Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Ryan Kelly, C, Alabama

21isSuperman

Just now, SteelCityColt said:

If you'd said pre-draft that 1 team was getting Jack AND Ramsey you'd have been laughed off this board..

Scary times if he lands there and his knee can hold up, even for a season. I don't think the AFC South is going to have it it's "soft" tag for much longer. Jags making good moves and might have their QB, Titans not making as good moves but might too have a QB, Texans will be dangerous if they get decent QB play out of Osweiler. 

At least we got a center and patrick robinson to take us to the next level

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, pgt_rob said:

Who was your pick at #18?

Myles Jack. I also would have taken any of these guys over Kelly at 18:

Shaw Lawson, Rob Nkemdiche, William Jackson III, Kevin Dodd, Noah Spence, Mackensie Alexander, Chris Jones or Andrew Billings. 

Just now, Dustin said:

Shaw Lawson, Rob Nkemdiche, William Jackson III, Kevin Dodd, Noah Spence, Mackensie Alexander, Chris Jones or Andrew Billings. 

I think we could still get Dodd, Spence, Billings, Jones, or Alexander though. We will wait and see what happens. I think Kelly was someone that Irsay wanted honestly. It's not a sexy pick by all means but our O-Line is terrible.

Just now, pgt_rob said:

I think we could still get Dodd, Spence, Billings, Jones, or Alexander though. We will wait and see what happens. I think Kelly was someone that Irsay wanted honestly. It's not a sexy pick by all means but our O-Line is terrible.

The O-line is perfectly average, made worse by the fact that Luck holds on to the ball way too long and we don't have any talent at RB. 

There's a reason why teams take C's in the first round less than any other (non ST position), they're not valuable. 

1 minute ago, Dustin said:

The O-line is perfectly average, made worse by the fact that Luck holds on to the ball way too long and we don't have any talent at RB. 

There's a reason why teams take C's in the first round less than any other (non ST position), they're not valuable. 

I agree 100%. People on here were ripping me for saying the exact same thing. Can't wait to see people's reactions 

2 minutes ago, Dustin said:

200.gif

21 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You are just wasting your time quoting facts. Most of the ones complaining are the ones who non stop complain about every move the Colts make so stating your case is nil to them.

Go on. Name me one other thing I've complained about.

2 minutes ago, Dustin said:

You're a smart guy when it comes to football but I think you're giving the O-Line a little bit too much credit to help back your opinion. Luck DOES hold onto the ball too long, that's a coaching issue. Make him more aware to get it gone quicker. However, the line is not perfectly average in my opinion. I think it's perfectly below average. Kelly will help, not a sexy pick but it definitely should help.

8 hours ago, Superman said:

This is where "scout honestly"  and "maximize value" come into play. I don't think we can call him BPA -- except on a board heavily influenced by need. So I can complain about the value of the pick and all that forever. 

But I do think they got a good, potentially great player, someone who can start right away and probably play for years. He's got a great track record, he plays an important position, and he makes the OL better right away. I feel hypocritical no matter where I come down on this. 'Grigson needs to fix the line,' yet 'don't reach for need and maximize value.' End of the day, at least they got a good player. I definitely believe that.

No doubt a nice pick that fills a great need. Also much "safer" than one of the available edge rushers. The doubters are upset because he probably would have been there at 24-25. Big deal ....

1 hour ago, SP_21 said:

Value isn't all about how good a player can be. I like Kelly as a player but would never draft a center Round 1. 

FWIW I think we win 10+ games. 12-4 is my prediction 

Why not? I think the whole point of round 1 is to select a player who is going to have an impact. If Kelly is as good as advertised we get a player who can anchor the line for the forseeable future and instantly improve the pass protection and running game. That combination equals more wins which is what you're after. All the analysts I heard last night said that Kelly is a plug and play C or G even with pro bowl potential. The fact that he's a center should have nothing to do with where he is selected. All indications are that he was by far the best player at the position and I think the vast majority of us on this forum have seen how valuable a good Center can be.

5 minutes ago, theanarchist said:

Why not? I think the whole point of round 1 is to select a player who is going to have an impact. If Kelly is as good as advertised we get a player who can anchor the line for the forseeable future and instantly improve the pass protection and running game. That combination equals more wins which is what you're after. All the analysts I heard last night said that Kelly is a plug and play C or G even with pro bowl potential. The fact that he's a center should have nothing to do with where he is selected. All indications are that he was by far the best player at the position and I think the vast majority of us on this forum have seen how valuable a good Center can be.

Not to mention the impact he'll have on both guards! 

18 minutes ago, Dustin said:

You'd take 6 guys at 18 that no one took in the first 31 picks? They won't even all be gone by our second most likely......

I don't understand Dustin's point that you don't draft C's in the first because the position isn't valued..... the return on investment when teams have drafted centers recently is very high.....  I would say that there aren't often Centers of high enough quality to be drafted in the first..... when they ARE high enough quality to go in the first, they do, and they tend to perform relative to the investment..... Frederick, Pouncey, Mack.....

1 minute ago, Shafty138 said:

I don't understand Dustin's point that you don't draft C's in the first because the position isn't valued..... the return on investment when teams have drafted centers recently is very high.....  I would say that there aren't often Centers of high enough quality to be drafted in the first..... when they ARE high enough quality to go in the first, they do, and they tend to perform relative to the investment..... Frederick, Pouncey, Mack.....

Because the difference from production from one center to the next is pretty minimal. A center, a lot of the time is double-teaming down with a guard anyway. 

10 hours ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

Im livid right now. We had a chance to get a great defensive player and Grigson played it safe. 

I am so happy you arent the GM.... You do not draft players in the 1st round with health problems. Especially ones where you don't know the full extent of the damage or how long they will be out, if they will be the same player again etc....

3 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Because the difference from production from one center to the next is pretty minimal. A center, a lot of the time is double-teaming down with a guard anyway. 

I feel pretty strongly that Kelly will improve our other linemen by making much better calls and getting people into the correct assignments..... it looked like Holmes struggled with this, and Harrison had absolutely no clue when it came to this aspect of the game.

20 minutes ago, theanarchist said:

A Center doesn't have much of an impact. That's why

21 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Yeah, look at all those rings on their fingers.

Genuinely hope that if we finish 7-9 but Kelly makes the probowl that everyone will be delighted as that seems to be how we're measuring the pick.

35 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Your correct that teams don't often opt for centers in the first round as it's only happned 6 times since 2000. However we have to consider the "Luck factor." Also there are some that think he might be the top guard in this class. And for the record all 6 of those first rounders have played in at least one pro bowl. But I hear you as 18 is no doubt high for a center if you want to consider where they are normally selected in drafts.

24 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

Well I guess I can agree that you're not going to see it on the stat sheet like you would if you got a stud pass rusher but I think from the standpoint that this guy looks like he will make a difference in the run game and protecting luck. I wasnt sold 100% on Lawson. As I heard one of the analysts say last night, Lawson played too heavy and he looked lost in space at times. I won't argue that if we had picked Lawson I would have been fine with that but I still like the Kelly pick and I think it's a step in the right direction.

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

I wanted Kelly all along so I am extremely happy.

That said, it seems as though some fans are going out of their way to take any comment out of context. I read a post of a fan who said he/she would have rather we drafted defense. That fan was ripped for writing it. There's nothing wrong with having an opinion guys and gals.

Kelly is an awesome addition to our team, and most Colts fans like the pick. Some fans (like me) love the pick. Others might need a little time to fall in love with it.

This pick will speak for itself, once we all see how much it improves our team. I believe Kelly improved our team the moment his name was announced at #18. Some people are a little sceptical. Give them a little time.

your words hit home, made me realize that not everyone see's things the way i do and maybe never will. no-one thinks exactly the same. And i do understand wanting a Defensive pick.   I may fully agree with this pick, but should not judge others for wishing it was someone else.   Thank you.  

I think what we're calling a "safe" pick now, we're going to look back on and call a "slam dunk".

Kelly is the "type" of player you spend a 1st rd pick on.  He is clean off the field, he's smart, and he is a "first" guy on the field.  He is the first one into the huddle, the first one to line up, first to touch the ball.  It's hard to teach that kind of mentality, and he just has it already.  It's a championship attitude.

If Kelly stays healthy, and KEEPS ANDREW HEALTHY, they could go on an "Iron Man" streak and hopefully lead a juggernaut of an offense for years to come.

Saturday-Manning 2.0

36 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

Genuinely hope that if we finish 7-9 but Kelly makes the probowl that everyone will be delighted as that seems to be how we're measuring the pick.

the opposed could be that we go to the superbowl over 1 guy whom solidifies the anchor of the offensive line.

46 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

Beg to differ, He is the 2nd most important player on the offense.  

#1: Reads the defensive front 7, making sure himself and other linemen have the correct guy

#2: Blocks the biggest men on the defense, pushing or pulling them to either play keep away with the QB, or the RB.

#3: oh yeah...makes sure the QB receives the football on every play flawlessly.

#4: when an edge rusher beat the edge blocker, how does a QB avoid him?, he steps up INTO the pocket.  How do you do this without a center that can hold their ground?

The impact of the Center is HUGE, lack of stats on a Center and not hearing their name called during a game does not mean they have no impact, it means they've done their job well.  aka, We heard Harrisons and Holmes' name called WAY to much past few years.

45 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

So, let me just light that Straw-Man you have there on fire....  Steve Largent, Derrick Thomas, Dan Fouts, Lee Roy Selmon, Warren Moon, Larry Wilson (creator of the safety blitz ), Eric Dickerson, Ken Houston, Earl Freaking Campbell, GAYLE SAYERS, O.J. Simpson, Merlin Olsen, Deacon Jones, Dick Butkus, Barry Sanders....

What do they all have in common?  They are all Hall of Fame players who not only don't have the RINGZZZ in your argument, they never even got to a Superbowl....  by your rings metric, all of these players were just as innefectual as the non-superbowl winning (yet) Centers I named.... sure, you suck and were not a good player, and certainly not a worthy draft pick if you can't single handedly win a team a SB..... gimme a break.

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

At least we got a center and patrick robinson to take us to the next level

I hear you.. I have a lot of respect for your knowledge so I know you're not bellyaching like some for the sake of it.

I see later on you named 6 players you'd have taken instead, I suppose the flip side to that is there are at least a few players taken after us in the first that I'm very glad we didn't pick.. it could have been worse! 

This pick, like all, will be seen through the lens of hindsight, let's say we draft well enough for the next 2 days to pick up 2-3 solid contributors/starters, Luck learns to get rid of the ball quicker, the Oline pulls together for us to start having a running game. People then will look back and say it was a darn good pick, especially if one of the other options flames out. 

I wasn't over the moon about the Dorsett pick last year but I could (sorta) understand it. I feel the same sort of way here but I have a lot more confidence in getting some production out of Kelly this year. 

7 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

So, let me just light that Straw-Man you have there on fire....  Steve Largent, Derrick Thomas, Dan Fouts, Lee Roy Selmon, Warren Moon, Larry Wilson (creator of the safety blitz ), Eric Dickerson, Ken Houston, Earl Freaking Campbell, GAYLE SAYERS, O.J. Simpson, Merlin Olsen, Deacon Jones, Dick Butkus, Barry Sanders....

What do they all have in common?  They are all Hall of Fame players who not only don't have the RINGZZZ in your argument, they never even got to a Superbowl....  by your rings metric, all of these players were just as innefectual as the non-superbowl winning (yet) Centers I named.... sure, you suck and were not a good player, and certainly not a worthy draft pick if you can't single handedly win a team a SB..... gimme a break.

No, individual players are subject to the normal variables over time.  That's completely different. 

The point that of the last 15? 20? Superbowl teams there's been not 1st round center present is a decent sample size and also an indication that players in that position can be selected in lower rounds and still contribute to a greater level to a successful team.

I don't see the issue with that. It a completely fair position based on how other successful teams are built.