Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Richardson Taking First Team Reps Today

RollerColt

11 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Something that really strikes me with Steichen is he makes sure his team is prepared. They decided right away they would sit Richardson a week so Minshew could be prepared. 

Just listening to him talk you can tell he's a schemer. Almost as if there are so many ideas in his mind. This guy is very much a Sean McVay/Mike McDaniels kind of football scientist. 

Some of his experiments won't work out this year, but I'm intrigued after three games on his play design. 

• Like 5

Yes!  

Need to temper my expectations though. I have to remind myself that the Ravens went out of their way to lose that game.  The team with the least f’ups usually wins.  

Got to keep in mind, AR’s continued progress (and health) is the most important thing.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Assuming he and Kelly both clear, I just want him to take care of himself Sunday. Slide. Run out of bounds. Throw the ball away. Take the dump offs. 

yes! He has to learn that getting a couple extra yards isn’t important, avoiding the hit is more important if you are going to be a top qb with a long career.

14 minutes ago, husker61 said:

yes! He has to learn that getting a couple extra yards isn’t important, avoiding the hit is more important if you are going to be a top qb with a long career.

Very true.  But the play where he probably got the concussion isn't likely to change.  No one is going to slide when they think they can score.  

The hit in the endzone and it causing him to hit his head on the turf is what did it.  Kind of hard to train a guy to kneel down once he's scored, but that's the only thing that may have prevented it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

The team with the least f’ups usually wins.

It was so great to see the Colts be that team last week. There were so many winnable games last year that they simply gave away. It is also the reason I was and continue to be more optimistic than most about this team. If they can just stop shooting themselves in the foot at critical moments, there is enough talent on the roster to win plenty of football games.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Very true.  But the play where he probably got the concussion isn't likely to change.  No one is going to slide when they think they can score.  

The hit in the endzone and it causing him to hit his head on the turf is what did it.  Kind of hard to train a guy to kneel down once he's scored, but that's the only thing that may have prevented it.

Two things finishing through play and defensive  fall technique  so he doesn't  hit head when he falls.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Gee, I want him to look to see what is coming rather than assuming he is immune to NFL speed and physicality.

17 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Yep.  Like SS said in the Macafee interview, QBs have to know when to run out of bounds, slide, or "go and get it".  The two plays that he got hurt were those kinds of plays where he needs to get it, so nothing would have really changed.   A pocket passer would not even be in those situations.

There is also the possibility that despite being 6'4 250, he might be made of glass and gets injured easily.  There is no way for anybody to really know at this point with 15 starts under his belt in college and the NFL.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

AR hadn't been cleared by the doc so he wouldn't have been able to play anyway

Tinfoil hat time.

Could be that the team had asked the Doctor to not clear him, so outwardly it didn't appear as though they were "benching" AR in favour of Minshew if he was possibly going to be cleared before the game. They might not have wanted to put pressure on their organisation or AR to play with little to no prep in a game against the Ravens, so this way saves face for AR and the team and gives them their reason to give Minshew all the starting reps all week and not face questions about it. I dont see why any doctor would disagree to that.... heaven forbid they are seen as to be taking extra caution with a players health in totdays NFL...

Then just carry on as normal from next week with AR now "fully cleared" and back in time for a full week of prep to retake over the starting QB role.

I dont necesarilly think that is what happened, but it is possible I guess.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Exactly. It was a fluke landing.. game one was more an "unnecessary" risk play. AR will be fine!

• Like 1

On 9/27/2023 at 3:04 PM, Smonroe said:

He did slow up when he was at about the 5 or 6 yard line thinking he could almost walk in from there. I don't know if he didn't see the safety or he felt the safety would let up but that definitely could have been prevented if he would have not slowed up. Something he will definitely learn. 

• Like 1

Two guys we need to play against the Rams are Kelly and AR5, so this is good to hear. We need those guys to help deal with Aaron Donald. It will be a group effort to deal with him, but Kelly can help slow him down. AR5’s athleticism will be a huge difference maker too since he can take off if he gets pressure up the middle. Also idk if we’ll be able to rely on the run game heavy this game. Donald is that good that he alters your whole game plan. The Rams secondary is week so this is a good opportunity for Richardson to spread the ball around.

• Like 1

We’ve seen too many great QBs have shortened careers because of reckless running habits...Luck, Newton, Vick, RG3, Culpepper, etc. Just about every star or young QB these days (Hurts, Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Tua, Lamar, Fields, Murray, AR, Stroud, Young, etc.) base at least a chunk of their game on their legs, and I worry that it is going to get them hurt if they don’t adjust to a safer playing style. I think that’s part of the reason why guys like Manning and Brady lasted so long, they were pure pocket passers and didn’t take as many of those full-speed hits in the open field. I really hope AR is able to play more like Burrow or Mahomes, where he uses the pocket as long as he can before switching to his legs. I think the Bills aren’t cautious enough with Allen, and it could cost them eventually.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Two guys we need to play against the Rams are Kelly and AR5, so this is good to hear. We need those guys to help deal with Aaron Donald. It will be a group effort to deal with him, but Kelly can help slow him down. AR5’s athleticism will be a huge difference maker too since he can take off if he gets pressure up the middle. Also idk if we’ll be able to rely on the run game heavy this game. Donald is that good that he alters your whole game plan. The Rams secondary is week so this is a good opportunity for Richardson to spread the ball around.

I will say, Donald looked good as always last week, but the Bengals were able to keep most of the other DEs in check, even with Burrow being almost immobile due to his calf injury. I’m not sure the Rams DL (past Donald) is quite what it was two years ago

2 hours ago, chickenMan said:

I will say, Donald looked good as always last week, but the Bengals were able to keep most of the other DEs in check, even with Burrow being almost immobile due to his calf injury. I’m not sure the Rams DL (past Donald) is quite what it was two years ago

You can run at Donald.  You just have to always double him on passing downs.   

That being said, the Rams aren’t as bad as some think.  

• Like 1