Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

This team is being disrespected

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, Superman said:

In his fifth season, Manning threw 19 interceptions, with an interception rate of 3.2%. In his fifth season, Luck threw 13 interceptions, with an interception rate of 2.4%.

If ball security is your basis for giving Luck any negative mark in comparison to Manning, that's not a good starting point. 

The two are different players with different styles. I understand they are inexorably linked, for better or worse, but the comparison really fails at the start. And as BOTT said, Manning had a great luxury in Tom Moore, compared to the 3 coordinators Luck has had so far.

I dont compare the two.  Never really have.

i also didnt consider Peyton elite early in his career.

luck is my QB, but he forces throws and you can tell he regrets some throws as soon as they leave his hand...... much like Peyton did.

he'll improve along with the team...... hopefully.

oh, and BALL SECURITY is the #1 important thing.  It ALWAYS has been in this game, for EVERY  QB and team.

1 hour ago, GoatBeard said:

Funny thing is that last off-season they were doing the same with Tennessee AND Jax especially after they got Ramsey and Jack.

Well guess what? Both teams were picking in the top ten AGAIN.

We don't need respect, we should actually want it this way.

The Titans finished a game ahead of us and picked 18th. They had the Rams first rounder from last year's Goff trade, which is why they picked at #5 this year. The Titans actually look like they're division contenders.

I get the general attitude from the national media. 

I will say that Houston isn't going to be so vastly improved this season. They will have a rookie from a spread offense or Tom Savage at QB... Maybe Watson makes them contenders in year 2 or 3, but not as a rookie, imo. Another year of great D and so-so offense for them, I'd say. 

1 hour ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Luck has done more than Peyton did at this point in their careers lol. He's the definition of elite.  Nobody could have done what Andrews done the last 5 years except maybe Rodgers.

Eh... that is pushing it... badly.  Peyton was a choker but he could truly do things that would leave you in awe.  

If I can see more of games like that KC game from Luck then I can start jumping on.  Until then I'm fine with Luck and his abilities I'm glad to have him :).

(as an aside) Imo also Manning had an even worse team than Luck had in his final 3 or 4 years with the Colts.  Grigson was bad but man the end of the Polian era was... really really awful. 

2 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

I dont compare the two.  Never really have.

i also didnt consider Peyton elite early in his career.

luck is my QB, but he forces throws and you can tell he regrets some throws as soon as they leave his hand...... much like Peyton did.

he'll improve along with the team...... hopefully.

oh, and BALL SECURITY is the #1 important thing.  It ALWAYS has been in this game, for EVERY  QB and team.

You said Luck has underachieved, which I think is the reason you're getting disagreement here. Me personally, I don't consider Luck to be elite right now, either, but I think he has the makings to be elite moving forward. We'll see how that goes. 

And you said you don't put him anywhere near Manning, and I think the assumption is we're talking about early Manning, not deadly assassin Manning from 2003 and on. 

Ball security is very important. But it's not uncommon for playmaking QBs to turn the ball over at a higher clip, especially when they're still relatively young. Big picture, I'm not concerned with Luck's turnovers. His turnover rate is fine (compared to anybody but Rodgers), and in 2013 when the focus was obviously reducing turnovers, he was in rare form.

He'll find his balance, but this is particularly where he misses out on having an OC that stresses efficiency. To be honest, playing in a Coryell offense with an interception rate below 3% is worthy of recognition, not a reason to be concerned.

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

You said Luck has underachieved, which I think is the reason you're getting disagreement here. Me personally, I don't consider Luck to be elite right now, either, but I think he has the makings to be elite moving forward. We'll see how that goes. 

And you said you don't put him anywhere near Manning, and I think the assumption is we're talking about early Manning, not deadly assassin Manning from 2003 and on. 

Ball security is very important. But it's not uncommon for playmaking QBs to turn the ball over at a higher clip, especially when they're still relatively young. Big picture, I'm not concerned with Luck's turnovers. His turnover rate is fine (compared to anybody but Rodgers), and in 2013 when the focus was obviously reducing turnovers, he was in rare form.

He'll find his balance, but this is particularly where he misses out on having an OC that stresses efficiency. To be honest, playing in a Coryell offense with an interception rate below 3% is worthy of recognition, not a reason to be concerned.

Agree with you.

but i still think Luck has underachieved.  some of it is his fault, some isn't.

even a playmaking QB needs to not turn the ball over, ESPECIALLY when he has acpoor defense.

Those that think i don't like Andrew as our QB or think I'd rather have someone else are blinded by homerism.  

I am guilty of being a Colt homer too, i'm always over-optimistic and glass half-full about life in general.

And yes, when i mentioned Peyton, you could have put Brady or Rogers name there too.  I didnt mean Peyton specifically, i was just using him as an example of what i consider "elite" which is such a subjective term anyway.  

I think we can get there with Luck if he settles down and we give him some defense to help out.  Somebetter play calling and protection will help as well.  Luck can't do it alone (obviously) , elite or not.  I too think andrew will improve, but to say he's elite now is a stretch imo.

4 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

even a playmaking QB needs to not turn the ball over

I agree with most of what you're saying. I don't think Luck has underachieved, at all. Maybe the team has, but I really only feel that way about 2016. Prior to that, the team probably overachieved, with the playoff success through 2014, and then Luck was hurt most of 2015 and the team went 6-3 without him.

But to the quoted portion, just speaking generally, Luck doesn't turn the ball over noticeably more than any really good QB who plays in an aggressive offense. I agree that turnovers are critical, but I also think Luck's turnovers are overstated, for the most part.Yes, there are individual plays that are cringe-worthy, but there are twice as many jaw-dropping plays he makes that make up for them. I spoke about him finding the proper balance between playmaking and ball security, and I think he can, but I think he's hampered by this offense. I think practically all of our offensive players are. 

1 hour ago, Surge89 said:

Eh... that is pushing it... badly.  Peyton was a choker but he could truly do things that would leave you in awe.  

If I can see more of games like that KC game from Luck then I can start jumping on.  Until then I'm fine with Luck and his abilities I'm glad to have him :).

(as an aside) Imo also Manning had an even worse team than Luck had in his final 3 or 4 years with the Colts.  Grigson was bad but man the end of the Polian era was... really really awful. 

What's pushing it? Did you watch Andrew play last season? He made quite a few plays that would "leave you in awe."

And we're talking about their first 5 years respectively, not anyone's final 3 or 4. 

The Colts do get the combine ever year, hosted a Super Bowl and Is being considered for the draft.  Marquee events.  We are right in the mix organization wise.  We just have to get that great defense Ballard is building and we will be right back at the top again.  I just know he is going to build A top 5 defense....I am getting pumped up just thinking about it.

5 hours ago, Superman said:

The Titans finished a game ahead of us and picked 18th. They had the Rams first rounder from last year's Goff trade, which is why they picked at #5 this year. The Titans actually look like they're division contenders.

Yeah you're right I forgot about that. My mistake. 

Still not that worried about them. I'm more worried the Colts have tons of injury problems AGAIN this season 

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

They are pick to do so every season and as I always state before every season they will be below .500. That is my given prediction every season. I said they would stink last season and a lot of people were jumping on me saying how they could win the Division. They will be lucky if they go 6-10. Colts will never be worse than 8-8 if Andrew Luck starts and plays in every game.

Agree but 6-10 with Bortles is progress for them.

8-8 with Luck isn't worthy of respect. 

1 hour ago, ClaytonColt said:

Agree but 6-10 with Bortles is progress for them.

8-8 with Luck isn't worthy of respect. 

8-8 is underachieving for us I agree, was just pointing out as long as we have Luck we wont stink. 8-8 is Average. I want 11-5's again but we will see if that happens. I think so far we have had a great offseason.

As BOTT said, Tom Moore was the man.  What I wouldn't give to have that guy back to teach Luck. 

At any rate, this media "disrespect" does not bother me.  The Colts haven't earned it the last two seasons.  Yes they are improving the roster.  So is the rest of the division.  The good thing is it doesn't really matter where they predict the Colts will finish.  What they do on the field will.   A good year and they will be back predicting great things for this team, although I'm not sure they don't play better as 'dogs.  But media predictions never proved anything = no big deal.

I don't get the fuss about power rankings this time around of the season. It's a guessing game, and we all know that. Last year this time around the season, ESPN had Carolina as their #1, and the Falcons at #18. Were they *s? No, they weren't. Its just the NFL. There are only a handful of teams - like the Patriots, Falcons, Seattle, Green Bay, maybe Pittsburgh, then the Browns, Niners, Bears - who are relatively safe bets to put them in the playoffs and/or in the bottom. Outside of these teams, the remaining 20-25 teams are soo close, that no one can predict how they will fare.

For example, there is the Texans. I can easily see - and explain why - them finising below .500 and 4th in the division. They lost Bouye, Simon, Wilfork, Demps to name a few, so there's a chance that their defense won't be as good as it was last year - even if Watt returns. And if Savage / Watson wont be the next Dak Prescott, they will be in trouble. On the other side, if Watson turns into a Prescott, and they find the missing pieces replacing Bouye, they might end up winning the division easily. Which scenario will happen? I have no clue, really. And anyone, who claims to know it, I just cant take it seriously. Its a guessing game, again.

So, all I care about is how our Colts will do. To be realistic, it can go both ways too. Don't get me wrong, I love what Ballard did this offseason. I think this was the best offseason I have seen in years. But Ballard builds the team for the future, which, not necessarily will show in day 1. Or year 1. The Colts defense will probably have at least 6 new players in their starting lineup, including rookies. Even seasoned elite veterans need some time to pick up their new team's playbook, system, get into their new role. Its very rare that they play at the same high level in the beginning as they played for their former teams. So I expect some struggles in the beginning. Maybe big struggles. Which might cost us games. Our schedule is preferrable, but if our defense won't get into shape quickly, then we might loose some games in the beginning of the season which we suppose to win, and if that happens, then, we might face an uphill battle the entire season. But it's also possible, that our front7 will be a lot better out of the box, and - if injury bug wont hit us as bad as last year - the defense will be more reliable from week1 and on, and by the end of a season it will be a formidable squad. If that happens, the division might be there for us to grab. 

Let's hope for the best. :) But as fans, lets also prepare for the worse. And if the worse happens, don't give up on them too early! We have a very young - and I believe a talented - defensive core, which might be a force in a couple of years, regardless of how they play in 2017.

Pats cheat, Colts are soft, Good hitting safeties play dirty, And Romo broke his collar bone passing the mic.

You are who the Media makes you out to be for the rest of the world.  Until you prove them wrong,... consistently.

Every media person grew up as a fan of a certain team.  And if your team is not THAT team, then you'e not the 'up and coming team'.

Ballard was hired to change our image, along with the personnel.  It takes time.   And until you win consistently you don't change the outlook.  Manning was considered a regular season record breaker, and postseason flop artist.  Even after winning 2 Superbowls, i still don't think he shook off that mantle.

So frankly, I use ESPN, NFL.com, CBS Sports, ect, to keep up on news outside of the Colts.  

THIS is where I go to discuss what fans (the true people who are knowledgeable about the Colts) think and what they have to say.

12 hours ago, Superman said:

Does Luck have Peyton Manning's work ethic? Does he prepare like Peyton did? Luck has the talent of a Peyton Manning, but this is a team sport. His relationship with all the players on offense - esp. all the wide receivers and TEs - and confidence in the overall team performance doesn't seem to "be there". Until that improves, bridle your expectations.

35 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

Does Luck have Peyton Manning's work ethic? Does he prepare like Peyton did? Luck has the talent of a Peyton Manning, but this is a team sport. His relationship with all the players on offense - esp. all the wide receivers and TEs - and confidence in the overall team performance doesn't seem to "be there". Until that improves, bridle your expectations.

Irsay just said winning a championship is what Andrews life is based around. I think he prepares pretty damn good. 

On the subject of "disrespect" I had an interesting weekend. I was at a food show for a restaurant chain I am member of in southwest Pa. There were around 270 people attending, most of us are from western Pa., but others come in from other areas of the U.S. Myself and 3 other Colt fans were there. One from Georgia, North Carolina, and one from Indiana. Not one fan from any of the "elite,power" teams that the media stooges love to scream about how great those teams and their owners are were there(there were Steeler fans there since it was in SW Pa). There are Colt fans everywhere whether the NFL and their propaganda stooges want to admit it or not. Had a great time talking Colt football with people from different areas of the country. I truly believe there are as many Colt fans in this country as any other team, regardless of what the highly paid stooges on bspn and the nfl comedy network say.

20 hours ago, BProland85 said:

ESPN has complete bias against the Colts. Stop watching!! There are only a few people who actually think highly of the Colts on that network, and they are Jeff Saturday and Bill Polian. 

Dear God...

11 hours ago, GoatBeard said:

Yeah you're right I forgot about that. My mistake. 

Still not that worried about them. I'm more worried the Colts have tons of injury problems AGAIN this season 

Well they haven't beat the Colts since 2011, so I'm not worried about them, either. But they're definitely ahead of the Jags, and it's not even close, IMO. 

2 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Irsay just said winning a championship is what Andrews life is based around. I think he prepares pretty damn good. 

I don't even know where people get some of this stuff from. Luck's work ethic has never been called into question on any reasonable grounds. 

4 hours ago, CoachLite said:

I don't think Luck lacks a Peyton Manning level work ethic.

The only valid criticism of Andrew Luck I can even entertain is the idea that he lacks a certain leadership quality Manning had.....hes too nice sometimes and you would like to see him be the bad guy once in awhile.

But whether or not that is even necessary is a very subjective argument and I am not sure how valid that actually is. I think that all depends on the structure of the team and whether or not they get those qualities elsewhere, because it doesn't always have to be your QB.

11 hours ago, CoachLite said:

Actually, I think the one element Luck is missing is yelling at his teammates while on TV.  That whole yelling thing leads to greatness.

11 hours ago, CoachLite said:

Work ethic is not an issue. Luck is more physically gifted than Manning ever was but I don't Luck is close to having Manning cerebrals. 

1 hour ago, deedub75 said:

Work ethic is not an issue. Luck is more physically gifted than Manning ever was but I don't Luck is close to having Manning cerebrals. 

Luck is smarter than manning....I would bet.

1 hour ago, Zalazar Elijahh said:

I think you lose that bet

One was validictorian of his HS, graduated from Stanford in architectural engineering, and scored a 37 on his wonderlic.

Manning went to state school and majored in communications (jock major) and scored a 28 on the wonderlic.

i think I win quite easily.

On 5/8/2017 at 1:41 PM, BlueCollarColts said:

By the national media, and I'm kind of blown away by it. Now i'm not saying this team needs to be considered the favorites or anything, it's perfectly fine to have the teams that beat the Colts last year above them, but we're not even mentioned with being a team even able to compete in this division... And the Jags are! I just watched ESPN's breakdown of the division, and they mentioned the Jags and Titans as teams that have improved and can challenge the Texans while insinuating the Colts haven't improved much.. What? I don't want to lump all of the media together, as this seems to be more the perspective of the national media, but I just find it completely shocking we've become a complete afterthought in the division despite losing the division by only one game last year with Luck missing time due to injury.

Lets just face it. Haters gonna hate, Lovers gonna Love....