Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Michael Pittman

GoColts8818

We can’t get through a Pittman appreciation post without turning it into a Pierce trashing.  For what it’s worth, Pierce’ rookie year output exceeded Reggie’s rookie year and nearly matched his second year output.  Most WR’s take time to develop in the NFL.  Gotta look at the good with Pierce and there have been some really good moments, including a couple grabs in the Ravens game.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Breeze said:

We can’t get through a Pittman appreciation post without turning it into a Pierce trashing.  For what it’s worth, Pierce’ rookie year output exceeded Reggie’s rookie year and nearly matched his second year output.  Most WR’s take time to develop in the NFL.  Gotta look at the good with Pierce and there have been some really good moments, including a couple grabs in the Ravens game.

You should have been here in the days when we had Coby Fleener and Dwight Allen.  Couldn't have a post about one of them without another post comparing the one to other soon after.  "Yeah, but the other guy...."

Pittman is an interesting case. If i am going to pay him $20M, I believe we should expect that guy to get beyond the first down marker and make the catch at a very high level.

AR is in his Infancy being able to make those throws at a high level.

There is a lot of FB left to see what they both need to prove.

I hope Ballard waits as long as he can to see who might be available in FA next March.  

Rumor's that JT still wants the $$ before he plays again pleases me. 

21 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Pittman I bet will be extended before the season ends.

Just remember we only have $6.3-$7.1m(depending on which site you look at)in cap space.

Not a lot of wiggle room.

Unless he just takes all new monies starting next year.

15 minutes ago, w87r said:

Just remember we only have $6.3-$7.1m(depending on which site you look at)in cap space.

Not a lot of wiggle room.

Unless he just takes all new monies starting next year.

He won’t get more money this year. But I get your point about a signing bonus. As long as they don’t let him hit FA it will all work out. Looks like Pittman has himself a bunch of farm animals so it looks like he plans on staying.

A lot of people thought I was crazy when I said you extend MPJ and trade JT. Fast forward a year and here we are.  Pittman isn’t elite and I agree he is borderline #2 type receiver in the #1 role. Still, he produces. We should extend him and keep throwing darts at the wall in the draft to get an elite receiver. Still, if Pierce develops to 1.5x his rookie production. and we get solid stretch type and red zone play out of a couple TEs, we will have a potent offense. This isn’t even considering the slot position. The pieces are there for this offense to work, it all revolves around the QB doing his job.  

6 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

A lot of people thought I was crazy when I said you extend MPJ and trade JT. Fast forward a year and here we are.  Pittman isn’t elite and I agree he is borderline #2 type receiver in the #1 role. Still, he produces. We should extend him and keep throwing darts at the wall in the draft to get an elite receiver. Still, if Pierce develops to 1.5x his rookie production. and we get solid stretch type and red zone play out of a couple TEs, we will have a potent offense. This isn’t even considering the slot position. The pieces are there for this offense to work, it all revolves around the QB doing his job.  

I agree on some of what you said. But in bold, Pittman is better than borderline #2. Your opinion and mine.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

When you say borderline #2 are you saying he should be #2 or be a #3?

8 minutes ago, EasyE said:

I agree on some of what you said. But in bold, Pittman is better than borderline #2. Your opinion and mine.

I get it, 90% of post on here are nothing but opinion. To explain my post, MPJs best season is 88 catches, 1082yds and 6 TDs. That’s more than #2 receiver production unless it’s a super potent offense that is special. It’s still not great #1 production either. Why I said borderline.  He is a good player that deserves to be extended.  I just understand where people are coming from when they say he is a #2. If anything I would say he is a 1B type receiver. Pair him with an elite guy(1A) and oh boy this would be fun to watch. He would get way more single coverage bc I feel he is bracketed a lot of plays. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I also want to add the pieces are there, we are working with rookie QB and coaches rookies everywhere. It will take sometime, yes we are 2-1 just remember what this season is about. BUILDING and EVALUATING! Much respect @AwesomeAustin

• Like 1

I think pittman is a number 1, I understand why people think he's a 2 though. He hasn't had any good qb play in his career and still produces. Idk how many qbs he's had but it's a lot. 2 in this season alone and still top 3 in receptions. Give him a qb like luck as the quarterback and we wouldn't even consider him a number 2. 

On 9/26/2023 at 7:49 AM, NorthernColt said:

All depends on your definition really. Like for example, I don't agree with youe definition of all those guys you listed. Those guys are the superstar WR, the Elite tier, which imo, is higher than #1 WR. I think there are alot more #1s than you mentioned. Those guys you mentioned are gamewrecking elite tier guys. 

Its like if u said how many  #1 qbs are in the league?. I mean true #1's. 

6 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I get it, 90% of post on here are nothing but opinion. To explain my post, MPJs best season is 88 catches, 1082yds and 6 TDs. That’s more than #2 receiver production unless it’s a super potent offense that is special. It’s still not great #1 production either. Why I said borderline.  He is a good player that deserves to be extended.  I just understand where people are coming from when they say he is a #2. If anything I would say he is a 1B type receiver. Pair him with an elite guy(1A) and oh boy this would be fun to watch. He would get way more single coverage bc I feel he is bracketed a lot of plays. 

The problem with paying Pittman is how are you paying him?   As a #1 or #2?   That likely impacts everything about the contract.   The total package, the guaranteed money, the signing bonus, the number of years.   Hard to make a deal when there are likely many points of disagreement.  

Personally, I view Pitt as a high level #2.   I compare him favorably to the Chargers Keenan Allen, who is also a WR2. 

To be clear,  I like Pitt, always have.  Glad the Colts drafted him.  Hope there’s a deal to be made at some point.   I’m only saying it’s probably not going to be an easy negotiation. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DougDew said:

You should have been here in the days when we had Coby Fleener and Dwight Allen.  Couldn't have a post about one of them without another post comparing the one to other soon after.  "Yeah, but the other guy...."

Ah I remember… the famous “it’s 4th and 1 and you pass it to stone hands” thread… good times…

40 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Ah I remember… the famous “it’s 4th and 1 and you pass it to stone hands” thread… good times…

Man.... i was at that Jags game in London when Allen dopped that pass that was between his numbers to effectively close out the game for the Jags.

Pain.

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The problem with paying Pittman is how are you paying him?   As a #1 or #2?   That likely impacts everything about the contract.   The total package, the guaranteed money, the signing bonus, the number of years.   Hard to make a deal when there are likely many points of disagreement.  

Personally, I view Pitt as a high level #2.   I compare him favorably to the Chargers Keenan Allen, who is also a WR2. 

To be clear,  I like Pitt, always have.  Glad the Colts drafted him.  Hope there’s a deal to be made at some point.   I’m only saying it’s probably not going to be an easy negotiation. 

Those are the tough questions. Honestly I can tell you how I feel they should pay him but I’m guessing it’s different than what they need to do for him to stay.  I wouldn’t be surprised if an extension isn’t done mid season that the colts tag him.

The transition tag may be a great option for him. Pays him 18m ish and that’s probably where he needs to be for us to not commit too much cap space to a non Elite player. If someone throws their check book at them we get compensation while also having more time to negotiate. Also can see if he will produce more as/if Richardson develops more. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Pittman should be paid. Colts should also be looking to get him help on the other side. If that turns out to be pierce that would be great. If not colts should be looking in the 1st or 2nd round of the draft. They could have a good opportunity to get one in the first round this year.

Josh Downs says hello!     :hat:

3 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Those are the tough questions. Honestly I can tell you how I feel they should pay him but I’m guessing it’s different than what they need to do for him to stay.  I wouldn’t be surprised if an extension isn’t done mid season that the colts tag him.

The transition tag may be a great option for him. Pays him 18m ish and that’s probably where he needs to be for us to not commit too much cap space to a non Elite player. If someone throws their check book at them we get compensation while also having more time to negotiate. Also can see if he will produce more as/if Richardson develops more. 

You don't get compensation on the Transition Tag, only the right to match the offer.

Could threaten to match prior to offer and work a deal out though.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Josh is a slot receiver....not presently a #1 or #2.

I think he’s shown enough to be perceived as a WR2.   He’s got more receptions and targets than Pierce.   He’s a legit weapon no matter what you call him and shouldn’t be over looked in any discussion.