Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Texans post game reaction

GoColts8818

Joe Mixon is a great back.  Not surprised he played this well game 1. Texans were a slightly better team and it showed all game. I have feeling we will be in a lot of close games this year with endings similar.  This team is young and needs to play more to put it together. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Zoltan said:

I disagree they were a nonreactor. they had there tackles for loss and 10 solo tackles. It was the LBs our only saving grace was our safeties who both led the team with 18 solo tackles and 27 total tackles you compare that to our two starting LBs they had 12 solo and 18 total tackles. I've said this for awhile now Speed and Franklin are overrated.

I’ll disagree several times you saw Mixon in the secondary before someone touched him.  Thats starts up front with DTs and the guy you just gave a big contract too in Grover because “bad things happen to teams when they try to run against him.”

• Like 1

This game proved more upside than downside IMO.

if not for a missed 2pt opportunity and an unfortunate INT in the redzone this game was ours.

Pierce…3 catches on 3 targets for 125 yards…he balled everything thrown his way.

AR…9/19 is not good…less than 50% completion…but two TD passes of over 50 yards and 3 passes over 50 yards. He has talent and it translated to the field more today than in any of his previous games by a fair bit…I think he will be up and down but the upside could be massive.

run defense- what can you say? They stunk all game long…and this is the biggest surprise 😯 of the day. I expected to get torched through the air and not on the ground.

This loss is a definite bummer but I mean this colts team hung toe to toe and really save it for a few tiny plays we won this game. 

Smile..football season is here and things look promising 

• Like 3

It’s just really disappointing that it was the run defense, an area where we’ve a lot invested in, was the losing of the game. If Stroud and his receivers torched us all game (and they did have success as expected) I wouldn’t be as mad. But it’s incredibly frustrating to see us gashed like that, our secondary seemed to have to do most of the tackling rather than the front.

AR was kind of what we expected, explosive and inconsistent. But I feel good about him as there is definitely scope for improvement, especially with his relationship with AD over time. 
It’s a frustrating loss but we did ultimately lose to a better team with more talent. Ballard getting a lot of heat online, can understand the supporters frustration. 

• Like 1

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Gameball goes to Pierce.  Showed what the Colts saw in him when he was drafted.

I've been plenty critical of Pierce. He showed out today! Big props to him! That's how you fight for your starting spot, The only pass-catcher that made any plays for RIchardson today. 

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Am I the only one who thought the DBs didn't play that bad? Like... they didn't have an amazing game or soomething, but it was an OK game for the talent we have. 

I think at least some of the secondary issues were Bradley’s scheme.  It doesn’t matter the situation he plays his guys five yards off and other teams know that and draw up plays to take advantage of that, see the TD pass to Diggs to prove it.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, New Zealands #1 Colts Fan said:

If you didn't watch the game and only read these comments, you would think we lost 30-0 to the worst team in the league.........

You mean like how the Bengals had their rear ends handed to them by the projected worst team in the league Patriots? As upset as we are, Cincinnati fans are completely imploding.

• Like 5

This game has me officially off the Ballard Fan bus. Spend some damn money on the secondary....

And what about his love for Gus. Does Gus have/know smthn to blackmail Ballard?

For the money the Colts spend on Oline, they gotta do a way better job in the run game to justify thwt money.

AR is boom or bust on almost every play, as expected. Pierce looks great with a qb that actually can throw more than 25 yards....

So far my 2 cents...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

Am I the only one who thought the DBs didn't play that bad? Like... they didn't have an amazing game or soomething, but it was an OK game for the talent we have. 

I think Jones and Brents both had some pretty terrible plays that cost us A LOT. Same with Cross.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

I’ll disagree several times you saw Mixon in the secondary before someone touched him.  Thats starts up front with DTs and the guy you just gave a big contract too in Grover because “bad things happen to teams when they try to run against him.”

Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

Thanks for proving my point haha

Yeah Moxin wasn't touched until the secondary and for two LBs who's strength was supposedly tackling and run defense were complete liabilities. where they had several missed tackles against Mixon.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Gameball goes to Pierce.  Showed what the Colts saw in him when he was drafted.

Also, despite the general negativity, can I just say AR 3 total TDs... that's good for anyone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Happy2BeHere said:

This game proved more upside than downside IMO.

if not for a missed 2pt opportunity and an unfortunate INT in the redzone this game was ours.

Pierce…3 catches on 3 targets for 125 yards…he balled everything thrown his way.

AR…9/19 is not good…less than 50% completion…but two TD passes of over 50 yards and 3 passes over 50 yards. He has talent and it translated to the field more today than in any of his previous games by a fair bit…I think he will be up and down but the upside could be massive.

run defense- what can you say? They stunk all game long…and this is the biggest surprise 😯 of the day. I expected to get torched through the air and not on the ground.

This loss is a definite bummer but I mean this colts team hung toe to toe and really save it for a few tiny plays we won this game. 

Smile..football season is here and things look promising 

That sums up my thought pretty well. I think we saw how important Downs is to this offense and how much we missed him. He's the guy that consistently got open on the short to intermediate routes and that part of the passing game was definitely missing today.

Just now, stitches said:

Considering how talented their QB and WRs are, I agree. I think some of the issues in coverage today were more from a schematic issue than on-field execution, but definitely room to grow for the latter.

• Like 4

It's so stressful being a Colts fan...... we're not bad enough to get blown out by teams and we're not good enough to win comfortably so we're always stuck with nerves hanging by a thread until the bitter end! Some comments here are an overreaction, other concerns probably justified......personally I'm fed up of not being able to defend 3rd and long, it's happened too often for several years. I know the defence will get stuck and they deserve it for some plays but it's the same pattern as last year really.....they keep us in the game for 3 quarters while the offense stutters along and then it falls apart in the 4th!

• Like 2

Just now, BProland85 said:

I’ll watch the game tmrw as I don’t have Sunday ticket but did Latu have no impact? Didn’t see any stats from him. Not even a tackle. 

Be did cause a couple false starts on Tunsil.....so he was being accounted for.

Just now, Zoltan said:

Yeah Moxin wasn't touched until the secondary and for two LBs who's strength was supposedly tackling and run defense were complete liabilities. where they had several missed tackles against Mixon.

That doesn’t prove your point in the slightest.  The way the run defense is works is the DTs clog the holes and slow the back down and let the linebackers come up and make tackles.  The DTs weren’t clogging the holes taking the linebackers out of the play.  The problem started up front.  Franklin and Speed didn’t have good days either but they also weren’t put in position to because the DTs didn’t do their jobs letting the linebackers be blocked out of the play by the guys the DTs are supposed to suck up.  Anytime a running back is getting six or seven yards down field before he’s touched you have an issue with your DTs.

• Thanks 1

Just now, BProland85 said:

I’ll watch the game tmrw as I don’t have Sunday ticket but did Latu have no impact? Didn’t see any stats from him. Not even a tackle. 

He was in on the pass rush early, but the Texans switched to mostly running later and that kinda imploded the defense.

3 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I saw several plays where Franklin was absolutely demolished by a blocker. DL is partly to blame for not keeping the LBs clean, but he got manhandled all game.

• HOU is the better team, period.
  • AR did fine with his first game,  Basically came down to missing an easy TD pass and throwing a pick in its place.  Other Qbs do that, even HOFs.  Accuracy is an issue...did we expect that to be fixed by now?...um, no.
  • The defense gave up running plays at critical times, that speaks to talent rather than the DC. 
  • Secondary looked competent, no glaring plays or clear whiffs for big plays.
  • After what, 5 years, DeFo still looks to be our best defensive player, and that's kinda sad.
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, Shive said:

I saw several plays where Franklin was absolutely demolished by a blocker. DL is partly to blame for not keeping the LBs clean, but he got manhandled all game.

Because the DTs were letting the blockers get to the second level.  If you let that happen there isn’t much your linebackers can do.  The problem started up front.  When they were a non factor that means the blockers get to your second level and now the linebackers have to suck up those blockers and your secondary cleans up the running back which is what we saw all day.  Pretty much the Colts run defense was level behind how it’s supposed to operate and it’s because the DTs gave them nothing.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

That doesn’t prove your point in the slightest.  The way the run defense is works is the DTs clog the holes and slow the back down and let the linebackers come up and make tackles.  The DTs weren’t clogging the holes taking the linebackers out of the play.  The problem started up front.  Franklin and Speed didn’t have good days either but they also weren’t put in position to because the DTs didn’t do their jobs letting the linebackers be blocked out of the play by the guys the DTs are supposed to suck up.  Anytime a running back is getting six or seven yards down field before he’s touched you have an issue with your DTs.

I feel like you should re-read your posts because once again you are proving my point haha the DTs did clog the holes and got a couple tackles for loss, it's just if the RB made it past them the safeties had to make the play because our LBs were non-existent in the run game. Linebacker is supposed to meet them in the hole that wasn't happening and when they did they didn't wrap up and Mixon was breaking their tackles. It's the same problem as last year when you could watch speed and Franklin go for big hits and bounce off the RB. 

Our Run Defense was good last year with Stew. We lost because they controlled the game by running. Also, we still give up too many 3rd longs. We scored 27 points, this isn't AR's fault at all. I thought AR played good for the most part and made some huge plays to keep us in it.

Gus Bradley just doesn't cut it IMO. Against very good or great QB's, his defense isn't going to work. We can beat average QB's, even some good one's but Stroud will pick you apart with the D we play. So will guys like Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Lamar, Rodgers, Tua, Dak, etc..

5 minutes ago, ColtsGermany said:

This game has me officially off the Ballard Fan bus. Spend some damn money on the secondary....

And what about his love for Gus. Does Gus have/know smthn to blackmail Ballard?

For the money the Colts spend on Oline, they gotta do a way better job in the run game to justify thwt money.

AR is boom or bust on almost every play, as expected. Pierce looks great with a qb that actually can throw more than 25 yards....

So far my 2 cents...

Answer is simple...

Unlike most other GMs, Ballard wants to run a specific defensive scheme and he thinks Bradley is the best the league has available and not already employed by another team to run this defensive scheme... That's why Steichen didn't get to choose his choice of DC unlike almost all other NFL Head Coaches. 

And, fans are left to console themselves saying, "oh, if Steichen was not on board with Gus, he would've objected".... :violin:

Well, this is the scheme Ballard wants, and Bradley is the DC he got!

• Like 3