Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

AR out with concussion

csmopar

9 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Bored The Office GIF

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. 

At what point do we just give up and admit there’s a curse? It’s getting harder and harder to argue against it. 

This is not a curse.  Mr. Luck thought he could butt heads with defenders as well. 

you have a choice when picking your signal caller. A decent athlete that gets rid of the ball and makes quick decisions or

a gifted athlete that runs around and gets hit. The first guy will play every week for 10-12 years. The latter will never play a full season and will last about 3-6 years. The good news is, the franchise will draft in the top 10 every year regardless.

39 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Bored The Office GIF

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. 

At what point do we just give up and admit there’s a curse? It’s getting harder and harder to argue against it. 

After having elite QBs for decades, it has been only 4 years break and the QB looks promising, is this a curse?

Jets getting Rodgers and seeing him injured in first drive is being cursed.

Richardson got one concussion, and that's being cursed?

When you get Richardson as QB, you've got to make up your mind that his shelf life is not long, unless he becomes very good as a passer. And, he's doing very much fine being a passer as well.

This concussion is part of the learning process for him, and he'll get better. But, it's far from a curse. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Has to learn to protect himself.  He does the Colts no good if he can’t finish games.  Two games two games he’s failed to finish due to injury.  That is very bad.  This also isn’t Andrew Luck where the line isn’t protecting him this is 100% on him.  

I’ll say the Colts would be wise to extend Minshew because I think as long as Richardson is the QB you are going to need a high end back up like Minshew.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

After having elite QBs for decades, it has been only 4 years break and the QB looks promising, is this a curse?

Jets getting Rodgers and seeing him injured in first drive is being cursed.

Richardson got one concussion, and that's being cursed?

When you get Richardson as QB, you've got to make up your mind that his shelf life is not long, unless he becomes very good as a passer. And, he's doing very much fine being a passer as well.

This concussion is part of the learning process for him, and he'll get better. But, it's far from a curse. 

This is two games in a row he’s been hurt. Sustaining a concussion in his second game is absolutely not a bright outlook. We want this guy to be here for 10-15 years. He’s gone two weeks and already sustained an injury that stacks. With all we know about concussions at this point players who sustain multiple concussions in their careers is going to be a thing. Is he going to get 6-8 concussions and play 10-15 years?

Absolutely not. 

But you’re right, already racking up 1 in just 2 weeks isn’t an issue whatsoever. Whatever was I thinking? No one gives a % about head injuries anyways. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

There was helmet to helmet but I think it was the fall. He banged his head on the ground when he fell. 

Yep when you see players heads bounce like that off the ground it almost always ends in a concussion.

The good news is it didn’t look serious (like the Tau ones last year) but you never know with head injuries.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

This is two games in a row he’s been hurt. Sustaining a concussion in his second game is absolutely not a bright outlook. We want this guy to be here for 10-15 years. He’s gone two weeks and already sustained an injury that stacks. With all we know about concussions at this point players who sustain multiple concussions in their careers is going to be a thing. Is he going to get 6-8 concussions and play 10-15 years?

Absolutely not. 

But you’re right, already racking up 1 in just 2 weeks isn’t an issue whatsoever. Whatever was I thinking? No one gives a % about head injuries anyways. 

Yes, it’s frustrating. But, you’re being dramatic lol

It was a designed bootleg run & he got hit LATE. That could have happened with any QB  other QB in the league. Did you expect him to slide at the 1 yard line?? 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IndyD4U said:

Hopefully he’ll learn how to take care of himself 

When he scored the second TD he definitely slowed down as he realized he’d score. That left him open to get flattened. Hopefully he doesn’t repeat Luck’s first few years when he also didn’t avoid hits.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Colts1324 said:

Yes, it’s frustrating. But, you’re being dramatic lol

It was a designed bootleg run & he got hit LATE. That could have happened with any QB  other QB in the league. Did you expect him to slide at the 1 yard line?? 

I was being sarcastic and cheeky about the curse. 

I shouldn’t have to be spending my sunday explaining to grown adults that curses aren’t real but here I am. 

But that doesn’t make my point that having one concussion on the record this soon in his career isn’t great for the long-term. 

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

What it an actual concussion or simply concussion protocol and precautionary.

How do they know its an actual concussion without doing a CT scan?

From what I’ve read:

I think there are certain physical indicators for a concussion.   Like seeing stars, or getting a little dizzy or light headed.   Those are indicators of a concussion. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

What it an actual concussion or simply concussion protocol and precautionary.

How do they know it’s an actual concussion without doing a CT scan?

Like others have said: Usually have symptoms of a concussion to be ruled out.

Also the broadcasters were explaining that they take certain neurological and brain tests at the beginning of the season and those same tests are given any time there are symptoms of a concussion.

If those tests score differently from their beginning tests, the player is ruled out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

From what I’ve read:

I think there are certain physical indicators for a concussion.   Like seeing stars, or getting a little dizzy or light headed.   Those are indicators of a concussion. 

3 minutes ago, Bravo said:

Also the broadcasters were explaining that they take certain neurological and brain tests at the beginning of the season and those same tests are given any time there are symptoms of a concussion.

If those tests score differently from their beginning tests, the player is ruled out.

Thanks guys.  But if its just symptoms, he can probably play next week if they clear quickly enough. 

6 minutes ago, Bravo said:

My cousin is a sports physician assistant. I can definitely confirm this is true. 

13 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Thanks guys.  But if its just symptoms, he can probably play next week if they clear quickly enough. 

I think so, but honestly I don’t know what the league rules are on concussions?   They seem to change every year as more is learned about them and as the league tries to minimize legal exposure.   I assume Shane will say something about it tomorrow if he didn’t clarify today. 

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think so, but honestly I don’t know what the league rules are on concussions?   They seem to change every year as more is learned about them and as the league tries to minimize legal exposure.   I assume Shane will say something about it tomorrow if he didn’t clarify today. 

Last week Ogletree walked off the field waving to everyone like he was fine.  He cleared concussion protocols early enough to practice later in the week.  But they still kept him inactive today.

Maybe they were comfortable with MAC, KG, and Mallory and didn't think they needed him.  Or maybe they error to the side of caution.  

He is the future, they probably won't take any chances with him.  Unless he's clearly ... clear..., they may sit him again.  Especially the way Minshew played.

• Like 2

Unfortunately, this all ESPN and NFL Network will talk about when it comes to us instead of how we dominated the game. The hit he took wasn't even that bad either. He was walking around fine, it wasn't like he was knocked out and laying there for a minute. If I am not mistaken as long as he cleared by Thursday, he can play. Judging by the hit he took and I know his head hit the turf, he will be cleared by then. 

• Like 2

This is why I was skeptical about drafting him before the draft. I said it after the first game and now again. A nfl qb has to be a passer and be able to read the defenses first, not a runner first. Hopefully he can, but I haven’t seen it yet. For those that say he is young so he needs time, if he keeps taking hits like he has, he will never get that time to learn.

1 minute ago, husker61 said:

This is why I was skeptical about drafting him before the draft. I said it after the first game and now again. A nfl qb has to be a passer and be able to read the defenses first, not a runner first. Hopefully he can, but I haven’t seen it yet. For those that say he is young so he needs time, if he keeps taking hits like he has, he will never get that time to learn.

He looked pretty good passing today actually. He got hit on a fluke play where had he just ran through the play he would not of been touched. Something he will learn.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He looked pretty good passing today actually. He got hit on a fluke play where had he just ran through the play he would not of been touched. Something he will learn.

Yep. I don't know what he was thinking, but it seemed like he sort of relaxed a bit as he was about to cross the goal line. Like he expected the defender to pull up possibly. Bet he never does that again. 

• Like 2