Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Boo!! Who is the real Ghost? TY or AP

Indeee

Friendos...

I have been called out for saying that AP was a wasted 2022 2nd round pick. Let's see if I turn out to be right.

This is a running weekly tab on how many games the real ghost, aka Alec Pierce, disappears.  

Week one: CHECK :sip:

Week two: 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Friendos...

I have been called out for saying that AP was a wasted 2022 2nd round pick. Let's see if I turn out to be right.

This is a running weekly tab on how many games the real ghost, aka Alec Pierce, disappears.  

Week two: 

We need the O Line to give protection long enough for AR to take deep shots which is where AP excels. He isnt a crisp route runner that is Downs, he isnt the reliable chain mover that is MPJ, each fills a role. I think we see some deep shots vs a weaker Texans D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Indeee said:

Friendos...

Week two: 

FWIW:

Yes, Pierce didn’t grade well.   But neither did Pittman or Downs.   I think only Granson had a decent grade.  

You might want to consider that with Richardson learning in the job and making his college mistakes at the NFL level, that THAT may be why some of our weapons may not perform as expected.   Richardson is still learning how to read defenses and figuring out how to play quarterback.  

The Colts offense is going to be a work in progress all season long.   They are going to be good days and bad.   Things are going to be a little more complicated than normal.  

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

I either heard or read that the jags were in a lot of cover 2 or a coverage conducive to a short passing game.   That may have something to do with it as well. 

I seen they were taking AR deep game away daring him to pass short. We had no rushing game so Jags had our number no matter how you look at it...:peek:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Indeee said:

Friendos...

Week two: 

Alec disappierce

8 hours ago, Indeee said:

Friendos...

Week two: 

I suppose you could write AR a letter and tell him to look AP’s way this Sunday.  I’m sure he’s aware of your influence on this board.

9 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

We need the O Line to give protection long enough for AR to take deep shots which is where AP excels. He isnt a crisp route runner that is Downs, he isnt the reliable chain mover that is MPJ, each fills a role. I think we see some deep shots vs a weaker Texans D

I suspect that folks are sleeping on the HOU D. They are pretty good. And they'll benefit 

from the extra energy that comes from playing in their home opener.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, krunk said:

I used to bash Reggie Wayne in year 2 as well. Once year 3 happened he was good to go. I'm willing to give it more time.

I have never understood why or how anyone can give up on a player after 1 season and 1 game. Sometimes it takes that 3rd season before a player starts to become good. Reggie wasn't good until year 3 for example as you stated

• Like 1

3 hours ago, indykmj said:

I suspect that folks are sleeping on the HOU D. They are pretty good. And they'll benefit 

from the extra energy that comes from playing in their home opener.

Yup. They're not quite Jacksonville but they have some pieces and they troubled Lamar.

I had really high hopes for AP this season. I thought his strengths fit very well with what I expect AR to be good at initially and I thought there is a potential for very good synergy between them. It's probably still early and I want to see more of a sample and against different types of defenses that might allow more of a vertical game for this offense... but... with that said... I've been kind of disappointed with him both in the pre-season games and in the game vs the Jags... 

Lets hope he does better going forward... :dunno:

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, NorthernColt said:

Wild to me when people would rather feed their ego and hope they're right, than to swallow their pride and hope a player on their favorite team develops and turns into a stud. Wild I tell you.

Wasn't there just a whole thread on how Leonard is done?   And he had how many tackles?

Not so wild if you look around the forum.

It's true that AP has been underwhelming so far, but it was obvious they weren't going to use his strength until they get AR settled in and confirm he won't get killed when attempting a long pass.

I've been bouncing this idea around to see what others think.   If AR is going to have designed running plays called for him, then it makes sense that SS would want a WR that was good at blocking the edge players.  So maybe our evaluations of AP are based on things that are not the same as what the Colts will necessarily emphasize....like a limited route tree not being as big of a deal as we think.   Of course you want the WR to improve his WR skills...especially catching the ball.  Just saying that there may be more to the story than what we expect.

1 hour ago, stitches said:

I had really high hopes for AP this season. I thought his strengths fit very well with what I expect AR to be good at initially and I thought there is a potential for very good synergy between them. It's probably still early and I want to see more of a sample and against different types of defenses that might allow more of a vertical game for this offense... but... with that said... I've been kind of disappointed with him both in the pre-season games and in the game vs the Jags... 

Lets hope he does better going forward... :dunno:

Perhaps I'm over thinking this but,

Pierce had a route that he rounded off because the defender kept him far enough in front that Pierce couldn't get into him, then break out thus creating space. A fine job done by the defender, and I figure that is what he was coached to do against Pierce.

So here is the point. When AR and Pierce are totally confident in each other, I believe that given the space the defender played at, the proper read would have been for Pierce to break off the route for an easy sideline catch. 

I believe Manning would have have read and done that with Marvin or Reggie. As a rookie this probably helped account for some of Mannings World Record 26 int.

AND, him having 100 int his 1st 5 years. Remember though, Manning's longer balls often fluttered like wounded ducks those first 5 years.

Practice practice practice. It is going to take a few years fans.

On 9/12/2023 at 9:42 PM, Indeee said:

Friendos...

Week two: CHECK:sip:

Week Three:

49 minutes ago, Indeee said:

To be clear, you were called out by me because you posted that you hated Pierce on the day he was drafted.   I think you view everything about Pierce through that viewpoint. 

You can check all the boxes you want, but I don’t think you know what you’re talking about.   

You’re entitled to any opinion you want and I’m sure some here will agree with you,  I just won’t be one of them. 

Sorry.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

To be clear, you were called out by me because you posted that you hated Pierce on the day he was drafted.   I think you view everything about Pierce through that viewpoint. 

You can check all the boxes you want, but I don’t think you know what you’re talking about.   

You’re entitled to any opinion you want and I’m sure some here will agree with you,  I just won’t be one of them. 

Sorry.  

Ok, "stat/facts/metrics/analytics/I read all the articles" ...guy. I'm just here watching games... :sip:

On to week 3

9 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Ok, "stat/facts/metrics/analytics/I read all the articles" ...guy. I'm just here watching games... :sip:

On to week 3

Here’s something for you and everyone that agrees with you.   And you don’t have to go far to find it.  It’s right here on Colts.com, free to all.  

Click on the team, then click on the roster, then click on Pierce’s name.   You’ll see the guy you hate (your words) had a really good rookie year.  (Not that you noticed).  41 receptions for 594 yards.   A 14.5 yards per catch average.   That’s basically 2 full yards per catch better than any year Pittman has had.    He’s raw, he should get better.   I’m sorry you missed Pierce’s rookie season.   I’m just not surprised. 

Slanted viewpoint:  Check

Allergic to facts:      Check

On 9/17/2023 at 5:21 PM, Indeee said:

Friendos...

This is a running weekly tab on how many games the real ghost, aka Alec Pierce, disappears.  

Week one: CHECK 

Week two: CHECK

Week Three: Partial CHECK ( 3 for 7 is better or aka a little Boo )

Week Four: 

4 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I asked this question in another post -  should Pierce have caught that long ball? 

I know it was good coverage and he was stripped.   But I think Pittman comes down with that ball.  

I actually believe Pierce will not be on this team past his rook contract. I hope I'm wrong because we need receivers in the worst way, however I have never thought Pierce was a high ceiling player. The one trick pony non-sense some label him as "his thing" is very misleading considering this guy never seems to truly beat anybody on the long ball with speed. Wasted pick and I'm standing pat until proven otherwise. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I actually believe Pierce will not be on this team past his rook contract. I hope I'm wrong because we need receivers in the worst way, however I have never thought Pierce was a high ceiling player. The one trick pony non-sense some label him as "his thing" is very misleading considering this guy never seems to truly beat anybody on the long ball with speed. Wasted pick and I'm standing pat until proven otherwise. 

I don't think he's a 'wasted' pick yet.. he has upside.

That said, he needs to come down with some of the deep balls and big plays.  I wonder if he's got a little bit of a confidence issue right now, as it seems like he has missed more of the 50/50 opportunities (e.g., late game deep ball today) than he has made.  Hopefully he can come down with a big play or two in the coming weeks and get his confidence up... if he held onto that deep ball late in the game today, that is a HUGE play.  

It would've been a great catch, and it's not 'awful' that he didn't catch it... but, as @Smonroesaid, I bet Pittman would have come down with that... if Pierce is going to earn a big contract after his rookie deal, he's gotta make more of those tough plays than he misses.

On 9/17/2023 at 4:42 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Here’s something for you and everyone that agrees with you.   And you don’t have to go far to find it.  It’s right here on Colts.com, free to all.  

Click on the team, then click on the roster, then click on Pierce’s name.   You’ll see the guy you hate (your words) had a really good rookie year.  (Not that you noticed).  41 receptions for 594 yards.   A 14.5 yards per catch average.   That’s basically 2 full yards per catch better than any year Pittman has had.    He’s raw, he should get better.   I’m sorry you missed Pierce’s rookie season.   I’m just not surprised. 

Slanted viewpoint:  Check

Allergic to facts:      Check

Oh wow.  2 yards more per catch! That may actually mean something if he caught more than two balls a game.  This year he has six catches for 48 yards.  I hope he turns things around and has a breakout year, as it would greatly help the Colts and I actually really liked this draft pick.  So far, he has not been the #2 that the Colts need him to be.  Decent rookie year, especially considering the circumstances, but he has disappeared in big moments this year.  Also, he's supposed to "do his thing" by catching deep balls, but he has been unable to get separation and has repeatedly been out muscled by smaller corners.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kymd82222 said:

Oh wow.  2 yards more per catch! That may actually mean something if he caught more than two balls a game.  This year he has six catches for 48 yards.  I hope he turns things around and has a breakout year, as it would greatly help the Colts and I actually really liked this draft pick.  So far, he has not been the #2 that the Colts need him to be.  Decent rookie year, especially considering the circumstances, but he has disappeared in big moments this year.  Also, he's supposed to "do his thing" by catching deep balls, but he has been unable to get separation and has repeatedly been out muscled by smaller corners.  

In his defense he did make a couple big catches in the game and minshew missed him for a walk in td when the ravens cb fell

I’ll take the guy who is on pace for 143 catches and 1300 yards receiving even if he does average two less yards per catch.

I’ll agree Pierce isn’t getting as many chances as Pittman but he’s also not taking advantage of the chances he is getting either unlike Pittman who is.  I am much more concerned about that than I am his numbers.  If Pierce caught one deep pass every few games it would completely change the way teams play the Colts on defense and that would be worth it even if he’s numbers aren’t as good as Pittman.

Also full disclosure I WANT AP to do well because if he does well he will help the Colts so I am NOT pulling against him.

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I’ll take the guy who is on pace for 143 catches and 1300 yards receiving even if he does average two less yards per catch.

I’ll agree Pierce isn’t getting as many chances as Pittman but he’s also not taking advantage of the chances he is getting either unlike Pittman who is.  I am much more concerned about that than I am his numbers.  If Pierce caught one deep pass every few games it would completely change the way teams play the Colts on defense and that would be worth it even if he’s numbers aren’t as good as Pittman.

Also full disclosure I WANT AP to do well because if he does well he will help the Colts so I am NOT pulling against him.

@GoColts8818

Would you please change your settings.   I’d like to have a conversation with you, but I’d like to have it privately, not publicly.  

Please let me know.   Thanks.  

NCF

Friendos...

This is a running weekly tab on how many games the real ghost, aka Alec Pierce, disappears.  

Week Four: CHECK 

Week Five:

1 hour ago, Indeee said:

Friendos...

Week Four: CHECK 

Week Five:

He's not even on track for 500 yards in what was supposed to be his breakout year.  Bust.  

• Like 1