Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Monday Night Miracle: Colts Declassified

John Waylon

I was at work that night and was busy for a while, someone told me we were down 35-14 with like 5 minutes left, so I figured it was over. I went to the breakroom and watched the OT and we won, from then on, I never doubted Peyton again. That game was in 2003 and started a run of 7 straight seasons of 12 or more wins through 2009. 

I will also never forget calling my mom around 8 in the morning the next day and the 1st thing she brought up to me was, did you see the Colts last night get killed The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)- I said that was a bad loss haha 

• Like 1

Oh the memories.  Watching the game in my recliner and getting killed.  Go do some work on the computer keeping an eye on the game and it starts to improve.  Go back to recliner and team looks bad again.  Go back to the computer and things look better again.  Go back to recliner and it’s bad again.  Went to the computer a third time and we start our comeback.  I can be a little slow sometimes but I decided to watch the rest of the game from my computer chair.  Stayed up to about 3 am watch all the talking heads talking about the game.  Went to work at 7 am and a lot of my coworkers came by to offer condolences.  Nobody would believe me that we won.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I was at work that night and was busy for a while, someone told me we were down 35-14 with like 5 minutes left, so I figured it was over. I went to the breakroom and watched the OT and we won, from then on, I never doubted Peyton again. That game was in 2003 and started a run of 7 straight seasons of 12 or more wins through 2009. 

I will also never forget calling my mom around 8 in the morning the next day and the 1st thing she brought up to me was, did you see the Colts last night get killed The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)- I said that was a bad loss haha 

2003?    Really?    Wasn’t Peyton drafted in 1998?     So it was year 6 of Manning’s career.    Interesting….

Most of my friends went to bed that night, not knowing the Colts won in till the next morning. Are you still up on a work night watching every bit of it and I’m glad I did. Manning is a magician. We are so blessed to have him as our quarterback for all those years.

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

2003?    Really?    Wasn’t Peyton drafted in 1998?     So it was year 6 of Manning’s career.    Interesting….

Really not until 2003 were we a true powerhouse. We were 6-10 in 2001 and only won 10 games in 2002 and got blown out by the Jets 41-0 in the playoffs. 1999 was a great year but we lost early in the playoffs. 2003, just had a different feel to it, for me anyway. The way we played that whole year I could just tell we were going to be great for a long time. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

It took Peyton a long time to get to the SB. talk of a monkey on his back was going around for a while before he finally got to Sb XLI. 

When we won the SB in 2006, I was in Florida staying at a Hilton on the beach. Around midnight the waves were coming in and it was 70 degrees in February of 07. I remember getting a lawn chair, putting it by the water and smoking a huge Cigar and drinking a beer. I just stared at the ocean for an hour and said we did it. As a fan that was a huge weight lifted off of me after being called a choke for years. Nobody even bothered me or told me I needed to leave the beach area. I was there in peace :thmup:

I remember this game very very well.

While disappointed with the way the game was going - I have learned to never say never as an NFL or Colts fan - I was one of the die-hards who stayed up until the scoreboard showed triple zeros.

OMG - Am I ever glad I did.

I was yelling - screaming - and - jumping up and down.  My cats were running for cover.

Just an amazing birthday present for Coach Dungy - and - an amazing comeback for the Colts!!!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

When we won the SB in 2006, I was in Florida staying at a Hilton on the beach. Around midnight the waves were coming in and it was 70 degrees in February of 07. I remember getting a lawn chair, putting it by the water and smoking a huge Cigar and drinking a beer. I just stared at the ocean for an hour and said we did it. As a fan that was a huge weight lifted off of me after being called a choke for years. Nobody even bothered me or told me I needed to leave the beach area. I was there in peace :thmup:

it was an amazing feeling, and to think, some fans never got to feel that feeling in their entire lives. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

it was an amazing feeling, and to think, some fans never got to feel that feeling in their entire lives. 

Yeah that is why I take the good with the bad. I can sympathize with Bills, Vikings, Bengals, Titans, and Chargers fans that have never won one because those franchises have been close and have had some great teams. The Dolphins have won 2 SB's but in the Marino era (1983-1999), they never won a SB either. Still not sure how the 1998 Vikings lost @NFLfan, or the 1990 Bills lost. They lost in heartbreaking fashion. Vikes took a dump in overtime in the 1998 NFC Title game and the Bills FG kicker missed a kick in the SB. 

I remember watching this game with my brother and around the 3rd quarter his last words were at least they tried before going to bed. The next morning we were eating breakfast and he couldn’t believe the Colts won he looked like he saw a ghost. Fun memories indeed lol.

• Like 1

Just now, JediXMan said:

I remember watching this game with my brother and around the 3rd quarter his last words were at least they tried before going to bed. The next morning we were eating breakfast and he couldn’t believe the Colts won he looked like he saw a ghost. Fun memories indeed lol.

Yeah, see above. My mom thought we got killed. She went to bed when we were down 35-14. When I called her the next morning, she was like Peyton didn't look good at all. I told her it was a bad loss, then I started laughing. She was puzzled, then I said we won the game mom lmao . She didn't believe me at first. Fun times.

• Like 1

Great memories! I had talked several coworkers into watching the game with me at a bar. They all left (even my girlfriend!) as the beat down was pretty bad. I stayed & ended up screaming my head off, all alone, jumping up & down, as the only person left at the bar. The next day I made sure to let everyone know what they missed. 

Good times! Thanks for the stroll down memory lane!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, horseshoecrabs said:

I learned a valuable lesson that night, never drink too much when your losing bad, and storm off to bed to go to sleep and your wife gets to tell you the next morning about the miracle comeback that you missed seeing. 

After that game, every time we did get down by 14 or 21 which wasn't much, I knew we were never out of it. Bucs had a great defense. Of course back then from 2003-2009 I never thought we would lose a game. When we did lose in that 7 yr span, I was in shock because it rarely happened. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

After that game, every time we did get down by 14 or 21 which wasn't much, I knew we were never out of it. Bucs had a great defense. Of course back then from 2003-2009 I never thought we would lose a game. When we did lose in that 7 yr span, I was in shock because it rarely happened. 

It was amazing coming back from 21 points after the first half against the Patriots. That usually didn't happen to New England back then, especially in a game with so much on the line. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

It was amazing coming back from 21 points after the first half against the Patriots. That usually didn't happen to New England back then, especially in a game with so much on the line. 

I was at the 4th and 2 game and when we were down 34-14, I still thought we weren't out of it, that was in 2009. Of course, the 2006 AFC Title Game being down 21-3 looked bad. I was nervous watching that one lol. That was for all the marbles, I knew we would beat the Bears. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I was at the 4th and 2 game and when we were down 34-14, I still thought we weren't out of it, that was in 2009. Of course, the 2006 AFC Title Game being down 21-3 looked bad. I was nervous watching that one lol. That was for all the marbles, I knew we would beat the Bears. 

Yea me too, I knew Chicago had a good defense then, but their QB situation was really bad in that Super Bowl. the best thing they had going then was Devin Hester.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, horseshoecrabs said:

Yea me too, I knew Chicago had a good defense then, but their QB situation was really bad in that Super Bowl. the best thing they had going then was Devin Hester.  

Yeah the real SB was Pats at Colts in 2006, both teams were loaded. Pats would have beat the Bears as well. Ravens were actually better than the Bears IMO, just as great on defense but they had McNair at QB. Going in there and winning was huge. The AFC was loaded that year, Chargers with Rivers and LT were even 14-2.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah the real SB was Pats at Colts in 2006, both teams were loaded. Pats would have beat the Bears as well. Ravens were actually better than the Bears IMO, just as great on defense but they had McNair at QB. Going in there and winning was huge. The AFC was loaded that year, Chargers with Rivers and LT were even 14-2.

The Manning Brothers did slow down the Patriots of getting to and winning a lot more Super bowls they could have had.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

What’s amazing is Manning and the Colts did that not once but twice, remember the rossencopter!

That one haunts me. Was in southern Indiana to watch my nephew play soccer. I stopped watching the game when Houston got up 3 scores to go to the soccer game. My buddy was in Germany for work texted me to ask if I believed they won that game.  They won?!?!  How the hell did that happen. 

When cruising through YouTube, that is a go to game I pull up. 

• Like 2

Just now, jskinnz said:

That one haunts me. Was in southern Indiana to watch my nephew play soccer. I stopped watching the game when Houston got up 3 scores to go to the soccer game. My buddy was in Germany for work texted me to ask if I believed they won that game.  They won?!?!  How the hell did that happen. 

When cruising through YouTube, that is a go to game I pull up. 

I was watching in disbelief. I was mad pacing around and saying how are we losing to this lousy team lmao How we won that Houston game was a freakin miracle. When Rosen did the ol' helicopter and Brackett picked that up and ran in for a TD was unreal. That pass Peyton had to Reggie to take the lead was maybe the best pass and catch I have ever seen.

14 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Damn near missed that game. We had a large tailgating group back then. That was a SNF game and we were at the White River State park amphitheater to tailgate. Got to be late in the 4pm games and I had to get rid of some beer so my buddy and I went over the hill to do that. Pretty soon we saw a flashlight heading our way - no bueno. ‘Twas a cop who  was watching for such transgressions. 

After a stern talking to and my buddy showing the cop a photoshopped version of Tom Brady in a compromised position, he lets us off the hook. Would have hated myself forever if I had missed that game. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I was watching in disbelief. I was mad pacing around and saying how are we losing to this lousy team lmao How we won that Houston game was a freakin miracle. When Rosen did the ol' helicopter and Brackett picked that up and ran in for a TD was unreal. That pass Peyton had to Reggie to take the lead was maybe the best pass and catch I have ever seen.

That was a great catch but my all time fav catch by 87 was the one—handed me that Reggie made against the Eagles in 06. The catch was amazing but he got his feet in as well. 

For that one, we were in Ft Myers and I texted my buddy who was at the game - he freaking caught it!  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Damn near missed that game. We had a large tailgating group back then. That was a SNF game and we were at the White River State park amphitheater to tailgate. Got to be late in the 4pm games and I had to get rid of some beer so my buddy and I went over the hill to do that. Pretty soon we saw a flashlight heading our way - no bueno. ‘Twas a cop who  was watching for such transgressions. 

After a stern talking to and my buddy showing the cop a photoshopped version of Tom Brady in a compromised position, he lets us off the hook. Would have hated myself forever if I had missed that game. 

Yeah the 4th and 2 was a Sunday nighter and I was tanked by around 10 pm which was roughly halftime lmao . I probably had at least 10 beers in me and a couple of shots of whiskey. I remember everything and was peaceful but when we took the lead 35-34, I was jumping up and down like a kid at Christmas time :thmup:, everyone else was too so it was a great thing haha . When I went to games back then, we used to have a group of 4 that would go and 1 of my friends didn't drink so we even had a designated driver in the games we went to 2 or 3 times a year. Real fun times. 

Those 20minutes were worth getting late to my next appointment. This generation was destined for brilliance. They gave the franchise clout. They gave us pride as fans. They gave us glorious memories. This lesson was the one of persistence as fans and a reminder that we had something special at QB, those guys who can carry you thru the rough times and do it when you really need them to, those superheroes who deliver in clutch moments. This was another reminder moment.

Fast forward 9 years to 2012. Andrew Luck versus the Detroit Lions. The team played like dog doo, Luck completed like 40% of his passes, he'd just had a day where the NFL kicked him yet when the team was down 12 with 3mins to go, he gave that clutch moment. Luck had a come back in Green Bay and while that was clutch, it is the end game moments can really define just how special a player you have. And this moment was that....Andrew Luck carried that team to a place they had no business being. That was my personal moment when i realized we had a superhero QB, those guys who go to the hall of fame.

11 years later, tying this to the present, the Rams defense isnt at the level Tampa was back then, but they have a player who's somehow even better than any of those Tampa guys or the Lions guys. Our current young QB's 23 point comeback moment isn't quite the same as Luck's or Peyton's because of the end result but in his 3rd game, he's shown me the lesson - You do not give up when you've got this guy. The end result wasnt the same because he never got the ball, in 2003, we all became experts on the 'leaping' rule because we knew we could have lost that game but the comeback still would have been legit. I'd still have known just how special our guy was. Currently, I'm feeling that vibe again, we have one of those special guys. He dont look or play like the other two but Luck didnt look or play anything like Peyton, it's just the vibe and the moments. 3 games in, I think I'm there with Anthony Richardson. Players like that give you a chance when you got no business having one. It doesnt matter what it looks like, they just deliver. That's special.

Might be the desperation of post-Luck years but 11 years is a long time to experience those blossoming moments like this again with a young franchise quarterback. I recognize what i am seeing. Again, maybe i'm desperate but folks, most young QB's dont produce these moments. 

• Like 1

Had knee surgery the morning of that game. I'm in my recliner, leg in an immobilizer    Fighting off the oxycontin coma I was determined to watch this game.    I let my 13 year old daughter stay up to watch.   When Doss picked off Johnson,  then fumbled and TB scored she spun around and kicked what she thought would be air.   It was right under my ankle on the same leg I had an operation on about 12 hours earlier.   Curse words were said.   Apologies from the both of us.   But we made it to the end of that game.   She stayed home with me on Tuesday.   I figured she needed the day off as much as I did

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

... Of course, the 2006 AFC Title Game being down 21-3 looked bad. I was nervous watching that one lol. That was for all the marbles, I knew we would beat the Bears. 

Good times! Here's a re-post of a write-up about those 2 games:

I watched the 2006 AFC title game at a small restaurant in Bangkok, Thailand, while enjoying copious amounts of excellent Thai food, crappy Thai beer (ugh, Chang!) and crappy Thai weed. Ordinarily I wouldn’t have scheduled a climbing trip to rural Thailand during a post-season run. However the Colts had limped & dragged to a spot in the playoffs, looking tired and very, very beatable. This, combined with heart-breaking playoff exits in prior years when we seemed to have much better teams, led me to think it was fine to schedule a last-minute flight to nowhere.

The day before the game I had found a restaurant with satellite TV. Nobody in Bangkok knew anything about the game, but despite major translation difficulties I managed to get them to promise to show the ‘American Football’ game, if I showed up with some cash.

The first half of the game I was obviously not happy with the results. The Thais, typical of the culture, tried to cheer me up. However throughout the second half I was visibly very excited. The Thais, always happy to celebrate, were getting into it with me, despite not knowing anything about American Football. By the end they were cheering louder than me!

The victory presented a challenge though; I was due to be boated in to a rural climbing location the next day, with limited connectivity to the outside world, and wouldn’t be back to civilization for a month. But there was no way I was going to miss my Colts in the Super Bowl, even if I was on the moon, so I went about searching for a solution.

A few days before the Super Bowl I found a beach-side bar, way on the other side of the bay, that agreed to show the big game. Of course the kick-off was at 6am Thailand time! Knowing the locals were often on ‘island time’ I was nervous that the workers would party all night and oversleep, thus negating my long-awaited Super Bowl.

The morning of the big game I woke up at 5 am, walked down to the beach, and hiked & waded across the bay to the Railay Peninsula. I had barely slept the night before, due to both nerves about the game & my partaking in the all-night beach parties. I stumbled groggily up to the bar a little after 6am, just before kickoff. I was not the only patron; in addition to a few few sleepy-eyed workers there were a handful of old, large Europeans (including 2 huge guys in Speedos) all of whom were rooting for the Bears! Boooooooooo! I may have started as the only Colts fan, but by the end of the game I had the Thais on my side, and we were all cheering away! It was fabulous!

Those were two of my all-time favorite Colts games. It was a unique way see these games, but not how I would have planned it. If I had thought we would go to the Super Bowl I would never have booked that trip & risked not being able to see the games. And in strictly a football sense, it would’ve been more enjoyable to watch the game in familiar surroundings, amid a sea of Colts fans.

• Like 3