Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is this the worst defense in the history of the Colts?

digroute88

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's certainly close. In an era where passing is the thing that everybody's doing. We have a defense that can't pressure the quarterback or cover tight ends or backs out of the backfield.... Every QB's Dream. Certainly the worst I've seen on those two fronts. 

I've been watching the Colts consistently since 1998(thank you sunday ticket)and I've been a fan since the 70's. So, this is definitely one of the worst in all of that time.The Colts have had some really bad teams in that amount of time but  I think this defense has the potential to go down as one of the top 3-4 worst since the 80's.

Monster building? Obviously that is a punchline now.

17 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

It's certainly close. In an era where passing is the thing that everybody's doing. We have a defense that can't pressure the quarterback or cover tight ends or backs out of the backfield.... Every QB's Dream. Certainly the worst I've seen on those two fronts. 

I agree AND they're not even CREATING turnovers! I guess all that AGGRESSIVE play calling and those EXOTIC blitzes coming from anywhere at all times to GENERATE pressure as promised by Chuck's buddy 1st time dc Monachino was all TALK!!! Same as Chuck talking about the defense hunting.... :facepalm:

I seem to remember this Colts team under Jim Caldwell that got 60 points put on them by the Saints and Drew Brees.  Now that was a bad defensive performance!  I remember walking home from work to watch the game and I swear they had 30 points on us by the time the first quarter ended.  And the crazy thing was we were playing Cover 2 almost the entire time.

The Colts are still in the running for the Myles Garrett sweepstakes, so take heart, Colts fans. The way this season is going, the Number 1 overall pick isn't out of the realm of possibility, and a Top Five pick is almost guaranteed. Of course, we still need to have someone make that pick, and could easily end up with another "wide receiver with a high ceiling". 

I'm doing my best to watch the rest of our games, but knowing we could potentially be 6-0 right now instead of 2-4 makes me sick.

I love this team and I would never stop rooting for them, but this season is just...death.

The fact that our entire secondary couldn't tackle one guy Sunday night is a testament to how bad this defense truly is.

I understand sometimes someone can make an outstanding play and evade a few guys (Marshawn Lynch against the Saints a few years ago) but, to be stopped and run an EXTRA 40+ yards total to score a touchdown sideways is a total embarrassment.

Whoever is our coach and GM next year better make something happen with our draft and what pragmatic moves can be made in free agency. Otherwise it will be another repeat year.

16 minutes ago, krunk said:

I seem to remember this Colts team under Jim Caldwell that got 60 points put on them by the Saints and Drew Brees.  Now that was a bad defensive performance!  I remember walking home from work to watch the game and I swear they had 30 points on us by the time the first quarter ended.  And the crazy thing was we were playing Cover 2 almost the entire time.

They were probably actually playing tampa 2 almost the entire game.  That year was so bad I started documenting the defensive playcalling to show how inept it was, and then about 8-10 weeks into the season during a national broadcast, they even showed a graphic of teams that had run tampa 2 coverage the most.  the colts were at #1 at slightly over 50% of defensive playcalls being tampa 2 coverage whereas the #2 team (don't remember who it was) was at less than 25% of the time.

1 minute ago, Jason_S said:

They were probably actually playing tampa 2 almost the entire game.  That year was so bad I started documenting the defensive playcalling to show how inept it was, and then about 8-10 weeks into the season during a national broadcast, they even showed a graphic of teams that had run tampa 2 coverage the most.  the colts were at #1 at slightly over 50% of defensive playcalls being tampa 2 coverage whereas the #2 team (don't remember who it was) was at less than 25% of the time.

I knew we were going down the drain defensively as soon as they made the Larry Coyer hire.  He was always bad with Denver except maybe one year.   Peyton used to annhialate all of his defenses.

1 hour ago, IinD said:

Without looking up #'s some of those early PM teams were brutal.

The days where we couldn't even punt once were the worst I think.

These guys are giving them a run for their money though.

I saw a stat (think it was on Colin cowherds show) that the defenses Luck plays with are giving up 5-6 points a game more than the one Manning played with.

I haven't crunched the numbers myself, but from the eye test alone it wouldn't surprise me if they actually are "the worst."

1 hour ago, digroute88 said:

Is this the worst defense in the history of the Colts? One of the so called radio experts was quoted as saying the Colts defense is the worst he's seen in 20 years , so I was just wondering if this could be the worst ever . I think were 31st in the league .

There close to the worst however I believe the regular season defense in 2006 was ranked 32 .

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/features/2007/how_to_watch_pro_football/why_youll_never_see_another_team_like_the_2006_colts.html

And miracles do happen ..

8 minutes ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

There close to the worst however I believe the regular season defense in 2006 was ranked 32 .

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/features/2007/how_to_watch_pro_football/why_youll_never_see_another_team_like_the_2006_colts.html

And miracles do happen ..

Sadly there won't be any miracles this season. Unless the defense gets some of Michael's Secret Stuff that is.

28 minutes ago, krunk said:

I knew we were going down the drain defensively as soon as they made the Larry Coyer hire.  He was always bad with Denver except maybe one year.   Peyton used to annhialate all of his defenses.

i did find it interesting though some of the comments Coyer made after he was fired.  About how playcalling was "controlled" by the higher ups and he wasn't allowed to blitz like he wanted.  Normally I'd just write something like that off as a disgruntled fired employee running his mouth, but considering the circumstances that led up to it I wouldn't be surprised if there was truth to what he said.  Especially since I don't recall there being any huge difference in playcalling by the new DC who took over.

2 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

i did find it interesting though some of the comments Coyer made after he was fired.  About how playcalling was "controlled" by the higher ups and he wasn't allowed to blitz like he wanted.  Normally I'd just write something like that off as a disgruntled fired employee running his mouth, but considering the circumstances that led up to it I wouldn't be surprised if there was truth to what he said.  Especially since I don't recall there being any huge difference in playcalling by the new DC who took over.

Wouldn't be surprised either because I too recall Coyer liking to bring pressure somewhat more than what we were used to

6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Yes this defense is bad but I don't think as bad as some from the 80s and early 90s?

Me either. From 1984-1986 our Defenses flat out stunk as well. Wasn't it 1982, the strike shortened season we went 0-8-1? Colts were in Baltimore then so it was before I was fan but that Defense had to be awful too.

For long time Colt fans (before the Manning era) we have seen just about everything there was to see. From the bottom to the top. That kind of explains why a lot of people think newer Colt fans are spoiled.

I think that also explains why the older fans don't get as upset over a bad season as some others do.

Right now the Patriots are high and have been for a while but I remember them being the doormat of the NFL for quite a long time to.

Look at the Steelers before Chuck Knox ?  Tampa Bay has had the worst teams in history, even worse than the Browns.

Being a long time fan that has seen and lived all the ups and downs I guess things are accepted with a little more reality.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

For long time Colt fans (before the Manning era) we have seen just about everything there was to see. From the bottom to the top. That kind of explains why a lot of people think newer Colt fans are spoiled.

I think that also explains why the older fans don't get as upset over a bad season as some others do.

Right now the Patriots are high and have been for a while but I remember them being the doormat of the NFL for quite a long time to.

Look at the Steelers before Chuck Knox ?  Tampa Bay has had the worst teams in history, even worse than the Browns.

Being a long time fan that has seen and lived all the ups and downs I guess things are accepted with a little more reality.

Yeah when the Colts moved to Indy in 1984 I was a teenager and was so excited as a kid just to get a team. I have seen it all, 1984-1986 was some of the worst Football I have ever seen Defensively and Offensively so I take the Good with the Bad now. The Jeff George days in the early 90's were stinky too, almost went 0-16 in 1991. Only win was over the Jets 28-27.

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Me either. From 1984-1986 our Defenses flat out stunk as well. Wasn't it 1982, the strike shortened season we went 0-8-1? Colts were in Baltimore then so it was before I was fan but that Defense had to be awful too.

You are correct. I have been a Colts fan since 1973 so I have been through a lot of good and bad times.

When the Colts drafted Bert Jones is when I became a fan. The Ruston Rifle from LSU was my player who I liked and looked up to the most.  

I watched the Hoosier Dome being built every day because where I worked at was less than a 1/4 mile away.

Needless to say I was pretty excited when the Colts moved to my home town because I thought they were moving to Arizona.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah the 1991 team was a disaster.

I was at the one win. So I can confirm we sucked. :)

If they keep getting injured though, this team could surpass a lot of the teams that had early years suckage.

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The 1981 Baltimore Colts were 2-14, and had one of the worst defenses in NFL History allowing 533 points and 6,793 yards allowed. They had a - 274 point differential. This was the year Bob Irsay drifted into the coaches box and called plays in Philadelphia. The 1982 Baltimore Colts were 0-8-1 in the next stellar season. This was sandwiched in between two 7-9 seasons in 1980 and 1983. It was no wonder attendance was down at Memorial Stadium. It was a very hopeless feeling as a fan at that time, as it seemed it would never get better. The reality was, it got way worse !

2 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

The 1981 Baltimore Colts were 2-14, and had one of the worst defenses in NFL History allowing 533 points and 6,793 yards allowed. They had a - 274 point differential. This was the year Bob Irsay drifted into the coaches box and called plays in Philadelphia. The 1982 Baltimore Colts were 0-8-1 in the next stellar season. This was sandwiched in between two 7-9 seasons in 1980 and 1983. It was no wonder attendance was down at Memorial Stadium. It was a very hopeless feeling as a fan at that time, as it seemed it would never get better. The reality was, it got way worse !

LOL, yeah and what people don't realize is that is what we call Bad, just like 1984-1986 here in Indy = Bad stuff.

14 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

LOL, yeah and what people don't realize is that is what we call Bad, just like 1984-1986 here in Indy = Bad stuff.

Agreed. It wasn't much fun watching football in those days. I think the 1991 Indy Colts joined the previously mentioned other Colt teams in a top 25 worst teams of all time.