Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select QB Anthony Richardson Florida (merge)

danlhart87

11 hours ago, Zoltan said:

I'm not anti-Irsay, I'm just flabbergasted when he says things that negatively affect the team

Same here. I think he's been great for the Colts and city of Indy. But he's a kook. Have we just blacked out the past 12 months?

2 hours ago, stitches said:

I will be posting some Greg Cosell scouting reports on our draft picks. Here's the one for Richardson:

https://www.the33rdteam.com/nfl-draft/2023/players/anthony-richardson-53620/scouting-reports/

ANTHONY RICHARDSON

QB | FLORIDA

So.#15

Background:

Richardson strongly was featured as a designed runner in Florida’s offense with multiple QB run game concepts. In the pass game the focus was schemed concepts (at times off boot action with misdirection) that presented defined reads and throws without asking Richardson to go through progression reads. Half-field reads (with flood a foundational concept) were strongly featured in the Florida passing game.

What stood out watching Richardson in 2022 was defenses deployed spy tactics, especially on third down.

Positives:

• Big, physically impressive and imposing athlete with outstanding athleticism and speed; Freakish athletic traits.
  • Dominant runner with size/athleticism/speed/explosiveness profile that not many possess, big-time playmaker.
  • Effortless thrower, can easily flick the ball from a balanced, sturdy lower half with a firm base and feet planted.
  • Natural thrower with good sequencing in his delivery, used his core and weight transfer effectively to throw.
  • Capable of big-time throws at the intermediate and vertical levels of the defense, precise ball placement.
  • Flashed patience in the pocket working from primary read side to the other side of the field, stayed balanced.
  • Made some tough throws off pocket movement with bodies around him, size and arm strength big factors.
  • Showed more touch at times as the season progressed; Made the right kind of throw with good ball location.
  • Threw the ball effortlessly on the move at all levels, gives an offense the designed boot action pass game.
  • Strength as runner to shed tacklers, and strength and quickness in the pocket to shed and avoid pass rushers.
  • Showed the special ability to make outstanding second reaction movement plays as both runner and passer.

Negatives:

• Balance and footwork in the pocket needs to become more consistent, too many snaps with poor mechanics.
  • Much to learn RE: playing QB position from the pocket with nuance demanded, must learn progression reads.
  • Must develop more touch and pace on shorter throws, tendency to throw it too hot, increasing catch difficulty.
  • Needs to develop a better and more refined feel for the timing and rhythm of the passing game, inconsistent.
  • Scattershot tendencies with ball placement, missed too many routine throws, not giving receivers a chance.
  • At this point showed a tendency at times to perceive pressure in the pocket and break down unnecessarily.
  • Tendency to drop his eyes before setting in the pocket and break down in pocket leaving throws on the field.
  • Reps in which he drifted off the midline creating his own pressure, result was he broke down in the pocket.

Bottom Line:

Richardson will get people excited with his athletic and physical profile, and there is no question that profile can be described as freakish, but he has a long way to go RE: development of the more subtle nuances and details of the QB position. The question is how much he will be asked to play from the pocket given his outstanding running traits and develop the skills needed to become a quality higher-level NFL QB prospect.

He showed flashes on specific plays of being able to play with poise in the pocket, staying patient and finding secondary receivers in progressions, with the question being can he develop that trait at a needed higher level with more reps and experience; Richardson falls into the traits category of size, arm strength, and athleticism, and many will see him as a special prospect solely for that reason, with the belief that he can be coached and taught the more refined mental and physical details of the position.

The main question is ball placement, which was a significant issue for Richardson, and the bottom line is if you can’t place the ball where you want and need to, then you are going to struggle at the next level.

Overall, Richardson will likely be drafted early in the first round because of his physical profile and his ability to make explosive individual plays with his arm and legs, but there is much work to be done RE: pre-snap and post-snap recognition and understanding, and ball placement.

I could see Richardson early in his career working in an offense similar to the Eagles’ with Jalen Hurts, with multiple run game concepts that start with the QB and a pass game that works off the run game with defined reads and throws, given the greater predictability of defensive alignments and coverages.

That's a refreshingly objective analysis.

A Hurts timeline is probably the best case scenario. AR gets some run his first year and starts year 2. Takes off year 3. 

Hurts was one year older as a rookie than AR will be. But Hurts also had played 30 more college games at that point, including a season with Lincoln Riley. And then he got an entire 2nd season to develop with Steichen before breaking out last season.

I just don't think there is going to be a cheat code for AR's lack of experience. It's going to take time. 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

A Hurts timeline is probably the best case scenario. AR gets some run his first year and starts year 2. Takes off year 3. 

Hurts was one year older as a rookie than AR will be. But Hurts also had played 30 more college games at that point, including a season with Lincoln Riley. And then he got an entire 2nd season to develop with Steichen before breaking out last season.

I just don't think there is going to be a cheat code for AR's lack of experience. It's going to take time. 

Agreed. There is no cheat code for AR, even if he feels like one at times. The reality is - a lot of work needs to be put into his development if  we want him to get to a level where he is considered high level passer in the game. We are in a bit of a catch 22 here - at the same time he is not ready to play right away AND he needs to play because he lacks experience. Ideally he would have gotten that experience in college, but that's not what we got... we got a QB that WE will need to give experience to, while teaching him the nuances of the game and trying to iron out his footwork. So yeah... no cheat codes... he will just need to bust his * working and Steichen and the coaching staff will need to find ways to ease him into some games so he can get much needed experience. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, #12. said:

Ballard tricks everyone into going along with his grinding style of play after all.  It's odd that the same people who didn't want to run the ball with Taylor are fine with a game full of between the tackles QB runs.  

Legitimate question here: Who didn't/doesn't want to run the ball with Taylor?  I'm not sure what you're referencing?

On 4/28/2023 at 11:10 AM, Colt.45 said:

All of this. His pocket movement, the calm and poise, the eye movement, the manipulation. He's played 13 games and does things naturally that some players in the NFL struggle with. He lacks the polish others have but it's all a matter of amplifying strengths and hiding weaknesses till they become strengths. It's what happened with Hurts, it's what happened with Allen. Is it risky? Of course! If the young man busts, Ballard is gone alongside Steichen but if you're taking a risk then a high upside risk is not a bad one to take considering they had the top 3 QBs pretty close. 

Hope Richardson is Michael Jordan to Bryce Young's Steph Curry. 

Michael Jordan isnt the right theoretical upside comp. It's more Lebron James.

4 hours ago, shasta519 said:

That 1st paragraph.  Oof. 

The game has changed though.  But oof. 

I’m OK with AR playing early and suffering through his mistakes as he learns. I’m not OK with him playing early if he’s going to get pounded by rushers because of bad offensive line play. Injuries can happen anytime but protecting AR has to be the priority. Manning holds the rookie record for picks. Learning and making mistakes is fine — AR should be mentally tough enough to handle that. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, stitches said:

Agreed. There is no cheat code for AR, even if he feels like one at times. The reality is - a lot of work needs to be put into his development if  we want him to get to a level where he is considered high level passer in the game. We are in a bit of a catch 22 here - at the same time he is not ready to play right away AND he needs to play because he lacks experience. Ideally he would have gotten that experience in college, but that's not what we got... we got a QB that WE will need to give experience to, while teaching him the nuances of the game and trying to iron out his footwork. So yeah... no cheat codes... he will just need to bust his * working and Steichen and the coaching staff will need to find ways to ease him into some games so he can get much needed experience. 

The big positive (in my opinion) is that he HASN'T played a lot.  He's this lump of clay that Steichen gets to mold at his pace.  There isn't as much to un-learn.  This is going to be a great timeline story.  ...at least I hope it is going to be.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, stitches said:

Give him the experience, have a bad year or two, pick high in next year's draft, and possibly the following.  It could all work out.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

Give him the experience, have a bad year or two, pick high in next year's draft, and possibly the following.  It could all work out.

Even Burrow got killed before he became a top 3 QB. We need patience with AR. I expect another top 10 draft pick, but a lot of exciting times on offense.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, CR91 said:

Even Burrow got killed before he became a top 3 QB. We need patience with AR. I expect another top 10 draft pick, but a lot of exciting times on offense.

We could definitely use a high pick in next year’s draft to load up on some positions, so that would not be a bad thing actually.

I'm sure a few people have already pointed this one out, but Richardson deep balling to Pierce is gonna be fun to watch. Richardson excels at those deep throws and Pierce can locate and high point that bell extremely well. He should only get better at it from his rookie season too.

We need to give Richardson 3 years to progress too before we start to expect toowoomba much from him. Josh Allen and Hurts took that long, and they had at least a season of college ball more than him coming into the league.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, CR91 said:

last 3 draft  Florida had zero wr,s drafted  they all sucked. they had min 10 to 15 drops  a  game .

2021 Logged 115 yards and a touchdown on four rushing attempts and completed 3-of-3 passes for a total of 152 yards and two touchdowns against South Florida (Sept. 11)… Recorded 160 rushing yards on seven carries and completed 3-of-8 passes for a total of 40 yards, in addition to scoring his first-career rushing touchdown on a career-best 73-yards run, during Florida’s season opener against Florida Atlantic (Sept. 4) play 8 games that year. as a 2021 (Redshirt Freshman): 

32 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

I'm sure a few people have already pointed this one out, but Richardson deep balling to Pierce is gonna be fun to watch. Richardson excels at those deep throws and Pierce can locate and high point that bell extremely well. He should only get better at it from his rookie season too.

We need to give Richardson 3 years to progress too before we start to expect toowoomba much from him. Josh Allen and Hurts took that long, and they had at least a season of college ball more than him coming into the league.

Logged 18 completions for 271 yards with a career-long 78-yard touchdown pass vs. No. 1 Georgia (Oct. 29), tying for the 11th-longest pass play since 1996 in program history… Combined for 294 yards (185 passing and 109 rushing) of offense against LSU (Oct. 15) with 15 completions, one passing (51 yards) touchdown and a rushing score of 81 yards, setting the longest by a UF QB and the program’s third-longest TD rush since 1996…

What i like about AR versus some of these other mobile QBs is he is already a raw pocket passer. He already is comfortable setting up in the pocket making reads and progressions. Its not one of these deals like RG3 where you had to force him to learn pocket passing. Watched another lengthy film break down from Phil Simms who also concluded just like Peyton that what Richardson needs is reps and game experience to fine tune. This of course with everything they are doing with his mechanics and touch.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Chucklez said:

I absolutely agree 

As fans, we will need to be patient with the kid

There will be BOOs as he learns the pro game....  I hope he is ready for that

Though my first choice was Stroud, I'm happy with the pick, and next year we will be PROBABLY drafting early again

(Which is fine, as we grow the QB of the future)

I hope that AR show enough potential that we can use those very early picks to buildout this team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, krunk said:

What i like about AR versus some of these other mobile QBs is he is already a raw pocket passer. He already is comfortable setting up in the pocket making reads and progressions. Its not one of these deals like RG3 where you had to force him to learn pocket passing. Watched another lengthy film break down from Phil Simms who also concluded just like Peyton that what Richardson needs is reps and game experience to fine tune. This of course with everything they are doing with his mechanics and touch.

If these steps can move him from mid 50% to low 60% completion rate we will have a winner

The kid seems smart enough and is said to have the work ethic

Lets hope he puts it all together

27 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

If these steps can move him from mid 50% to low 60% completion rate we will have a winner

The kid seems smart enough and is said to have the work ethic

Lets hope he puts it all together

Im confident he will. All driven by his live of the game, understanding what his talent is, snd his desire to be great. I see these things present in him. Steichen did too!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

We could definitely use a high pick in next year’s draft to load up on some positions, so that would not be a bad thing actually.

I’m of the belief that having a poor record this next season as Anthony learns and takes his lumps will actually benefit the team longterm. Then you can land a top prospect like a Marvin Harrison Jr or other top players to build around him. Or trade down for a haul. 

• Like 2

On 5/1/2023 at 7:26 AM, stitches said:

“I would rather take the risk, the risk that he might fail, than pass on him and see him become a star somewhere else. We’re taking a guy not only for what he can do today but for what he can become tomorrow.

That's great! Do you find a lot more optimism here?

21 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Dang 

Hmmm...a top exec is lukewarm on getting a QB that needs fixing, but eventually changes his mind. Doesn't sound familiar at all.

I will have to read that article when I get a chance. 

1 minute ago, shasta519 said:

Hmmm...a top exec is lukewarm on getting a QB that needs fixing, but eventually changes his mind. Doesn't sound familiar at all.

I will have to read that article when I get a chance. 

What Richardson said to him when asked the question is quite amazing. He told him he had so many people in his ear telling him to do different things it was just overwhelming. Going to be important that the QB coach and Steichen give him one consistent message.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Nickster said:

That 1st paragraph.  Oof. 

The game has changed though.  But oof. 

The results of this AR experiment potentially could change a lot.

If it works, it's a massive data point for the idea that teams can just grab just any uber-athletic QB with a big arm and mold him into an NFL-caliber passer. I mean...if you can fix/develop a QB that young with that type of short-area accuracy, in theory, you could fix/develop just about any QB (assuming they have the drive).

How does that impact the top of the draft? Will more QBs go in R1? Or will teams start taking a lot more Day 2 swings on traitsy QBs?

Also, what does that mean for QBs in college? If a QB can just get paid and get drafted by a team eager to develop him with NFL coaching, why go back? What value is there in trying to put another college season on tape if teams are already fine with betting on upside? I imagine we would see a lot more guys coming out after 3 years, regardless of how well that season went.

It's very interesting. Like any sport, there are traditionalists that probably hate it. 

12 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

What Richardson said to him when asked the question is quite amazing. He told him he had so many people in his ear telling him to do different things it was just overwhelming. Going to be important that the QB coach and Steichen give him one consistent message.

The popular narrative was that he didn't get any coaching, but that sounds like it was too much coaching.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I’m of the belief that having a poor record this next season as Anthony learns and takes his lumps will actually benefit the team longterm. Then you can land a top prospect like a Marvin Harrison Jr or other top players to build around him. Or trade down for a haul. 

I would love Harrison Jr too but I think it will take a perfect storm for that to happen.  It’s not like he’s under the radar.  If Ohio State has quarterback issues and he doesn’t have great numbers maybe.  Other than that all 32 teams will be after him.  I don’t see us having a top ten pick either.  If we could win 4 games with Ryan and the others and changing coaches mid season we can certainly do better than that with AR and Minchew and Shane.  We have a very good roster.

• Like 1