Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is this the worst defense in the history of the Colts?

digroute88

Just now, The Old Crow said:

Agreed. It wasn't much fun watching football in those days. I think the 1991 Indy Colts joined the previously mentioned other Colt teams in a top 25 worst teams of all time. 

Yep 1-15 in 1991. The only win was over the Jets 28-27 that season. From 1984-1986 I had to put up with terrible Defenses and Mike Pagel/Frank Kush/and Rod freakin Dowhower. 1987 was sweet because we got Dickerson and actually won the Division. He was the team.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

58 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

Lol, my guess is that many have tried to forget the 80's Colts!

Most of the Bob Irsay era, 1972-1997, a quarter century, was pretty forgettable except for three seasons in the 1970's , 1987 as mentioned, 1995, and a few other 9-7 seasons. It was a pretty bad era of football with only the 1947-1956 years that were similar in their futility. 

I dont know. the early 90s defense were pretty bad especially the one that at one point held the record for most points given up in a season and then theres 2006 before the playoffs. you say this defense cant tackle, go back and watch the game vs the jags late in the season. worst tackling id ever seen in my life

It's bad but I don't think where it ranks historically with bad Colts defenses really matters. All teams have times in their franchise where the defense was terrible. The current Steelers D is probably one of the worst considering how good they've usually been in the past. Bottom line is regardless of the numbers and where it ranks all time in Colts history, this defense is horrible and needs to be fixed.

On 10/20/2016 at 1:04 PM, krunk said:

I think it's a bad tackling defense for sure.  Bad at executing assignments as far as this front 7 are concerned.  Mainly the linebacking corps.

Drives me crazy.  Some of the front seven will get to the backfield and you think there's a sack only to see the RB get the ball, shrug off two defenders and gain 8 yards.  

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 11:24 AM, digroute88 said:

Is this the worst defense in the history of the Colts? One of the so called radio experts was quoted as saying the Colts defense is the worst he's seen in 20 years , so I was just wondering if this could be the worst ever . I think were 31st in the league .

I just read they are 30th averaging giving up 411.2 yards per game and the last two games they up 936 yards. You don't fix that, you fire people and start over.

23 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

In defense of the defense, the defensive coach is indefensible.That ends my defense of the defense.

he is going through on the job training as a dc, who knows how many years it will take for him to learn to be a dc if he ever does, it  seems like he has a long way to go

On 10/20/2016 at 3:06 PM, crazycolt1 said:

For long time Colt fans (before the Manning era) we have seen just about everything there was to see. From the bottom to the top. That kind of explains why a lot of people think newer Colt fans are spoiled.

I think that also explains why the older fans don't get as upset over a bad season as some others do.

Right now the Patriots are high and have been for a while but I remember them being the doormat of the NFL for quite a long time to.

Look at the Steelers before Chuck Knox ?  Tampa Bay has had the worst teams in history, even worse than the Browns.

Being a long time fan that has seen and lived all the ups and downs I guess things are accepted with a little more reality.

They may have been doormats but they always seemed to beat us......even back then. That is why my hatred of them is so strong

On 10/21/2016 at 8:42 AM, BloodyChamp said:

It's bad but this year is also a sign of the times. There are so many comebacks like the 1 last Sunday night because of the rules. Mix that in with putrid playcalling on offense and you have a disaster. 

That ballet touchdown of Miller's as he danced his way through 7 tacklers had nothing to do with the rules

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 11:24 AM, digroute88 said:

Is this the worst defense in the history of the Colts? One of the so called radio experts was quoted as saying the Colts defense is the worst he's seen in 20 years , so I was just wondering if this could be the worst ever . I think were 31st in the league .

not even close..

remember the 2-14 team in 2011? ......I think QBs completed 70% of their passes against us

5 hours ago, FanFromtheWasteland said:

That ballet touchdown of Miller's as he danced his way through 7 tacklers had nothing to do with the rules

It dang sure did...that could have gotten you decapitated in an era not long ago. Ball carriers are fearless now and tacklers are in 4th gear.

On 10/20/2016 at 0:24 PM, digroute88 said:

It's a tough list to get on top of, there were lean years but this could be the worst and it's definitely in the conversation.  Monachino has been a mistake to date.

On October 20, 2016 at 11:24 AM, digroute88 said:

Yes, I am beginning to think this is the worst Colts defense I can ever recall seeing. :-(

This is definitely the worst defense that I've seen since our 2-14 season. It may actually rank right there along with it. It's crazy how we still applied pressure using off timed blitzes without Mathis when we had Manusky. Then 2 years later with almost the same players and newly added young drafted players we look a lot worse. I hope our young guys can improve.

On 10/22/2016 at 9:46 AM, King Colt said:

I just read they are 30th averaging giving up 411.2 yards per game and the last two games they up 936 yards. You don't fix that, you fire people and start over.

Next week definitely doesn't get any easier, especially if the Packers lose tonight their po'd offense will take out all their aggression on this Colts D @ Lambeau.

6 minutes ago, Malakai432 said:

Next week definitely doesn't get any easier, especially if the Packers lose tonight their po'd offense will take out all their aggression on this Colts D @ Lambeau.

I suspect that next week will pretty much be the official end of any playoff aspirations.   I mean, for me it was 90% done with the loss to the Texans, and today's debacle cements it in my mind, but the L next week would be the nail in the coffin.

On 10/20/2016 at 11:47 PM, The Old Crow said:

The 1981 Baltimore Colts were 2-14, and had one of the worst defenses in NFL History allowing 533 points and 6,793 yards allowed. They had a - 274 point differential. This was the year Bob Irsay drifted into the coaches box and called plays in Philadelphia. The 1982 Baltimore Colts were 0-8-1 in the next stellar season. This was sandwiched in between two 7-9 seasons in 1980 and 1983. It was no wonder attendance was down at Memorial Stadium. It was a very hopeless feeling as a fan at that time, as it seemed it would never get better. The reality was, it got way worse !

I remember going to Cincy in 83  too see Pagel and the boys take down the AFC champs who were lead by Ken Anderson. They were 5-3 at that point, finished 7-9. Moved to Indy in the offseason. 

Colts in the last thirty years or so have only had a few decent runs of defense. They were pretty good in the late 80s with Bickett, Krauss , etc. Mid-90s they were decent with Siragusa, McCoy, Buchanan, etc. 05 was by far their best D in Indy with McFarland playing NT. They were up there in points allowed in a good way.  That's about it. They have had about 40 years of top QB play, Unitas, Jones, Manning, Luck and in all that 4 titles, 2 in 58 and 59, one in SB3. Three of them by Johnny U, one by Manning , and zero with Bert and Luck.2  stinking titles in 57 years with arguably, them and GB, the best QB talent in the league nonstop. Just think about that and let it settle in. Any kind of defense at all and this franchise should have 4, 5 SB banners . 

11 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

I suspect that next week will pretty much be the official end of any playoff aspirations.   I mean, for me it was 90% done with the loss to the Texans, and today's debacle cements it in my mind, but the L next week would be the nail in the coffin.

Yeah I agree with you there.  If they lose next week which is highly likely, the chance of turning it around @ 3-6 is slim to none.  Considering they still have to play Oak, Minn, Pitts, Jets and divisional foes they've already lost to they would need to go on a big winning streak which I just don't see happening.

On 10/20/2016 at 11:47 PM, The Old Crow said:

The 1981 Baltimore Colts were 2-14, and had one of the worst defenses in NFL History allowing 533 points and 6,793 yards allowed. They had a - 274 point differential. This was the year Bob Irsay drifted into the coaches box and called plays in Philadelphia. The 1982 Baltimore Colts were 0-8-1 in the next stellar season. This was sandwiched in between two 7-9 seasons in 1980 and 1983. It was no wonder attendance was down at Memorial Stadium. It was a very hopeless feeling as a fan at that time, as it seemed it would never get better. The reality was, it got way worse !

I remember going to Cincy to see Pagel and the boys take down the AFC champs who were lead by Ken Anderson. They were 5-3 at that point, finished 7-9. Moved to Indy in the offseason. 

On 10/22/2016 at 11:13 AM, FanFromtheWasteland said:

They may have been doormats but they always seemed to beat us......even back then. That is why my hatred of them is so strong

Colts have had a very polar history. Great in the 50s, 60s, early 70s. Horrendous in the late 70s, early 80, early 90s. Mediocre middle 90s. Seems like they are either good or really bad.