Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select QB Anthony Richardson Florida (merge)

danlhart87

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yep. Just needs to learn how to throw short passes, and I believe he'll be fine. That's doable when he has the traits to be a QB already. He's going to be really good IMO, and has a chance to be better than Luck with a proper coach like Steichen by his side. 

If he stays healthy, I think we can win a SB. I haven't been this high on the Colts since 2014.

This is the happiest I have been since we drafted Luck in 2012. I enjoyed the 2020 season with Rivers but other than that we haven't had much to cheer for since Luck's early days from 2012-2014. Hard to believe we haven't won the division since 2014 which led to an AFC Title Game, that was with Luck. The combo of AR and Taylor in that backfield is going to be electric IMO.

Had we taken Will Wentz I would've freakin croaked Season 4 Falling GIF by The Simpsons

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This is the happiest I have been since we drafted Luck in 2012. I enjoyed the 2020 season with Rivers but other than that we haven't had much to cheer for since Luck's early days from 2012-2014. Hard to believe we haven't won the division since 2014 which led to an AFC Title Game, that was with Luck. The combo of AR and Taylor in that backfield is going to be electric IMO.

Had we taken Will Wentz I would've freakin croaked Season 4 Falling GIF by The Simpsons

You would have fell down springfield gorge lol! haha 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah, I can't wait to see how our offense is changed. No more immobile QBs. We get to experience a modern offense with a coach that knows how to use modern QBs. Welcome to 2023 Indy! haha Now lets catch up to the rest of the AFC!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

I love that. Thank you for sharing. He is such a likeable guy who seems grounded and respectful. He is genuinely humble despite his athletic gifts. I'm very impressed with him. :)

Are you happy with who you guys got?   I know you wanted that LB and missed out.  I haven't looked at your full draft but that WR should be good

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You would have fell down springfield gorge lol! haha 

I agree with you both.  This is the most excited i've been about this team since luck retired.   I always wanted to win now in the past but there will be growing pains.  I just want to see AR play and improve this season.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

I agree with you both.  This is the most excited i've been about this team since luck retired.   I always wanted to win now in the past but there will be growing pains.  I just want to see AR play and improve this season.

I'm hoping we keep Ballard now if we only win 6 games or so as long as Richardson shows progress. This is where we can start building around him and putting together a couple drafts that are solid over the next couple years. With Richardson on a rookie contract, we can pay guys like Taylor and Pittman around him, and keep drafting great classes like this year to supplement them on rookie contracts. 

Finally, we can do things right like the other teams with young, elite QBs.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yep. Between Richardson and Levis, we, by far, made the right decision to draft Richardson. He is the exact type of QB you need to win a SB in this day and age. Steichen should be able to do something with him as well. He's more athletic than any QB in my lifetime, and he's well worth the risk when the reward is a SB win. Levis is probably a game manager at the NFL level tbh.

I agree for the most part but I also think Levis may also do well with the titans unless he sabatages himself. The plus with Ar is he is three years younger so we should have him longer than the titans have Levis.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I agree for the most part but I also think Levis may also do well with the titans unless he sabatages himself. The plus with Ar is he is three years younger so we should have him longer than the titans have Levis.

Levis would have been our pick if AR wasn’t there.  Ballard didn’t think it was worth trading to 3 to guarantee getting AR.  That says he was happy getting either one.  Levis is very capable of taking us to the cleaners if the Titans surround him with good players.  The same can be said for AR.  AR is younger with more upside supposedly.  So hopefully his choice works out in our favor but only time will tell.  

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Levis would have been our pick if AR wasn’t there.  Ballard didn’t think it was worth trading to 3 to guarantee getting AR.  That says he was happy getting either one.  Levis is very capable of taking us to the cleaners if the Titans surround him with good players.  The same can be said for AR.  AR is younger with more upside supposedly.  So hopefully his choice works out in our favor but only time will tell.  

I agree Levis and Stroud could both look like minshew did when he faced us

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

AR is younger but that never ever means that he would last longer in the NFL...especially with him being a running QB (they have shorter careers than guys with a safer playing style).

After Luck retiring early due to injuries etc, i'm honestly surprised that Irsay wanted to go this route for the new QB.   Look at teams with a run first QB and the back-up almost always has to play 3-6 games a year it seems

56 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

They didn't value them the same.  If they were on the board at the same time the Colts would have still taken AR.

Irsay went so far as to say if we were picking #1 we probably still would have taken AR.  Levis was the backup option.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, coltsblue1844 said:

AR is younger but that never ever means that he would last longer in the NFL...especially with him being a running QB (they have shorter careers than guys with a safer playing style).

After Luck retiring early due to injuries etc, i'm honestly surprised that Irsay wanted to go this route for the new QB.   Look at teams with a run first QB and the back-up almost always has to play 3-6 games a year it seems

Because he's not stuck being a run 1st QB.  Will always be some of his game, but they are betting on the upside of him being a top level passer.  Not all running quarterback get injured like that.  Elway had a long career.  So did Randal Cunningham.  Just depends on how much running we are talking about.   It can all be adjusted to make sense. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, krunk said:

They didn't value them the same.  If they were on the board at the same time the Colts would have still taken AR.

Irsay went so far as to say if we were picking #1 we probably still would have taken AR.  Levis was the backup option.

Seriously.  Isn’t that what I said in my first two sentences?  

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

No way were the Colts drafting Levis. They would have traded back.

Richardson was my second choice (behind Stroud) but am a bit guardedly optimistic

I hope the Colts fan base is PATIENT

The kid needs game snaps to get better

We will probably be drafting in top 5 next year....... and that HAS to be ok....

My hope is that Richardson has proven enough in the next 10-12 months that we can use that pick on other holes on this team

Marvin Harrison Jr would look great as a Colt

• Like 2

1 hour ago, coltsblue1844 said:

Luck got slammed to the turf a few dozen times each season because he didn't see the blitz coming And/or he was holding onto the ball waiting for TY to get open downfield. He made bad choices, including snow boarding, and he Quit, in fear of his next injury. Plus he had 26M large of Jim's $$$ in the bank even if he decided to stay home on his *. 

Hurts ran 165 times last season, 30+ in sneaks, while throwing 460 time's.

Run first you say?

Richardson will be taught to read and take what the D gives him.

Running enough to make them often bring a safety up to help, thus creating more throwing space. A simple formula. 

Just so everyone is aware.....the difference between Richardsons completion percentage in college last year, and a potential 65% completion percentage was a mere 3 completions per game. Thats it. Just 3 more completions per game wouldve gotten him there. 

And, for the first time in his football life, he will have an entire NFL staff building a scheme around him and his best abilities. I think that alone should get him close to that.

Im not totally convinced that he cant come in next year and be an effective passer. Its not like hes gonna be Josh Allen making tons of low percentage throws downfield all the time.

He is gonna come in here and hand the ball off a lot, run a lot of RPO and zone read and mostly make high percentage throws with very simple reads. And he will occasionally attack downfield, which isnt really his problem anyways.

There is a world where you can play him and not throw him to the wolves, so to speak. Allow him to naturally expand the playbook, over time, and slowly. He already has a foundation to build on with his athleticism, and they will use that.

Remember what Morocco Brown said that his floor is higher than some QBs ceiling. You dont sit high floor players, you sit boom or bust players. And I dont think the Colts feel he needs to sit. Especially Shane, and hes gonna be the one who makes the call.

If he picks up the offense, and he should because its gonna be rather simple, he will start.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I love that. Thank you for sharing. He is such a likeable guy who seems grounded and respectful. He is genuinely humble despite his athletic gifts. I'm very impressed with him. :)

It's not at all hard to see why they picked him at 4, and why I think they would have really considered him at 1 if they had that pick.

He's raw in terms of snaps and experience but the physical tools and apparently the mental acuity means the Colts are getting a clean slate. Shane Steichen gets to mold this into whatever he wants, and evolve this talent into the future of NFL quarterbacking. It's no easy feat but the humility, work ethic, and intangibles all seem to be there.

Give him reps, let him earn his lumps and gain experience. The NFL could be in serious trouble.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2023 at 6:09 PM, Superman said:

We'll see. If Minshew plays like JB did in 2019 and we start 5-2 (which is really optimistic; I think JB was very average, we had a soft schedule, and some things just broke our way), there would obviously be debate about what to do at QB. But I know how I felt then, and I would absolutely support moving to Richardson in that situation.

The other factor is whether Richardson is ready. If he looks great in preseason, he could start Week 1. But if it looks rough and Minshew is the starter, the fans won't really know what kind of progress he's making in practice and meetings. So we might have a situation where it looks like we should consider making a change, but the staff holds off because they don't want to put Richardson out there yet. Of course, if they play it the way I hope, we'll see Richardson in certain packages right away, even if he's not the starter.

Long story, I don't know if win/loss is the biggest factor, but it could be significant if the team is winning.

I was just listening to Greg Cosell talking about Richardson and he kind of shocked me with his prediction. He's more of a traditional scout and his opinion on Richardson is very much along the lines of "he's a big project and needs a lot of development"... and despite that he was unequivocal that he thinks Richardson starts day 1. The reason - he said the offense Steichen will build for him will be similar to the one he had for Hurts and this simplifies a lot of the reads for a QB... So at the same times Richardson's running ability and threat will serve him as a crutch in his initial game experience and at the same time that threat makes it extremely difficult for defenses to throw super complicated and intricate looks at him because he can always punish them with his feet. So even in the passing game he will likely be getting simplified and well defined reads that he can execute. He said Steichen did the same with Hurts...

• Like 1

Anyone suggesting him being a desperation pick has an agenda.   This kid might boom or might bust, but everyone in the draft room was pumped.   If Ballard was desperate he would hand traded up like the Panthers and texans

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, stitches said:

I was just listening to Greg Cosell talking about Richardson and he kind of shocked me with his prediction. He's more of a traditional scout and his opinion on Richardson is very much along the lines of "he's a big project and needs a lot of development"... and despite that he was unequivocal that he thinks Richardson starts day 1. The reason - he said the offense Steichen will build for him will be similar to the one he had for Hurts and this simplifies a lot of the reads for a QB... So at the same times Richardson's running ability and threat will serve him as a crutch in his initial game experience and at the same time that threat makes it extremely difficult for defenses to throw super complicated and intricate looks at him because he can always punish them with his feet. So even in the passing game he will likely be getting simplified and well defined reads that he can execute. He said Steichen did the same with Hurts...

I think the decision will be based on what happens in camps and preseason games, not anyone's predetermined ideas and timelines. 

It makes sense and is super obvious that the offense will be practically the same as what they did with Hurts, and he was the Day 1 starter in 2021, but that was his second season, and he got some playing time and starts in 2020. Also, while Hurts is an easy comp, I think it's relevant that Hurts had way more experience and production in college, and was also around much better coaches -- Nick Saban, Brian Daboll, Lane Kiffin, Lincoln Riley, Cale Gundy, etc. Hurts was a three year starter, and the one year he didn't start was sandwiched in between other seasons in which he was the full time starter. Hurts was likely much further along in his development than Richardson is right now.

So while Sirianni and Steichen showed up in Philly and made Hurts the starter, with a developmental plan to expand his responsibilities as QB, that doesn't mean Richardson will be the starter right away in Indy. I do think that they'll have a well considered plan for him, and I expect they'll be flexible with it. But I don't think those decisions will be made before camp/preseason evaluations.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, DoubleE Colt said:

So we will know how far Levis fell after Colts went with AR........but do we think that if they'd have picked Levis, AR would have fallen as far?!

Pete Carrol said they gave a LOT of  tremendous consideration to drafting AR at #5 if he would have been available.  I don't think there's any chance AR was going to fall to the 2nd round.

Just now, DoubleE Colt said:

So we will know how far Levis fell after Colts went with AR........but do we think that if they'd have picked Levis, AR would have fallen as far?!

Pretty sure Seahawks would of taken him. There was also enough teams I think below us that had good enough vets they might of taken him let him sit. Little different with Levis because his age and although he had a high enough ceiling it wasn’t AR ceiling.

9 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yeah, I can't wait to see how our offense is changed. No more immobile QBs. We get to experience a modern offense with a coach that knows how to use modern QBs. Welcome to 2023 Indy! haha Now lets catch up to the rest of the AFC!

Thr only one concern that I have heard medically about Richardson is that he could have tight hamstrings. Not a stretch considering he had some hammy issues in college 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Thr only one concern that I have heard medically about Richardson is that he could have tight hamstrings. Not a stretch considering he had some hammy issues in college 

that doesn't stop him from back flipping all the time...

Maybe, the concern is that might show up during the games? 

He's had few injuries in college, Colts will have to monitor constantly on us health. 

6 hours ago, coltsblue1844 said:

Well Levis runs to and actually plats more reckless. Granted if both are healthy Richardson should play longer unless Levis plays til brady's age.

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Pretty sure Seahawks would of taken him. There was also enough teams I think below us that had good enough vets they might of taken him let him sit. Little different with Levis because his age and although he had a high enough ceiling it wasn’t AR ceiling.

There's a story out in the last day or so that had a Seattle Exec saying the Seahawks liked AR a lot, but would NOT have drafted him.   I think it was on NFL.com, but I wouldn’t swear to it. 

39 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

There's a story out in the last day or so that had a Seattle Exec saying the Seahawks liked AR a lot, but would NOT have drafted him.   I think it was on NFL.com, but I wouldn’t swear to it. 

We will never know...but what we do know for a fact is that the Seahawks passed on Levis....twice.

14 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

Are you happy with who you guys got?   I know you wanted that LB and missed out.  I haven't looked at your full draft but that WR should be good

Thanks for asking. I don't like it. I actually wanted Nolan Smith or a CB (Banks or Porter).

Do you recall when Ryan Grigson drafted Dorsett when the Colts had lots of needs on defense and OL? It seemed like the same happened here. We were scheduled for 1 pick in the first 86 picks. We had to get someone with more value than Addison. JMO. I'm getting over it. Lol.

Btw, Ryan Grigson is with the Vikings player personnel department. :(

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Thanks for asking. I don't like it. I actually wanted Nolan Smith or a CB (Banks or Porter).

Do you recall when Ryan Grigson drafted Dorsett when the Colts had lots of needs on defense and OL? It seemed like the same happened here. We were scheduled for 1 pick in the first 86 picks. We had to get someone with more value than Addison. JMO. I'm getting over it. Lol.

Btw, Ryan Grigson is with the Vikings player personnel department. :(

Grigson can be found washing dirty towels?

14 hours ago, coltsblue1844 said:

My hunch is that the plan is to use his run game until he develops more into a passer, and from what I read he keeps his eyes downfield before taking off.  Should definitely be exciting to watch!

12 hours ago, Goatface Killah said:

Just so everyone is aware.....the difference between Richardsons completion percentage in college last year, and a potential 65% completion percentage was a mere 3 completions per game. Thats it. Just 3 more completions per game wouldve gotten him there. 

And, for the first time in his football life, he will have an entire NFL staff building a scheme around him and his best abilities. I think that alone should get him close to that.

Im not totally convinced that he cant come in next year and be an effective passer. Its not like hes gonna be Josh Allen making tons of low percentage throws downfield all the time.

He is gonna come in here and hand the ball off a lot, run a lot of RPO and zone read and mostly make high percentage throws with very simple reads. And he will occasionally attack downfield, which isnt really his problem anyways.

There is a world where you can play him and not throw him to the wolves, so to speak. Allow him to naturally expand the playbook, over time, and slowly. He already has a foundation to build on with his athleticism, and they will use that.

Remember what Morocco Brown said that his floor is higher than some QBs ceiling. You dont sit high floor players, you sit boom or bust players. And I dont think the Colts feel he needs to sit. Especially Shane, and hes gonna be the one who makes the call.

If he picks up the offense, and he should because its gonna be rather simple, he will start.

I also read he didn't have this QB camps growing up, and he'll get the best QB training in the world now.   I'm really excited for my annual Indy trip this year!!

Just now, Dark Superman said:

So glad they decided to roll with AR5! I've been pitching for the Colts to take him for a few months now. LFG!

Funny thing for me is I really wanted Stroud, but when we picked Richardson I got super excited because of his potential.