Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Browns post game reactions

GoColts8818

Just now, SR711 said:

The referees made some questionable calls, but at the end of the day we had the ball with like 334 left and went three and out. Even if we get one first down there, maybe run the thing down to the two minute warning, it’s a totally different game.   

Outside of the turnovers and officiating at the end, that was probably the biggest take home from this game: too many giveaway possessions, because of inability to consistently run the ball when we had to/opponents knew it was coming.

They did run on 1st and 2nd and threw on 3rd to try for the first. Cleveland burned two TOs. We just didn’t get the yardage.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Maybe Steichen should have more aware  he have a backup QB with Garrett on the other side. 

And you're playing against a guy just signed off the street, not Mahomes.  Bad situational awareness from Steichen in spots turned the game.  

Steichen will learn to take a boring W when it's in front of him.

Good:

-Josh Downs looking like WR1 for the Colts. We still need a true X, but he may be the best receiver on the team

-Running game was good I thought

-Thought Minshew played a solid game. Way better than last week

Bad:

-Refs should honestly be fired. They definitely had the Browns on their ticket

-Bad officiating aside, Baker is this years Matt Pryor. He has no business on the 53 man roster. It’s hard to believe he started the season as the starter

-Brents injury. The Browns passing game materialized soon as he went down.

-Dayo is hot and cold to me. He gets too many almost sacks and allows the QB to make plays that shouldn’t get off the ground:

Biggest takeaway: The Colts continue their trend of letting teams/individual players set precedents against them. Brown’s defense had no turnovers this season untill today.

• Like 1

I have a lot I'd like to say about the game, but nothing is more important then the fact that the refs #ed us over horribly. I hate using refball as an 'excuse', but that was egregiously horrible.

All these refs should be full time employees that are subjugated to performance based results (meaning, * up plays gets you FIRED). The way they operate ATM is awful and makes them incredibly untrustworthy. Somehow their union is a lot stronger than the NFLPA...

No one mentioned the extremely "chintzy" holding call on Fries. Huge play as it negated a 1st and 10 at around the 20 yard line. This lead up to the blocked FG and at the least a 6 point swing. Plus changed the momentum ...

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

Officiating was bad BUT that defense gave up a 30 and 17 yd pass play plus a couple of more WIDE open middle of the field pass plays on that game winning drive by the Browns!! Gus's defense STINKS!!!!! Made Walker look like Montana on that last drive BEFORE the penalties!!!! Why is Baker still on this roster anyway?

I was never high on Gus Bradley coming here. I disagree with his scheme and philosophy… I think we should’ve given Shane the chance to choose his own DC. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think you can point the finger at both today and be right.  Shane continues to prove he’s a rookie coach a lot.  Doesn’t mean he should be run out of town for it but it’s fair to point out he had some mistakes today too.  It was his play calling at the end of the half that left the Browns enough time to get a cheap 3 before halftime which ended up being the difference in the game.  At the same time your QB can’t turn it over four times in a game and you win.

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Maybe Steichen should have more aware  he have a backup QB with Garrett on the other side. 

The obvious fault here is 4 turnovers. That loses games. Those turnovers gave them 17 points. 

Did Steichen have some bad calls? Yes he did, but when he puts the team in position to score 38 points, his mistakes giving the Browns 3 is a minor thing. 

I’m calling out Chloe on this because she’s been harping on Steichen all game and now after, when this is CLEARLY another Minshow collapse. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Speed turnover the browns and refs took it right out of the colts hands. 

The crazy thing is they were discussing for awhile and could’ve done the right thing but they’re egos wouldn’t allow it. Then doubled down the next play awful.

11 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I just can’t get over that illegal contact call. Because the receiver cuts which baker pretty much just falls down and the WR was wide open. Baker didn’t affect his route at all. If there wasn’t pressure that would of been an easy td pass. 

otherwise no blame on the team for this loss the offense put up 38 points. Which is more than you can expect with a backup QB. The defense played very well but our CB group is bad with Flowers and Brents hurt which looked like he may go to IR. I thought Jaylon Jones did well but we are scraping the bottom of the barrel. 

Absolutely agree. No effect, receiver wide-open. I don't think I've ever been more disgusted by a bad call before. There's no such thing as celebrating a big play in the moment--you have to wait for the flag. 

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

There is a difference in actual play calling and situational awareness. The blocked FG and the turnover in the end zone were killers. Same thing we bashed Reich for.

Difference being Reich had years to learn from his mistakes. If years down the road Steichen is making the same mistakes then there’s a problem. 

He’s. A. Rookie. Head. Coach. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Minshew looking like a back up. Bad calls at the end but Colts ultimately did themselves in with the turnovers. MPJ needs extended now. Yeah he is a low #1 high #2 but he is good. Draft a burner in the 1st to pair with him and both will benefit from each other. 

MPJ had two good catches that was it. Downs out played him again, same with Pierce 

• Like 1

The refs gave a lot of those points to the Browns today! That illegal man down field call they picked up! I dont recall refs doing this in any game! Throw the flag, make the call, talk for 10 minutes and decide its not a penalty! This I think put the Browns in FG range! There was also a hold call against the Colts in the 1st half that the ref threw 10 seconds after the play ended taking the Colts out of FG range! These zebras definately need fined!

• Like 1

Just now, Solid84 said:

The obvious fault here is 4 turnovers. That loses games. Those turnovers gave them 17 points. 

Did Steichen have some bad calls? Yes he did, but when he puts the team in position to score 38 points, his mistakes giving the Browns 3 is a minor thing. 

I’m calling out Chloe on this because she’s been harping on Steichen all game and now after, when this is CLEARLY another Minshow collapse. 

I would blame the oline over Minshew.

Just now, Solid84 said:

She also said earlier in the thread you can’t give up 17 points off turnovers and win.  Again, the turnovers are unacceptable.  However, Shane had mistakes today too.  More than one thing can go wrong.  I can promise you when teams watch tape they don’t just go well that mistake doesn’t count because we turned it over four times and that was why we lost.  They want to correct them all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

There is a difference in actual play calling and situational awareness. The blocked FG and the turnover in the end zone were killers. Same thing we bashed Reich for.

And NONE of those were Steichen's fault. And wouldn't have been Frank's fault either. 

• Like 1

Always say it’s ok with an entertaining loss but that was soul crushing with refs doing that. But pass defense and pass rush needs to be better at the end. Colts were not very creative with their last offensive drive either.

You can design plays all you want, but it’s up to the QB to make the reads and deliver the ball to the receiver.

Just now, stitches said:

And NONE of those were Steichen's fault. 

I won’t let Shane off the hook completely for the endzone turnover.  He called a slow developing play there.  That shouldn’t have been called there to start.  With that said the “blocking” on that play, if you can call it that, was awful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It’s still the same colts who are mentally fragile.  Still losing games we should win. 

Dear God here you go again. :facepalm:

You go out there and play and get back with us on if the team is mentally fragile. Your take is mentally weak. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, RollerColt said:

You can design plays all you want, but it’s up to the QB to make the reads and deliver the ball to the receiver.

We just ran it up the gut on the last drive. When we played ravens we melted almost 7 minutes off the clock to win that game.

Just now, RollerColt said:

Dear God here you go again. :facepalm:

You go out there and play and get back with us on if the team is mentally fragile. Your take is mentally weak. 

Well it’s the truth. Still turning it over and costing us games. 

19 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Minshew had 3 fumbles also.  1 in our own end zone.  We had a fg blocked.  And the refs walked the Browns to the 1 yard line at the end

Holy crap.  The box score that I looked at didn't show that Minshew had  3 fumbles.  That explains it.  

8 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

This is a stupid statement. Dude gets hit by a 285 pound man from behind. You expect him to be able to hold on to the ball when he’s not expecting it??

Four fumbles on two games? That tuen into multiple points for the opposing team?Sorry…. That’s an issue. 

8 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This is what we know coming into the game:

• The Browns had the leagues #1 defense ergo we need to take the points when we can. 

• Matt Gay has the leg to make a 60 FG. 

This was an easily defendable call given what we knew. Could we have punted? Sure, but the FG attempt was NOT a bad call. 

The Browns just made a freak play. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

MPJ had two good catches that was it. Downs out played him again, same with Pierce 

Pittman had one less catch,  30 more yards, and a touchdown than Pierce, how did he Pierce outplay him? Downs yes. Does anyone pay attention to anything else Pittman does, like block?

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

We just ran it up the gut on the last drive. When we played ravens we melted almost 7 minutes off the clock to win that game.

Well it’s the truth. Still turning it over and costing us games. 

Different week. Different defense. Different circumstances.