Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Any chance of Hasselbeck being in the HOF?

ColtsFanMikeC

I'm looking at Matt H's career stats right now.  I don't think he makes it to the HOF (unless he brings us a superbowl title this year), but I think he definitely has an argument to be on a final ballot someday:

Currently 22nd all-time in passing yards, and if he starts 2 more games he more likely than not breaks 36,000 all time passing yards.

He is tied for 33rd all-time in passing TDs, but if he plays 3 more games, he has a very good shot at cracking top 30 all-time (he is at 208, Jim Hart, Terry Bradshaw and John Brodie have 209, 212, and 214 respectively).

His all-time QBR is >82.0 (better than previous HOFers including Warren Moon, John Elway, Troy Aikman, Johnny U., Dan Fouts, Bart Starr, Bob Griese, Fran Tarkenton, Sid Luckman, Norm VanBrocklin, YA Tittle, Sammy Bough, Terry Bradshaw, Joe Namath, Bobby Layne, Bob Waterfield and George Blanda).

He is top-20 all time (19th, likely to move to 18th with just another 1-2 games) on all time completions.

He is one of only 3 QB's to ever win 3 straight games after age 40.

He is 16th all time in playoff starts, and lead Seattle to 6 playoff appearances in 8 seasons.  He lost a superbowl to Pittsburgh in one of the 10 most controversial games of all times, which the NFL later apologized to Hasselbeck directly for because their referees made multiple bad calls in the game to hand it to  Pittsburgh.

He has a good shot at moving into the top 30 most winningest starting QB's of all time (he is at 33, with 83 -- he needs 86 to be top 30).

I guess I knew Hasselbeck had a pretty good career, but I didn't realize he is in the top 30 in just about every significant (positive) statistical categories for QBs.  Like I said, unless he somehow leads us to the SB this year, I don't think he gets into Canton, but I think his name has to be in future conversations.

I'd be very surprised if he made it to Canton

I would be shocked, too.  However, looking at his stats, he has put up better stats than many HOF QBs (sure he doesn't have a ring and he spent a good chunk of his career in a 'different era', but the reason I posted this was that I was pretty amazed to see him at the point in his career where with just a few more games he will start moving up on historic lists and has a good shot to finish top 30 in every major positive QB category, top 25 in most).

I'm looking at Matt H's career stats right now.  I don't think he makes it to the HOF (unless he brings us a superbowl title this year), but I think he definitely has an argument to be on a final ballot someday:

Currently 22nd all-time in passing yards, and if he starts 2 more games he more likely than not breaks 36,000 all time passing yards.

He is tied for 33rd all-time in passing TDs, but if he plays 3 more games, he has a very good shot at cracking top 30 all-time (he is at 208, Jim Hart, Terry Bradshaw and John Brodie have 209, 212, and 214 respectively).

His all-time QBR is >82.0 (better than previous HOFers including Warren Moon, John Elway, Troy Aikman, Johnny U., Dan Fouts, Bart Starr, Bob Griese, Fran Tarkenton, Sid Luckman, Norm VanBrocklin, YA Tittle, Sammy Bough, Terry Bradshaw, Joe Namath, Bobby Layne, Bob Waterfield and George Blanda).

He is top-20 all time (19th, likely to move to 18th with just another 1-2 games) on all time completions.

He is 16th all time in playoff starts, and lead Seattle to 6 playoff appearances in 8 seasons.  He lost a superbowl to Pittsburgh in one of the 10 most controversial games of all times, which the NFL later apologized to Hasselbeck directly for because their referees made multiple bad calls in the game to hand it to  Pittsburgh.

He has a good shot at moving into the top 30 most winningest starting QB's of all time (he is at 33, with 83 -- he needs 86 to be top 30).

I guess I knew Hasselbeck had a pretty good career, but I didn't realize he is in the top 30 in just about every significant (positive) statistical categories for QBs.  Like I said, unless he somehow leads us to the SB this year, I don't think he gets into Canton, but I think his name has to be in future conversations.

I don't think he reaches the Hall of Fame.

But if they ever make one,  Hasselbeck might reach the Hall of the Very, Very Good.    

And there's nothing wrong with that....     Matt has had a heck of a career!

I don't think he reaches the Hall of Fame.

But if they ever make one,  Hasselbeck might reach the Hall of the very, very good.    

And there's nothing wrong with that....     Matt has had a heck of a career!

Yeah I agree. I think he is in that Very Good all-time category. He really should've won in 2005 but it just didn't happen. He has had a solid career and is proven how valuable he is to us now at 40 years old.

When you look at a player like this who is stat worthy has had a long career you have to ask yourself (thinking about it from a HOF perspective) did he do anything that changed the game?  And, as much as I like MH (which I was not sold on him as a back-up last year) the answer to that is no.

So, while I think he deserves a lot of accolades, I don't think he quite deserves to go into the HOF.

It's a good question though.  I would not have thought MH has those type of stats.

When you look at a player like this who is stat worthy has had a long career you have to ask yourself (thinking about it from a HOF perspective) did he do anything that changed the game?  And, as much as I like MH (which I was not sold on him as a back-up last year) the answer to that is no.

So, while I think he deserves a lot of accolades, I don't think he quite deserves to go into the HOF.

It's a good question though.  I would not have thought MH has those type of stats.

It really surprised me as well.  I guess he personality didn't draw a ton of attention to himself either, so it's probably why he's flown under the radar a bit.

CFMC....It depends on how the rest of this season goes...

What If Andrew cant come back (I don't like the words 'lacerated kidney', you know what I mean?)

No one would be afraid to roll old man Matt out there in a playoff game

There are categories = Poor, Below Average, Average, Above Average, Good, Very Good, Great. All-time Hass is Very Good (not a HOFamer) and as of today he is Good. I would have no problem with him playing even against the Jags or Texans at this point. Only thing is can his body hold up. Those 2 games are Dec 13th = Jags and Dec 20th = Texans. I would rather see Andrew out there for those games but would trust Hass if he's healthy.

MVP mention and now a HOF'er. I heart this forum.

Honestly, if he won the SB in 2005, there is no doubt in my mind he at least gets narrowed down into the top 25 in voting for multiple years.  Like I said, I don't think he makes it to the HOF (unless somehow he runs the table this year and wins a SB as our starter).  That said, his stats are pretty shocking (at least they were to me) -- he will finish his career, more likely than not, in the top 30 in every major (positive) passing category. 

His raw numbers are equal to or better than many QBs who have made the HOF in the past and has never really played on a great team (at least not at the skill positions).  For example, he's got more passing yards than Jim Kelly when Hasselbeck never played on a team with a pro-bowl WR (when he was the starter, he was stuck with average WRs throughout his career -- whereas Kelly had 2 HOFs with him towards the beginning of his career -- James Lofton, Andre Reed, and HOF RB Thurman Thomas, and almost always had Reed and Thomas on his roster).  For the record, Jim Kelly never won a SB either.

Again like I said, I don't think Hasselbeck makes it unless he somehow pulls it off for us this year.  However, it really isn't that far-fetched.  The guy has put up some shockingly good numbers over his career and will, more likely than not, continue to climb up the ladder of his all-time rank in several categories because he is so close to passing so many others on that list in multiple categories.

I agree with you in regard to most of this, but if you really look into it, although Hasselbeck has been in the league for a lot of years, he has spent at least 5 primarily as a backup, and of the 10 when he was starter, he only was able to play a full 16 games four times (3 of which, he was a pro-bowler).  So, in the grand scheme of things, Hasselbeck put all those numbers up while only really playing <10 full seasons.  Sure, his injuries might not bode well for him, but if you actually look at the time he actually played and was not hurt or a back-up, he had a very impressive career (to his credit, he has been a back-up to Favre and Luck).  Also keep in mind, his best WRs, prior to coming to Indy were Koren Robinson, Darrell Jackson, Bobby Ingram, Nate Burleson, Joe Jerivicious, and Deion Branch (a bunch of average, at best, players).

As far as having to change the game -- I tend to agree with you, but looking at many other QB's who are in the HOF -- I'm not sure that any of them really 'changed the game' more than Hasselbeck (who really hasn't) -- but other than lose multiple consecutive SBs, I don't know what Jim Kelly has done to change the game.  Other than be a part of an amazing team that won multiple SBs, I don't know that Troy Aikman really did all that much to change the game (same goes for Terry Bradshaw). 

In all honesty, I think the only QBs who Hasselbeck has been in the league for during a significant portion of his career, the only ones who have really 'changed the game' are Peyton, Brady, and Favre.  Rogers is making his case, and I think Cam Newton and Luck have the potential to do the same.  Otherwise, I think players like Brees, Rivers, Eli, etc. have all put up good stats (and Eli and Brees' Superbowl victories probably bode well for the HOF), but I really don't think those guys have done any more than Hasselbeck to change or revolutionize the NFL.

No, he's no hall of famer. Good player, and a good guy. But I don't see why he would even get the nod over someone like Drew Bledsoe. 

He has a win percentage 3 points higher (54% to 51%), has thrown 56 less interceptions and has a career QBR of 82.5 compared to 77.7 are a few reasons as to why.  Plus Hasselbeck has been pretty much a class act his whole career, while Bledsoe didn't always have the best media relations.  Again, I say right in my original post that I don't think Hasselbeck gets in, but really just wanted to point out what a tremendous career he has had, even if it has gone under the radar.

Honestly, if he won the SB in 2005, there is no doubt in my mind he at least gets narrowed down into the top 25 in voting for multiple years.  Like I said, I don't think he makes it to the HOF (unless somehow he runs the table this year and wins a SB as our starter).  That said, his stats are pretty shocking (at least they were to me) -- he will finish his career, more likely than not, in the top 30 in every major (positive) passing category. 

His raw numbers are equal to or better than many QBs who have made the HOF in the past and has never really played on a great team (at least not at the skill positions).  For example, he's got more passing yards than Jim Kelly when Hasselbeck never played on a team with a pro-bowl WR (when he was the starter, he was stuck with average WRs throughout his career -- whereas Kelly had 2 HOFs with him towards the beginning of his career -- James Lofton, Andre Reed, and HOF RB Thurman Thomas, and almost always had Reed and Thomas on his roster).  For the record, Jim Kelly never won a SB either.

Again like I said, I don't think Hasselbeck makes it unless he somehow pulls it off for us this year.  However, it really isn't that far-fetched.  The guy has put up some shockingly good numbers over his career and will, more likely than not, continue to climb up the ladder of his all-time rank in several categories because he is so close to passing so many others on that list in multiple categories.

I agree with you in regard to most of this, but if you really look into it, although Hasselbeck has been in the league for a lot of years, he has spent at least 5 primarily as a backup, and of the 10 when he was starter, he only was able to play a full 16 games four times (3 of which, he was a pro-bowler).  So, in the grand scheme of things, Hasselbeck put all those numbers up while only really playing <10 full seasons.  Sure, his injuries might not bode well for him, but if you actually look at the time he actually played and was not hurt or a back-up, he had a very impressive career (to his credit, he has been a back-up to Favre and Luck).  Also keep in mind, his best WRs, prior to coming to Indy were Koren Robinson, Darrell Jackson, Bobby Ingram, Nate Burleson, Joe Jerivicious, and Deion Branch (a bunch of average, at best, players).

As far as having to change the game -- I tend to agree with you, but looking at many other QB's who are in the HOF -- I'm not sure that any of them really 'changed the game' more than Hasselbeck (who really hasn't) -- but other than lose multiple consecutive SBs, I don't know what Jim Kelly has done to change the game.  Other than be a part of an amazing team that won multiple SBs, I don't know that Troy Aikman really did all that much to change the game (same goes for Terry Bradshaw). 

In all honesty, I think the only QBs who Hasselbeck has been in the league for during a significant portion of his career, the only ones who have really 'changed the game' are Peyton, Brady, and Favre.  Rogers is making his case, and I think Cam Newton and Luck have the potential to do the same.  Otherwise, I think players like Brees, Rivers, Eli, etc. have all put up good stats (and Eli and Brees' Superbowl victories probably bode well for the HOF), but I really don't think those guys have done any more than Hasselbeck to change or revolutionize the NFL.

I wouldn't consider Hasselbeck for the Hall even if the Seahawks had won the SB. Hall of Fame of good guys he would be a lock.

He has a win percentage 3 points higher (54% to 51%), has thrown 56 less interceptions and has a career QBR of 82.5 compared to 77.7 are a few reasons as to why.  Plus Hasselbeck has been pretty much a class act his whole career, while Bledsoe didn't always have the best media relations.  Again, I say right in my original post that I don't think Hasselbeck gets in, but really just wanted to point out what a tremendous career he has had, even if it has gone under the radar.

Bledsoe was also a class act, that much I can say for sure. Very classy guy. He had nearly 10,000 more yards than Hasselbeck. Made more 1 pro bowl. Threw 43 more TDs. Same number of Super Bowl starts and wins (although Bledsoe won the AFCCG to get Brady's 1st ring). The lower QBR comes as a price to logging his best years before they changed rules to make the game more QB friendly. Both good players, great men, neither is a hall of famer imo. If each had won their Super Bowl appearances - it would be a borderline situation. 

while i agree that i dont think he will

but what if he wins it this year, somehow, at 40 yrs old....assuming Luck ends up being out the rest of the season(I pray not)..........would he then?

Interesting to ponder. Can't say, because if I say no, that does refute my initial "maybe" assessment, so I'll say maybe again.. How's that for going out on a limb?