I'd look for with this team at this time.  

I don't think that was Chuck's strength at all.  I think he was well liked, but that's different.

15 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I doubt Vrabel would be leaving Houston unless it's for HC.

I don't think so, either.  He may be next in line if O'Brien goes at some point soon.

5 minutes ago, GhostofJohnnyU said:

I don't know.  That seems like the FIRST qualification I'd look for with this team at this time.  

I don't think that was Chuck's strength at all.  I think he was well liked, but that's different.

That's a fair response. I agree about the Chuck comment.

Vrabel still just doesn't intrigue me at all. I don't see much upside to the actual strategic side of things, once it comes to gameplanning, on-field decisions, clock management.

16 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Based on Ballards hire of a few ex seahawk execs and the positional players he has drafted, I think his ultimate goal/desire would be for Colts to intiate a cover 3 defense similar to seattles. I think having an offense like NE's and a defense like seattle would be hands down impressive if it could be obtained

Would love McDaniels or Shurmur  as HC with Rishard as DC. Rishard helped coach up the legion of boom and with another talented piece at CB this team could move towards that level.