Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Michael Pittman

GoColts8818

2 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

So, if you are targeted the most, you're a #1 receiver. If so, Pittman is a #1 receiver....right?

I was arguing  about the definition. I was just stating  two numbel 1 wrs that have alot of slot targets, but yes the wr 1 is normally  targeted  the most

On 9/24/2023 at 8:33 PM, GoColts8818 said:

25 catches on 34 targets for 230 yards through three games.  He’s on pace for 142 catches and 1303 yards. Not bad for a guy some don’t consider a number one WR.  Extend the man.

MPJ should be the next up on the contract extension list.

I was one that thought Pittman was the best 2 in the league. He definitely needs resigned. Colts will have 55mil in cap space next year. We have, Pitt, JT, Grove, Kenny and I think 1 more. If we don't sign them all we will have big holes to fill. 

I think JuJu can play nickel better than outside. So Kenny maybe odd man out.

Number 1 Wr. Is a nonsense label by folks that think only a guy that can be a deep threat.   Was Reggie a number 1?  Was Andre Johnson?   Larry Fitzgerald?  First down machines can also be "number 1 wr"   Travis Kelce is the Chiefs number 1. Anyone want to argue that??

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

I disagree.   So do the stats.  How many have more catches.  Isn't that the job?

Then I agree. He is a # 1. Maybe not the best in the league,but as I said, there is only one in the entire league that has that title. Who that is, is up for debate.  There are 32 #1 receivers.

• Like 1

Number 1 Wr. Is a nonsense label by folks that think only a guy that can be a deep threat.   Was Reggie a number 1?  Was Andre Johnson?   Larry Fitzgerald?  First down machines can also be "number 1 wr"   Travis Kelce is the Chiefs number 1. Anyone want to argue that??

Number 1 wrs typically  have over 1000 yards 90 catches and 10 tds

7 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

A "true" WR1 vs WR1 ...what's the difference?

Well, a WR1 is just the guy with most catches.

A "true" WR1 is your main playmaker. The guy who makes the difficult catches, who has the big plays and makes the grabs down field. Pittman is a workhorse and gets some tough yards, but he's not a deep threat. That and he can just disappear for several quarters of a game.

I know he's had some bad luck with the QB carousel, but so has other WRs on arguably worse teams who still made things happen.

10 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

A "true" WR1 vs WR1 ...what's the difference?

I think where people are getting caught up is WR1 on the roster and being a star reciever in the league. 

Pittman is our WR1, so he is indeed a #1 WR. Pittman is not a star reciever. He is not able to dominate a game and carry the team to a win.

When people say he is not a good #1 but a good #2, what they are saying is he is not a star WR but he would be a great #2 WR behind a star WR.

Him behind say, Devontae Adams, now that's a darn good top to a WR core.

3 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

A "true" WR1 is your main playmaker. The guy who makes the difficult catches, who has the big plays and makes the grabs down field. Pittman is a workhorse and gets some tough yards, but he's not a deep threat. That and he can just disappear for several quarters of a game.

I know he's had some bad luck with the QB carousel, but so has other WRs on arguably worse teams who still made things happen.

Pittman is a number 1 wr.  Stats prove it and his next contract will prove it

13 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Was Jerry Rice a true #1? (4.71 40) Or did his QBs ( two Hall of famers) make him a true #1?

My point is, the title of " true #1receiver" is a subjective and a fictitious title.

11 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Pittman is a number 1 wr.  Stats prove it and his next contract will prove it

If you mean because he has most catches, then yes. If you mean star quality, then no.

9 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Is Jamar chase a number 1 wr?

He needs to be more consistent, but he has the talent as his first year in the league proved.

5 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Was Jerry Rice a true #1? (4.71 40) Or did his QBs ( two Hall of famers) make him a true #1?

Do you have a point or are you just blurting stuff out?

Jerry Rice found a way to get things done his way. Jerry Rice made play after play after play after play. The guy's a legend.

Cooper Kupp is not super fast either, but he's a route monster. He does it his way.

Pittman does not make play after play. He can make a play then disappear the rest of the game. He's not a route monster either.

Just now, jvan1973 said:

Who has more catches?  What is the wr job?

To catch balls, but if that's your only critiria for a WR1 I suggest we take a guy off the streets and save the money on the cap...

I've already stated what we need a WR1 to be. And that's not just the guy who has the most catches on the team.

Just now, Solid84 said:

To catch balls, but if that's your only critiria for a WR1 I suggest we take a guy off the streets and save the money on the cap...

I've already stated what we need a WR1 to be. And that's not just the guy who has the most catches on the team.

A guy off the street makes the clutch up top catches Pittman makes week in and week out?  You must have thought reggie was a bum, if you were born yet

A guy off the street makes the clutch up top catches Pittman makes week in and week out?  You must have thought reggie was a bum, if you were born yet

Pittman does not make clutch up top catches week in and week out. If he did, we'd be winning more games.

Wayne was great in his own way too, like a Kupp for instance. But I knew you wouldn't get the point.

I like Pittman and think he is a number 1 receiver because he does a lot of dirty work, his mentality reminds me of Hines Ward. He doesn't have that playmaker (can take it to the house on any given play) ability, Which is why some don't like him as a WR1.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Do you have a point or are you just blurting stuff out?

Jerry Rice found a way to get things done his way. Jerry Rice made play after play after play after play. The guy's a legend.

Cooper Kupp is not super fast either, but he's a route monster. He does it his way.

Pittman does not make play after play. He can make a play then disappear the rest of the game. He's not a route monster either.

Pittman hasn't had a stable QB or coaching environment since he was drafted ,so you nor anyone else for that matter have any idea what he is as a receiver 

Just now, cdgacoltsfan said:

Pittman hasn't had a stable QB or coaching environment since he was drafted ,so you nor anyone else for that matter have no idea what he is as a receiver 

I think Pittman would be a fantastic WR2 for us. I'm not saying he DEFINITELY can't be a star WR1, but he needs to get better for that to happen in my opinion.

DJ Moore has been in a crap situation during most of his career. Same with Terry McLaurin, Chris Godwin and Mike Evans or a DeAndre Hopkins with the Texans. Plenty of good WRs have made things happen in less than ideal situations.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I think Pittman would be a fantastic WR2 for us. I'm not saying he DEFINITELY can't be a star WR1, but he needs to get better for that to happen in my opinion.

DJ Moore has been in a crap situation during most of his career. Same with Terry McLaurin, Chris Godwin and Mike Evans or a DeAndre Hopkins with the Texans. Plenty of good WRs have made things happen in less than ideal situations.

every wide receiver benefits from having a talented guy across from him, regardless of whether people think he's a 1 or a 2, we need another outside WR. 

I am not sold on Pierce, he has been disappointing so far, and I mainly see Downs as a slot threat currently. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AKB said:

every wide receiver benefits from having a talented guy across from him, regardless of whether people think he's a 1 or a 2, we need another outside WR. 

I am not sold on Pierce, he has been disappointing so far, and I mainly see Downs as a slot threat currently. 

Pierce and Pittman would both benefit from some stability at the QB position. I hope both get better as more of the playbook is opened up to AR, but Pierce needs to start making the big boy catches and Pittman needs to be a playmaker for 60 mins. not just a quarter.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

My point is, the title of " true #1receiver" is a subjective and a fictitious title.

the title given wrs number one or number two is something constructed by sports writers and fans. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, w87r said:

You don't get compensation on the Transition Tag, only the right to match the offer.

Could threaten to match prior to offer and work a deal out though.

Oh I didn’t know that. What’s the tag the Ravens put on Lamar Jackson?

Edit* Non exclusive franchise tag. Thank you for clearing up my misunderstanding of the two tags. 

• Like 1

Just now, AwesomeAustin said:

Oh I didn’t know that. What’s the tag the Ravens put on Lamar Jackson?

Non exclusive Franchise Tag

Non exclusive - allows teams to make offers

Exclusive - player can't receive any offers from other teams.

• Thanks 1