Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chudzinski or WR's ?

dw49

This is probably the 3rd year that you can say the following. For the most part , our WR's do not get open. This is an easy observation. Yeah TY has some big games and he often gets separation but IMO there is just too many times our QB has nowhere to go with the ball. The obvious question is it the scheme or the Wr's ? I think some of both ?

4 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Sometimes you just have to chalk it up to playing on the road against a VERY good defense. Look at how the Raiders struggled against Denver yesterday... the Broncos D made Oakland's offense look like a JV squad.

No doubt sometimes you have to just credit the other teams talent and scheme. But my observation is this is a weakness of the Colt teams of the past 2-3 years.

4 minutes ago, dw49 said:

No doubt sometimes you have to just credit the other teams talent and scheme. But my observation is this is a weakness of the Colt teams of the past 2-3 years.

I didn't really notice anyone struggling to get open last night. It seemed like there were plenty of plays to be made, but the OL was just flat out overwhelmed by Seattle's front. Communication was also an issue.

32 minutes ago, a06cc said:

From what I’m seeing and I’d hate to go Grigson, but we need another WR besides Ty. I’m also surprised we didn’t get penalized for that group celebration when DM scored. 

Group celebrations are now allowed. I am not 100% on what they were going for, could someone enlighten me?

It's a combination of both.

Chud's system has never really featured a WR2. It's a WR1 and the TE1 as the focal point. The problem is that the WR1 can be neutralized and the TE group isn't strong. Doyle is a solid TE, but he's not the field-stretching dynamic TE that Chud is accustomed to and has featured in his past offenses (Olsen, Cameron, Winslow, etc.). Having him be focal point of the offense results can move the chains, but it somewhat limits the offense.

I think Swoope's injury has hurt this offense more than people know. He was a perfect fit for the system...and there is nobody behind him with experience in this system. So the Colts are now relying on a in-line TE like Williams and an UDFA. And inexplicably, they are running 3-TE sets with that grouping.

The WRs are responsible as well...especially for their performance against AZ. But last night they got little help from the OL and playcalling. I think Moncrief was ready to have a big game, but Brissett wasn't really looking for him.

But to be fair, the WR group is devoid of talent. The fact that the Colts are relying on Kamar Aiken to be a key part of this offense...is a big miscalculation on Ballard's part.  As for why Aiken is getting more snaps and targets than Moncrief, I am not sure who that falls on...but it's dumb.

Regardless of a coaching change on offense (man I hope there is one), I imagine that Ballard will make the WR position a priority this upcoming offseason. Moncrief and Aiken will be gone...a rookie (or two) will be brought in, as well as established legit WR.

27 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

It's a combination of both.

Chud's system has never really featured a WR2. It's a WR1 and the TE1 as the focal point. The problem is that the WR1 can be neutralized and the TE group isn't strong. Doyle is a solid TE, but he's not the field-stretching dynamic TE that Chud is accustomed to and has featured in his past offenses (Olsen, Cameron, Winslow, etc.). Having him be focal point of the offense results can move the chains, but it somewhat limits the offense.

I think Swoope's injury has hurt this offense more than people know. He was a perfect fit for the system...and there is nobody behind him with experience in this system. So the Colts are now relying on a in-line TE like Williams and an UDFA. And inexplicably, they are running 3-TE sets with that grouping.

The WRs are responsible as well...especially for their performance against AZ. But last night they got little help from the OL and playcalling. I think Moncrief was ready to have a big game, but Brissett wasn't really looking for him.

But to be fair, the WR group is devoid of talent. The fact that the Colts are relying on Kamar Aiken to be a key part of this offense...is a big miscalculation on Ballard's part.  As for why Aiken is getting more snaps and targets than Moncrief, I am not sure who that falls on...but it's dumb.

Regardless of a coaching change on offense (man I hope there is one), I imagine that Ballard will make the WR position a priority this upcoming offseason. Moncrief and Aiken will be gone...a rookie (or two) will be brought in, as well as established legit WR.

Totally agree on Swoope. He had even slimmed down a hair and was said to be even a little more explosive.

Agree that this group is nothing special and the snaps Aiken is getting is testimony to this.

Good assessment on your part.

I don't think our receivers are used correctly game after game I say just throw it up to crief in the end zone he had a big TD up in green bay last year and one last night he can make plays in the red zone just like dorset I didn't think he was used correctly and he got shipped and I feel cried might be gone after this season as well which would be a major blow then we are down to TY and nobody

My two cents is Brisset seems a little preoccupied with Aiken.  When he went TY or Moncrief's way, those guys made plays for him.  Last night at least.  The floater into quadruple coverage to Williams was also simply not moving through reads.  That ball should never have been thrown.  And other than the one third down throw to Doyle which doinked off his shoulder pad, Doyle works to make plays, get open, catches the ball for him.  I think the issue so far is he may be fixated on Aiken.  Last night the targets to receptions I think were about where they should be - except Aiken who I don't think is making the most out of his opportunity with Rogers out.  One could argue TY, but he's the playmaker, the Colts have to try to get him the ball.  And he will draw the best cover guys, and schemes every week. 

On 10/2/2017 at 1:31 PM, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Sometimes you just have to chalk it up to playing on the road against a VERY good defense. Look at how the Raiders struggled against Denver yesterday... the Broncos D made Oakland's offense look like a JV squad.

Yeah and even the week before that Washington made Oakland's offense look absolutely atrocious.  

1 hour ago, Malakai432 said:

Yeah and even the week before that Washington made Oakland's offense look absolutely atrocious.  

Two pretty good defenses.

I feel like ty gets overpowered a lot and when he is open its because the db slipped or blew the coverage in another way.  

Also by the time he (or anyone) gets open for more than 6 yards the QB is usually running for his life.  

It might help too if we stopped handing off to Gore on every first down for a power run off the center guard gap (and usually some form of the same for 2nd down) getting stuffed for 1 or less yards and basically setting us up to have to pass.  So predictable.

So, I have to blame it on our coaches not putting our playmakers in position to win the play.... that goes for offense and that goes for defense.  Not trying to be a coach, just what I see.

39 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

Two pretty good defenses.

I feel like ty gets overpowered a lot and when he is open its because the db slipped or blew the coverage in another way.  

Also by the time he (or anyone) gets open for more than 6 yards the QB is usually running for his life.  

It might help too if we stopped handing off to Gore on every first down for a power run off the center guard gap (and usually some form of the same for 2nd down) getting stuffed for 1 or less yards and basically setting us up to have to pass.  So predictable.

So, I have to blame it on our coaches not putting our playmakers in position to win the play.... that goes for offense and that goes for defense.  Not trying to be a coach, just what I see.

Amen, I feel like good defensive coordinators salivate when preparing for the Colts O.  Luck presents a pretty big obstacle, TY and Gore may sometimes but that seems to be about it.  Without Luck, not so much at all.

On 10/2/2017 at 2:50 PM, lance_m8 said:

I don't think our receivers are used correctly game after game I say just throw it up to crief in the end zone he had a big TD up in green bay last year and one last night he can make plays in the red zone just like dorset I didn't think he was used correctly and he got shipped and I feel cried might be gone after this season as well which would be a major blow then we are down to TY and nobody

i dont think dorsett was used incorrectly, he just is what we saw

the patriots are getting about the same production out of him as we did.  one catch a game for decent yardage, but no consistency and tends to get hurt after he does make a play 

On 10/2/2017 at 2:04 PM, life long said:

Group celebrations are now allowed. I am not 100% on what they were going for, could someone enlighten me?

'The news was first reported by USA Today’s Tom Pelissero. Goodell informed the league’s owners — and the public — that players can now do a number of things they could not previously do without incurring penalties.'

'Among the allowed moves are group celebrations, the use of the football as a prop (as opposed to a simple spike), falling to the ground, and when applicable, making snow angels, according to Pelissero.'

'Things that are still banned include twerking (apparently), and gestures that can be deemed offensive (understandable).'

On 10/2/2017 at 3:23 PM, JTrouble said:

I believe I read somewhere (sbnation?) that it was a bank heist celebration...

It was, including the 'kicking the door shut'

coltsbank.0.gif

Among the allowed moves are group celebrations, the use of the football as a prop (as opposed to a simple spike), falling to the ground, and when applicable, making snow angels, according to Pelissero.

Things that are still banned include twerking (apparently), and gestures that can be deemed offensive (understandable).

Prolonged acts, miming weapons, offensive gestures, sexually suggestive stuff still expected to be banned. That includes twerking. Sorry, AB

— Tom Pelissero (@TomPelissero) May 23, 2017

11 hours ago, aaron11 said:

i dont think dorsett was used incorrectly, he just is what we saw

the patriots are getting about the same production out of him as we did.  one catch a game for decent yardage, but no consistency and tends to get hurt after he does make a play 

So moncrief is used efficiently?

He is a jumpball threat every snap he plays he could get a TD every trip to the red zone if we went to him on a backshoulder or just threw it up i miss our offense from a few years ago everything was down the field taking chances and where did we end up oh yeah in the AFCCG

10 hours ago, lance_m8 said:

So moncrief is used efficiently?

He is a jumpball threat every snap he plays he could get a TD every trip to the red zone if we went to him on a backshoulder or just threw it up i miss our offense from a few years ago everything was down the field taking chances and where did we end up oh yeah in the AFCCG

he disappears too, especially if a good corner is on him like in that afcccg. i was talking about dorsett though

people blamed the coaches for not using dorsett correctly, but then he goes to the team with the best coaches in the league and has about the same production as he did here

On 10/3/2017 at 5:51 PM, Malakai432 said:

Amen, I feel like good defensive coordinators salivate when preparing for the Colts O.  Luck presents a pretty big obstacle, TY and Gore may sometimes but that seems to be about it.  Without Luck, not so much at all.

I'm hoping Marlon Mack can add something to the O and be a threat. 

It is obviously the play calling!!!!  Just go back and watch play calling in the Peyton manning era. Quick slants, bubble screens stretch plays. We are asking our offensive lineman to hold their blocks too long. the receivers are running their routes to deep (except on 3rd down, when we need 8yrds for a first and they run 5yd routes).

Ok we get 20pts down, we start running no huddle faster/shorter routes and we look like a offensive. Heaven forbid we get a lead and we go back to predictable play calling. I suggest that 80% to 90% of our first down plays are hand it to Gore for 2-4yrds, 2nd down pass with QB doing 5 step drop and defense chasing him all around.

Play calling is predictable, ineffective and the major problem with Offensive line and why offense is struggling.

12 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

'The news was first reported by USA Today’s Tom Pelissero. Goodell informed the league’s owners — and the public — that players can now do a number of things they could not previously do without incurring penalties.'

'Among the allowed moves are group celebrations, the use of the football as a prop (as opposed to a simple spike), falling to the ground, and when applicable, making snow angels, according to Pelissero.'

'Things that are still banned include twerking (apparently), and gestures that can be deemed offensive (understandable).'

It was, including the 'kicking the door shut'

coltsbank.0.gif

Among the allowed moves are group celebrations, the use of the football as a prop (as opposed to a simple spike), falling to the ground, and when applicable, making snow angels, according to Pelissero.

Things that are still banned include twerking (apparently), and gestures that can be deemed offensive (understandable).

Prolonged acts, miming weapons, offensive gestures, sexually suggestive stuff still expected to be banned. That includes twerking. Sorry, AB

— Tom Pelissero (@TomPelissero) May 23, 2017

I wonder if just handing it to the ref is still legal?

TY is the real deal but still has a tendency to disappear in games at times.  I think Moncrief is really a number three WR that is playing as the number two.  The less I see of Aiken the better but Rodgers must have the worst hamstring pull in history.  Either way Rodgers is no higher than a good number three WR.  That’s the shame about Dorsett not working out.  Honestly had the Colts kept Fleener I think he would have off set this a little but that is water under the bridge now.

The play calling is odd too.  I don’t know how many times on third and one you see the Colts go out of shotgun then send the back out completely eliminating the run.  I don’t mind passing on third and short but at least make the other team think about the run.  

I also think they are too predictable they run up the gut in obvious running situations and then put themselves in 2nd and 3rd and Long too often.  I know they are playing with a backup QB but they played the whole 2nd half of the Browns game like they were trying to run out the clock and it nearly cost them.  

I am just not not a fan of this coaching staff and Chud is no exception.  However, he’s the third OC the Colts have had under Pagano and we are still complaining about the same things on offense as we were under Pep.  That tells me it’s not all the OC.