Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Richardson’s Tap Out

csmopar

Pat Macfee and others have put AR on blast for the tap out when healthy in todays game.

at first, I didn’t think much of it but after some thought, I agree with Pat, I think it’s a bad look for a QB to tap out like that. Very Deshawn Watson like. 

things that make one go hmmmm

• Like 5

The “tap out” was the last straw. He gets tackled and immediately asks for a sub LMAO. Then goes to the presser to again talk about his “unique” traits. Give me a break. 

I’m typically pretty patient but he’s not the guy for this team. Let him finish the season, hoping we go 4-13 and blow it up. Clear as day in my opinion. We need to take another shot. 

You start Flacco, this team wins too many games. Anyone who thinks otherwise look at this offense under Gardner Minshew last year compared to this year 🤣

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, cjwhiskers said:

The “tap out” was the last straw. He gets tackled and immediately asks for a sub LMAO. Then goes to the presser to again talk about his “unique” traits. Give me a break. 

I’m typically pretty patient but he’s not the guy for this team. Let him finish the season, hoping we go 4-13 and blow it up. Clear as day in my opinion. We need to take another shot. 

You start Flacco, this team wins too many games. Anyone who thinks otherwise look at this offense under Gardner Minshew last year compared to this year 🤣

U don't know what goes on in the head set. Shane gets criticized for running a play when AR got hurt on the previous play that ended up with AR missing games.  Everyone knew it was going to be a run play. He got hit and they might have called him in as it was?going to be a hand off. I didn't read to much into it.

2 minutes ago, KelownaColtsFan said:

"It was a completely irrelevant nothing burger until I heard someone else criticize him and now I'm here to pile on" - OP

No not at all. Just thinking about it. It’s a bad look for sure. One that’s gonna get talked about. And noticed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Now that he has admitted it was a tap out because he was tired my overall opinion of him has dropped significantly.

Yeah mine too. I’ve criticized Andrew Luck for not having mental toughness, I would be a hypocrite not to criticize AR for the same thing. Kid looked lost today and the tap out showed it

• Like 4

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

No not at all. Just thinking about it. It’s a bad look for sure. One that’s gonna get talked about. And noticed.

No it isn't. RBs take themselves out of the game all the time. They're plenty of legit reasons to critique ARs game today, the INT, not going out of bounds at the end etc. This incident had absolutely no bearing on the outcome of the game this is a foolish attempt to attack a young man's character and it needs to stop.

Anyone who doesn’t see an inherent issue in your franchise QB VOLUNTARILY taking themselves out of the game because they were tired is insane. That’s the kind of leader you want running the team? Do you really think that’s going to go over well in the locker room? Screw the outside world, think about what his teammates are going to feel about that. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KelownaColtsFan said:

No it isn't. RBs take themselves out of the game all the time. They're plenty of legit reasons to critique ARs game today, the INT, not going out of bounds at the end etc. This incident had absolutely no bearing on the outcome of the game this is a foolish attempt to attack a young man's character and it needs to stop.

You seriously aren’t comparing a RB taking a snap/series off vs a QB doing it. Not even remotely close to the same thing. 

It’s extremely fair to criticize him for that move. Character aside. Not the mentality you want at the QB position. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, cjwhiskers said:

Anyone who doesn’t see an inherent issue in your franchise QB VOLUNTARILY taking themselves out of the game because they were tired is insane. That’s the kind of leader you want running the team? Do you really think that’s going to go over well in the locker room? Screw the outside world, think about what his teammates are going to feel about that. 

Of course it is an issue. Luckily for AR, a lot of fans are as clueless as he is.🤣

• Like 1

Just now, azcolt said:

Of course it is an issue. Luckily for AR, a lot of fans are as clueless as he is.🤣

The thing that blows my mind is the blind allegiance. I think a lot of it is just pure denial. We’ve been so starved for our guy at QB we are willing to overlook major red flags. 

I truly wanted the young man to be great, and maybe one day he will be but my lord, the signs are not pointing in that direction and I’ve never felt more confident than I do after today’s game and this move. 

This is far an away more telling to his chances at success than his accuracy issues IMO. Other stuff can be worked on. Toughness and mentality just don’t seem to be there. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Pat Macfee and others have put AR on blast for the tap out when healthy in todays game.

at first, I didn’t think much of it but after some thought, I agree with Pat, I think it’s a bad look for a QB to tap out like that. Very Deshawn Watson like. 

things that make one go hmmmm

I think people are being waaay too hard on Anthony's play, all things considered, but this is a very bad look in my opinion. You don't take yourself out of the game as the team leader at the most importent position on the team because you're tired...

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, cjwhiskers said:

The thing that blows my mind is the blind allegiance. I think a lot of it is just pure denial. We’ve been so starved for our guy at QB we are willing to overlook major red flags. 

I truly wanted the young man to be great, and maybe one day he will be but my lord, the signs are not pointing in that direction and I’ve never felt more confident than I do after today’s game and this move. 

This is far an away more telling to his chances at success than his accuracy issues IMO. Other stuff can be worked on. Toughness and mentality just don’t seem to be there. 

Not many qb’s have Luck’s intelligence but they have enough intelligence to be successful qb’s in the NFL. But being dumb as a rock is a problem for the most important position on the team. His stupidity was on full display with the tap out to get his breath. Unbelievable. Probably an NFL first for a qb.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Pat Curtis said:

BAD optics.....from his play...to the "tap out"....to his post game presser.  He needs to grow up and toughen up fast.

His presser was bad. I didn’t even watch it all and I definitely still believe in the young man but today was rough.

• Like 2

Pat also then posted that he came out the next possession and led a touchdown drive. I don't see an issue. People will make it one. He was winded enough to want to come out and maybe it was the responsible thing to make sure a proper snap and handoff was done instead of a major mistake? Idk. It was strange, to be sure. But it led to nothing.

This shows more than just a bad look at many levels. If he was tired, Steichen doesn't do job 1 as a head coach which is insuring your players are in good shape. Secondly, if my leader bails at any time during the game of his own accord, especially this situation, he's most probably done, at least as a team leader. Thirdly, if you are 10-32, you better use every opportunity there is to stay in the game and make up for you horrendous play. 

• Thanks 1

Of all the things to criticize AR for after today this one is absolutely the dumbest. It's actually funny because there is an 11 page grievance filled post game thread, and not a single mention of it. Then McAfee posts a dipstick hot take and now every neck beard is crawling out of their mom's basement. 

1 minute ago, KelownaColtsFan said:

Of all the things to criticize AR for after today this one is absolutely the dumbest. It's actually funny because there is an 11 page grievance filled post game thread, and not a single mention of it. Then McAfee posts a dipstick hot take and now every neck beard is crawling out of their mom's basement. 

don’t criticize my neck beard. 

6 minutes ago, KelownaColtsFan said:

Respectfully disagree. This is actually the TOP thing to criticize him for because it’s incredibly telling to his mindset and an absolute slap in the face to his teammates. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Although, I personally have never seen it happen, I would have given him a break for leaving the game because things happen like getting the wind knocked out of you, etc.  

However, I just saw the following quote....

"I feel like I'm a great passer," he said. "I've been playing quarterback pretty much my whole life. I'm just a different quarterback from everybody else, so people are going to try to point out that I'm not as efficient as everybody else. But it's cool to me. I run the ball way better than every other quarterback. Probably not Lamar [Jackson], but [better] than most quarterbacks. So, I take advantage of my opportunities."

...and I do have an issue with this because it speaks to a guy who getting defensive about his weaknesses instead of improving on them.  Thats really not the kind of thought process you want in a 22 year old who has not achieved anything in this league and still has a lot of work to do to even be considered an average starter.  Not a good look IMO.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, KelownaColtsFan said:

Have you ever seen a QB pull himself out of a game when he wasn't injured?

8 minutes ago, Blueblazes said:

This shows more than just a bad look at many levels. If he was tired, Steichen doesn't do job 1 as a head coach which is insuring your players are in good shape. Secondly, if my leader bails at any time during the game of his own accord, especially this situation, he's most probably done, at least as a team leader. Thirdly, if you are 10-32, you better use every opportunity there is to stay in the game and make up for you horrendous play. 

Imagine any of the great coaches like Belichick, Shula or Lombardi if the qb tapped out and said it was because he was tired. Well, of course no qb would have dared lest they be ripped to pieces by the coach and either sent immediately sent back in or benched — so in addition to a terrible look for AR it’s  not a great look for his coach.

BTW putting Flacco in totally cold pretty well eliminated any opportunity to go for the first down via pass. if AR had been injured Flacco would have had a chance to throw a few balls.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KelownaColtsFan said:

You are calling us dumb? Might want to take a peek in your mirror.🤣

1 minute ago, azcolt said:

Imagine any of the great coaches like Belichick, Shula or Lombardi if the qb tapped out and said it was because he was tired. Well, of course no qb would have dared lest they be ripped to pieces by the coach and either sent immediately sent back in or benched — so in addition to a terrible look for AR it’s  not a great look for his coach.

BTW putting Flacco in totally cold pretty well eliminated any opportunity to go for the first down via pass. if AR had been injured Flacco would have had a chance to throw a few balls.

It was third and a mile.   They would have ran off Peyton was the qb

"I was tired." Seriously? Seriously??

Pittman plays through a back injury that should have kept him out multiple games. Why? Because even though he isn't among the most elite talented receivers out there, nobody has more Determination. This? Tapping out because you were "tired"? Reeks of lack of determination. The team may have put out an official statement of support, but I suspect that AR has lost the respect of the players.

And, whether they like it or not, the spotlight is gonna switch to Steichen during the course of this week. The NFL flexed the next game to a national audience. And the questions are going to be asked on a national platform. Does Steichen just let him get away with this? Does he? Because if this was Parcells, he would have sat Richardson down, and sat him down HARD. This is only going to get hotter.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, azcolt said:

Looking back at it. Is it fair to critisize him? Maybe. However this is a guy who is very physical when he runs and shows no signs of changing his style. U can critisize him for the tap out. However, I think he has proved he will lay his body on the line. I think there is a lot going on his brain at this time. He is probably over loaded and hopefully there is a time where it just all shows down. This is a 22 year old player who has played 13 college games  and a handful of NFL games.  We need to give him time. This is the way  I look at it. We were never Superbowl worthy and even playoffs were a stretch  as the talent just isn't  there. Let's burn the year and see if this guy is future. If he is horrible, as the year progresses. We could be looking at a complete tear down.  

8 minutes ago, azcolt said:

OK, do you think AR made his decision on that basis? Hard to believe anyone can defend this dope.

It was a typo.  What I meant was the next play would have been a run no matter who was the qb.   My post made it seem like I was saying peyton would have left the game in that situation.   That's obviously not the case.   I've never seen any qb pull himself out.