Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Ryan Kelly, C, Alabama

21isSuperman

3 minutes ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

Luck could still get hurt because he holds on the ball too long. I like Kelly he's a good player but Lawson and Jack were blue chip defensive players. Werner was a gamble and Lawson was faster but also bigger and stronger. 

Yeah and we could bring in Jack and he never returns to his old form and our defense doesn't really get a whole.lot better from him. Or we coukd have brought Lawson in and he doesn't end up being what people thought he could be. There's risk with any direction and a chance that things don't play out like you'd thought they would. There could have been just as much with taking Lawson or Jack at 18. But Kelly is about as close as you can get to a sure bet. 

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, Freeupfreeney said:

Of course there were better players. But I just got finished watching tape, And i'm so glad Taloy Decker was gone. That dude is in no way shape or form a first rounder. Kelly is a much better lineman. I said the same thing about Morris Claiborne.

Sometimes the people who rank these players are wrong, Decker is slow and sluggish. Kelly needs to play better with a guy in from of his nose, but he is a waay better lineman than Decker to me.

I like the pick, I love it actually after watching some tape.

If Floyd would've been there I would've went Defense but since he wasn't I love the pick.

22 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

Im curious if all of you have scouted Kelly? What if he's just another overhyped Bama player?

I don't mind the pick but many people expect him to "lock down the center position for 10 years". There's definitely a risk and we just invested a lot in a position that's not a premium spot. 

Just curious

He played 46 games, lost 5. Committed 1 penalty all season. Highly underrated player. The guy getting the ball to Luck is a very premium spot, considering it's been literally a musical chairs game of horrible players getting him killed.

3 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

All Pro? Really I don't think anybody said that. He's not a bad player but there were much better players with a higher value still available. 

I wonder where the "All Pro" talk is coming from. 

You don't think anyone said that? I just wrote it was said by people on the NFL Network and I believe are paid well for THEIR opinion, how much for yours?

Just now, jvan1973 said:

Is the draft over already?    I was under the impression there were more rounds to come

You're right. And we could have used one of our 6 other picks on a center. 

Im not furious over the pick. I think Kelly is a fine player but he was not a good value and Luck has hurt himself as much as the O-line has let him down. 

7 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

Didn't answer my question... and Lawson plays a premium position and was available. Also William Jackson III

What question....What if Kelly is just another overhyped 'bama player?  

What if those other players don't turn out to be good pros?   Tough questions to answer since the entire draft process is a "what if" question.

3 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

Im not furious over the pick. I think Kelly is a fine player but he was not a good value and Luck has hurt himself as much as the O-line has let him down. 

Now that I agree with.  I just don't think the other defensive players were any better value. 

And they are falling.  How the draft is shaking out has to be considered.  We can get a very good defensive player at 48.  Might just get another KHolmes if you don't take Kelly there.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

What question....What if Kelly is just another overhyped 'bama player?  

What if those other players don't turn out to be good pros?   Tough questions to answer since the entire draft process is a "what if" question.

I was asking if anybody has watched him or if they are just going off what analysts say? It's nothing personal. Calm down

3 minutes ago, King Colt said:

You don't think anyone said that? I just wrote it was said by people on the NFL Network and I believe are paid well for THEIR opinion, how much for yours?

I've been listening the whole time and didn't hear anyone say that. Nothing personal. Calm down

56 minutes ago, CR91 said:

this was a conservative safe pick. You cant tell me irsay wasnt in some way pressuring grigs for this pick. no way kelly was the best player on their board. I do like the pick though

On Mayock's top 100 players, Kelly was rated 15th, so I CAN tell you that it's a possibility.   :-)

21 minutes ago, weslo1812 said:

With his bummed knee, where is the guarentee he'll be the player he was? And yeah Kelly might not have been the sexiest pick, but for his position and what the Colts needed and how he's peformed. He was a very solid pick. He's very good at his repective position. Do you wanna continue to risk Luck getting hammered and possibly suffering an injury he could never come back from??? That's the face of our franchise right there. And about 90% of the reason we've had the success we have so early. Sometimes you gotta make these kinda moves. And there was very good reason behind this one whether you or anyone else that bashes it understands that or not. And was a guy like Myles Jack especially with his knee injury now a can't miss type of prospect? There will be plenty of of good defensive players.in rounds 2 and 3.

Luck, Big Ben, and Romo will always get hit and beat up because they hold the ball to the last second. Regardless of how great the O-line is those 3 will scramble and try to make something out of nothing. Grigson reached for Kelly IMO. No way was he a better prospect then Lawson or Jack. I'm done talking about Grigson because it only frustrates me. I'll root for Kelly because he's a Colt, but I'm still livid about the pick being a offensive player.

1 minute ago, rockywoj said:

On Mayock's top 100 players, Kelly was rated 15th, so I CAN tell you that it's a possibility.   :-)

I would have liked Myles, but seeing how he's not going in the first, here's hoping he falls to us. Surprised dobbs Billings and Robinson didn't go in the first

1 minute ago, SP_21 said:

I think you're trying to point it at Luck now just to have reason to criticize the pick and say it wasn't good important. Yeah Luck held onto the ball too long at,times. But alot more often than not it's due to the O line not holding up. That's the major issue. And what guarentee  is there that the other guys available there at 18 would have made us alot more better than Kelly? Especially Jack with his knee, alot of uncertainty around him right now. And if Kelly comes in and plays to his capabilities and stays healthy, his potential impact on our offense and keeping Luck upright could and quite possible will be just as big if not probably bigger than the impact any defensive player would have had there that was available.

2 minutes ago, weslo1812 said:

I think you're trying to point it at Luck now just to have reason to criticize the pick and say it wasn't good important. Yeah Luck held onto the ball too long at,times. But alot more often than not it's due to the O line not holding up. That's the major issue. And what guarentee  is there that the other guys available there at 18 would have made us alot more better than Kelly? Especially Jack with his knee, alot of uncertainty around him right now. And if Kelly comes in and plays to his capabilities and stays healthy, his potential impact on our offense and keeping Luck upright could and quite possible will be just as big if not probably bigger than the impact any defensive player would have had there that was available.

Don't agree about the impact of a center matching any defensive player and I know the line isn't good. There are other centers available but not many Myles Jacks, Jackson III, Lawson, etc. 

I'm done arguing though. Hopefully Kelly plays well for us for a long time. 

I'm not a fan. Let's sit back and watch Martin be there at 48 maybe  even in the 3rd I'm not convinced Kelly would not have been there at 48. He certainly wasn't the best player on the board at 18. Epic fail. 

The end of the sesson the board was upset we didn't lose more games to get a better pick. This board was reallly mad winning games. I wasn't one of the lose for a better pick gang. What's the point of a better pick now? We had our chance and we took a C

The talent on the D still left on the board. Impact players is what we need that was the cry on this board. We won't have a shot at a pick this high in years. I heard it from a lot of people. We reach for  Kelly at 18 and everyone's happy with that? 

I know it was a need. I totally agree the biggest need on the team. It MIGHT solve our problem at C. I don't think Kelly is that much better than Martin if at all. Seumola is right behind them. Kelly is not guaranteed multiple pro bowls because Kiper said so. Does anyone really think he was the most talented player available? Spence, Billings, Jack, Jackson, our pick of the litter on D. 

I'm surprised by the pick and more than a little disappointed. Did Grig's change his draft stragety or suddenly find hidden value in the C position?  Throw out the QB's we should have the 16th best player in this draft and we don't  I can't get behind that. We should have walked with one of the best 10 players on D. 

6 minutes ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

Luck, Big Ben, and Romo will always get hit and beat up because they hold the ball to the last second. Regardless of how great the O-line is those 3 will scramble and try to make something out of nothing. Grigson reached for Kelly IMO. No way was he a better prospect then Lawson or Jack. I'm done talking about Grigson because it only frustrates me. I'll root for Kelly because he's a Colt, but I'm still livid about the pick being a offensive player.

It's not always matter of him hanging onto to,the ball too long though. I'd say that's case maybe 25-30% of the time if that. And could part of that also be because receivers weren't getting open? Also it's obvious that any QB is gonna get hit at times no matter how good.the O line. But is it not worth the investment a guy to help protect the face of your Franchise? Even if Luck still gets hit, which he will, its inevitable. But if adding Kelly helps us cut the number of hits and sacks takes by a good margin at least, therefore minimizing the chances for him to suffer a serious injury. Don't ya think that is worth it. Especially when your talking about the FACE of your franchise!!! And it's not just all about that either. This can help our offense as a whole become more effective in the pass and run game. Helping us to be able to sustain drives and not have the defense on the field 75% of the game. And there is still plenty of opportunity to make the defense better. We got 90%, of our picks left. So people acting like it's the end now for our defense just because we didn't use our first pick on D is stupid and rediculous quite frankly.

11 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

Don't agree about the impact of a center matching any defensive player and I know the line isn't good. There are other centers available but not many Myles Jacks, Jackson III, Lawson, etc. 

I'm done arguing though. Hopefully Kelly plays well for us for a long time. 

But who's to guarentee that Jack, Lawson or Jackson III turn it on the type of player you think they might??? There woukd have been risk involved in taking any of those guys as well. They by no means would be any more guanrtee at thier position than Kelly at his. And outside of Jack IF he's healthy and returns to form, I don't really think Jackson or Lawson were can't miss type of guys that you can rarely find. So Outside of Jack maybe...I don't think we really missed out on a whole lot talent wise.

1 minute ago, weslo1812 said:

It's not always matter of him hanging onto to,the ball too long though. I'd say that's case maybe 25-30% of the time if that. And could part of that also be because receivers weren't getting open? Also it's obvious that any QB is gonna get hit at times no matter how good.the O line. But is it not worth the investment a guy to help protect the face of your Franchise? Even if Luck still gets hit, which he will, its inevitable. But if adding Kelly helps us cut the number of hits and sacks takes by a good margin at least, therefore minimizing the chances for him to suffer a serious injury. Don't ya think that is worth it. Especially when your talking about the FACE of your franchise!!! And it's not just all about that either. This can help our offense as a whole become more effective in the pass and run game. Helping us to be able to sustain drives and not have the defense on the field 75% of the game. And there is still plenty of opportunity to make the defense better. We got 90%, of our picks left. So people acting like it's the end now for our defense just because we didn't use our first pick on D is stupid and rediculous quite frankly.

We pick again at 48. How many C's will be there? I'm guessing all of them besides Kelly. How many DL LB & DB will be gone?

People are missing the boat. I don't think anyone's saying Kelly isn't one of the best C's. He is. He was not the best player there at 18. Those guys will not be around at 48 but there will be players comparable to Kelly. Martin Whitehair Westerman Seumola all figure to be C's the talent difference between those players and the defensive players at LB and DB is going to be much larger. You could argue on the DL the gap won't be as large I'd disagree but in this draft you'd have a arguement 

Not my first choice that was still available. I still had Lawson, Nkemdiche, Whitehair ahead of him but still good pick in my opinion. Like I said a while back....I think Holmes gets every chance to start and goes into TC as the starter but its his job to lose

2 minutes ago, akcolt said:

We pick again at 48. How many C's will be there? I'm guessing all of them besides Kelly. How many DL LB & DB will be gone?

People are missing the boat. I don't think anyone's saying Kelly isn't one of the best C's. He is. He was not the best player there at 18. Those guys will not be around at 48 but there will be players comparable to Kelly. Martin Whitehair Westerman Seumola all figure to be C's the talent difference between those players and the defensive players at LB and DB is going to be much larger. You could argue on the DL the gap won't be as large I'd disagree but in this draft you'd have a arguement 

Noah Spence, Andrew Billings, Robert Nkemdiche, Myles Jack, all still available.  Chances at least one of those guys is available at 48 is decent, in my opinion.

6 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I really like the Kelly pick, but there are a few things that confuse me.  As Dustin pointed out, Grigson saying they've been targeting Kelly suggests they don't really go BPA.  In addition, this second tweet also suggests Grigson isn't going BPA

Who really cares if Grigson says that he drafts BPA then doesn't, or says that he drafts for need but then goes BPA? 

Just now, DougDew said:

Who really cares if Grigson says that he drafts BPA then doesn't, or says that he drafts for need but then goes BPA? 

Just a point of discussion.  Many on the boards are adamant that we must go BPA and, for example, defend last year's pick of Dorsett by claiming we went BPA.  But this suggests Grigson might not actually be going BPA

3 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Just a point of discussion.  Many on the boards are adamant that we must go BPA and, for example, defend last year's pick of Dorsett by claiming we went BPA.  But this suggests Grigson might not actually be going BPA

I was getting the sense that Grigson was being criticized for saying that he drafts one way then goes the other.  To that I say, who cares what he says? 

It seemed  people were pointing out an inconsistency as a way of looking for something to criticize.

This was a good pick. Those who are salty that we didn't go defense don't fully understand that our lack of a running game is hurting our offense and defense a lot. Good teams usually have to be able to run the football pretty well, very few exceptions to that. 

19 minutes ago, akcolt said:

I'm not a fan. Let's sit back and watch Martin be there at 48 maybe  even in the 3rd I'm not convinced Kelly would not have been there at 48. He certainly wasn't the best player on the board at 18. Epic fail. 

The end of the sesson the board was upset we didn't lose more games to get a better pick. This board was reallly mad winning games. I wasn't one of the lose for a better pick gang. What's the point of a better pick now? We had our chance and we took a C

The talent on the D still left on the board. Impact players is what we need that was the cry on this board. We won't have a shot at a pick this high in years. I heard it from a lot of people. We reach for  Kelly at 18 and everyone's happy with that? 

I know it was a need. I totally agree the biggest need on the team. It MIGHT solve our problem at C. I don't think Kelly is that much better than Martin if at all. Seumola is right behind them. Kelly is not guaranteed multiple pro bowls because Kiper said so. Does anyone really think he was the most talented player available? Spence, Billings, Jack, Jackson, our pick of the litter on D. 

I'm surprised by the pick and more than a little disappointed. Did Grig's change his draft stragety or suddenly find hidden value in the C position?  Throw out the QB's we should have the 16th best player in this draft and we don't  I can't get behind that. We should have walked with one of the best 10 players on D. 

And what to guarantee that one of those Defensive players would turn out to be a better player and or more impactful at thier position than Kelly??? People wanna put down the Kelly pick because talent wise he may not have been the best but then wanna act as if taking one of these projected top 10 defensive players would automatically turn out better for us. That is in no way a guarantee!!!