Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Titans DB Babineaux- Not wowed by Luck's performance

Flash7

Babineaux, of the Tenessee Titans has recently said that Luck is just a rookie quarterback. He is right of course, but what was interesting to me is that, first, he was talking about Luck --and if he is just a rookie-- then I'm not sure why he would be talking about him, unless he was already thought of as a REAL threat.

Secondly, Babineaux was talking about how to defend against Luck, with an entire defensive approach. I thought that it was funny that he is forced to think about this so much in advance of when the two teams would play one another.

I don't think that Babineaux said anything wrong. In fact, what he said is right on cue. It's clear, however, that teams have taken notice of Luck's performance. Here is the blog.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/08/14/titans-db-babineaux-not-amazed-by-andrew-lucks-nfl-start/

I was going to make a snappy remark about Luck thinking to himself- " Babi-who?".

Then I realized that Luck studies enough that he probably has already watched film on all the DBs in the division and likely has a little notecard somewhere on each one of them noting strengths, weaknesses, and the best way to burn each of them when we play.

To be honest I thought the coverage of his game has been very underwhelming. Now I'm an RG3 supporter but the reviews after his game was glowing...quite a difference. Also last year the reviews of Cam were glowing. This performance I think was very unappreciated in the media IMO so I don't know what this kid GAB no mo is talking about. I don't think anyone has really hyped up Luck in the media outside of before he was drafted. Perhaps he read this forum? lol kidding...Luck had an outstanding performance and I think he will be a fine qb but I think he will be under-appreciated in the media because he is not as flamboyount or a story like some other qbs. He is going to just be (hopefully) crazy good and consistant. Perhaps Matt Ryan like...until he explodes on a PM level (i hope).

I am as big a PM supporter as there is but even PM didn't get a lot of pub because INDY isn't a big market so these pundits spout crap about lesser qbs and teams all day. Its about viewers. Not until PM and the Colts become fan favorites across the nation did we have a big enough following to warrant the attention as one of the greatest. It is hard for me to not have Peyton here...I could watch him play all day and believe he will still be successful but having Luck follow him we are spoiled...and A TON of people are going to resent that.

Babinoux is just stirring something up that he didn't need to even comment about. Not saying he isn't correct but if he goes out and stops Luck...well nothing special just a rookie right??? But if Luck lights him up...well he's got egg on his face. No win commenting like that! Preparing for a rookie any differently than Tom Brady or a veteren is like taking someone for granted or not preparing your best with respect. It will lead to you not being successful imo. To me you respect and give your full respect to every qb just like a Brady...knowing you have to give it your all...then those rookie qbs will play and show themselves and you set yourself up for success...playing down to your competition usually gets you beat.

A.Luck and RGIII are polar opposites in terms of personality.....I feel kinda bad about it now because I did support RGIII and got upset when Colts fans were on blogs and IndyStar callin' RGIII arrogant.....I didnt believe it...but he is. He'll provide more quotes and stir up more attention than Luck...if you notice, Andrew is VERY consistent with the media...very uninteresting.. so he wont get as much attention...he's going to focus on his game and remain humble....I really like this cat.

Oh dear. If you have to make a comment about the guy, you must be thinking about him. And as you're not making these comments about Gabbert or Schaub, must mean that you feel threatened by his limited successful showing.

Seems strange to me, but whatever.

I'm pretty sure this is something almost every defender is going to agree with...it's going to take both offensive and defensive execution for success to happen. Besides, 12 is just a rookie, who played in a preseason game against the Rams. I don't like the Titans, but Babineaux didn't say anything wrong. We'll probably see the two of them joking around pre or post-game whenever they face off in the regular season, no matter how many TDs or INTs Luck throws against him.

I dislike Baby-no about as much as I dislike Courtland Finnegan......He def feels threatened....A.Luck and the WR Corps is no joke...watching them was so much fun last week...I'm looking fwd to seeing how they react to the Steelers DBs....

What DB's? The DB's who made the Broncos WR's famous by giving up the game winning play by being stiffed arm & burnt to Pay Dirt? lol

What DB's? The DB's who made the Broncos WR's famous by giving up the game winning play by being stiffed arm & burnt to Pay Dirt? lol

I blame the arrogance of Dick Labeau for their playoff loss ....they didnt respect Tebow at all and while I think Tebow is NOT good there was no respect being given a'tall...and Ryan Clark couldnt play either.

I blame the arrogance of Dick Labeau for their playoff loss ....they didnt respect Tebow at all and while I think Tebow is NOT good there was no respect being given a'tall...and Ryan Clark couldnt play either.

I know. But they only really have maybe 2 Good DB's now. didn't they release Willie Gay? So now it's just Taylor (Getting Old) & I think McFadden

I think Luck will surprise the bears. Not saying we will win that game of course.

with Urlacher having his knee scoped today, there is a good chance he dont play in week 1. right now the bears are hopefull that he could play against the colts but are not necesarilly counting on it. i think you will agree, that urlacher is the heart and soul of that defense. he is basically they peyton manning of defenses. and how i always thought of manning i dont think urlacher is human lol. so if he dont play our chances of winning that game just increased and it may not be by much but the chances got better.

A.Luck and RGIII are polar opposites in terms of personality.....I feel kinda bad about it now because I did support RGIII and got upset when Colts fans were on blogs and IndyStar callin' RGIII arrogant.....I didnt believe it...but he is. He'll provide more quotes and stir up more attention than Luck...if you notice, Andrew is VERY consistent with the media...very uninteresting.. so he wont get as much attention...he's going to focus on his game and remain humble....I really like this cat.

I'm not sure if I'd call RG3 arrogant but he's definetly someone who's trying to sell himself.

Luck, not so much at this point. Manning was kinda arrogant but in a humorous way and he definetly sold his brand as well.

Its funny because my wife asked me the other day why doesn't Luck have any commercials out and my response to her was that he is worried about winning football games, not making money.

To me it seems like the two (Luck & RGIII) will always be compared and rightfully so but in my opinion it seems like the more humble, low-key guy tends to do better. Now granted Manning did do commercials but they were always self-deprecating. I mean come on "Cut that Meat!" and when he catches the apron. . . to me it said alot about his character, but the gatorade commerical of RGIII is so over the top. . . .maybe i'm just hatin and wanting "my boy" to get some attention but I think when all is said in done these two QB's careers will be polar opposites just like their personalities

And to Babineaux. . . .its amazing that #12 is in his head already and he's only played one pre-season game. Someones scared!

It's this kind of attitude about Luck that I'm seeing all over the place in other forums, message boards, comments, etc. Basically, Luck was in a no-win situation:

1.) If Luck wins (which he did), people blow it off as the Rams being a bad team, never mind the fact they're a professional football team with Jeff Fisher and a strong front-4.

2.) If Luck loses, they of course laugh at him.

Next game at Pittsburgh will be a huge test to prove some of these doubters wrong, assuming Luck plays for a decent amount.

I'd love to see Andrew Luck in commercials...but you know who he really reminds me of.....Tom Brady...now dont throw any rocks at me, but A.Luck is very cool and laid back....He's has no desire to be i hella commericials...but he's going to get his paper....who doesn't love a winner?

Babineaux is just another one of those players that NO ONE (except his mom) will notice when they are out of the league.

I agree Luck didn't set the world on fire, but there is no argument he handled his first game well.

10-16 that really should have been 12 or 13 of 16 if Collie, Fleener, (forget the 3rd) would have caught the balls that hit them in their hands. Plus, the other 2 were purposely thrown away. NO sacks! Even if you ignore his 1st TD pass, he looked comfortable, was VERY aware of pass rushes, was VERY accurate with his throws, and seemed excited and humble.

How the heck can you really ask for any more from a rookie?

Babyknow should have kept his thoughts to himself. he has just now painted a target on his back. Andrew won't forget this.... I know I wouldn't.

And to Babineaux. . . .its amazing that #12 is in his head already and he's only played one pre-season game. Someones scared!

To be fair the NFL AM talking heads probably asked him about Luck. All he really said was Luck is still a rook (true) and that they'd try to change it up and confuse him. Just very basic stuff.

“He’s a rookie quarterback, let’s not overlook that,” he told “NFL AM” Tuesday morning.

The Titans play Luck’s Colts twice this season and Babineaux will have to play a role in slowing down the No. 1 overall selection.

“The fact that he has some experience and able to move an offense certainly is a credit to him as a quarterback, but certainly it’s going to come with total team defense,” he said. “We got to mix the looks up confuse him a little bit, play tight coverage on the back end and give our guys an extra second to make sure we make him uncomfortable. The bottom line is turnovers is what is going to help win and be the difference maker in any game this year, so we have to continue to make that a point of emphasis.”

To be fair the NFL AM talking heads probably asked him about Luck. All he really said was Luck is still a rook (true) and that they'd try to change it up and confuse him. Just very basic stuff.

Exactly. Do people think that he stormed into the studio unannounced for the purpose of denigrating Luck? They were obviously interviewing him, asked him a dumb question, got a generic and utterly meaningless answer. Not even close to being bulletin board material.

Completely agree with Cardinal & Mac. There is an entire thread about essentially nothing. He simply answered a question and gave a VERY reasonable answer. I am sorry but NFL defenses try to confuse quarterbacks all the time and while Luck was outstanding on Sunday, the fact is he is still a rookie and there will be challenging times ahead. Nothing Babineaux said was remotely close to derogatory.

Babineaux, of the Tenessee Titans has recently said that Luck is just a rookie quarterback. He is right of course, but what was interesting to me is that, first, he was talking about Luck --and if he is just a rookie-- then I'm not sure why he would be talking about him, unless he was already thought of as a REAL threat.

Secondly, Babineaux was talking about how to defend against Luck, with an entire defensive approach. I thought that it was funny that he is forced to think about this so much in advance of when the two teams would play one another.

I don't think that Babineaux said anything wrong. In fact, what he said is right on cue. It's clear, however, that teams have taken notice of Luck's performance. Here is the blog.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/08/14/titans-db-babineaux-not-amazed-by-andrew-lucks-nfl-start/

When luck gets him fired like manning did to a couple corners he will be impressed

Even if he said something that could be bulletin board material, Its would be hard to take a guy serious who has managed only 11 picks in 9 seasons

Got your head stuck in the Football Encyclodia again?

Even if Babineaux had said something in the ballpark of critical, it would be a story. But he did not and even still, the point you are making is off base. The guy has played nearly a decade in the NFL - that is someone who knows a thing or two about the game even if his INT totals do not meet your standards.

Got your head stuck in the Football Encyclodia again?

Even if Babineaux had said something in the ballpark of critical, it would be a story. But he did not and even still, the point you are making is off base. The guy has played nearly a decade in the NFL - that is someone who knows a thing or two about the game even if his INT totals do not meet your standards.

Heck I just read the article nothing was said that was bulletin board material