Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brock Bowers or Quinyon Mitchell

Quinyon Mitchell or Brock Bowers  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you pick sitting at 15

• Quinyon Mitchell
    • Brock Bowers

I would put some money on the fact neither of these players will end up being there at 15, but in this scenario they have both fallen and I have also won the lottery.

Mitchell is a stud, if he wasn’t a small school prospect he wouldn’t get out of the top 5-7 picks. In my opinion he is ahead of Wiggins and had one of the best pre draft processes. Dude can ball and I don’t think there is any doubt, in my eyes he may be the best DB to come out since sauce.

Bowers is a stud and no doubt a blue chip prospect who if he falls it will only be because of his position. He’s been touted as one of the best TE’s the past 2 seasons and I absolutely feel like he’s lived up too it. A little strength training and work with blocking and he will be a complete tight end.

Both guys can be difference makers on our team. Which one are you going with?

• Like 1

Bowers to me because putting top talent around AR is priority #1. I think that Mitchell will make it to our pick and be the best player available. It would not surprise me to have Mitchell be the pick, and I'd be thrilled.

• Like 2

Bowers if there.

I am not convinced he would be(or even past 10). Agreeing with KB's point, getting a possible elite TE for a developing QB would be a huge win.

• Like 1

Bowers. You gotta give AR the best possible chance to succeed. I’m saying that while feeling the defense needs the most help. Priority right now is evaluating AR. 

• Like 3

From a pure prospect point of view:

Bowers > Mitchell

From a need / team situation point of view:

Mitchell > Bowers

I agree that it's most likely neither of them will be available to us when we pick at 15.  But we can dream, right?

• Like 1

If these are the only two choices, then Bowers.   I don’t think Ballard wants to spend Pick 15 on a corner.   Maybe if the Colts trade down once or twice but that wasn’t offered as an option.  

• Like 3

We already have a 6'3 pass catching high end. His name is Kylen Granson. With Woods and probably Ogletree coming back I really don't think we will pick Bowers. He's not Kelce or Gronk. Instead we need a dynamic WR, CB or edge for #15.

"We need to be more explosive" 

Ballard quote

IMHO that means a field stretching WR

We can get that in round 1 or 2

I see playmaking FS, Stud DE, dynamic WR s as a MUCH, MUCH, bigger needs than a CB or TE in round 1

My hope is that we grab a DE in FA (prolly not gonna happen)

My hope is that we come out of round 1 with Brian Thomas or AD Mitchell

My hope is that we get one of the FS in draft, or in FA

I watched both players vs Alabama this year.

Brian Thomas had a so so game, he was MOSTLY shutdown by the Alabama DBs

Mitchell was many times uncoverable and made the Alabama CBs that will be first round

CBs look stuck in glue

Bowers is great to think about, but it looks like Ogletree will be playing this year, not as good as Bowers, but

there was a chemistry between AR and he, early on

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Mitchell was many times uncoverable and made the Alabama CBs that will be first round

CBs look stuck in glue

One thing about both players vs Bama.

Thomas should of had two more TDs that season from that game alone. It was a Alec Pierce type game. He wasn't looked at when he was open. One was a crosser. He completely beat his cb and the lb. The second one was the exact route Piece ran against the Texans early in the season. Split the safeties and his cb was way behind him.

For Mitchell, this is actually most games, I want to see him use that 4.3 speed. Listening to locked on colts yesterday (Mondays episode) and during an interview he said he only ran his routes at 70%. Makes sense to because you don't see 4.3 speed on tape. Might be why his routes, cuts, and fakes are so smooth. Dude never slows down (or went full speed) during his routes and he was beating people that way.

I'm warming up to BTJ the more I look into it (practically forcing myself to see it). I think Coach Wayne can make him into something decent. Mitchell is still who I want.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KB said:

One thing about both players vs Bama.

Thomas should of had two more TDs that season from that game alone. It was a Alec Pierce type game. He wasn't looked at when he was open. One was a crosser. He completely beat his cb and the lb. The second one was the exact route Piece ran against the Texans early in the season. Split the safeties and his cb was way behind him.

For Mitchell, this is actually most games, I want to see him use that 4.3 speed. Listening to locked on colts yesterday (Mondays episode) and during an interview he said he only ran his routes at 70%. Makes sense to because you don't see 4.3 speed on tape. Might be why his routes, cuts, and fakes are so smooth. Dude never slows down (or went full speed) during his routes and he was beating people that way.

I'm warming up to BTJ the more I look into it (practically forcing myself to see it). I think Coach Wayne can make him into something decent. Mitchell is still who I want.

I would be happy with either

I would LOVE to no longer see 8 man box defense against our offense

A dragster WR that can catch is EXACTLY what the doctor ordered for this offense

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

Ballard quote

I see playmaking FS, Stud DE, dynamic WR s as a MUCH, MUCH, bigger needs than a CB or TE in round 1

CBs look stuck in glue

Bowers is great to think about, but it looks like Ogletree will be playing this year, not as good as Bowers, but

Bowers could also make us more explosive. Not only is he capable of explosive plays himself, but his presence could free up some of our other guys. I’m a Bama fan, so I don’t like Georgia at all. Bowers was the real deal from day 1 as a true freshman, though. When your team played against UGA, he was a guy you definitely kept an eye on.

That said, I wouldn’t mind either of the WRs you mentioned. I just wanted to point out that we could still be aiming for more explosion on offense by selecting Bowers.

• Like 2

On 3/6/2024 at 8:52 AM, Dr. T said:

We already have a 6'3 pass catching high end. His name is Kylen Granson. With Woods and probably Ogletree coming back I really don't think we will pick Bowers. He's not Kelce or Gronk. Instead we need a dynamic WR, CB or edge for #15.

I agree and I don't want a TE in the first round unless it is a Dallas Clark lol

• Like 1

I would say Quinyon if forced to choose.  However, I’m starting to believe that Ballard’s strong preference for long-armed CBs would preclude him from selecting Mitchell and his 31” arms that high in the draft.  I think he considers 32” arms a minimum for a major addition.  Just a guess, though.  I’d see us trading down and targeting one of the WR prospects, like Worthy or Adonai.

• Like 1

How I see it, the easiest way to improve our team is to improve our defense specifically the secondary. We were ranked 11th ppg on offense and 28th points allowed. So by adding more talent to the defense hopefully we can allow less points per game.

I'll say this: like many folks say, both these guys could be gone when we pick.....buttttttttt

This is a very, very, very good WR and OL draft class. And there are at least 4 QBs likely going before pick 15 (Caleb, Drake, Jayden, McCarthy- and McCarthy by the experts I tend to trust is said to be a lot higher in teams' minds than in the casual fan's minds). 

If those 4 QBs go before the Colts pick and some of the elite WR/OL guys go....it is entirely feasible one or both of those guys mentioned falls to 15. 

If so, I am taking Bowers all day.

You want to hit on dynamic offensive playmakers. He immediately changes what you can do on offense. Steichen would scheme him into superstardom here. 

I've seen many comps for both guys....but the most common I have seen for Bowers (and seen many places) is George Kittle. Now I don't care what round Kittle was taken in (I know he was a later round pick). The reality is if you told me I could add Kittle to our team or Lattimore to our team, I am taking Kittle over and over again.

Bowers is my dream pick since the only offensive weapons I would prefer over him are MHJ, Nabers and Odunze.  

Brian Thomas Jr is a heck of a consolation prize if he ends up being the pick also. 

At the end of the day, I like Mitchell a lot. I think I might like Arnold a tiny bit more, but it is close. 

But I would load up the offense with young, cheap guys and then if we are going to spend any money, spend it on defense....namely the secondary.....where there are tonnnnnnnnns of great DBs out there...especially safeties. 

Just my two cents. Glad to be back on the boards w some Draft fever! 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

We are desperate for a shutdown corner. It totally changes how you can mix your coverages to Surprise the QB.

Respectfully…

Not wishing to offend

If we actually played a man to man defense I would be with you 100%

On our very boring, but safe defense…… the FS AND DL are much bigger factors than getting the high end press corner

If we do draft or obtain a true press corner, then I would actually be happy, because it would mean they would actually MIX things up more with blitzes

My bet is that he stays with the safe 4-3 zone

but…. What do I know?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TomDiggs said:

I'll say this: like many folks say, both these guys could be gone when we pick.....buttttttttt

This is a very, very, very good WR and OL draft class. And there are at least 4 QBs likely going before pick 15 (Caleb, Drake, Jayden, McCarthy- and McCarthy by the experts I tend to trust is said to be a lot higher in teams' minds than in the casual fan's minds). 

If those 4 QBs go before the Colts pick and some of the elite WR/OL guys go....it is entirely feasible one or both of those guys mentioned falls to 15. 

If so, I am taking Bowers all day.

You want to hit on dynamic offensive playmakers. He immediately changes what you can do on offense. Steichen would scheme him into superstardom here. 

I've seen many comps for both guys....but the most common I have seen for Bowers (and seen many places) is George Kittle. Now I don't care what round Kittle was taken in (I know he was a later round pick). The reality is if you told me I could add Kittle to our team or Lattimore to our team, I am taking Kittle over and over again.

Bowers is my dream pick since the only offensive weapons I would prefer over him are MHJ, Nabers and Odunze.  

Brian Thomas Jr is a heck of a consolation prize if he ends up being the pick also. 

At the end of the day, I like Mitchell a lot. I think I might like Arnold a tiny bit more, but it is close. 

But I would load up the offense with young, cheap guys and then if we are going to spend any money, spend it on defense....namely the secondary.....where there are tonnnnnnnnns of great DBs out there...especially safeties. 

Just my two cents. Glad to be back on the boards w some Draft fever! 

I think Kittle is a bad comp to Bowers, because Kittle is a great blocker (one of the best blocking TEs) and is used in-line. Bowers really shouldn't be used in-line to the degree that Kittle is, as he is more of a Dallas Clark (F) type. I'm not saying he can't be used there but it's not his strength.

• Like 1

I think both are gone by pick 13. I think it's a different CB , Edge or a trade down 7 -10 spots for a WR.  I think the 1st and 3rd options I have are the most likely. Don't look for the colts to accumulate 3rd day picks as this draft is loaded in rounds 1-3 and really falls off somewhere in round 4. That's what I've read , not pretending to have that kind of knowledge .

9 hours ago, Zoltan said:

I think Kittle is a bad comp to Bowers, because Kittle is a great blocker (one of the best blocking TEs) and is used in-line. Bowers really shouldn't be used in-line to the degree that Kittle is, as he is more of a Dallas Clark (F) type. I'm not saying he can't be used there but it's not his strength.

100% agreed on the blocking and Kittle's prowess there. 

And maybe it is lazy takes on the part of experts but I would say 75% of the takes I see on player comps for him are Kittle and the others are guys like McBride and Pitts.

All that said here,  are just a few sources w the Kittle comp.....I admit I haven't watched tonnnns of film on Bowers. I've just seen him play a handful of times and the impact he makes. I could see him ascending to top-5 TE status quickly in the right scheme. Finding the next Dallas Clark would be awesome if he works out that way. I imagine he could actually be even better though.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10091024-brock-bowers-nfl-draft-2024-scouting-report-for-georgia-te

https://www.nfl.com/news/scouting-brock-bowers-georgia-tight-end-similar-to-49ers-pro-bowler-george-kittl

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/brock-bowers/3200424f-5719-6560-aaaa-d9f4cc244721

5 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

100% agreed on the blocking and Kittle's prowess there. 

And maybe it is lazy takes on the part of experts but I would say 75% of the takes I see on player comps for him are Kittle and the others are guys like McBride and Pitts.

All that said here,  are just a few sources w the Kittle comp.....I admit I haven't watched tonnnns of film on Bowers. I've just seen him play a handful of times and the impact he makes. I could see him ascending to top-5 TE status quickly in the right scheme. Finding the next Dallas Clark would be awesome if he works out that way. I imagine he could actually be even better though.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10091024-brock-bowers-nfl-draft-2024-scouting-report-for-georgia-te

https://www.nfl.com/news/scouting-brock-bowers-georgia-tight-end-similar-to-49ers-pro-bowler-george-kittl

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/brock-bowers/3200424f-5719-6560-aaaa-d9f4cc244721

Yeah I don’t get it, they seem to contradict themselves in their write ups, even the NFL comp said and I’m paraphrasing he’s George Kittle without Kittles blocking ability. Which is kind of an important part of his game. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Yeah I don’t get it, they seem to contradict themselves in their write ups, even the NFL comp said and I’m paraphrasing he’s George Kittle without Kittles blocking ability. Which is kind of an important part of his game. 

1 million percent agreed.

I guess he's a more athletic Kittle without the blocking chops....which means not Kittle lol.

I did see some La Porta comps that could be solid based on how he set the world on fire as a rookie and the athletic prowess.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2024 at 9:32 PM, NewColtsFan said:

And what happens when Bowers is picked well before the Colts turn?   

Well see now you're going outside the parameters set by the OP. :hat:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not using a 1st round pick on a mid-major guy. I want to see consistent production against top tier talent. Bowers had that in college.  Also MIGHT help with another outlet so AR does run as much thinking he is Christian Okoye.

On 3/6/2024 at 6:04 AM, MikeCurtis said:

Ballard quote

CBs look stuck in glue

We don't have a real explosive pass catcher on the roster. Ogletree, Pierce, etc have no impact 

On 3/12/2024 at 8:13 AM, wig said:

We don't have a real explosive pass catcher on the roster. Ogletree, Pierce, etc have no impact 

They haven’t had much impact as of yet.   

Ogletree only played one year out of two.  And Pierce, for all the complaining people do about him, is averaging 15 yards per catch after his two seasons.   Plenty of people now want to see Pierce and Ogletree with Richardson throwing to them.  

• Like 1

On 3/14/2024 at 4:35 PM, NewColtsFan said:

They haven’t had much impact as of yet.   

Ogletree only played one year out of two.  And Pierce, for all the complaining people do about him, is averaging 15 yards per catch after his two seasons.   Plenty of people now want to see Pierce and Ogletree with Richardson throwing to them.  

I'm not saying they are bad players, I'm saying they haven't shown enough impact to say we shouldn't draft their position in the first. 

• Thanks 1