Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bradley's D

bleed blue4life

Bradley hasn’t had a lot to work with this year. But if Steichen wants to make a change I trust he will make the right decision.

8 minutes ago, Bravo said:

Slow and conservative. Hate it.

If the Colts are going to give up 34 points would much rather them be aggressive.

You are correct here. At least try and blitz and go down swinging. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think we needed more blitzing today, but that's hard considering we had inexperienced cover guys on the outside

to match the higher talent that the Bengals had at WR. 

I think you are 100% correct here. This is why I am not too hard on Bradley.  But I also won’t get mad if Steichen wants to make a chance. We have to fix this defense. That means being much more aggressive and not go into the season with only Brent’s as the high CB pick.  He can’t stay healthy yet either. Need to go get a vet and draft.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bleed blue4life said:

Anyone else tired of this bend but do not break approach on defense? Never sends more than 4 after the qb.Drives me crazy.We are playing back up qb's.Put some pressure on em

I’d be okay with it if it was bend but don’t break, they break all the time.

• Like 1

I've been posting for more blitzing all year, and then people say oh, well you can't with our secondary. 

This team is 30th in the league at blitzing. Yes, the front 4 get a decent amount of sacks, but cmon. The Colts constantly make mediocre QB's look like all-stars week in and week out. 

Barely ever blitzing (esp backup QB's) is ridiculous.

Grow a pair and pressure the QB instead of leaving your secondary 10 yards off the ball and letting the other team march down the field. 

I'm also sick of watching screens go for 20+ yards. Unreal. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I turned off the radio when the bengals were driving to go up 3 scores. I couldn’t take hearing the fans cheer every single play and Matt Taylor saying The 45 the 50 the 45 the 40 the 35 the 30 and he’s finally brought down at the 24 yard line in Colts territory. Or, and they bengals convert another 1st down on a 12, 15, 25 yard pass, or 50 yard screen. Demoralizing. 

this game was the game I wanted to see if the Colts would buy into their own hype. And it felt like they did just that. 

don’t get me started on the referees love fest for Ohio either. 

1 minute ago, Indyfan4life said:

The thing is, we ALWAYS do this. We’ve been doing this since Dungy. 

yeah cause we keep hiring outdated DCs. Hopefully , with a bottom of the league ranking, Bradley will go after the season. Question is, who replaces him

Fifty years of defensive game planning and strategy playing out right in front of our eyes again this season. You have to mix up your defense and throw in some blitzes from time to time so your defense is more effective. Our defense doesn't even play that badly most of the time. I know the stat, going into yesterdays game we had blitzed on the lowest % of defensive snaps of the 32 teams this season and were 2nd in sacks, just imagine how much more effective this defense could be with just 4 or 5 more blitzes mixed in per game!

Experience matters in the secondary.  Look no further than the loss of Gilmore.  Big difference now that he has gone and we are playing inexperienced players learning on the fly.  Zone is the most popular coverage in the league.  It works especially with an experienced secondary and linebacker crew.  We don’t have either right now.

• Like 1

The biggest head scratcher to me is these coaches reviewing the tape every week and they can’t see this? You can’t argue our talent and what to run when we literally play soft coverage week in and week out. At least play some press man and make them beat you, because they’re kicking our * anyway

• Thanks 2

This is actually a decent defense

You need pass rush - we didn’t have it

You need good LB play - we didn’t have it except for 44

You need a playmaking FS - We don’t have it

You need physical CBs that can tackle -  We didn’t have it

Other than that it was amazing. 😀

I also amazed that we kept trying to run against an 8 man box 

again and again

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

again and again

Linebacker play was so bad yesterday. Those screens aren’t as affective with bad line backer play. Oline wasn’t great either. Steichen needs to be more creative in the run game. He also came out throwing at the beginning and didn’t try to establish the run early.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, MikChiken said:

The biggest head scratcher to me is these coaches reviewing the tape every week and they can’t see this? You can’t argue our talent and what to run when we literally play soft coverage week in and week out. At least play some press man and make them beat you, because they’re kicking our * anyway

Kinda makes you think don't it? LoL

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

this game was the game I wanted to see if the Colts would buy into their own hype. And it felt like they did just that. 

This was my concern too. A comment EJ Speed made during one of his interviews last week was WAY too cocky and had me worried they were getting overconfident. Yep.....

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

yeah cause we keep hiring outdated DCs. Hopefully , with a bottom of the league ranking, Bradley will go after the season. Question is, who replaces him

I like Gus as a man, but I'm definitely leaning towards wanting him gone after this season. I've said it a few times, but I think he is the opposite of Steichen when it comes to talent utilization. Steichen adjusts his scheme to what his players do best and Gus makes players fit into his scheme. We need a much more innovative scheme and imaginative playcalling.

If we decided to go the route of guys that have no NFL DC experience:

- DJ Eliot, Eagles LB coach - A lot of college experience, Steichen has familiarity with him.

-Mike Rothenberg, Jets LB coach -  Would bring Saleh's creative scheme, has a lot of college and solid pro experience. Was also the DC for the National team in the 22 Senior Bowl.

Assuming he doesn't get a HC position this go around, Ejiro Every could be an option, especially since he spent a lot of time interviewing with our team and there's some familiarity of what his defensive vision is.

The thing is, we are playing backup or bad qbs that we should be blitzing often. We arent blitzing at all thats the issue. Browning isnt good and should have been blitzed to force him to throw under pressure. The rest of the QBs we face arent that good and should be blitxed a lot to pressure them no matter what.

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

again and again

Bradley has a bunch of bums in his back 7. This kind of results should be Expected. We are Not what some knuckleheads think we should be.

With Minshews arm teams should always play 8 in the box. Stop our run game and give him his dink and dunks. He is constantly inconsistent and struggles to get all the way to the end zone.

We are now playing like we were expected to play.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shive said:

This was my concern too. A comment EJ Speed made during one of his interviews last week was WAY too cocky and had me worried they were getting overconfident. Yep....

it was something I was hoping to see leave with Frank Reich. Any time the colts were doing well, and the media and fans started to hype them, they’d buy into their invincibility. 

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

Bradley has a bunch of bums in his back 7. This kind of results should be Expected. We are Not what some knuckleheads think we should be.

With Minshews arm teams should always play 8 in the box. Stop our run game and give him his dink and dunks. He is constantly inconsistent and struggles to get all the way to the end zone.

I wouldnt say that ALL of our back 7 are bad

We had one LB on the field yesterday that could actually play 

Our CBs were getting mauled by the WRs of the Bengals

(This is ANOTHER example of WHY we need a WR1 as Well as Pittman)

We NEED a playmaking FS that is not on this team today.....  

We NEED an OLB that can make a tackle. - Missing Speed KILLED this defense....

In the offseason, we need to replace SHAQ

The WEAK OL from the Bengals stopped our DL with ease We did NOT generate pass rush

Maybe its time that we BUY a DE in FA

We have our QB and LT on contract......  

And lastly

If you see the defense in an 8 man box...... why run the ball? - Time to Audible

JT would have been able to bounce a few of those outside, but of course he didnt play

I like the gutsyness of our QB, but will be happy when AR5 is back

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I wouldnt say that ALL of our back 7 are bad

We had one LB on the field yesterday that could actually play 

Our CBs were getting mauled by the WRs of the Bengals

(This is ANOTHER example of WHY we need a WR1 as Well as Pittman)

We NEED a playmaking FS that is not on this team today.....  

We NEED an OLB that can make a tackle. - Missing Speed KILLED this defense....

In the offseason, we need to replace SHAQ

The WEAK OL from the Bengals stopped our DL with ease We did NOT generate pass rush

Maybe its time that we BUY a DE in FA

We have our QB and LT on contract......  

And lastly

If you see the defense in an 8 man box...... why run the ball? - Time to Audible

JT would have been able to bounce a few of those outside, but of course he didnt play

I like the gutsyness of our QB, but will be happy when AR5 is back

From what I know, it is not a weak OL. They have some good players on there - OBJ, Kappa and Ted Karras. It is a middle of the road OL, but not a bad one.

We talk soo much about being mentally strong and emotional intelligent but one loss and we want everybody fired, amazing.

Eventually, we want every DC fired.

I want Gus another year with Flowers, Brown and Brents back, maybe another veteran CB.

Give Gus a Micah Parsons and this D would be amazing, is not scheme, just personel.

Week 13, 2nd in sacks, 2nd in takeaways, Shane will not fire him.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

I've been posting for more blitzing all year, and then people say oh, well you can't with our secondary. 

This team is 30th in the league at blitzing. Yes, the front 4 get a decent amount of sacks, but cmon. The Colts constantly make mediocre QB's look like all-stars week in and week out. 

Barely ever blitzing (esp backup QB's) is ridiculous.

Grow a pair and pressure the QB instead of leaving your secondary 10 yards off the ball and letting the other team march down the field. 

I'm also sick of watching screens go for 20+ yards. Unreal. 

I agree that we need to blitz more, especially against 2nd string QBs.  The only comment that I made about blitzing is that it likely wouldn't stop the screens that killed us.  But yes, we need to blitz more.  Elite teams like the Cowboys and Eagles do it, so why shouldn't we?

12 minutes ago, DiogoSales said:

We talk soo much about being mentally strong and emotional intelligent but one loss and we want everybody fired, amazing.

Eventually, we want every DC fired.

I want Gus another year with Flowers, Brown and Brents back, maybe another veteran CB.

Give Gus a Micah Parsons and this D would be amazing, is not scheme, just personel.

Week 13, 2nd in sacks, 2nd in takeaways, Shane will not fire him.

I agree.  This isn't about scheme.  At least, not totally.  And it's not totally about defensive play calling either.  This is about personnel.  They've been down to 3rd/4th string and rookie DB's all year.  Their FS can play -- barely.  They were without Grover for 6 weeks.  Their DE's are good but not great.  Sacks have to be manufactured; they don't come from talent alone.  Their starting LB's make a lot of tackles, but are still not elite.  And the one guy who used to be the Big Playmaker on defense could no longer do it, and he's gone.

Gus tried running his standard Cover-3 earlier this year.  And his crappo backup CB's got completely toasted.  He's now playing a lot more Cover-2, Quarters, and Zone to accommodate his lack of skill at that position.  His two best players are a 3-technique DT and a Nickle Corner.  He doesn't dare blitz that much, because it would only be worse if they didn't get the sack.  It would be all-or-nothing.

I think he's done a pretty good job, considering his lack of talent on that side of the ball.

As you say, just give him One Prime Time Player, like Parsons, and it would be a whole lot easier.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

ballard must have liked gus and our defensive players. this is what he chose to start our season. they must all be better than we think they are, we just dont know talent and playmakers when we see them.