Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Biggest Concern after NE(No Panic)

Mr.Debonair

Mines would have to be lack of pass rush and TOs. We got absolutely no pass rush on Brady, I thought Mathis coming back would provide a boost but not at all, even before his injury. Brady was comfortable back in the pocket and picked us apart. This can't continue for the season, QBs will continue to toast us.

We really need to start forcing more turnovers too.

Mines would have to be lack of pass rush and TOs. We got absolutely no pass rush on Brady, I thought Mathis coming back would provide a boost but not at all, even before his injury. Brady was comfortable back in the pocket and picked us apart. This can't continue for the season, QBs will continue to toast us.

Mines are the lack of pass rush and poor coverage (CBs). However Brady had years to pass, so it made CBs' work harder.

1.We traded our 2nd round pick and still have no Corners to speak of until Vontae steps up after getting healthy, if he does step up

2.We have no O Line to speak of, Castonzo is not and never will be a franchise Left Tackle

3.We may have to suffer with Arians as O Coordinator for another year or two (I like the guy personally but he should be banned for life from calling plays)

4.We wasted 14 million dollars on a 4-3 DE in a 3-4 scheme who has 2 sacks through 8 games (I dont think he is close to 100 percent)

5.We have a couple O Linemen playing out of position

6.Injuries, Hilton was limping after a touchdown catch in the 4th quarter

1.We traded our 2nd round pick and still have no Corners to speak of until Vontae steps up after getting healthy, if he does step up

2.We have no O Line to speak of, Castonzo is not and never will be a franchise Left Tackle

3.We may have to suffer with Arians as O Coordinator for another year or two (I like the guy personally but he should be banned for life from calling plays)

4.We wasted 14 million dollars on a 4-3 DE in a 3-4 scheme who has 2 sacks through 8 games (I dont think he is close to 100 percent)

Yeah Castonzo needs to move for sure he's just not LT material. Hopefully we get healthy downthe stretch

What scares me are the holes we have on both sides.The Offensive Line is very inconsistent and lacks talent, the Defense can't pressure the QB, misses a lot of tackles and can't force any turnovers. Even with our starters (Powers & Davis) our secondary scares no one. Too bad the Packers stole Casey Heyward from us in the last draft he plays great and even former Colts CB busts like Tim Jennings and Jacob Lacey contribute on other teams. With just three picks in next years draft it will be tough to fill all holes even with a lot of cap space.

That there is Way too much expected of this young team at present

I agree; reality check folks, most of us would have been happy with 4 ot 5 wins. We knew the Colts were a work in progress and it is amazing where we are today! We are double the # of wins Manning produced in his 1st year with a stronger team around him. sit back and enjoy the ride.... we have a chance at the playoffs, and no one can say they honestly believed that would be possible back in April.....playoffs! Enjoy...it will only get better with time and experience.

1. You can't evaluate an injured player who isn't playing so saying he hasn't stepped up is rediculous, as are most of your rants about the team. Vonte is considered a top flight talent who needed a fresh start who just happened to get injured. Happens

2. The line is bad but AC is the farthest thing from the problem on this line. You get 2 guards who have quality talent and you will see the improvement in this line with AC as the anchor ten fold.

3. What's your issue with his play calling? Having a rookie qb, rookie wr's and a really bad oline doesn't give you great options does it? Oh yeah, havi g a patriots team pull away doesn't let you run very much. Same goes for all the teams in the NFL. If you fall behind, you PASS the ball.

4. Have no disagreement with this statement. Felt it was stupid to keep DF at that price for 1 yr with a change in scheme and at his age. That was a bad management decision.

5. Shipley needs to play at center and Satele needs to be the back up. You keep AC at LT and allow him to grow. We don't have guys out of position, we have 2 below avg guards, a RT who is questionably avg and a center who is better sitting on the bench. FA and/or the draft will resolve some issues here next year.

6. I seen him limping but on second shot, he seemed to be waking fine at the end. We will see but he had a heck of a game.

Lighten up and allow the team to grow, it young and inexperienced at most all positions, especially on offense. I swear you and ohiocolt are anti colts fans with all the griping and dislike of the players you spew here.

I disagree, I thought at times the Colts put pressure on Brady just that he made some good throws. Nothing you can do about it.

I agree funky one...we got a good push from Freeney and Mathis...Brady wont let you sack him....

...we couldnt cover a anybdy..and wioth 2 corners out..that's not breaking news

is it just me or was this a great game to learn from. We have a rookie qb that is going to have to make plays from inside the pocket. He needs to learn how to do this better, to win superbowls that is required for a quarterback to do. Yes our defense was horrid, but its one game and so far this year most of our games have been competitive.

Im seeing improvement over last years team. I have seen solid growth from our quarterback and our rookie WR's and TE's. We played a team that has superbowl aspirations. This year we are not a team with superbowl aspirations, we are a team with aspirations of improving week to week.

I think this will be a great learning experience for us. No panic here just hope we build on the first two drives on offense.

Im looking forward for the next game as I am sure so are the Colts

That's because our pass rush runs up-field and passes the QB before he even steps up in the pocket. The Patriots pass rush was right up the middle most times and had pressure on Luck all day. Why don't we rush up the middle more? If Freeney and Mathis end up 10 yards BEHIND the opposing QB, we may as well just drop them back into coverage. That would allow our inside linebackers to blitz more up the middle.

We have a real problem tackling, too....lots of play that would have been losses or short gains turned into bigger plays and 1st downs due to lack of tackling skills.

We ran the ball well in the 1st quarter, then stopped running....it's not like we were down 3 TDs at that point and had to pass.

Sorry, just venting....there were lots of missed opportunities yesterday. Plus I just HATE losing to NE!!

Honestly, I don't have any major concerns after that game. It went exactly how I expected it too.

The Patriots have a near unstoppable offense. No one forces the Patriots to punt that often, so I'm not sure why anyone thought we would miraculously do so. Our pass rush hasn't been the same all year long, and I think it has some to do with injuries to Freeney/Mathis, but I also think it has some to do with them still being out of position. Mathis has made an admirable adjustment, but Freeney just isn't the game changer he used to be. Hopefully it's just the Injuries.

On offense, we moved the ball very well. We ran the ball effectively, and save a few terrible rookie mistakes, our passing game was pretty good too. Unfortunately the game got out of hand too quickly for Luck to handle, and he started to force things a bit, which happens. We were going blow for blow with them up until the first pick 6, which was just a poor throw, where Luck had a lot of pressure, so he altered his throwing motion which caused the ball to sail on him. Talib was in position and made the play, and one heck of a return. 7 points for the Patriots.

The 2nd pick 6 was just a bad read and decision. I believe the pass was also a little behind the receiver. 7 more points for the Patriots. The Punt return, well....those happen, and I think that was the first one we allowed all season. Another 7 points to the Patriots.

So, if you take away those 21 points that we handed to them, the score would have been 38-24. That's probably a better scale as to how much better the Patriots are than us right now. About 2 touchdowns worth.

Now, I'm not making excuses or anything. We got squashed pretty good. I'm just saying the game wasn't quite as bad as the score makes it look.

Edit: I'll also add that I had no problem with the Patriots continuing to score late in the game. This is the NFL, if you can't stop them, that's your own fault.

The same concerns are the same concerns LOL....We knew in May that we would have some growing pains moving to a 3-4 and it shows when we play elite teams....we have a horrific secondary...the whole d with the exception of our ILB leaves much to be desired...but we're still a playoff caliber team.

My concerns are pretty much the same as they have been.

Luck needs to stop forcing the ball into tight coverage and throwing picks

Agreed. He needs to stop keying in on Wayne so much

The new defense scheme has and will continue to kill Freeny & Mathis sack abilities.

New England's line is as tough a challenge they'll face this year, in terms of rushing the passer. I don't think yesterday's inability to generate a rush had anything to do with whether or not they play in a 3-point stance or standing up.

The O-line is still killing any type of good ground game.

I disagree. The line was run blocking well. Arians gave up on it too soon and played right into their hands. He allowed the game to get out of hand with his play calling. BB knew that Arians just couldn't resist challenging his secondary deep and dialed up plenty of blitzes to counter it. Time consuming drives that featured the short passing game and running the ball effectively was the only way I saw us winning this game. It didn't happen and no adjustments were made by the coaching staff to counter their blitzing

Special teams needs help.

Yep. Some things never change

The O-line produces way too many behind the line of scrimmage yard losses by not picking up their blocking assignments and opening holes.

Freeny and Mathis have always made more plays when all their focus is on getting to the Qb.. and not playing this new hybrid LB combination. I also believe this is why the have been injured more than usual.

The O-line produces way too many behind the line of scrimmage yard losses by not picking up their blocking assignments and opening holes.

We gashed them consistently in the 1st quarter when we stuck with the run. The run blocking hasn't been as much of an issue for several weeks now. Pass blocking is another story

Freeny and Mathis have always made more plays when all their focus is on getting to the Qb.. and not playing this new hybrid LB combination. I also believe this is why the have been injured more than usual.

They're still rushing the passer with a hand in the dirt like 90% of the time. The new scheme and their respective role changes in said scheme are being way overstated.

We gashed them consistently in the 1st quarter when we stuck with the run. The run blocking hasn't been as much of an issue for several weeks now. Pass blocking is another story

(The first run plays worked because the Pats where looking for the pass and got caught slipping. After that.. it was lights out like usual)

They're still rushing the passer with a hand in the dirt like 90% of the time. The new scheme and their respective role changes in said scheme are being way overstated.

(Everyone will have an opinion on either the drop back in pass sometimes Vs bringing it to the tackles every snap.. there by wearing them down and getting more sacks works or not. I prefer the old way.. it had better results IMO..)

When Arians brings everyone in tight it is dead as a running play, especially against NE`s heavy linebackers.

Did we ever run wide to the right? Duh, you have to make their Big LB`s defend sideline to sideline.

Andrew had LOTS of time to throw, just not 15-20 yards downfield. Way too predictable on that, why they tipped so many, THAT and Andrew DOESN`T Lead his passers like he Must to be an ELITE QB.

I have no problem with our guards or center. Shipley is way to slow to execute all the blocks at this level. NOT NFL SB Contender material AT ALL.

We needed many more quick hitters to slow them down. BA, that is a pretty simple adjustment!

We are 3 CB`s, a Safety, and an up the middle crushing NT away from a good D.

Moala & Redding are good enough IMO.

We are 2-3 more good drafts and those needed years of experience away from being Hard to Beat. A lot of teams never seem to get there.

I dont have any concerns I didnt already have before the game.

I thought the secondary was bad....it was. I still thought the O-line was suspect in pass protection....it was. I thought we expect Luck to do too much for a rookie.....I still think it after that game.

Honestly this shouldn't be a surprise. The holes were there in every game but the teams we've been playing the past few weeks really weren't capable of exploiting them. We'll be fine going forward since the only potent team we have left is Houston. Doesnt mean the Bills or Titans cant exploit them but we should be able to cover them up easier against those types of teams.

Having said that I'm still happy how well this team has played this season and excited for the future. Even if they only win one more game and get to 7-9 they've done better than anyone expected including myself (thought we'd go 6-10).

I want us to make the playoffs but I'm really not going to be crying if they don't. I think this team has shown signs of big time potential and with a team this young, that's about all you can ask for.

Lack of big plays outside of the offense. For years we have depended on a qb who can take us 80 yards every drive. Last that was a huge problem and this year while better at it than last luck still can't do that every drive in every game, no rookie qb can. We need to find more play makers on defense and special teams to give luck a shorter field at times.