Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

colts release Brody Eldridge

CR91

I know they just want another arm with Luck and Harnish out, but this probably means Brody won't be back.

Injury issues?

I don't know. Someone mentioned in another thread earlier this week that he'd made a snide remark about us bringing in another 'professional' TE. Perhaps he's been a bit of a malcontent. Something you can't have with all the change going on.

I don't know. Someone mentioned in another thread earlier this week that he'd made a snide remark about us bringing in another 'professional' TE. Perhaps he's been a bit of a malcontent. Something you can't have with all the change going on.

Better than bringing in an 'amateur' TE, right?

It was nice having him, but he was kinda useless. All he could do is block, and there are a lot of better options out there. Wish him well.

Legree is a running quarteraback with a below avergae arm. Just a camp body.

He has been hurt (seemingly) a lot...........the two nfl tightends comment by Grigson after drafting Fleener and Allen may carry more weight than originally thought.........he was "sick" during earlier camps.........plus they have signed Jones, SMith and Miller lately so they (FO) must like what they see out of them!??!

He was one of my favorite prospects, and easily one of the best TE blocking prospects in a long time, but he was injury prone and far too one dimensional to last in Bruce's scheme, or even what Luck is used to playing. I had Andre Smith as a dynamite blocking TE in the last draft with relatively decent receiving ability, so I can see why he might actually replace Brody. He's also a bit more athletic. Also, less injury prone.

Noone is certain to make the team, and someone like Brody Eldridge, who has shown bad attitude and mediocre talent, is not an exception. I have never been a fan of him. if he was such an excellent blocker, then why was our run game never that good with him on the field. And now we sign another QB, So correct me if im wrong but we have

Andrew Luck

Drew Stanton

Chandler Harnish

Trevor Vitattoe

and now David Legree

Do we really need this many QB's? and of all of these, who is most likely to be the 2nd string QB to back up Luck. It better be someone who can perform. I would like to see it be Stanton.

Noone is certain to make the team, and someone like Brody Eldridge, who has shown bad attitude and mediocre talent, is not an exception. I have never been a fan of him. if he was such an excellent blocker, then why was our run game never that good with him on the field. And now we sign another QB, So correct me if im wrong but we have

Andrew Luck

Drew Stanton

Chandler Harnish

Trevor Vitattoe

and now David Legree

Do we really need this many QB's? and of all of these, who is most likely to be the 2nd string QB to back up Luck. It better be someone who can perform. I would like to see it be Stanton.

Luck's not there for OTA's and Harnish is out for 2-3 weeks, so the signing of Legree was, in all likelihood, an addition of a third quarterback to run another squad during camp. Probably not a contender for the backup spot, but I could be wrong!

Noone is certain to make the team, and someone like Brody Eldridge, who has shown bad attitude and mediocre talent, is not an exception.

Bad attitude? This is the first I've heard of it. Where do you get that? Am I missing something?

will this cause a cap penalty for next year?

He was due for a base salary of around 490K . I would imagine the Colts would sign a player to replace him for the 2012 minimum salary of 390 K. So they pick up 100K in cap space there. His signing bonus was 163K . The Colts have 2 years left of prorated bonus payment for that cap hit. So half of 163K ( 2 years of a 4 year contract) woud be around 82K. That hit or gain all goes against this years (2012) cap as he's being released before June 1st. If it was after June first part would go for 2012 and part for 2013.

So to answer your question if you don't feel like doing the math..

cap hit for 2012 (assuming he is replaced with a player getting league minimum) would be about a plus 8K. so i guess not really a "hit."

cap hit for next year is nada

there is no cap hit for next year

My figures come from googling the contract he signed 4 years ago. Sometimes they are off but in any event , this is pretty much a non issue as far as cap money

He was due for a base salary of around 490K . I would imagine the Colts would sign a player to replace him for the 2012 minimum salary of 390 K. So they pick up 100K in cap space there. His signing bonus was 163K . The Colts have 2 years left of prorated bonus payment for that cap hit. So half of 163K ( 2 years of a 4 year contract) woud be around 82K. That hit or gain all goes against this years (2012) cap as he's being released before June 1st. If it was after June first part would go for 2012 and part for 2013.

So to answer your question if you don't feel like doing the math..

cap hit for 2012 (assuming he is replaced with a player getting league minimum) would be about a plus 8K. so i guess not really a "hit."

cap hit for next year is nada

there is no cap hit for next year

My figures come from googling the contract he signed 4 years ago. Sometimes they are off but in any event , this is pretty much a non issue as far as cap money

Thanks for the info.

I thought he could compete for LS and retain a spot but it was reported somewhere (maybe Bleacher Report) that he hurt his hand last year and it has not healed. He was already not a good receiver and a hand injury would hurt his ST availability. Colts are likely to keep 4 TEs and Smith can play STs. Jones seems to be having a good camp. Overton, Miller, and McGlynn can compete with Snow for LS.

Remember when he thought he was safe by being the only TE on the roster?

I'm kinda surprised by this, I thought he would have a leg up on the 3rd TE spot.

lol there is no 3rd TE spot, there is, but it's useless if you think realistically

lol there is no 3rd TE spot, there is, but it's useless if you think realistically

Well he's a special teams contributor, an extra blocker for short yardage plays (mostly near the goal-line), and a backup to the 2 starters.

The 3rd TE spot is not that useless (kinda), but doesn't have the biggest role.

Well he's a special teams contributor, an extra blocker for short yardage plays (mostly near the goal-line), and a backup to the 2 starters.

I guarantee you Andy "if" Indy felt this man could stay healthy through an NFL season he would be on this roster. But he cannot do it.

That is why he is gone, not because he had nothing to offer. He had a TON to offer.

I would say the final roster has 4 TE's on it. And that does not count Snow.

And I think very realistically. To many's dismay.

4 tight ends sure but that does count Snow (Fleener, Allen, Miller, Snow)

Coach Pagano spoke highly of Jones in rookie camp. Miller makes Snow expendable because they both can LS but Snow can not play TE. Smith made Eldridge expendable because he is a blocking TE who can also catch and play ST. McGlynn can LS so Miller is not safe.

He was brought in as an excellent blocking TE, but from what I saw, his blocking wasn't anything special. And he wasn't known for having great hands. Compound that with the addition of Fleener and Allen and it's no surprise that he is gone

I didn't see where he was anything special blocking wise either? Though Polian during the draft said he was an excellent blocking TE and I was like, "huh?"...injury prone as well.