Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ogletree arrested for domestic battery (MERGE)

twfish

49 minutes ago, cbear said:

Weren't some here criticizing the team for worrying about a guy's character too much and that was hurting the team by depleting the potential talent pool? Or was that just more Ballard bashing at the time?

Ballard has blabbed and blabbed about getting high character guys, horseshoe guys, since he got to Indy and now we can’t go a week without some Colt being in the news. I remember when he said, after a few years, something like “look, y’all know me, I’m looking you in the eye and telling you, and you know I shoot straight, look, our locker room can now handle some questionable characters because the culture is so strong.” Ballard is so full of it it’s funny. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Ballard has blabbed and blabbed about getting high character guys, horseshoe guys, since he got to Indy and now we can’t go a week without some Colt being in the news. I remember when he said, after a few years, something like “look, y’all know me, I’m looking you in the eye and telling you, and you know I shoot straight, look, our locker room can now handle some questionable characters because the culture is so strong.” Ballard is so full of it it’s funny. 

Yep. I remember this 100%. There's no illusion of great character anymore. The curtain is being peeled back. All of Ballard's mystique is gone. He's a mortal GM that can and has made mistakes. Even things like the draft and character players have been exposed. Sucks, but it is what it is. We just have to hope Richardson works out because Ballard is no superhero GM like some of us here thought he was. Can't take him serious anymore. I used to listen to his press conferences and interviews religiously. Now they make me sick. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Outside of some marijuana and bets being placed, what HORRIBLE thing like this has happened? 

You’re not being dramatic at all here. 

That’s, what, 8 or 9 guys this season? I guess you could say I was being hyperbolic with saying it was a weekly occurrence, but not dramatic. To me, it’s just been too many guys doing questionable things. If it doesn’t bother you, fine w/ me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

How in the world do you connect the dots to Frank?!?  

This is ridiculous. 

He's been fired twice and is no longer in football and he's still the whipping boy of many frustrated fans here. Always need someone to hate on. 

I remember Ballard (and Reich) were criticized by many for taking character too seriously. "They take too many nice guys." Now that some players have gotten into trouble he's getting blamed for that. Takes too many nice guys...takes too many bad guys. Sad is thing probably a lot of the same fans are blaming him for both. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Two weeks is not a sign of something that you can’t go a week without.  When you have 53 guys on an active rooster and 12 more on a practice squad plus IR guys some are going to get into trouble occasionally.  All NFL teams deal with this.  This not some sign that Ballard hasn’t brought in the high character guys or that the team can’t handle some guys who are a little rough around the edges.  Ballard bragging about it is the exact samething all GMs do we just don’t pay attention to the other 31 because they aren’t the Colts GM.  Tell me a time you’ve heard a GM stand there and go yep I’ve built a roster full of knuckleheads.  It hasn’t happened because all teams are looking for high character guys.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

There has been an accusation from what I have seen. Nobody here saw what happened and I am pretty sure there is no video tape ether, just a accusation. Anyone here ever know someone accused of something, rightly or wrongly, and you are shocked by it? Does that mean you are a bad judge of character? Maybe he did, maybe not, nobody here knows for sure. Talk about character, what about everyone here assuming something over a accusation.

16 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

You should always be innocent to improve and guilty. However, this happens all over the league all over the time. It Hass to spin around the rest on some team. Very bad luck. I hope it’s not true.

a friend of mine played in hs with Lawrence Taylor and hung out with him when he was playing for the giants. He told me coaches know how to wind players up to get them to play like crazy on the field, but nobody teaches them how to go back to normal off the field. Some are capable of having that jackel and Hyde personality on their own, but some can’t. It’s a shame, they are a commodity they use to get to their end goal.

1 hour ago, cbear said:

He's been fired twice and is no longer in football and he's still the whipping boy of many frustrated fans here. Always need someone to hate on. 

I remember Ballard (and Reich) were criticized by many for taking character too seriously. "They take too many nice guys." Now that some players have gotten into trouble he's getting blamed for that. Takes too many nice guys...takes too many bad guys. Sad is thing probably a lot of the same fans are blaming him for both. 

The difference is that Ballard prioritized character over talent. So if the players are less talented and have character concerns, that's a bad thing. At least other teams who are taking risks on players with character concerns are normally doing it because the talent ceiling is high. If the talent ceiling is lower and the players still get in trouble, what's the point?

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

Two weeks is not a sign of something that you can’t go a week without.  When you have 53 guys on an active rooster and 12 more on a practice squad plus IR guys some are going to get into trouble occasionally.  All NFL teams deal with this.  This not some sign that Ballard hasn’t brought in the high character guys or that the team can’t handle some guys who are a little rough around the edges.  Ballard bragging about it is the exact samething all GMs do we just don’t pay attention to the other 31 because they aren’t the Colts GM.  Tell me a time you’ve heard a GM stand there and go yep I’ve built a roster full of knuckleheads.  It hasn’t happened because all teams are looking for high character guys.  

You're assuming the other 31 GMs prioritize character over talent. That may be true for a few, but I guarantee it isn't true for all of them. You really don't hear about any team except the Colts have this viewpoint. Ballard and Reich were like a preacher (ironic since Reich was a preacher) who sheltered their children and didn't allow anything outside the bubble affect their children to the point where it was unhealthy. The Colts had a great group of character guys who didn't have elite talent levels, and once the character got exposed, the talent didn't have a high ceiling. 

All teams look for high character guys, but they don't sacrifice the talent level to do it. We have a bunch of nice guys who are mediocre football players for the most part. You can look up to them, but they won't win you a SB. Only chance we really have is with AR.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShuteAt168 said:

That’s, what, 8 or 9 guys this season? I guess you could say I was being hyperbolic with saying it was a weekly occurrence, but not dramatic. To me, it’s just been too many guys doing questionable things. If it doesn’t bother you, fine w/ me. 

There are always going to be players on every team doing questionable things. Happens every year. Believing that it’s suddenly a thing with Indy is keeping your head in the sand. I in no way condone what Ogletree did, and I don’t condone when players do anything stupid. But let’s not act like it’s suddenly a new thing. 

• Like 1

Just now, Indyfan4life said:

There are always going to be players on every team doing questionable things. Happens every year. Believing that it’s suddenly a thing with Indy is keeping your head in the sand. I in no way condone what Ogletree did, and I don’t condone when players do anything stupid. But let’s not act like it’s suddenly a new thing. 

It's not a new thing, but when you are prioritizing character over talent, then it looks bad on the organization for drafting players because of their character. Most of these players who got in trouble with PEDs or the law were draft picks as well.

37 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Have a lot of other teams had 8, 9 guys get in trouble this year? PED, gambling, whatever Ogletree did (allegedly), whatever the two brain surgeons got suspended for, etc. Maybe a lot of other teams have this level of poor behavior but I kind of doubt it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

Are there a lot of teams w the level of questionable player behavior as the Colts? 8-9 guys? Maybe there are. Doubt it. 

4 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The stuff Steichen has put up with this season is incredible. I don’t know if this is a reflection of Reich and that they are going to have to clean house.

These players are grown men, grown people will do what they want to do regardless who is rooting for them

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Have a lot of other teams had 8, 9 guys get in trouble this year? PED, gambling, whatever Ogletree did (allegedly), whatever the two brain surgeons got suspended for, etc. Maybe a lot of other teams have this level of poor behavior but I kind of doubt it. 

Yes they do.  Unless it’s a star player though or a major story you don’t hear much about it.  How many Lions got suspended for gambling issues this year?  It happens.  Also eight or nine is a bit over the top.  You had Rodgers, Grover, McKnize, Brown and Olgetree.  I am not counting Lammons as that happened before the Colts signed him.  

Of the above they released one, suspended two (pretty much done to make sure they didn’t get paid or they would have released them) and if reports are to believed maybe released the last guy.  The only one they didn’t punish further was Grover and yeah sorry star players sometimes get more chances.  So of the five they effectively fired four of them.  What more would you like the Colts to do?  

All I heard last year from fans were that the Colts focused too much on character guys and “needed some dawgs”.  Well this is what comes with that and now some of the same fans are bashing them for doing what they said they wanted.  

Again when you are dealing with roughly 70 some players (when you count the active roster, practice squad and IR guys) you are going to have some incidents.  It happens.  This isn’t the early 2000’s Pacers that were making the news every week for having the police called on them and you have a real issue to the point they had blow up the whole team and start over.  

Still if you want to over react and make a mole hill into a mountain, which is what you are doing, please do so.  You have that right here. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, runthepost said:

These players are grown men, grown people will do what they want to do regardless who is rooting for them

Exactly hold the guys responsible not take a shot a coach that was fired over a year ago.  It’s not the coaches job to baby sit these guys.  When players get arrested or are gambling on their own team without the team’s knowledge that’s on the player not the coach.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, husker61 said:

There has been an accusation from what I have seen. Nobody here saw what happened and I am pretty sure there is no video tape ether, just an accusation. Anyone here ever know someone accused of something, rightly or wrongly, and you are shocked by it? Does that mean you are a bad judge of character? Maybe he did, maybe not, nobody here knows for sure. Talk about character, what about everyone here assuming something over an is accusation.

This isn’t a civil lawsuit.

This is a criminal case in which he was arrested on. This means law enforcement had probable cause. Much more than an accusation.

Sure innocent I’m too proven guilty but there was evidence of a crime, not just an accusation.

• Like 1

I was booked and had fingerprints for a domestic by the police until they found no physical evidence and she just lied because she was bitter - there was no fight verbally or physically, she just called 9-11

So, I will withhold judgement until it is official.

Edited by Superman
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

The colts had five not 8 or 9 you making it sound worse than it is.

Ogletree. Battery 
McKenzie. Conduct 

Brown. Conduct 

Defensive end Al-Quadin Muhammad, six games for violating the league’s performance-enhancing substances policy.

Defensive tackle Grover Stewart, six games for violating the PED policy.

Cornerback Chris Lammons, three games for violating the league’s personal conduct policy.

Cornerback Isaiah Rodgers, indefinitely for violation the league’s gambling policy.

Linebacker Rashod Berry, indefinitely for violating the league’s gambling policy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ballard: "Look, I mean, that's always going to be a big emphasis of ours. Will we be perfect? No. But we're going to make a big emphasis to get the right type of people in the locker room. I just believe long-term, that's what wins. And we don't only want to represent the Colts, they're representing the city of Indianapolis and the state of Indiana, and it's important that we get the right type of people to represent our organization and our community."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, cbear said:

Weren't some here criticizing the team for worrying about a guy's character too much and that was hurting the team by depleting the potential talent pool? Or was that just more Ballard bashing at the time?

Isn't it possible the biggest character issue here is that Drew hooked up with someone with character issues? Probably substance abuse issues.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Ballard: "Look, I mean, that's always going to be a big emphasis of ours. Will we be perfect? No. But we're going to make a big emphasis to get the right type of people in the locker room. I just believe long-term, that's what wins. And we don't only want to represent the Colts, they're representing the city of Indianapolis and the state of Indiana, and it's important that we get the right type of people to represent our organization and our community."

What's wrong with that?

3 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

I was booked and had fingerprints for a domestic by the police until they found no physical evidence and she just lied because she was bitter - there was no fight verbally or physically, she just called 9-11 to be a batch.

So, I will withhold judgement until it is official.

Two sides to every story, at least.  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

The colts had five not 8 or 9 you making it sound worse than it is.

Ogletree. Battery 
McKenzie. Conduct 

Brown. Conduct 

Defensive end Al-Quadin Muhammad, six games for violating the league’s performance-enhancing substances policy.

Cornerback Chris Lammons, three games for violating the league’s personal conduct policy.

Cornerback Isaiah Rodgers, indefinitely for violation the league’s gambling policy.

Linebacker Rashod Berry, indefinitely for violating the league’s gambling policy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39207197/colts-drew-ogletree-arrested-alleged-domestic-violence

“The first officer on the scene wrote in a probable cause affidavit provided to ESPN that the woman was discovered in an upstairs bedroom in pain. The woman told police that Ogletree "body slammed" her to the ground during an argument. An ambulance was called and the woman was transported to the hospital, police said.

The confrontation, according to the affidavit, happened while Ogletree's young son was in the home. After further investigation, an arrest warrant was issued Thursday and Ogletree turned himself in to the Hendricks County Jail on Friday.” 

yikes

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Ogletree. Battery 
McKenzie. Conduct 

Brown. Conduct 

The Lemmons one happened before he was a colt.

24 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Ogletree. Battery 
McKenzie. Conduct 

Brown. Conduct 

So much for the culture in the room.

• Like 1