Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Michael Pittman

GoColts8818

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

25 catches on 34 targets for 230 yards through three games.  He’s on pace for 142 catches and 1303 yards. Not bad for a guy some don’t consider a number one WR.  Extend the man.

Would like to see more tds, but the short passing is limiting that. Downs should have a td by now as well

48 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

25 catches on 34 targets for 230 yards through three games.  He’s on pace for 142 catches and 1303 yards. Not bad for a guy some don’t consider a number one WR.  Extend the man.

I missed the game but did he do his disappearing act after make 3-4 catches? You know the one where he suddenly looks like a super stud but then for 55 minutes, he’s a ghost?

not trying to be down on the guy,  I think he’s got talent for sure but he’s so inconsistent it drives me crazy. Granted Reggie Wayne needed 4-5 years to break out and become the threat we needed, so I’m okay with bringing him back. Just want to see him not disappear for king stretches

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

I missed the game but did he do his disappearing act after make 3-4 catches? You know the one where he suddenly looks like a super stud but then for 55 minutes, he’s a ghost?

not trying to be down on the guy,  I think he’s got talent for sure but he’s so inconsistent it drives me crazy. Granted Reggie Wayne needed 4-5 years to break out and become the threat we needed, so I’m okay with bringing him back. Just want to see him not disappear for king stretches

He had 9 catches on 11 targets and at one point they said they were going to him every third pass.  

• Thanks 2

If Minshew had gotten that ball out a little quicker Pittman might of took it to the house. He was wide open. Glad he didn’t hit his head after losing his helmet.

6 minutes ago, kymd82222 said:

I've quit speculating in whether he's a "true" #1 or not.  Whether he is or isn't, he's a very good WR and we would be foolish not to extend him.  Another bonus is that he's not a complete diva like some wide receivers.  He just does his best and makes big plays, just like Harrison and Wayne used to do.  

He just needs help on the other side. Need someone explosive to compliment him.

6 minutes ago, landrus13 said:

Pittman should be brought back. He deserves to be paid. The big disappointment has been Pierce.

I remember before season started people were asking how would Pittman fit into this offense. Turns out so far it’s pierce. Pittman has been good with every quarterback he has played with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

That’s how you get and extension show up to work and perform. Sometimes the back up comes in and looks really good and you might say forget paying the starter and go by committee. But boy would it be nice to have AR and Tay as the running threats 

47 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I remember before season started people were asking how would Pittman fit into this offense. Turns out so far it’s pierce. Pittman has been good with every quarterback he has played with.

He has, and that's saying something considering the crappy QB play that we've had over his tenure here.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

142 catches is great, but 9.2 ypc leaves a lot to be desired. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

142 catches is great, but 9.2 ypc leaves a lot to be desired. 

True, he's not the deep threat that Marvin was before he got hurt, or even the deep threat that Wayne was in his prime.  Some people just remember Wayne as a possession receiver because that's what he became in his later years, but he was a huge deep threat until he got old.  Also, he never averaged below 12ypc in any season.  I love MPJ, and we do need to extend him, but we also need a consistent deep threat.  Pierce doesn't appear to be able to fill that role.  

4 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Bowen always says he’s no USC pretty boy WR.  The guy is tough as nails.  

But he needs to get a helmet strap that works.  Besides getting is hat torn off today, that chin strap ends up by the face mask on every catch.  

Lol. I was noticing that as well! 

Here to say today was a GREAT game for MPJ.  These are the games I want to see from him that prove me wrong.  He impacted the game on numerous levels of the field, short medium and deep.  

That game wasn’t eye popping when it comes to stats but his play on the field was definitely WR1 worthy.  Need to see this more consistently.  I’d take this performance over any of his previous two performances.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kymd82222 said:

True, he's not the deep threat that Marvin was before he got hurt, or even the deep threat that Wayne was in his prime.  Some people just remember Wayne as a possession receiver because that's what he became in his later years, but he was a huge deep threat until he got old.  Also, he never averaged below 12ypc in any season.  I love MPJ, and we do need to extend him, but we also need a consistent deep threat.  Pierce doesn't appear to be able to fill that role.  

I agree we need a consistent deep threat and as we've seen he can make plays down field. He's not a speedster, so he'll not be a consistent deep threat though.

I also think it's too early to definitively give up on Pierce. The full playbook isn't open to AR yet and then Pierce and AR will need to build in-game chemistry. I will say though that Pierce needs to start making the tough catches when he gets the opportunity.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I agree we need a consistent deep threat and as we've seen he can make plays down field. He's not a speedster, so he'll not be a consistent deep threat though.

I also think it's too early to definitively give up on Pierce. The full playbook isn't open to AR yet and then Pierce and AR will need to build in-game chemistry. I will say though that Pierce needs to start making the tough catches when he gets the opportunity.

I agree, it's way too early to give up on Pierce.  But he definitely needs to develop a mean streak, ala Pittman.  MJP is aggressive going for the ball, not waiting for it to come to him.

Also, if you've watched Pittman's YouTube videos you know he hates it when people say he's not fast.  He looked pretty fast outrunning a bunch of Jags in game 1.  

He's always doubled or bracketed.  Hopefully Downs will start drawing more doubles, and we'll get our TEs more involved.   But yeah, Pierce definitely has to up his game.

• Like 1

2 plays that changed it for us. Just like the 2007 Chargers playoff game, we were up 7-0 and Marvin, coming back off an injury fumbled and the momentum went away from a game when the Colts looked like they would get away from the Chargers in the beginning. The same thing happened yesterday with Baltimore on our side of the field, up 7-0 and we couldn't get much going offensively and boom, that fumble happened.

Next, was also a fumble on our end that Pittman recovered that could have proved costly for us. Outside his big catches, that own fumble recovery has to be one of his big plays from yesterday too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I agree, it's way too early to give up on Pierce.  But he definitely needs to develop a mean streak, ala Pittman.  MJP is aggressive going for the ball, not waiting for it to come to him.

Also, if you've watched Pittman's YouTube videos you know he hates it when people say he's not fast.  He looked pretty fast outrunning a bunch of Jags in game 1.  

He's always doubled or bracketed.  Hopefully Downs will start drawing more doubles, and we'll get our TEs more involved.   But yeah, Pierce definitely has to up his game.

I'm honestly starting to think TEs might not be a huge part of the passing game for this version of Steichen's offense. Everytime one of our TEs make a big a play I'm like: "Yeah, let's ride that! Get him the ball!", and then they disappear the rest of the game. We have some dudes with promise, but it feels like they never get the chance.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Pierce does his best damage up in the air, it seems like but against lesser DBs. Like you said, with a mean streak, he can do it against the NFL DBs more consistently. However, I have to wonder why we didn't draft a different kind of WR opposite Pittman, someone slightly smaller (not like Downs but more like 6'0" in the Wayne mold) but with better route tree experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

The Pierce grab was superior stuff also.

The one grab he had was great, but the contested catch he didn't make at the end of regulation that would have put the ball inside the 5 was not. Definitely not an easy catch, but you need a WR2 to make that catch with the game on the line. So far he has not shown the ability to make a tough catch when the defender makes a play on the ball.

On 9/24/2023 at 6:33 PM, GoColts8818 said:

He is not a number 1 in terms of how he is perceived  by the league. Jefferson,, Hills, Adam's, Chase etc are true number #1's. There  r few true #1's in the league. They keep defensive coordinators  up late at night. People really have a hard time in truly evaluating Pittman. He is a #2 and there is jothing  wrong with that.  If u want to pay north of 20 million, as I am sure he will ask for that, then go ahead. U do, and u r going down the same road as  Ballard went with Leonard and Nelson. In that case he over paid elite money for elite  players at non premium positions. In Pittmans case, he would be overpaying for a very good player who is not elite at a premium position. Just my take on it.

11 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

He is not a number 1 in terms of how he is perceived  by the league. Jefferson,, Hills, Adam's, Chase etc are true number #1's. There  r few true #1's in the league. They keep defensive coordinators  up late at night. People really have a hard time in truly evaluating Pittman. He is a #2 and there is jothing  wrong with that.  If u want to pay north of 20 million, as I am sure he will ask for that, then go ahead. U do, and u r going down the same road as  Ballard went with Leonard and Nelson. In that case he over paid elite money for elite  players at non premium positions. In Pittmans case, he would be overpaying for a very good player who is not elite at a premium position. Just my take on it.

All depends on your definition really. Like for example, I don't agree with youe definition of all those guys you listed. Those guys are the superstar WR, the Elite tier, which imo, is higher than #1 WR. I think there are alot more #1s than you mentioned. Those guys you mentioned are gamewrecking elite tier guys. 

• Like 1

Some in here just double down because they want to be right on how they have posted about Pittman since day 1. Saying he isn't a #1. He is a #1 but maybe not a top 15 WR in the league. For about half the teams in the league he would be a #1 though is my point. He just isn't a great deep threat which many thrive for. Pierce is supposed to be our deep threat but so far he has struggled. 

18 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

So there are 4 number 1 wrs in a league with 32 teams?   Interesting 

On 9/24/2023 at 9:54 PM, kymd82222 said:

I've quit speculating in whether he's a "true" #1 or not.  Whether he is or isn't, he's a very good WR and we would be foolish not to extend him.  Another bonus is that he's not a complete diva like some wide receivers.  He just does his best and makes big plays, just like Harrison and Wayne used to do.  

i think ballard is just waiting for how the season goes first .  if the colts ended up being a 4 win team and richardson looked lost they were gonna do a rebuild .   now if the colts end up making a playoff push i agree resigned pittman and taylor

8 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

Why is that bad? That, on average, leaves 2nd and less than a yard.  I think those are good odds on helping the team get down the field amd score TDs/FGs.

Because that’s not good enough for a WR1. 

Look at some of the other WR1s around the league:

Justin Jefferson 17 ypc

Tyreek Hill 16.5 ypc

Stephon Diggs 11.2 ypc

Chris Olave 13.7 ypc

A.J. Brown 12 ypc

Ceedee Lamb 14.4 ypc

Some of it is down to usage for sure. But we need to get the ball further down field than we are currently. 

6 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Because that’s not good enough for a WR1. 

Look at some of the other WR1s around the league:

Justin Jefferson 17 ypc

Tyreek Hill 16.5 ypc

Stephon Diggs 11.2 ypc

Chris Olave 13.7 ypc

A.J. Brown 12 ypc

Ceedee Lamb 14.4 ypc

Some of it is down to usage for sure. But we need to get the ball further down field than we are currently. 

I don't think comparing him to those WRs is putting him in the right category.  I do agree we need to get the ball down the field further than we are now though. 

9 hours ago, compuls1v3 said:

I don't think comparing him to those WRs is putting him in the right category.  I do agree we need to get the ball down the field further than we are now though. 

I don't think WR1s are possession WRs - that's what Pittman is. He gets the tough yards and nothing wrong with that - we need that too. But we need someone to break defenses open.

• Like 1