Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bradley's D

bleed blue4life

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

More completions with a better chance for touchdowns.  Zone done properly reduces big plays. 

Any scheme when done 'properly' achieves it's end, almost by definition. What I see with the Colts defense is a scheme that lets opponents stay on the field and burn the clock, getting plays in 7, 10, 12-yard chunks. Sometimes you have to adapt when what you're doing isn't working. Personally, I prefer to roll the dice and bring the heat with a lot more blitzing, especially when you can't play zone 'properly'.

• Like 2

On 1/4/2024 at 1:20 PM, ChuggaBeer said:

On the NFL ticker.    

Colts are the only team in the NFL with 4 players having at least 7 sacks each

But we need to draft a DE….

I mean every defense is good if you've got good players.

Bradley was a genius back in his Seattle days. Now all of a sudden he's a bum. You think Cam and all those guys had something to do with that??

We've had a lot of tough breaks on defense with regards to injuries and players coming/going.

I'm not pro Bradley or against him, just making a simple statement.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, masterlock said:

Any scheme when done 'properly' achieves it's end, almost by definition. What I see with the Colts defense is a scheme that lets opponents stay on the field and burn the clock, getting plays in 7, 10, 12-yard chunks. Sometimes you have to adapt when what you're doing isn't working. Personally, I prefer to roll the dice and bring the heat with a lot more blitzing, especially when you can't play zone 'properly'.

I don’t think we can blitz properly either.  We tried it last week on a number of occasions and it wasn’t successful.  Any scheme needs to have the right players to be successful and the practice and proficiency to make it work.  I don’t mind blitzing either but it can lead to big plays for the offense if it doesn’t work.  Zone coverages are harder for rookie quarterbacks to read and navigate.  They can get some yards but not necessarily score touchdowns.  Stroud passed for a lot of yards against us in Houston the first game but didn’t win the game or score a lot of points.  Hopefully we limit him again this time.

41 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I don’t think we can blitz properly either.  We tried it last week on a number of occasions and it wasn’t successful.  Any scheme needs to have the right players to be successful and the practice and proficiency to make it work.  I don’t mind blitzing either but it can lead to big plays for the offense if it doesn’t work.  Zone coverages are harder for rookie quarterbacks to read and navigate.  They can get some yards but not necessarily score touchdowns.  Stroud passed for a lot of yards against us in Houston the first game but didn’t win the game or score a lot of points.  Hopefully we limit him again this time.

I feel like we can blitz better than we can play zone. I agree that it wasn't that effective last week, but it's been very effective the few times Gus Bradley has called it earlier in the season.

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I disagree that we can't blitz.  We did great against the Ravens.  Maybe we just had a bad week last week.

IMO if Gus and the Colts play that 10 to 15 yards off of the receivers crap then the Colts will lose because Stroud will pick them apart like so many others have. If they trust the corners to close in some...maybe play some press and do some blitzing then they will win.