Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Draft Grade????

31 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

@Scott Pennock made his rundown of the draft, it is excellent!  And @Yoshinator gave me props for comments I made before the draft.  (Thanks, dude!)  So, I feel compelled to give my own review of this year's draft.

Round 1 / Pick 15 -- Laiatu Latu, DE, UCLA [MY GUYS Player]

Colts had about 7 players targeted for their pick at 15, and by the time we got to the pick, 6 of them were still on the board.  We had our choice of anyone.  This draft is not deep at DE.  I expected us to take a WR or a CB.  Instead, we take the best DE in the draft.  Latu is the double-digit sack artist that we haven't had since Mathis.  We're talking guys like Trey Hendrickson, Maxx Crosby, Montez Sweat.  If it wasn't for his injury, he would be a top-5 pick.  It was a steal.  The pick comes with a downside.  He's a day one starter.  And we already have two starters.  Each with accomplishments.  It's a problem of riches.  It's a good problem to have, true.  But it's a problem.  But there's also a background reason.  Ebukam has 2 years left on his contract.  This year is Kwity's final year of his rookie deal, and there's no guarantee we do his 5th year option.  One of the enduring principles of drafting is that you are hopefully not drafting for your needs this year.  You are drafting for what the team looks like a couple years from now.  Latu is what the DL looks like a couple years from now.

Round 2 / Pick 52 -- Adonai Mitchell, WR, Texas [MY GUYS Player]

For those fans (like me) who desperately wanted us to draft an offensive weapon in the first round, we got one in the second round.  Make no mistake -- Adonai Mitchell is a First Round Talent.  He has rare combination of length, speed, quickness.  He's been in five post season games, and scored a touchdown in every one.  He has rare ability to separate at the top of the route.  This guy is a day one starter.  Seriously.  What made him slip was his reputation of poor dedication when the play isn't designed to go his way.  His poor interviews at the combine.  He's got diabetes, and when he's out of whack, it adversely affects his mood.  And consequently, his performance.  Reggie Wayne has his work cut out for him.  And I envision his talk with Mitchell to resemble Proximo's talk with Maximus:  "You're good, Spaniard, but you're not that good.  You could be magnificent."  Funny, but true.  My own advice for "Lord" Mitchell is that of Tyrion Lannister:  "Never forget what you are.  The rest of the world will not.  Wear it like armor.  And it can never be made to hurt you."  So he has diabetes.  And?  I say, immediately approach the Snickers people and volunteer to do a commercial spot for them.  "Hey, AD, you need a Snickers?  Why?  Because you play like a jerk when you don't have one!  Better?  Better!"  Heck, yeah.

Round 3 / Pick 79 -- Matt Goncalves, OL, Pitt

To tell the truth, I was looking for us to address our DB needs with this pick.  I wasn't expecting an offensive lineman.  I initially wanted to be disappointed.  The more I read about this guy, the more encouraged I got.  I still can't help but look back at those terrible 2021 and 2022 seasons, when we made terrible attempts to address our offensive line through washed up veteran free agents who couldn't play anymore.  Some of them couldn't play to begin with.  I liked the Blake Freeland pick.  And I'm liking Goncalves, too.  More for who he is than what he is.  Just listen to his live phone call with Chris Ballard when he got picked.  That's the kind of energy you want in the huddle, on the field, in the locker room.  This is a Good Guy.  He's still got work to do.  He's got very short arms (nothing he can do about that) but he also had terribly few reps on the bench press.  He can do something about that.  Get in there, get to work, and compete for playing time.

Round 4 / Pick 117 -- Tanor Bortollini, OC, Wisconsin

What?  When are we going to pick one of the DB's I had flagged for our team?  Here's a thing:  Bortollini broke Jason Kelce's combine record for the 3-cone shuttle.  He ran a 4,95 40.  He can play any position on the line.  And let's not fool ourselves.  No matter how much Ryan Kelly says he wants to continue playing, there comes a time in every player's career when the ball club is ready to move on before you are.  I like this player.  Seriously.  Him and his outrageous mullet.  No, he's not the position I wanted.  But I like him.

Round 5 / Pick 142 - Anthony Gould, WR, Oregon State

Quite frankly, I was surprised we drafted another WR after taking Mitchell.  And another player who is a quick, undersized slot receiver.  We already have one in Downs.  What do we need another one for?  But after watching film on him, I can see what they see.  This guy is going to be our punt returner.  Geez, he looks small.  But he's listed at 5-11.  Still looks tiny.  I'm gonna enjoy watching him.  Clarence Verdin 2.0?  Anybody?

Round 5 / Pick 151 - Jaylon Carlies, LB/DB, Missouri [MY GUYS Player]

Love the pick.  This is one of the guys I had on my own list.  I studied the new Vic Fangio "Cover 6" hybrid defense that everyone was beginning to use vs the modern 3-by-1 offensive formations.  And I came away from that experience certain that a new, different kind of player is going to be required in the modern game.  A guy who could play safety, nickel, and linebacker all at once.  Why?  Because of what genius coaches like Shane Steichen have been doing against it.  They line up in 3-by-1.  So the defense goes into Cover 6.  Then one of the 3 WR's goes in motion across the field to make a 2-by-2.  The defense reacts by switching over to Quarters coverage.  That motion receiver then quickly circles back around to the other side of the field.  And the defense needs to react back again.  How quickly can they do it?  How quickly can the players understand just which coverage they're doing?  Do they have the right personnel on the field to play either coverage?  Ah ha!!!  What is needed is a player that can stay on the field regardless of what coverage is being called.  Carlies is that player.

Round 5 / Pick 164 - Jaylin Simpson, DB, Auburn

We finally address our issue at Free Safety.  Our starter at that position was a good story.  Ivy League player picked in the 7th round made good.  Works his way into the starting lineup.  Great story.  Problem was, Rodney Thomas really isn't that good.  He may be the best FS we have.  But that's not saying much.  Both Julian Blackmon and Nick Cross are Strong safeties.  True, they can both line up at FS.  But it doesn't mean they're all that suited for it.  Jaylin is a CB/FS hybrid that had 7 interceptions at Auburn.  He's a thin, wiry guy.  He's not going to help you tackle guys running at you.  But in today's 4-wide offenses?  Oh, yeah.  He can play.

Round 6 / Pick 201 - Micah Abraham, CB, Marshall

I don't know much about Abraham.  My only attachment to this pick is that I have a close friend who was at college at Marshall when the tragedy happened to their football team.  Also, Chris Ballard has a thing for turning over every rock to find an unpolished gem off the beaten path.  We'll see how he works out.  What he does.  I would expect that his first stop (if he makes the team) will be special teams.

Round 7 / Pick 234 -- Jonah Laulu, DT, Oklahoma

Again, I don't know much about him.  But I do know that we can now legitimately do a Polynesian haka with our defensive line.  My advice to him is the same speech that the Colts make to all rookies.  You're here now.  It doesn't matter where you were drafted.  It doesn't matter if you were drafted.  It's now up to you to show the coaches what you can do, and beat the guy in front of you.

My overall draft grade:  B+

I love the first two picks, and we have three guys from my MY GUYS list.  I wish we could have addressed DB earlier in the draft than where we did.  But I'm not going to complain.  Our needs coming into this offseason were at free safety, wide receiver, consistent pass rush, top end corner, and prime cover corner.  We not only addressed nearly all of them, but addressed them well.  If we splurged in the next two weeks and gave Justin Simmons a bunch of money to play FS for us, I'd drive over to west 56th street and kiss Chris Ballard myself.

I'm feeling good about this team, and about this season.  The new theme I have chosen for this year is "NO MORE EXCUSES".  Let's go do it.

Nice review here. You put a lot of work into it. I actually enjoyed Ballard not taking a CB after round 2. When Melton went in the mini CB run in round 2 before our pick, I was saying in the chat for Ballard not to take a CB. Sometimes you just miss out on a run. Better not to chase. Mitchell is going to be a lot of fun to watch. Same with Gould. Our O-Line may be the best it's been since Ballard got here from 1-10. We probably have 10 O-Lineman that could make the team and be of at least backup level play. 

We got a bunch of my sleepers and guys. Loved Latu, Goncalves, Bortolini, Gould and Simpson. Mitchell wasn't particularly a guy of mine, but that's because I didn't feel I had the proper information to judge whether his character concerns were overblown or not. If Ballard took him, then I figured they were a bit overblown. I thought Mitchell might possibly fall out of the 1st round, but I didn't expect he'd fall to us at 46, much less in a trade down to 52. 

Carlies was a nice pick, and even though I'm not really a big fan of Abraham, he did well in college and has starting experience. I just don't like how unathletic he is. Laulu is a nice developmental athlete IMO.

Overall, fun draft. Wish we would have drafted a RB as I don't like our depth, and Hull is too unproven to rely on IMO, but we'll be fine. For the first time since 2018, I have hope in this team as it looks like Ballard is finally growing as a GM.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

If we have money for a FA, IMHO it should be FS, then CB

The back end is so so important in THIS zone that the Colts play 99% of the time with big (but a touch slower) CBs spec

The FS cleans it all up

Thats why I think we should use any remaining cap money to bring in a decent FS

We could use a stud CB, we have limited cash

I find myself agreeing with you a lot!

Definitely agree here.  I mentioned in the past that In this defensive scheme, DE and FS are probably the most important positions.  The DEs (and DL) apply pressure without blitzing and the FS keeps you from getting beat deep.  

we now have our DEs, we need to get our FS.  I would LOVE for Ballard to get Simmons.  2 or 3 year contract and I’m set.

• Like 1

I’m still shocked Latu and all of the other defensive players fell to us. 

He was never really on my radar because I expected him to be gone. Same with Mitchell! 

And to think, all of this happened after we were unable to trade up.

4 hours ago, Solid84 said:

A+

Laiatu Latu - The kinda guy I've been clamouring for for a long time now and specifically the guy I hoped we'd get this draft. I'm SUPER excited about this pick. If Latu turns into our Hendrickson/Crossby/Bosa the rest of the players in this draft can bust and it would still be A+ in my opinion. Technician without equal and still athletic. There's just so much to love about this guy. Steal #1.

Adonai Mitchell - Steal #2. Ballard stood tall on the hill defending this guy and reportedly Steichen and Wayne have been pounding the table for this guy for some time... and they got him AFTER a trade back? Bruh! Steal! Super athletic and has beat up on some of the top CBs in this draft.

Matt Goncalves - We've needed to upgrade our OL depth and Goncalves can play all over the line. Solid pick!

Tanor Bortolini - Quite possibly our future OC. Super athletic - broke Jason Kelce's 3-cone record at the combine. Love this pick!

Anthony Gould - This could potentially turn out to be a genius move by Ballard & Co. The new return rules means having a good returner is extra important and Gould is likely one of the best in the draft! We also needed a good backup behind Downs since McKenzie left.

Jaylon Carlies - After last season I felt like we needed to upgrade our coverage ability at the LB position. This is a move to do just that. Love it!

Jaylin Simpson - We needed to at least add competition at the FS spot. With us picking Simpson and last years 5th rounder Daniel Scott returning (who Ballard seems really excited about), we seem to be set with young talent there. Maybe we add a vet? Like this pick.

Micah Abraham - Don't know much about him, but he has the pedigree. Doesn't fit Ballard's typical athletic profile, so they must have seen something on tape they REALLY like.

Jonah Laulu - The Colts brought him in for a top 30 visit and he fits their athletic profile. Project. Solid pick in the 7th.

I will grade this post A+ !!! 

:rock:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Our OL backups might end up being starter level for most teams in a year, definitely the strongest suit of our team. Better not let anyone we drafted the last 2 years go after pre-season, they will be snatched by other teams with no chance of them being stashed on the PS, I believe that.

Our DL, inside and outside has depth now with edge setting DEs and pass rushing DEs, just not sure the project picks of Adetomiwa Adebawore and Jonah Laulu will both be able to make the squad, and Eric Johnson/Taven Bryan are on shaky ground too if they don't produce, IMO. We could actually run a NASCAR package against pass heavy teams with the DEs on the roster, I am serious.

CB starter depth is shaky, so if one of JuJu or Jones or Moore gets banged up, the DL/DE pass rush is going to have to save the day or the scheme. A lot is riding on 7th rounder Jaylon Jones repeating his performance again this year. At some point, the scheme with a blitz from an LB or DB has to help out the secondary more.

• Like 2

This has to be the best thread I have read here. It is not because I just agree with everything said, but the respectful, honest, and supported thoughts are refreshing. I grade the draft as A-/A from the deviation from the RAS model, to the performance and potential process.

The draft is just another phase of building the 2024 team. From the evidence of the new mindset it follows that additional FA's should be expected. Some positions, not S or CB, will be saved for the old Ballard, swiping cutdown/released players of value.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Yoshinator said:

I disagree for several reasons. 1.) We have Cross, Thomas, and Simpson at FS. All are young. I want to see a battle between the 3 to see who can start and if any are any good. 2.) We have Blackmon at SS, we don't need two veterans. 3.) We need a veteran at CB that can not only improve our CB play, but that the young CB group can learn from. 4.) I feel Baker can be cut easily if we sign a veteran CB and I'm not sure if Flowers will be 100% right away. 

There's just so many more reasons to go after a CB than a FS IMO.

I disagree.  FS is the last line of defense.  An experienced player there will definitely pay huge dividends and he will help with the development of the corners as well.  He will spot any potential problems and help the young guys with their reads. Our corners are predominantly late round picks.  That’s not ideal. Fortunately we have Kenny out there to help as well.  At least they finally figured out Blackmon was a SS last year.  That was important.  I think having our young FS candidates learn from watching a veteran FS do his thing will pay major dividends.  I’m pulling for a FS addition with a two year contract. Ballard said he was happy with our corners.  I didn’t hear the same praise for the safety room.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I disagree.  FS is the last line of defense.  An experienced player there will definitely pay huge dividends and he will help with the development of the corners as well.  He will spot any potential problems and help the young guys with their reads. Our corners are predominantly late round picks.  That’s not ideal. Fortunately we have Kenny out there to help as well.  At least they finally figured out Blackmon was a SS last year.  That was important.  I think having our young FS candidates learn from watching a veteran FS do his thing will pay major dividends.  I’m pulling for a FS addition with a two year contract. Ballard said he was happy with our corners.  I didn’t hear the same praise for the safety room.

You are not allowed to disagree back!

Who do you think you are, I am! ~ Pete Weber.

haha 

• Like 1

I'm not a NFL nerd just a fan from day 1 . I Love my Colts .

IMHO . This was a pretty good draft I love an Underdog & LL 's story is a great 1 . After watching video on & off the field of him  I'm extremely happy with our first rounder  I can't wait to see him play .

And AD Our second is IMO another great pick .  2 players who I believe will make immediate impacts great new weapons on both sides of the ball .

I thought the Colts did a great job from top to bottom . I expected a RB & still do but all in all many needs were met IMO ..:scoregood:

Thank you for all the information. But as everyone knows draft grades mean nothing draft grades are a lot better after two or three years that being said I thought Ballard did a good job this year. I do get a feeling that we will sign another cornerback eventually

I’m not going to lie, up until the draft I was focused on us trading up and getting one of the top 3 WRs or Brock (or BTJ at 15) and going corner in the second…but I have to say I’m actually happier that the draft played out this way.

- we got THE best pass rusher in the draft who was ranked 10 by PFF and got him at 15 (thank you falcons lol)

- we got the WR we needed in the second round, who was ranked 22 by PFF and most say the 5th best receiver in this DEEP draft behind the big 3 and BTJ

- we got probably the best returner in this draft in the first year of the kickoff changes…which I think will become such an important part of the game.

Without including the rest of the draft, that’s THREE possible impact players alone.

• Like 2

Draft grades a day after the draft are fun,  but meaningless.    I can't wait to watch Latu start rotating in on passing downs.   If AD passes Pierce in training camp and preseason.   I love this time of year

29 minutes ago, King Colt said:

I've seen two different ratings and both were A+

I seen and read a B+, and I am happy with it.

Grade

B+

Indianapolis Colts

Draft picks

UCLA DE Laiatu Latu (No. 15 overall)

Texas WR Adonai Mitchell (No. 52)

Pitt OT Matt Goncalves (No. 79)

Wisconsin C Tanor Bortolini (No. 117)

Oregon State WR Anthony Gould (No. 142)

Missouri LB Jaylon Carlies (No. 151)

Auburn DB Jaylin Simpson (No. 164)

Marshall DB Micah Abraham (No. 201)

Oklahoma DT Jonah Laulu (No. 234)

Day 1 grade: B+

Day 2 grade: B

Day 3 grade: A-

Analysis: Latu was the most consistent pass rusher in the draft class and will be productive if the neck injury he suffered while at Washington is not an issue moving forward. The team found a potential steal in Mitchell, provided his game matures, while trading down for two Day 3 picks. Trading up for Gonclaves seemed unnecessary, though he should be at least a solid swing tackle; he's been recovering from a foot injury but said after the draft that he feels 100%.

Bortolini looks like Ryan Kelly's heir apparent; he also has the experience, strength and athleticism to play guard until needed in the middle. Gould brings real value as a returner, especially with the new kickoff rules. Carlies moves from safety to linebacker for the Colts. Simpson could man corner or safety; the athletic defender played both spots in college. Abraham is the son of former NFL player Donnie Abraham and a tough-minded corner in his own right, but the team is still looking for depth at edge.

I just saw Kiper on the NFL Network giving the Colts a "B" for their draft. When Field Yates spoke the volume was normal but when Kiper flapped his yap I had to cut the volume down.  He looks like a Roy Orbison stand in. 

According to kiper’s ratings we had the worst draft in the afc south. Also the ESPN analysts have us already losing a spot in the power rankings. According to them we will be picking top 10 of the draft next year.

On 4/28/2024 at 10:14 AM, RollerColt said:

I’m still shocked Latu and all of the other defensive players fell to us. 

He was never really on my radar because I expected him to be gone. Same with Mitchell! 

And to think, all of this happened after we were unable to trade up.

So many NFL GMs just aren’t good and there’s others that keep getting lucky cough Eagles lol.

34 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

So many NFL GMs just aren’t good and there’s others that keep getting lucky cough Eagles lol.

The Eagles and Chiefs are probably lucky because of those bad GMs and franchises who are so desperate. Looking at the Browns who basically footed the bill to rebuilt the Texans all so they could watch backup QBs outperform the guy they gave up so much for…

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mikemccoy84 said:

According to kiper’s ratings we had the worst draft in the afc south. Also the ESPN analysts have us already losing a spot in the power rankings. According to them we will be picking top 10 of the draft next year.

For whatever it’s worth, I’m assuming these ESON analysts are guys on some ESPN show offering up some hot takes.  

Because there are zero stories on ESPN.com or on YouTube that talks about where the Colts might be ranked or where the Colts might pick in the 25 draft.  So just a few opinions.  I wouldn’t read too much into it.   When ESPN officially puts out an early 2025 power ranking, that’s the one that should get the most attention.  Thats more representative than a few talking heads offering a hot take.  

3 hours ago, Mikemccoy84 said:

Kiper liked our players but lowered the grade because we failed to address CB in the early rounds. I would think he should be basing his ratings on the players selected. Pretty silly to say that Houston with no 1st round pick had a better draft than the Colts. 

6 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Kiper liked our players but lowered the grade because we failed to address CB in the early rounds. I would think he should be basing his ratings on the players selected. Pretty silly to say that Houston with no 1st round pick had a better draft than the Colts. 

Kiper will always find a reason to ding the Colts for two reasons:  1.  He’s a bitter Baltimore fan who hasn’t gotten over the move.  2.  Bill Tobin made him look stupid on National TV and worse yet ended up being right (people forget Tobin’s point was before the 95 season sticking with Harbaugh was the right call over drafting Trent Dilfer which is what Kiper was insisting they had to do.)

5 hours ago, dw49 said:

Yeah, that’s laughable. 

On 4/28/2024 at 5:21 PM, Mikemccoy84 said:

I think vast majority of franchises take potential elite pass rusher over a good defensive back.

They might but we were like 4th in sacks and have one of the worst secondaries in the league 

18 hours ago, Mikemccoy84 said:

I don’t think, if Richardson plays to his potential, we’ll be picking bottom 10.  Making the playoffs will be tough because division on paper improved significantly, potentially more than we did.  But I still think we’ll be at least middle of the pack, and if we can find a way to outsmart our division rivals we could have a serious shot at the playoffs again.  Maybe even win a game.

14 hours ago, dw49 said:

I stopped paying attention to Kiper a long time ago.  I got tired of hearing him talk about BPA one minute then turning around and knocking a team's draft pick because it didn't fill a need. 

40 minutes ago, Jason_ said:

I stopped paying attention to Kiper a long time ago.  I got tired of hearing him talk about BPA one minute then turning around and knocking a team's draft pick because it didn't fill a need. 

I hear you but I do think he's good entertainment. However , I don't think he should criticize teams for exactly what he did in this instance . I'm sure Ballard evaluated the 2 edge rushers and 2-3 top CBs and made his best educated selection .To say "I like the players " but your draft was downgraded because" I think you should have thrown away your evaluations and went what I think was a bigger need " is off base to say the least.

• Like 1