Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Update: Charges against Drew Ogletree dismissed with prejudice (merge). **Ogletree reinstated pg4 updated**

adubb84

I have not read all the comments but dismissed with prejudice means it is closed and cannot be retried. 

Funny thing is I posted in the previous thread that is locked that we should not rush to judgement when a lot of folks were crucifying him.

Not saying I told you so, but rather reminding folks that we’re supposed to be innocent until proven guilty - including in the public court of law! 😊

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

From what I gathered they’re verdict came solely off of inconsistencies that were pointed out in her story. That doesn’t necessarily says he’s guilty morally, just legally. Like I said I could be wrong but I just think he may no longer be a Colt come next season.

If they planned on cutting him,  he would have been cut already

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Not sure about Woods and his situation. I think Mallory over Woods.

Woods got hurt, but should be good by now, right?

I forgot about Mallory.....he looked good last year in limited play. 

Cox is the odd man out for sure. 

Not sure this really means much for the team. Ogletree seems to be just above a practice squad player. They obviously see potential in him but likely as a TE2 or 3 ceiling if all goes right. Still, if Woods was healthy Ogletree may have been the odd man out. Im happy he gets to put this behind him and hopefully resume his career.  

4 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Not sure this really means much for the team. Ogletree seems to be just above a practice squad player. They obviously see potential in him but likely as a TE2 or 3 ceiling if all goes right. Still, if Woods was healthy Ogletree may have been the odd man out. Im happy he gets to put this behind him and hopefully resume his career.  

If the Colts brass agreed with you he would have been cut weeks ago

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

If the Colts brass agreed with you he would have been cut weeks ago

Not really. They probably had real god information that this would be the end result and thus, held their cards. And what would cutting him now or even weeks ago have gained ? Nothing

22 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Respectfully….

I don’t know why you think you know what Ogletree’s ceiling is?    He showed well in the 22 camp before blowing up his knee, and then had his legal issue in 23.   

Ballard has been patient with most of his young players who have played.  Ogletree hasn’t.   So why you think you know what his ceiling is already seems to be jumping the gun. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Respectfully….

I don’t know why you think you know what Ogletree’s ceiling is?    He showed well in the 22 camp before blowing up his knee, and then had his legal issue in 23.   

Ballard has been patient with most of his young players who have played.  Ogletree hasn’t.   So why you think you know what his ceiling is already seems to be jumping the gun. 

I understand. Just my opinion I’m sharing on a message board after watching him play. He could tear it up and be an all pro. People all the time gauge potential of players, especially this time of year. The entire draft and the order they are selected is them being judged on their potential. I believe he was a 6th round pick who played roughly 30% of the snaps. Potential TE2 or 3 seems like a fair assessment of a ceiling in my eyes. He could also not even make the team just on talent alone if Woods returns healthy and they retain MAC and like Granson and Mallory more. Your view may be different and that is fine. 

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Respectfully….

Actually graded out as the top TE through week 5 last year and had a significantly long run inside top 10. Week 4 - week 11.

Ogletree - 68.2(NR), 68.2(NR), 68.4(NR), 81.4(2/71), 85.1(1/71), 74.7(5/68), 74.8(5/69), 73.4(7/70), 74.4(5/68), 74.4(9/75), 74.4(10/72), 70.4(17/72), 67.5(20/72), 66.6(22/72), 66.2(24/73), *(NFL suspension list week 17-18)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, w87r said:

Actually graded out as the top TE through week 5 last year and had a significantly long run inside top 10. Week 4 - week 11.

Ogletree - 68.2(NR), 68.2(NR), 68.4(NR), 81.4(2/71), 85.1(1/71), 74.7(5/68), 74.8(5/69), 73.4(7/70), 74.4(5/68), 74.4(9/75), 74.4(10/72), 70.4(17/72), 67.5(20/72), 66.6(22/72), 66.2(24/73), *(NFL suspension list week 17-18)

Thank you for sharing. Looks like he did have a good first half of the season. Also looks like he was steadily regressing(or possibly others were ascending) during the second half. Playing time wise he was the TE3. I personally think he would have been TE4 if Woods was available. I believe the Colts kept 4 TEs last year.  Will be interesting to see if MAC is retained, Woods returns healthy and Mallory/Ogletree battling it out for the possible last roster spot should be really good.  Maybe they both stay on the roster if MAC is cut and no TE is drafted in the early rounds. As always, I will wait and see what happens. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Coltsfan1953 said:

I'm 70 myself, tough age.:lecture:

You're a young man. My mother is 85 and doing well.

I'm glad the charges were dropped. "With prejudice" means that there is reason to believe that these charges can be permanently dismissed. Charges cannot be brought against him for this alleged incident.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

You're a young man. My mother is 85 and doing well.

I'm glad the charges were dropped. "With prejudice" means that there is reason to believe that these charges can be permanently dismissed. Charges cannot be brought against him for this alleged incident.

Agreed. Since the Colts waited it feels like they had intuition that the charges would possibly be dropped. Good for him and the Colts,

I’m ready for the team to continue moving forward into next season. Get him back on the field and hopefully with an excellent draft we’ll have another powerful offense this season. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Thank you for sharing. Looks like he did have a good first half of the season. Also looks like he was steadily regressing(or possibly others were ascending) during the second half. Playing time wise he was the TE3. I personally think he would have been TE4 if Woods was available. I believe the Colts kept 4 TEs last year.  Will be interesting to see if MAC is retained, Woods returns healthy and Mallory/Ogletree battling it out for the possible last roster spot should be really good.  Maybe they both stay on the roster if MAC is cut and no TE is drafted in the early rounds. As always, I will wait and see what happens. 

FWIW: even as Ogletree was regressing, as you put it, he was ranked 24th out of 73.   In other words, the top third.  

A player who was mostly a wide receiver in college and who put on weight to play TE in the NFL finished his second season in the top third of all NFL tight ends.   

All I’m suggesting is that he might be better than you think….

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

FWIW: even as Ogletree was regressing, as you put it, he was ranked 24th out of 73.   In other words, the top third.  

A player who was mostly a wide receiver in college and who put on weight to play TE in the NFL finished his second season in the top third of all NFL tight ends.   

All I’m suggesting is that he might be better than you think….

I understand but I guess we will see if he becomes the TE1 or not. For now I will hope he can resume his career and make the team and build upon his 9 receptions and 147yds in 12 games while getting the 3rd most snaps of the position while missing who many feel was the possible TE1 in Woods for the year.  I get I could be totally wrong but I feel the odds of Ogletree not making the roster next year are higher than him separating himself as the #1 option in the group. He will be battling for a roster spot in my opinion.  Should be interesting to see it all unfold. 

19 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

Already answered this question. 

The NFL still has to do its own investigation before any action is taken against him in accordance with the CBA.  There is language that protects him if he is cleared by both investigations.  

4 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

No reason to agree to disagree.   He would have been cut already.   Pretty simple honestly 

Has the new season started? No it hasn’t so he can still get cut. As I said I will agree to disagree.

7 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

Has the new season started? No it hasn’t so he can still get cut. As I said I will agree to disagree.

Yeah but getting cut because he becomes the odd man out in the tight end room would be very different for cutting him for this.  If the Colts choose not to release him when things looked way worse for him it doesn’t make sense for them to release him now when things look better for him.  That’s why you are getting so much push back.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I understand but I guess we will see if he becomes the TE1 or not. For now I will hope he can resume his career and make the team and build upon his 9 receptions and 147yds in 12 games while getting the 3rd most snaps of the position while missing who many feel was the possible TE1 in Woods for the year.  I get I could be totally wrong but I feel the odds of Ogletree not making the roster next year are higher than him separating himself as the #1 option in the group. He will be battling for a roster spot in my opinion.  Should be interesting to see it all unfold. 

To be clear, I’m NOT saying he’ll be TE1 next year.   I’m only saying it’s too soon to write him off.  His career, whether it’s with the Colts or another team, is only now starting.  He’s just scratched the surface.  

Honestly, that’s all I’m saying…. 

• Like 1

Hope Ogletree gets reinstated soon, Absent Bowers at pick 15, hopefully a TE pick in the mid to late rounds is used on a position group with more needs. IMO Ogletree has more roster value than a round 4-7 TE prospect in theory.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

To be clear, I’m NOT saying he’ll be TE1 next year.   I’m only saying it’s too soon to write him off.  His career, whether it’s with the Colts or another team, is only now starting.  He’s just scratched the surface.  

Honestly, that’s all I’m saying…. 

I understand what you are saying. I guess I don’t understand how saying he has a ceiling of TE2 or 3 is writing him off either. 

I want to be clear and say if he doesn’t make the the team it will be bc of talent on the roster, not this legal situation. The room is crowded and if the Colts retain MAC or draft someone day 1 or 2, Ogletree and Mallory will be battling it out for the final roster spot. That’s if the Colts choose to carry 4 tight ends again. They both could be out as well in some situations. 

9 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

TE 1. What an argument. All the guy has done is prove he can block pretty well, get down the seem OK, and that he can compete at this level. 

Our group is no more than decent, but in year two with Steichen we should be able to block pretty well and spread the ball around to them.

With his speed and size Woods could prove to be a 3rd down/red zone #1, otherwise we just have a bunch of Jags. All will be competing for a job, there isn't a single guaranteed job amongst them.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

TE 1. What an argument. All the guy has done is prove he can block pretty well, get down the seem OK, and that he can compete at this level. 

Our group is no more than decent, but in year two with Steichen we should be able to block pretty well and spread the ball around to them.

With his speed and size Woods could prove to be a 3rd down/red zone #1, otherwise we just have a bunch of Jags. All will be competing for a job, there isn't a single guaranteed job amongst them.

I agree and didn’t expect the push back from my TE2 or 3 ceiling comment. Did get some good info from @w87r when he posted Ogletree’s grades and that was much appreciated. I see our TE room as solid but not spectacular and production will come from a mix of different players playing in certain packages. Will one of them elevate capture the full time starting spot?  Hard to say. I think there is potential in this group especially with Woods. I also see scenarios where none of the current TEs are on the roster in 5yrs. Hopefully competition will rise the cream to the top. 

20 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I agree and didn’t expect the push back from my TE2 or 3 ceiling comment. Did get some good info from @w87r when he posted Ogletree’s grades and that was much appreciated. I see our TE room as solid but not spectacular and production will come from a mix of different players playing in certain packages. Will one of them elevate capture the full time starting spot?  Hard to say. I think there is potential in this group especially with Woods. I also see scenarios where none of the current TEs are on the roster in 5yrs. Hopefully competition will rise the cream to the top. 

As far as TE grades as a room:

TE:

Cox - 53.3(40/63), 58(34/65), 54.6(43/69), 66.1(19/71), 68.2(16/68), 66.8(18/68), 65.6(21/69), 66.5(22/70), 64.6(25/68), 61.9(31/75), 60.7(33/72), 58.5(35/72), 59.8(33/72), 61(31/72), 60.1(35/71), 60.2(34/72), 61.4(35/73)

Granson - 61.6(27/63), 56.6(39/65), 51.1(51/69), 54.8(41/71), 56.5(39/68), 57.2(41/68), 57.2(40/69), 57.2(41/70), 55.5(45/68), 52.4(53/75), 51.5(55/72), 56.6(45/72), 54.9(48/72), 54.6(50/72), 57.8(41/71), 56.3(47/72), 56.8(48/73)

Mallory - (NA), 88.3(NR), 88.3(NR), 88.3(NR), 88.3(NR), 72.2(NR), 65.6(NR), 62.5(NR), 64.3(NR) 62.5(NR), 61.7(NR), 65.5(NR), 60.8(NR), 64.3(NR), 63.1(NR), 66(NR), 67.1(NR), 66.9(NR)

Woods - * IR(all season)

These grades are just a tool, and while I'm sure there are plenty of flaws in their system, they use it to grade all the players the same with it.

So first off we can say there are 32 starting TEs in the league. Quite a few even start two TEs. So we will go with half. (48 TEs; staters)

Ogletree finished with the 24th best grade. Firmly in the starter category. While having a great top 10 gun for 7-8 weeks last year.

Cox finished graded out at #35, while having a good run in the top 20-25. Owed $5.9m though...

Granson ended up grading out at #48, after an up and down year.

That's (3) TEs in the top 48 there(above mentioned starting positions in the league)

Then 2 bonuses:

1. Mallory - had a grade of 66.9, unfortunately he didn't qualify for rankings do to snaps. If we would've qualified he would of been the top 24 with Ogletree.

2. Woods is supposed to be the best of them all. Can he return to health and pick up where his trajectory left off?

TE is definitely not a big problem here.

Saying that I would take Cox's $5.9m and use it towards signing Hunter Henry.

If Bowers is there at #15 I would hesitate to pick him up.

• Like 2

The colts need te’s that can block, they don’t have to be top receivers. When you pay a rb franchise money and have a running qb you need to run a two te offense and they have to be good blockers. I have never liked granson.

1 hour ago, w87r said:

If Bowers is there at #15 I would hesitate to pick him up.

To me the question is who brings the most  “Explosive” element to this offense

Think separation. Think take the top off the defense.

Separation opens up needed running lanes.  Separation gives more room for underneath passing.

The question is

Bowers or Brian Thomas (AD Mitchell)?

IMHO these two WRs would give more separation 

would love Bowers if they pick him, but for this offense…..

…..to match our strong armed QB

We need that burner WR

14 hours ago, compuls1v3 said:

Every time I watch a game I find at least one or two whiffs.  I don't think he's decent.  But that's just my opinion. 

I have no idea what they will do with MAC

I was putting him in the cut category in my mock drafts. 

CB was giving glowing thoughts on “MOE” in the  offseason 

My guess is as good as yours

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

I have no idea what they will do with MAC

I was putting him in the cut category in my mock drafts. 

CB was giving glowing thoughts on “MOE” in the  offseason 

My guess is as good as yours

Pumping him up to help him get his next gig?

20 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

It’s also PFF. Two of those weeks where he  graded top 5, I don’t think he caught a pass (JAC and CLE).

He’s also a STer, so I wonder if these were overall grades, or just his grade as a TE. Or if that gets separated (don’t have PFF sub).

Noticed too that his PFF grades regressed as his ST snaps decreased. Could just be a coincidence though.

44 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

It’s also PFF. Two of those weeks where he  graded top 5, I don’t think he caught a pass (JAC and CLE).

He’s also a STer, so I wonder if these were overall grades, or just his grade as a TE. Or if that gets separated (don’t have PFF sub).

Noticed too that his PFF grades regressed as his ST snaps decreased. Could just be a coincidence though.

Again….  It’s worth noting….   For all the regression over the course of the season, he ended ranked 24th out of 73 graded tight ends.   Top third of his class.   

I find the talk of him getting released over any issue other than his legal problems to be preposterous.   The argument for cutting being made by some is AO was an A student, but he slumped to being only a B Student.   Does that make any sense? 

The kid was mostly a wide receiver in college and put on weight to be a tight end.  He's literally learning how to be a TE in the NFL.   Playing wise, so far so good.  His legal problems are the only real problem.